RadioBanter

-   -   The Pool (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26579-pool.html)

N2EY July 1st 03 11:53 PM

The Pool

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

Actually, Alun, I'd say it was the other way around. The shouting is
all overand the test continues until the paperwork is completed.

Good one!

I thought you'd like it.

The unanimously agreed
language, now passed through all the commitee levels, makes it
optional.

Maybe that's a solution for the FCC. Have code tests at 5, 13 and 20
wpm. Just make them optional.

I think that would be fine, but I don't think the FCC would go for it.

WA2ISE's idea has merit. Might be a way to get widespread support.

It just has to be nodded through at the plenary session. This allows
those countries mentioned, plus Germany to retain CW testing without
it seeming that it no longer relates to ITU rules, whilst also
allowing every other country to dump CW teasting.

We oughta have a pool on how long it takes The Congress and FCC to get
through the various levels of rubberstamping. My wild guess is no more
than a year from today.

I would think about the same, but surely we should each guess a particular
date, and the winner should be whoever is closest.

K2ASP has MArch 15, 2004. I have April 15, 2004. Pick a date!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim Hampton July 2nd 03 01:07 AM

Jim,

Can I pick April 1, 2004? April fool! :)

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"N2EY" wrote in message

K2ASP has MArch 15, 2004. I have April 15, 2004. Pick a date!

73 de Jim, N2EY

---

Alun Palmer July 2nd 03 03:03 AM

"Jim Hampton" wrote in
:

"N2EY" wrote in message

K2ASP has MArch 15, 2004. I have April 15, 2004. Pick a date!

73 de Jim, N2EY

---

I'm going for May 1, 2004

N2EY July 2nd 03 09:23 AM

In article , "Jim Hampton"
writes:

Jim,

Can I pick April 1, 2004? April fool! :)

Nobody has it yet, so it's yours!

So far:

K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY July 2nd 03 01:46 PM

"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message ...
Jim Hampton wrote:

Jim,

Can I pick April 1, 2004? April fool! :)

Dang, you beat me out, Jim! Seems FCC likes April Fools Day when it
comes to the ARS. Tha last slam was on April 1, 2000 IFIRC.

If you mean the recent restructuring - that was April 15, 2000.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dave Heil July 2nd 03 03:28 PM

N2EY wrote:

So far:

K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004

I think you guys are being too optimistic. Odds are that Anderson won't
attempt obtaining an amateur license before sometime in 2011.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil July 2nd 03 09:20 PM

Dave Heil wrote:

N2EY wrote:

So far:

K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004

I think you guys are being too optimistic. Odds are that Anderson won't
attempt obtaining an amateur license before sometime in 2011.

Never mind. I thought this was the "When will Len Anderson deign
amateur radio with his presence" pool.

Dave K8MN

Kim W5TIT July 4th 03 03:40 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

It just has to be nodded through at the plenary session. This allows
those countries mentioned, plus Germany to retain CW testing without
it seeming that it no longer relates to ITU rules, whilst also
allowing every other country to dump CW teasting.

We oughta have a pool on how long it takes The Congress and FCC to get
through the various levels of rubberstamping. My wild guess is no more
than a year from today.

I would think about the same, but surely we should each guess a

particular
date, and the winner should be whoever is closest.

K2ASP has MArch 15, 2004. I have April 15, 2004. Pick a date!

73 de Jim, N2EY

OK. So we're picking dates for when the CW requirement (as it exists now)
will be dropped? Gosh. I think it's going to take a lot longer than a
year. Let's say five years; so, by June of 2008.

Heh heh, the real test here is whether many of us will be around RRAP to
roundabout on it when it happens, unless it does happen in the short term.

Kim W5TIT

N2EY July 4th 03 02:00 PM

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

Well Kim, the ITU have actually abolished it effective July 5th, 2003. Do
you really think it will take the FCC five years to implement? I don't
think that even they are that slow!

Kim has a point, Alun, but I think 5 years is a bit much. Look how long it took
'em to do the Restructuring. And we're still waiting on some NPRMs.

