Old April 9th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default No change since code lifted (long)

From: Mike Coslo on Sun, 08 Apr 2007
22:03:39 -0500

Subject: No change since code lifted (long)

wrote in
On Apr 7, 11:48�pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote
On Apr 7, 8:33�pm, Mike Coslo wrot
"KØHB" wrote in
On Apr 7, 8:32 am, wrote:

And lets not forget the ever popular "How to sound like a Lid"

Is it part of the above article?

Why would you ask that? The lid article is part of a long running
little "joke" that I've seen around the net and in a few photocopies. It
isn't in that pdf I directed people to.

Mike, you have to understand that Jimmie WANTS to TALK
ABOUT It. For some strange reason. If you don't, he
will pester you about it and pester and pester until
you give in... :-(

The PDF you gave a link to is a no-nonsense guide to repeater
useage...and from the ARRL TIS also. There's nothing there
that is mean or sarcastic or anything else but good advice
that is also Common Sense.

Is it electro-politically incorrect to even say that hams should
operate certain ways and not others?

[yes, morsemen have been saying such for years...:-) ]

Amateur-electro-politically, that is...

Use your callsign as directed by the FCC.

Use the repeater taking into account the procedures that make the
repeater work correctly (resets, courtesy beeps, tails, etc)

Keep it clean as per the FCC rules. Remember that your mother and
children could be listening.

play nice. Use good manners.

That can all be fleshed out some, but we don't need much more than
that.

Does that mean that we might add some new words - or even return
some old ones? You bet!

Roger that, Mike! :-)

The really great part of all this is that no one is forcing us to
use those words. I personally cringe when I hear someone speak "HIHI". I
mean if it's funny, then laugh! But if a person wants to say it, that is
their right, and I'm not going to stop 'em. If someone is using "my
handle is" and everyone else is saying "my name is", they will either
catch on or not. Either way, it hurts no one. If it bothers a person,
they can just not communicate with the so called "CB'er.

Sounds reasonable to me.

"My name is Len...and my handle is that of an axe or the
pistol grip of a Beretta...what's yours?" Usually gets
some proper-speech-authority-judge-and-jury some pause... :-)

It doesn't hurt at all to mention my license class, either.

If they get argumentative, I'll just tell them to contact
Special Counsel Riley Hollingsworth at the FCC. Haven't
had to do that yet, but give it time. :-)

Is there anything in the "How to be a lid" article that is good
operating technique?

Whatever good there is in the article is hidden under layers of
sarcasm, mean spirit, and a spectacularly failed attempt at humor.

I agree...but, as I said, Jimmie Wants To Talk About It!

When he gets an idea he's like a Cylon..."many copies, and
they have a Plan!"

[reference to "Battlestar Gallactica" on the SciFi channel]

How are newcomers supposed to learn operating better operating
techniques if nobody tells them? Sure, ridicule isn't the best way
to teach, but what's the best way?

Example.

EXAMPLE...exactly! Roger that and ten-four! :-)

Oh, dear, I've offended a morseman, I think...change that to
"Fine Business, Old Man" taken from the Hymnal of the Church
of St Hiram's Conventional Wisdom ("CW") Psalm Pilot as
"FB OM" in morse.

QSL? :-)

73, Len AF6AY

Old April 9th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: Mike Coslo on Sun, 08 Apr 2007
22:03:39 -0500

wrote in
On Apr 7, 11:48�pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote
On Apr 7, 8:33�pm, Mike Coslo wrot
"K�HB" wrote in
On Apr 7, 8:32 am, wrote:

And lets not forget the ever popular "How to sound like a Lid"
Is it part of the above article?

Why would you ask that? The lid article is part of a long running
little "joke" that I've seen around the net and in a few photocopies. It
isn't in that pdf I directed people to.

Mike, you have to understand that Jimmie WANTS to TALK
ABOUT It.

Well, Lennie, it would seem that Mike WANTS to TALK ABOUT it.
If he didn't, he'd likely not have made the post and included the url.

For some strange reason.

For some strange reason what?

If you don't, he
will pester you about it and pester and pester until
you give in... :-(

Is it your view that someone asks a question because he has a plan to
pester you?

The PDF you gave a link to is a no-nonsense guide to repeater
useage...and from the ARRL TIS also. There's nothing there
that is mean or sarcastic or anything else but good advice
that is also Common Sense.

Mike might have a problem with it. He included the url for it in a post
where he discussed some radio amateurs telling others how to talk.
There must have been a reason that he included it. Perhaps Mike sees
something unpleasant in the ARRL guidelines for repeater use. There's a
very good chance that he wants to TALK ABOUT it.

Dave K8MN
Old April 9th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

oups.com...
From: Mike Coslo on Sun, 08 Apr 2007
22:03:39 -0500

wrote in
On Apr 7, 11:48?pm, Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote
On Apr 7, 8:33?pm, Mike Coslo wrot
"KHB" wrote in
On Apr 7, 8:32 am, wrote:

[...]

Len I misut isue with what seem to be teh logic of your potion

Old April 12th 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"AF6AY" wrote in
oups.com:

From: Mike Coslo on Sun, 08 Apr 2007
22:03:39 -0500

On Apr 7, 8:32 am, wrote:

And lets not forget the ever popular "How to sound like a Lid"

Is it part of the above article?

Why would you ask that? The lid article is part of a long
running little "joke" that I've seen around the net and in a few
photocopies.It isn't in that pdf I directed people to.

Mike, you have to understand that Jimmie WANTS to TALK
ABOUT It. For some strange reason. If you don't, he
will pester you about it and pester and pester until
you give in... :-(

Oh, that's fine, I don't mind chatting about it. I do find it a
little disturbing though.

Bear in mind that I understand that in all things, groups of people
start to have their own little language. When I contest, I talk like a
contester - mostly. Took me quite a while to figure out what they were
texting on RTTY. And I had a chuckle when I figured out that much of CW
communication is kind of the original L33T! No wonder I had a rough time
copying it for so long. But I will not presume to tell people that they
have to speak, key, or text in some manner that I approve.

The PDF you gave a link to is a no-nonsense guide to repeater
useage...and from the ARRL TIS also. There's nothing there
that is mean or sarcastic or anything else but good advice
that is also Common Sense.

That's why I was wondering abouut it. No way that second and
insulting piece could be connected to the first - and the first was okay
until we learnd how to talk.

snippage

Does that mean that we might add some new words - or even
return
some old ones? You bet!

Roger that, Mike! :-)

Funny you should mention that. A local Ham is a Truck driver. He is
also a new General. The inside of his truck is techno-geek heaven. He's
into APRS, HF, VHF, and has just about every Techie gadget there is. He
is also a Gentleman, and a decent human being.

He does say "Roger that" when he agrees with another person.

So.

Who is a better Ham, this guy, or a 20wpm Extra who lectures people
on how they should speak, and otherwise doesn't do much but grouse about
the great unwashed newcomers? (note that before anyone takes umbrage,
that is a hypothetical 20wpm Extra - it's a composite of a lot of what
I've been hearing. The new guy is real.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

No change since code lifted Steve General 3 May 5th 07 03:58 PM
No change since code lifted Steve Swap 1 April 10th 07 02:32 PM
No change since code lifted (long) [email protected] Policy 0 April 8th 07 06:07 AM
Why does a change in jumper length change amplifer outout? Jim Homebrew 10 July 15th 05 05:57 PM
Balloon Lifted Antenna The Dawn Soliloquy Shortwave 9 July 8th 03 06:34 AM