Old April 27th 07, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default fcc rules cw id automatic

Hi Folks:
This is relative to a business band actually, but I can't find an
apropriate group. Anyway,;
This isn't a repeater, but a remote half-duplex radio that uses only
one frequency. Narrow FM.
CW ID's. We're going encoded audio for security reasons and was
wondering what the latest policy is for CW ID's. One said every 10
minutes while in communication, and once an hour when not. Then it
seems the FCC is reconsidering CWIDs all together. So, does this mean
non-coded voice ID? I was going to program a PIC or basic stamp to
send ID. Or is this required at all anymore?
Thanks!
Harry

Old April 27th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

HarryHydro wrote:

... I was going to program a PIC or basic stamp to
send ID. Or is this required at all anymore?
Thanks!
Harry

I like your idea of programming the PIC.

While you are at it, get a solid state relay or reed switch and a driver
transistor to drive the relay/reed, then, program the PIC to key the
xmitter with the relay/reed and for a few measly bucks you are off and
running.

Regards,
JS
Old April 27th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Apr 27, 9:58 am, John Smith I wrote:
HarryHydro wrote:
... I was going to program a PIC or basic stamp to
send ID. Or is this required at all anymore?
Thanks!
Harry

I like your idea of programming the PIC.

While you are at it, get a solid state relay or reed switch and a driver
transistor to drive the relay/reed, then, program the PIC to key the
xmitter with the relay/reed and for a few measly bucks you are off and
running.

Regards,
JS

Here's a pic of my PIC12C509 that I use on the LOWFER frequencies. I
was initially wanting to put this on a model rocket! Fox hunt kind of
thing. It sends code on something like 185kc. Clock frequency is
something like 8kc. Pretty easy to program. I'd like to play with
the timers for a CW id that needs to wait 60 minutes. .
http://www.harryhydro.com/hlstuff/lowfr.jpg
Thanks for the reply!
Harry

Old April 27th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

HarryHydro wrote:

Here's a pic of my PIC12C509 that I use on the LOWFER frequencies. I
was initially wanting to put this on a model rocket! Fox hunt kind of
thing. It sends code on something like 185kc. Clock frequency is
something like 8kc. Pretty easy to program. I'd like to play with
the timers for a CW id that needs to wait 60 minutes. .
http://www.harryhydro.com/hlstuff/lowfr.jpg
Thanks for the reply!
Harry

Harry:

I'd be interested in a look at the schematic, you have it handy?

Thanks in advance,
JS
Old April 27th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Apr 27, 5:20�am, HarryHydro wrote:
Hi Folks:
* *This is relative to a business band actually, but I can't find an
apropriate group. Anyway,;
This isn't a repeater, but a remote half-duplex radio that uses only
one frequency. Narrow FM.
CW ID's. *We're going encoded audio for security reasons and was
wondering what the latest policy is for CW ID's. *One said every 10
minutes while in communication, and once an hour when not. Then it
seems the FCC is reconsidering CWIDs all together. So, does this mean
non-coded voice ID? *I was going to program a PIC or basic stamp to
send ID. *Or is this required at all anymore?
Thanks!
Harry

The FCC doesn't just regulate amateur radio. "Business bands"
regulations are covered in another Part of Title 47 CFR. You can look
those up at www.fcc.gov and click on the Regulations link at the left
edge of the home page.

If you are going to use amateur radio bands then you have only a few
choices, but ALL of them must be under the control of the Control
Operator (the licensee). You can have one-way automatic transmission
using a Beacon mode (minimal information, intended solely for others
to observe propagation effects to their location). You can have
automatic operation as with Repeaters where an incoming transmission
is sent out on another frequency. You can have "telecommand" (better
known as remote control) at low power but only under specific
conditions: either remote control of devices such as model vehicles;
or as the control of a transmitter on the amateur bands. What you
seem to want (a security service of some sort) just isn't covered
under U.S. amateur radio regulations. That isn't what amateur radio
is for, nor is it regulated to be just anything anyone can dream up in
front of a computer screen.

Hard-nosed reply? You betcha. Think my reply was hard? Wait until
some federal marshalls and an FCC officer knock on your door...