But I'm sticking with the date I posted. Less than a year.

73 de Jim, N2EY

lk July 4th 03 04:24 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
So far:

K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004

KC8EPO: Dec 20, 2003

Larry

N2EY July 4th 03 05:23 PM

In article , "Kim"
writes:

We'll see. I think it's going to depend upon the fervor for which the
amateur radio community approaches the FCC and all that bit of "stuff."

There will be proposals all over the place. The smart money will wait for
treaty ratification.

Tradition is a strong thing, and I think tradition may have a lot to do with
how timely the cancellation of a CW requirement will be.

Look at how much effect 'tradition' had on the restructuring. Zip, nil, nada.

The restructuring R&O made it clear, IMHO, that the one and only reason FCC
kept Element 1 was the treaty requirement. It would be illogical for FCC to
keep Element 1 now that there's no more treaty requirement. Even though we're
talking govt. regulations, I can't imagine FCC being that illogical and
reversing itself.

--

So the big question is: What OTHER changes should be made?

73 de Jim, N2EY

WWHD

Bert Craig July 4th 03 06:33 PM

"lk" wrote in message

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
So far:

K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004

KC8EPO: Dec 20, 2003

WA2SI: Sept 13, 2003

Larry

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI

Robert Casey July 4th 03 09:34 PM

N2EY wrote:

The restructuring R&O made it clear, IMHO, that the one and only reason FCC
kept Element 1 was the treaty requirement. It would be illogical for FCC to
keep Element 1 now that there's no more treaty requirement. Even though we're
talking govt. regulations, I can't imagine FCC being that illogical and
reversing itself.

If it's the same people in charge at the FCC, yes.

N2EY July 5th 03 01:23 PM

In article , "Kim" dont
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"
writes:

We'll see. I think it's going to depend upon the fervor for which the
amateur radio community approaches the FCC and all that bit of "stuff."

There will be proposals all over the place. The smart money will wait for
treaty ratification.

Tradition is a strong thing, and I think tradition may have a lot to do
with how timely the cancellation of a CW requirement will be.

Look at how much effect 'tradition' had on the restructuring. Zip, nil,
nada.

True, but that was for a *reduction* in the requirement. I'm not so sure
there will be major support for a complete elimination of the CW
requriement--in some form or another.

The majority of comments to the Restructuring were for at least two code
speeds. FCC said no.

IMHO the majority opinion today, even among those who haven't taken a code
test, is that Element 1 should stay. But there is no requirement that FCC
follow majority opinion.

And we may not even get the chance to express an opinion. Once the treaty is
ratified, FCC has the authority to simply dump Element 1 with no NPRM or NOI.

The pity is that we must go through this again.

Tell it to those who will write the proposals to dump Element 1

The amateur community is
still not over the backlash from the changes a few years ago.

Heck, there are some who are not over the changes of 1968-69 - even though they
were not hams back then!

You think this is bad, Kim, you shoulda heard the wailing and moaning and
gnashing of teeth back in the '60s when "Incentive Licensing" was proposed and
enacted.

The restructuring R&O made it clear, IMHO, that the one and only reason
FCC kept Element 1 was the treaty requirement. It would be illogical for FCC
to keep Element 1 now that there's no more treaty requirement. Even though
we're talking govt. regulations, I can't imagine FCC being that illogical

and
reversing itself.

heh heh, and that was tongue-in-cheek, right?

Yes and no ;-)

The FCC is a government entity=large corporate entity. Right?

Right.

At least that's the way I see it. I
wonder how much shareholders realize that there is complete insanity inside
the realm of large corporate entities who constantly spend huge dollars on
organizational/operational changes, often just to change again in less than
a year!

All true. But in the area of code testing, FCC has been constantly moving in
the direction of reduction/elimination for at least 28 years.

Of course that doesn't mean they will act logically now that the end is in
sight.

Are you saying we should keep Element 1, Kim?
--

So the big question is: What OTHER changes should be made?

