RadioBanter

-   -   The Pool (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26579-pool.html)

N2EY July 11th 03 05:27 PM

wrote in message ...

They

{meaning the FCC}

have other incentives, too. One is minimizing bad operators who
will QRM services in ARS or in other bands. Another may or may not be
to discourage participation in ARS and whittle away bandwidth for
lucrative reallocation, or at least to keep it small enough that the
need for new bandwidth is minimized.

How about this motivation:

One of FCC's biggest headaches in the avocational-radio area is the
pirate/freebander/bootlegger, who simply ignores FCC rules and goes on
the air using whatever mode/frequency/power/equipment/ID strikes their
fancy. Enforcement agains such folks is more challenging because
they're not in the database and they don't really care about "the
rules" anyway.

This is not a new problem - the FCC rules about RF power amplifiers
covering 12 and 10 meters were a response to these folks and the
manufacturers who sold to them, not any problem in ham radio. Those
rules date from 1978.

Perhaps FCC figures that if they make it easier to get an amateur
license, there will be more hams and fewer
pirates/freebanders/bootleggers. And if they get out of line,
enforcement will be easier.

A few weeks ago, FCC went after several hams who were operating
illegally on about 26 MHz. These were relatively new hams - wonder
what they did before they got their tickets?

Waddya think?

73 de Jim, N2EY

WWHD

Phil Kane July 11th 03 09:06 PM

On 11 Jul 2003 09:27:27 -0700, N2EY wrote:

One of FCC's biggest headaches in the avocational-radio area is the
pirate/freebander/bootlegger, who simply ignores FCC rules and goes on
the air using whatever mode/frequency/power/equipment/ID strikes their
fancy. Enforcement agains such folks is more challenging because
they're not in the database and they don't really care about "the
rules" anyway.

This is not a new problem - the FCC rules about RF power amplifiers
covering 12 and 10 meters were a response to these folks and the
manufacturers who sold to them, not any problem in ham radio. Those
rules date from 1978.

This sort of thing was debated amongst the cognoscenti in the hard
times before the CB license was abandoned by pressure from the Ford
Administration (Remember "First Momma" Betty Ford ??). Here are some
scenarios:

Imagined Scenario #1

Judge to Prosecutor - "What has this defendant violated?"

Prosecutor to Judge - "He operated a transmitter without a license"

Judge to Prosecutor - "Is there anything barring him from getting
a license?"

Prosecutor to Judge - "No, your honor"

Judge to Prosecutor - "Will he be legal when he gets one?"

Prosecutor to Judge - "Yes, your honor"

Prosecutor to Defendant - "I order you to get a license. Next Case"

Imagined Scenario #2:

Congress to FCC - "What is your number one headache that is costing
a lot of money?"

FCC to Congress - "Tracking down and punishing all the unlicensed
CB operators"

Congress to FCC - "Well, just drop the CB license requirement. Then
you won't have an "unlicensed" CB operator problem
any more"

Unfortunately, both of them were real and the FCC did the latter.

Perhaps FCC figures that if they make it easier to get an amateur
license, there will be more hams and fewer
pirates/freebanders/bootleggers. And if they get out of line,
enforcement will be easier.

Not at all. It's the same amount of work to DF the bozo, and the
penalty phase is just as difficult.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

N2EY October 5th 03 03:29 PM

So far (note that two predicted dates are in the past!):

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
Kim: June 1, 2008

If I missed anybody, please add your guess to the list.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo October 5th 03 04:22 PM

N2EY wrote:

So far (note that two predicted dates are in the past!):

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
Kim: June 1, 2008

If I missed anybody, please add your guess to the list.

KB3EIA - minimum 4 years from date of requiremen drop.

- Mik KB3EIA -

Alun Palmer October 5th 03 05:36 PM

Mike Coslo wrote in
et:

N2EY wrote:

So far (note that two predicted dates are in the past!):

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
Kim: June 1, 2008

If I missed anybody, please add your guess to the list.

KB3EIA - minimum 4 years from date of requiremen drop.

- Mik KB3EIA -

That would be July 5, 2007, then. I don't think it will be that long,
though. I'm on the list for May 1, 2004.

BTW, Luxembourg just ditched the code test. There's a new country every
couple of weeks.

Bert Craig October 5th 03 07:42 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
So far (note that two predicted dates are in the past!):

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
Kim: June 1, 2008

If I missed anybody, please add your guess to the list.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Quite pleased to *lose* this one.

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI

N2EY November 29th 03 11:58 PM

So far (note that two predicted dates are in the pas, with two more only weeks
away):

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
KB3EIA: July 5, 2007 ("minimum 4 years from date of requirement drop")

KØHB January 5th 04 12:27 AM

"N2EY" wrote

Here's an update on various estimates of when Morse code testing will be
eliminated in the US. Note that four predicted dates are in the past.

Given that ARRL likely will lobby for continuing a code test for Amateur
Extra (12-13WPM?) applicants, I predict that Morse testing will not be
eliminated in this decade.

While it's a cop out, it's probably the only way they can get 15 politicians
to sign up for a "New Amateur Radio Plan" without a palace revolt on their
hands at the BoD meeting. They'll be able to go back to East Overshoe, Iowa
and Resume Speed, Arizona and mumble platitudes to their membership about
how "We've opened HF to non-Morse applicants, but where it really counts we
actually increased the Morse requirement."

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

73, de Hans, K0HB