AF6AY

Old April 27th 07, 09:16 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF6AY View Post
Hard-nosed reply? You betcha. Think my reply was hard? Wait until
some federal marshalls and an FCC officer knock on your door...

AF6AY
More like rude, obnoxious, and non-responsive to the question.

The OP was specifically asking for the RULES AS THEY APPLY TO BUSINESS BAND and making an honest effort to find out how to comply with the rules.

Yes, this is an amateur radio newsgroup, and perhaps the query is mildly off topic, but so are your long boring solliliquies about your 50 years or so as a bench technician.

The Man in the Maze
QRL at Baboquivari Peak, AZ
__________________
The Man in the Maze
QRV at Baboquivari Peak
Old April 27th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

AF6AY wrote:

Hard-nosed reply? You betcha. Think my reply was hard? Wait until
some federal marshalls and an FCC officer knock on your door...

AF6AY

Oh yeah, I forgot the disclaimer.

"I am only commenting on the technical details. For advice and
counseling on the law you should seek the advice of a competent attorney
(or a crooked one--whatever works for 'ya! grin)

Regards,
JS
Old April 28th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Apr 27, 1:11�pm, John Smith I wrote:
AF6AY wrote:

* ...

Hard-nosed reply? *You betcha. *Think my reply was hard? *Wait until
some federal marshalls and an FCC officer knock on your door...

AF6AY

Oh yeah, I forgot the disclaimer.

"I am only commenting on the technical details. *For advice and
counseling on the law you should seek the advice of a competent attorney
(or a crooked one--whatever works for 'ya! grin)

"Disclaimers" don't work with FCC Special Counsel Riley
Hollingsworth. If you don't get biten by the K2 ASP I will be
looking forward to reading about JS on the FCC Enforcement
Actions page...

73, Len AF6AY

Old April 28th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

AF6AY wrote:

... That isn't what amateur radio
is for, nor is it regulated to be just anything anyone can dream up in
front of a computer screen.

Len:

The "Man in the maze" did come up with a point, although I think his
focus was in a different direction ...

Yanno, that text of yours, above, is too bad, I guess what I seen as the
only redeeming aspect of amateur radio has died.

I always valued the "experimenter amateur" who could and did (in the
very early days, and finally tapering down to nothing) affect the course
of radio.

I guess now we just sit and wait around for the gov't to come up with
something innovative (in which case that is NEVER!) or some private
concern who will come up with it to make $$$ (or, cha-ching!)

Bummer, when you think about it, that is at the root of what has killed
American/Christian values, the family, motherhood, brotherhood and the
colors of green and grey

Regards,
JS
Old April 28th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Apr 27, 12:16�pm, Iitoi wrote:
AF6AY;567445 Wrote:

Hard-nosed reply? *You betcha. *Think my reply was hard? *Wait until
some federal marshalls and an FCC officer knock on your door...

AF6AY

More like rude, obnoxious, and non-responsive to the question.

The OP was specifically asking for the RULES AS THEY APPLY TO BUSINESS
BAND *and making an honest effort to find out how to comply with the
rules.

Yes, this is an amateur radio newsgroup, and perhaps the query is
mildly off topic, but so are your long boring solliliquies about your
50 years or so as a bench technician.

Now now, Skeleton Man, let's not make rude, obnoxious, and non-
responsive comments. :-)

The prime site for questions on BUSINESS BAND radio operation is
www.fcc.gov and their Wireless Telecommunications Bureau. They
can and do answer questions specifically on PLMRS (Private Land
Mobile Radio Service). Whole different kettle of worms.

It's better than being some kind of Amerind "Legend" come to life.

73, Len AF6AY

New FCC Rules [email protected] General 20 October 19th 06 03:49 AM
New FCC Rules Slow Code Swap 16 October 19th 06 03:49 AM
FCC rules on 27.43~27.86Hz [email protected] Shortwave 1 December 6th 05 05:54 PM
FCC rules on 27.43~27.86Hz [email protected] Shortwave 0 December 6th 05 01:58 AM
God Rules Over ALL Preacher Shortwave 2 January 31st 04 02:11 AM