73 de Jim, N2EY

WWHD

OK, what is WWHD?

Send me an email. I won't abuse or share the address.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY July 5th 03 01:23 PM

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

N2EY wrote:

The restructuring R&O made it clear, IMHO, that the one and only reason FCC
kept Element 1 was the treaty requirement. It would be illogical for FCC to
keep Element 1 now that there's no more treaty requirement. Even though

we're
talking govt. regulations, I can't imagine FCC being that illogical and
reversing itself.

If it's the same people in charge at the FCC, yes.

I don't think that's much of a factor, Robert.

Look at the history of code testing, and amateur license testing in general, in
the USA over the past 28 years. FCC has been slowly nibbling away at it, or
trying to, since at least 1975. Little by little, the requirements have been
reduced and the tests made easier to pass until now the single remaining test
is about as basic as can be made. The only exception is the removal of
multiple-choice code tests.

I doubt very much that FCC will change direction at this point.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bill Sohl July 5th 03 02:01 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim" dont

writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim"

writes:

[...]

Do you seriously believe that the 200 thousand or more
non-code techs support keeping element 1? And, as you
note below...this ain't no ballot issue.

And we may not even get the chance to express an opinion. Once the treaty

is
ratified, FCC has the authority to simply dump Element 1 with no NPRM or

NOI.

Zactly!

The pity is that we must go through this again.

Tell it to those who will write the proposals to dump Element 1

The amateur community is
still not over the backlash from the changes a few years ago.

Heck, there are some who are not over the changes of 1968-69 - even though

they
were not hams back then!

I must be living in a cave then as I've
yet to meet anyone that wasn't a ham
prior to 68/69 yet is complaining
of the changes made then.

You think this is bad, Kim, you shoulda heard the wailing and moaning and
gnashing of teeth back in the '60s when "Incentive Licensing" was proposed

and
enacted.

BUT that denied existing privilegs to many hams...espeially Generals.
No such LOSS of privileges would accompany the end of Element 1.

(SNIP)

At least that's the way I see it. I
wonder how much shareholders realize that there is complete insanity

inside
the realm of large corporate entities who constantly spend huge dollars

on
organizational/operational changes, often just to change again in less

than
a year!

All true. But in the area of code testing, FCC has been constantly moving

in
the direction of reduction/elimination for at least 28 years.

Of course that doesn't mean they will act logically now that the end is in
sight.

Are you saying we should keep Element 1, Kim?

Should be an interesting answer :-)

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Kim W5TIT July 5th 03 06:39 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim" dont

writes:

At least that's the way I see it. I
wonder how much shareholders realize that there is complete insanity

inside
the realm of large corporate entities who constantly spend huge dollars

on
organizational/operational changes, often just to change again in less

than
a year!

All true. But in the area of code testing, FCC has been constantly moving

in
the direction of reduction/elimination for at least 28 years.

Of course that doesn't mean they will act logically now that the end is in
sight.

Are you saying we should keep Element 1, Kim?
--

Oh goodness, what a loaded question, and that is very astute of you (you'll
understand that comment much more than many here, I suspect GRIN). I

It is extremely disappointing to me to see that this hobby is so populated
by people who are so pleased with themselves and under the apparent
impression that a ham radio license includes the authority to gnash and hate
anyone different from themselves.

I believe that CW testing has promulgated such behavior as above. It is a
"governmental approval" for a specific mode, thereby warranting that anyone
who has taken and passed this mode test is, somehow, of a higher regard to
the FCC and, at least, to fellow hams.

Over time, the CW testing has (by many hams) been a filtering device to keep
their ideas of "no gooders" out of the hobby--promoting a "good 'ol boy"
concept. This is attitude is horrendous in a "goodwill" hobby, and displays
of it are terribly disturbing to me. As amateur radio operators we are
ambassadors of the United States. And, to get so petty as to some of the
arguments spoken in this newsgroup, and even more comments I hear on the
air, it makes me totally embarrassed to even bring the hobby of ham radio up
to anyone any more.

