Old April 28th 07, 06:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default fcc rules cw id automatic

On Apr 27, 7:10�pm, John Smith I wrote:
AF6AY wrote:

* ...
* ... That isn't what amateur radio

is for, nor is it regulated to be just anything anyone can dream up in
front of a computer screen.

Len:

The "Man in the maze" did come up with a point, although I think his
focus was in a different direction ...

Iitoi just wants to be an old legend in his mind. :-)

Yanno, that text of yours, above, is too bad, I guess what I seen as the
only redeeming aspect of amateur radio has died.

I always valued the "experimenter amateur" who could and did (in the
very early days, and finally tapering down to nothing) affect the course
of radio.

JS, the experimenter amateurs are Out There and you don't need a
Sculley from the FBI to find them. :-)

Trouble is, the experimenters are busy experimenting while all the
olde-tymers are sitting around gassing about how they got Extra
class at 14, made hundreds of kilos of contacts, can do CW at
fantastic rates, and have expensive equipment to drool over. And
if they aren't, then they are busy knocking anyone who dares
Challenge Their Authority! [They Rule!] :-)

The first experimenter who made a single PIC frequency counter
for HF was a Brit and not licensed as a radio amateur! Takes a
while to do the trace on that, but it be true. Ever USE a Vector
Network Analyzer (VNA)? I have. Expensive beasts. Yet several
amateur experimenters have made their own and published plans
or have kits available for it...at down-to-earth prices, even if not
for the $2 some cheap hams insist they must be. Some VNAs are
incorporated in auto antenna tuners and antenna analyzers.

Ever really look inside one of the "radio modems" that can handle
data in most any format? Stand-alone goodies needing only a
display and keyboard ('dumb terminal") to do I/O on the air.
My IC-746Pro does 5-level RTTY decoding to a little 2-line
text display on its front panel (as well as tossing the digitized
signals out to peripheral equipment). Doesn't do 8-level at
100 WPM but I won't ask for the world in it. Everything in that
transceiver centers around its microprocessor suite.

I guess now we just sit and wait around for the gov't to come up with
something innovative (in which case that is NEVER!) or some private
concern who will come up with it to make $$$ (or, cha-ching!)

G3PLX came up with PSK31. There's two digital voice adapaters
available for 3 KHz voice-bandwidth use, from Japan and Germany
as to the experimenters' origin.

If you want to stick around and experiment with using PC soundcards
as some prime mover for experimentation, feel free. Dozens have
already done that for a variety of purposes. You think ALL
experimenters
are altruistic and are doing it solely for "love" or something?
Sorry.
No deal. Unless they have Donald Trump bank accounts to live from.

There have been some RF gadgets that automatically respond
to interrogations for at least 30 years, not counting the transponders
used in Civil Aviation and military. Those aren't amateur.

You want to be an experimenter? Go ahead. If you got a plan,
do it, don't look for "appreciation" ahead of time just on an IDEA.
Problem is, too many just jabber about ideas which haven't been
anywhere close to fully formed or analyzed, even on paper. :-(

JS, "new ideas" are seldom, if ever, realized in jabbering in
newsgroups or blogs. That's just the usual dreaming. A new
idea (on equipment) had better be breadboarded and analyzed,
tested FIRST. "Appreciation" and "congratulations" have to
wait until the experimenter sweats a bit on his/her gizmo.

How about coming up with this fantastic all-speed, fully-
adapatable morse decoder that can work down to the noise
floor? I've seen one that comes close to that, done in nothing
more than software. Better than what is/was on the market.
Done by just a software experimenter. Not even a licensee in
radio. Just the ticket for software honchos.

73, Len AF6AY

PS: You forgot "apple pie" in your last political paragraph.

Old May 3rd 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Apr 27, 10:02 pm, " kb9rqz@kookhouse wrote:

why do you comit fraud?

New FCC Rules [email protected] General 20 October 19th 06 03:49 AM
New FCC Rules Slow Code Swap 16 October 19th 06 03:49 AM
FCC rules on 27.43~27.86Hz [email protected] Shortwave 1 December 6th 05 05:54 PM
FCC rules on 27.43~27.86Hz [email protected] Shortwave 0 December 6th 05 01:58 AM
God Rules Over ALL Preacher Shortwave 2 January 31st 04 02:11 AM