Now, all that given, I respect the tradition of CW. Contrary to such people
as Dick Carroll and Larry Roll, who go off half-cocked thinking they "know"
who someone is based on their dislike of the mode of CW, most of we who are
new to the hobby are quite respectful of the tradition of ham radio, and
know good talent on CW when we see it--indeed even love to watch someone
doing it.

Yes, I want CW to stay as a testing element and I think 5wpm is sufficient.
I also think it should be sending OR receiving (not both), and I think that
waivers should only be given upon the agreement of 2 doctors that a certain
handicap is, indeed, the complaint of any particular individual. Heck,
maybe the Federal Gov't. could even come up with approved doctors--they
approve VEs, right? I hear too many stories of hams who have no business
being any class of ham where CW was required--because they DON'T know CW.

People such as those mentioned earlier here are reprehensible in their
opinion (in *my* opinion GRIN), and it is their behavior that does more to
harm ham radio than the choices others make NOT to learn CW or who choose
not to use CW once they've passed and exam requirement. I am happy to have
*anyone* in the hobby--even those with not-so-great-operating practices, as
long as they are friendly, promote ham radio as a positive experience, and
encourage others to simply JOIN, not to GET TO EXTRA.

Kim W5TIT

Kim W5TIT July 5th 03 06:50 PM

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message

The pity is that we must go through this again. The amateur community

is
still not over the backlash from the changes a few years ago.

Don't let the rantings in this newsgroup serve as an indicator.
I hear nothing being discussed on the air and even if a few
diehards are ****ed off, they'll either get over it someday or
die with their own complaining attitudes.

While it's true that I have not even listened to amateur radio in quite a
while--probably at least six months anyway--the last time I had a radio on
there was still quite frequent "intonations" around here that express dismay
and a great divide between longer-licensed amateurs and newer-licensed
amateurs. My opinions certainly do not emanate from this newsgroup--I
shudder to think that you'd believe that of me, Bill.

The restructuring R&O made it clear, IMHO, that the one and only

reason
reason FCC kept Element 1 was the treaty requirement. It would
be illogical for FCC to
keep Element 1 now that there's no more treaty requirement. Even

though
we're talking govt. regulations, I can't imagine
FCC being that illogical and reversing itself.

heh heh, and that was tongue-in-cheek, right? The FCC is a government
entity=large corporate entity. Right? At least that's the way I see

it.
wonder how much shareholders realize that there is complete insanity

inside
the realm of large corporate entities who constantly spend huge dollars

on
organizational/operational changes, often just to change again in less

than
a year!

Here's the question?
Tell us WHY the FCC wouldn't dump the code test now?

WOW, that is a good question. And, one I don't think I have a good answer
for. So, maybe the FCC will just drop it. The only thing I can generally
think of, is that they have no more "incentive" to drop it than to just
leave it as it is.

Kim W5TIT

Kim W5TIT July 5th 03 11:22 PM

wrote in message ...
"Kim W5TIT" writes:

It is extremely disappointing to me to see that this hobby is so
populated by people who are so pleased with themselves. . . [snip]

Ridiculous. All achievements encourage pride, which in some translates
into arrogance. If we beefed up the written tests, and eliminated CW,
then the arrogance would remain. It's the nature of the beast.

True, there are always those that are arrogant. However, is it possible
that the CW testing requirement enhances one's tendency to do that?

Over time, the CW testing has (by many hams) been a filtering device. .

.. [snip]

Barriers to entry have their uses. All the best organizations have
them. Compare CB radio, which has none.

I'd have to see some examples. I was not aware that "filtering" was that
widely in use.

As amateur radio operators we are ambassadors of the United States.

That's just a piece of rhetoric, used to help justify allocation of
spectrum by a post-world-war congress. Hams represent only themselves.

Well, I don't take it as a piece of rhetoric. I take it seriously.

I am happy to have *anyone* in the hobby--even those with
not-so-great-operating practices, . . . [snip]

Basically agree, depending what "not-so-great" means exactly. :-)

Regards,
Len.

There are those who get all upset over things such as someone saying "10-4"
or "turn my house around," etc. Or those that habitually just make a call
without checking to see if a freq is in use, etc.

Kim W5TIT
Sorry so short, but I've seen a few of my posts today that have some error
related to being too long...

[email protected] July 5th 03 11:37 PM

"Kim W5TIT" writes:
wrote:

...If we beefed up the written tests, and eliminated CW, then the
arrogance would remain. It's the nature of the beast.

True, there are always those that are arrogant. However, is it
possible that the CW testing requirement enhances one's tendency to
do that?

I doubt it--people are arrogant that they can drive a stick-shift. I
think anything that takes effort to attain, becomes a point of
pride--even if it's only the ability to spit into a cup without missing.

Barriers to entry have their uses. All the best organizations have
them. Compare CB radio, which has none.

I'd have to see some examples. I was not aware that "filtering" was
that widely in use.

They're in very wide use. The Army has physical exams and boot
camp. These reflect operational needs, but any DI will tell you that
there's more to it than that, and that a primary aspect of boot camp
is the hazing.

Many organizations use rank in this way; the various scouting
organizations, the elks, masons, the Grange, etc.

Many organizations, if not most, have an induction process followed by
a loyalty oath; the masons again, most religions, fraternities, the
Mafia. In the case of fraternities and the like, the induction process
involves hazing and tests of loyalty. In the case of religions, the
masons, the grange, etc., the induction process involves revealing
secrets, along with tests of loyalty. In the case of Mensa, it
involves taking an IQ test. (It should be noted that this tiny
requirement doesn't do much: most Mensa members never attend a single
meeting.)

Those organizations that demand various sorts of effort from their
members tend to receive the most loyalty. (I remember when CB was
pretty clean--even though the required license was a formality. My
parents let us use it freely, and the only problem we really saw was
congestion.)

That's just a piece of rhetoric, used to help justify allocation of
spectrum by a post-world-war congress. Hams represent only
themselves.

Well, I don't take it as a piece of rhetoric. I take it seriously.

I'm glad; it can only have a positive impact on one's conduct. Though
I wonder what your callsign tells our muslim neighbors about America,
ambassador W5TIT? ;-/

Basically agree, depending what "not-so-great" means exactly. :-)

There are those who get all upset over things such as someone saying
"10-4"...

Anyone who says "10-4", and isn't a cop, is a poser[*]. The only
correct response is "Roger Dodger, copy that."

Regards,
Len.

[*] Anyone who spells it "poseur", is also a poser.

Phil Kane July 6th 03 12:00 AM

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 08:38:38 -0400, Bill Sohl wrote:

Here's the question?
Tell us WHY the FCC wouldn't dump the code test now?

Because it's the summertime and the chances of some key person in
the path being on annual leave (governmentese for "vacation") is
higher than any other time except the last two weeks in December.

One learns rapidly not to do essential business with any Federal
agency between Independence Day and Labor Day and between
Thanksgiving and New Years' Day. That's Reality Island.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Phil Kane July 6th 03 12:00 AM

On 05 Jul 2003 12:23:34 GMT, N2EY wrote:

You think this is bad, Kim, you shoulda heard the wailing and moaning and
gnashing of teeth back in the '60s when "Incentive Licensing" was proposed
and enacted.

Or the wailing and gnashing of teeth back in 1952 when one couldn't
get an Advanced any more.....I had to wait until 1968 to get mine,
and that was before the "incentive licensing" splitups started.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Phil Kane July 6th 03 12:20 AM

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:37:11 GMT, wrote:

In the case of Mensa, it involves taking an IQ test. (It should be noted
that this tiny requirement doesn't do much: most Mensa members never
attend a single meeting.)

Joining another organization for which I wouldn't have the time or
deep inclination to be active in is the reason why I never joined
Mensa or the Masonic Order, both of which I had been "proselytized"
for although they supposedly have rules prohibiting members from doing
that.

Anyone who says "10-4", and isn't a cop, is a poser[*]. The only
correct response is "Roger Dodger, copy that."

I know a whole bunch of hams who are cops (I do a lot of ARES/RACES
work with them) and everyone seems to be able to keep their jargon
separate.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

lk July 6th 03 03:23 AM

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
.net...
On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 08:38:38 -0400, Bill Sohl wrote:

Here's the question?
Tell us WHY the FCC wouldn't dump the code test now?

Because it's the summertime and the chances of some key person in
the path being on annual leave (governmentese for "vacation") is
higher than any other time except the last two weeks in December.

One learns rapidly not to do essential business with any Federal
agency between Independence Day and Labor Day and between
Thanksgiving and New Years' Day. That's Reality Island.
--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Since the gestation period of a Report & Order is one year,
what different does it make when you start?

As you know, government can move mountains, particular ones
they created, but it takes a long time.

Larry kc8epo

Bill Sohl July 6th 03 04:54 AM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Bill Sohl" wrote in message

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message

[...]

But the FCC does indeed have an incentive...simplification
of the licensing process and minimizing rules to the
fullest extent possible.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Kim W5TIT July 6th 03 05:42 AM

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message

And, one that disappoints you, I'm sure, Bill. Sorry, but it's my

opinion.

Kim W5TIT

But you didn't answer the question.
Should the USA keep Element 1 now that the treaty
has changed?

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

I'm sure you read the post by now, Bill, right?

Kim W5TIT

Kim W5TIT July 6th 03 05:45 AM

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message

Here's the question?
Tell us WHY the FCC wouldn't dump the code test now?

WOW, that is a good question. And, one I don't think I have a good

answer
for. So, maybe the FCC will just drop it. The only thing I can

generally
think of, is that they have no more "incentive" to drop it than to just
leave it as it is.

But the FCC does indeed have an incentive...simplification
of the licensing process and minimizing rules to the
fullest extent possible.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Going back to the "corporate entity" theory; the FCC would spend more
dollars revamping the program than to just stay with it the way it is. And,
dropping the CW element wouldn't do a thing in terms of minimizing any R&R,
would it?

Kim W5TIT

Bill Sohl July 6th 03 12:01 PM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Bill Sohl" wrote in message

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message

Here's the question?
Tell us WHY the FCC wouldn't dump the code test now?

WOW, that is a good question. And, one I don't think I have a good

answer
for. So, maybe the FCC will just drop it. The only thing I can

generally
think of, is that they have no more "incentive" to drop it than to

just
leave it as it is.

But the FCC does indeed have an incentive...simplification
of the licensing process and minimizing rules to the
fullest extent possible.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Going back to the "corporate entity" theory; the FCC would spend more
dollars revamping the program than to just stay with it the way it is.

Yey that ISwhat they are paid to do.

And, dropping the CW element wouldn't do
a thing in terms of minimizing any R&R, would it?

Sure it would. It reduces test requirements and
avoids processing the Element 1 has been passed
data from VECs.

More likly than the above, however, will be the movement
of other countries to a nocode structure (e.g. UK, Netherlands,
and others). It appears...although I don't know the legal
detains for those countries, that they may move to nocode
within weeks or only a few months.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Kim W5TIT

[email protected] July 6th 03 12:15 PM

"Bill Sohl" writes:

But the FCC does indeed have an incentive...simplification of the
licensing process and minimizing rules to the fullest extent
possible.

If the motivation you state was the _only_ motivation, then ARS would
have a pro forma license like 1970s CB radio, or maybe none at all.

They have other incentives, too. One is minimizing bad operators who
will QRM services in ARS or in other bands. Another may or may not be
to discourage participation in ARS and whittle away bandwidth for
lucrative reallocation, or at least to keep it small enough that the
need for new bandwidth is minimized.

Regards,
Len.

[email protected] July 6th 03 12:16 PM

"Bill Sohl" writes:
"Kim W5TIT" wrote:

And, dropping the CW element wouldn't do a thing in terms of
minimizing any R&R, would it?

Sure it would. It reduces test requirements and avoids processing
the Element 1 has been passed data from VECs.

Minimal. As you say, it's just "element 1 has been passed" data. The
VECs shoulder all the hassles, and the testee shoulders the expenses.

Regards,
Len.

Phil Kane July 7th 03 05:05 AM

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 22:23:24 -0400, lk wrote:

Since the gestation period of a Report & Order is one year,
what different does it make when you start?

That's an anecdotal statement. Perhaps that's the average, but
there is nothing that requires any particular minimum or maximum
time.

If there is enough "oomph" behind it, an R&O can be issued in one
day if it's a type that does not require public input. That would
have to be a Memorandum Opinion and Order drafted in a quick hurry,
of course, but if it's issued under delgated authority it just needs
one signature, and even if it's a full Commission MO&O it can be
bicycled through the five offices in less than an hour if everything
is lined up. I've seen them do that with various administrative
matters.

As you know, government can move mountains, particular ones
they created, but it takes a long time.

Except when they want it to be a short time.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Ryan, KC8PMX July 8th 03 06:32 AM

Put me down for July 1st, 2004.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)
"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
So far:

K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY July 9th 03 01:22 AM

So far:

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
Kim: June 1, 2008

If I missed anybody, please add your guess to the list.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY July 9th 03 01:26 PM

In article , "Kim"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
So far:

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
Kim: June 1, 2008

If I missed anybody, please add your guess to the list.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Just...Kim?

I didn't want to risk reviving the "one step closer to extinction" threads,
Kim.....

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY July 9th 03 06:09 PM

Somehow I missed this on the first pass....

"Kim" wrote in message ...
"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Kim" dont

writes:

At least that's the way I see it. I wonder how much shareholders
realize that there is complete insanity inside
the realm of large corporate entities who constantly spend huge dollars
on
organizational/operational changes, often just to change again in less
than a year!

All true. But in the area of code testing, FCC has been constantly moving
in the direction of reduction/elimination for at least 28 years.

Of course that doesn't mean they will act logically now that the end is in
sight.

Are you saying we should keep Element 1, Kim?
--

Oh goodness, what a loaded question,

Wasn't meant to be a loaded question, just a simple inquiry on your
opinion.

and that is very astute of you (you'll
understand that comment much more than many here, I suspect GRIN).

I do - and thanks!

don't want to seem like I'm hedging, and I'm a damned good debater, but let
me preface my "final answer" with the following:

It is extremely disappointing to me to see that this hobby is so populated
by people who are so pleased with themselves and under the apparent
impression that a ham radio license includes the authority to gnash and hate
anyone different from themselves.

I agree there are a few like that, Kim, but in 35+ years I've only
encountered a few of them. Maybe there are more where you are. There
are certainly more here on rrap than I've encountered in the general
ARS population.

I would also say that your description could be applied to many
different induhviduals, on all sides of the various debates.

I believe that CW testing has promulgated such behavior as above.

How? It's just a basic test of a simple skill.

It is a
"governmental approval" for a specific mode, thereby warranting that anyone
who has taken and passed this mode test is, somehow, of a higher regard to
the FCC and, at least, to fellow hams.

If that's true, then the same can be said of the written tests. And
vanity callsigns. Or any other accomplishment by an individual.

Over time, the CW testing has (by many hams) been a filtering device to keep
their ideas of "no gooders" out of the hobby--promoting a "good 'ol boy"
concept.

Maybe where you are. Not around here, or anywhere else I've lived.

Some would describe the code test as an "ante" - an initial
investment, so to speak.

This is attitude is horrendous in a "goodwill" hobby, and displays
of it are terribly disturbing to me. As amateur radio operators we are
ambassadors of the United States. And, to get so petty as to some of the
arguments spoken in this newsgroup, and even more comments I hear on the
air, it makes me totally embarrassed to even bring the hobby of ham radio up
to anyone any more.

I don't hear the sort of argument you describe on the air here in EPA,
Kim. In fact, from what I see and hear, the whole code-test thing
seems to be pretty well confined to rrap and a few other outlets.
Maybe where you are it's different, but among the hams I know, putting
someone or a whole group down because of their license class is simply
Not Acceptable Behavior.

Now, all that given, I respect the tradition of CW.

That's good. But it's more than a tradition - it's a very popular mode
in the ARS today. Second only to SSB on the amateur HF bands. I would
not be surprised if this year it turned out that CW was #1 in total
QSOs during FD.

Contrary to such people
as Dick Carroll and Larry Roll, who go off half-cocked thinking they "know"
who someone is based on their dislike of the mode of CW, most of we who are
new to the hobby are quite respectful of the tradition of ham radio, and
know good talent on CW when we see it--indeed even love to watch someone
doing it.

Many if not most newcomers are as you describe. But a growing number
are not - in fact, there are some who consider it a put-down even to
be called newcomers.

Yes, I want CW to stay as a testing element and I think 5wpm is sufficient.

Excellent! But I'm afraid neither you nor I will get our druthers on
this. (I'd be happy with 13 and 20 wpm code tests, actually. 5 wpm was
an FCC mistake, made more than 50 years ago).

I also think it should be sending OR receiving (not both), and I think that
waivers should only be given upon the agreement of 2 doctors that a certain
handicap is, indeed, the complaint of any particular individual.

I think both sending and receiving should be tested (the two reinforce
each other).

Medical waivers were simply a quick way for FCC to please Papa Bush
and a now-dead King* he wanted to grant a favor. Their implementation
was very poor - any MD or DO could write a waiver, regardless of
specialty or experience. But speech and language pathologists,
occupational therapists, audiologists and other professionals with far
more specialized knowledge and experience in disabilities had no
standing at all. That makes absolutely no sense and shows that the FCC
was simply looking for a quickie solution to a problem.

Again,I'm afraid neither you nor I will get our druthers on this.

Heck,
maybe the Federal Gov't. could even come up with approved doctors--they
approve VEs, right?

Not gonna happen. The VECs approve the VEs, and the FCC oversees the
process.

Last thing FCC wants is more admin work, which is exactly what any
sort of waiver system generates.

Reducing routine admin work is a key FCC goal. That's why all the
emphasis on reduced testing, fewer tests and license classes, online
renewals and modifications, 10 year licenses, etc. It's the whole
reason behind the VEC and QPC systems: Get unpaid volunteers to do the
work and provide the services and facilities formerly performed by
paid govt. personnel. Brilliant, actually.

That's why the smart money approaches FCC with ready-made ideas, at
the right time.

I hear too many stories of hams who have no business
being any class of ham where CW was required--because they DON'T know CW.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Do you know hams who have forgotten the code? So do I. I also know
folks who have forgotten all sorts of things they once had to know to
pass various tests, but they don't get their highschool diplomas
pinched for it.

People such as those mentioned earlier here are reprehensible in their
opinion (in *my* opinion GRIN), and it is their behavior that does more to
harm ham radio than the choices others make NOT to learn CW or who choose
not to use CW once they've passed and exam requirement.

Agreed - and folks like that exist on all sides of the codetest
debate. Do we really want someone who writes things like "those in the
minority should learn to take 'No' for an answer and get on with
life"? (It wasn't a pro-code-test person who wrote that).

I am happy to have
*anyone* in the hobby--even those with not-so-great-operating practices, as
long as they are friendly, promote ham radio as a positive experience, and
encourage others to simply JOIN, not to GET TO EXTRA.

I'm happy to have anyone who follows the rules, pulls their own
weight, exhibits a positive attitude towards others, and seeks to
learn and grow.

What gets forgotten too often is that the license test is just the
beginning.

73 de Jim, N2EY

* "who made you king? I don't recall voting for you!" - "Dennis" in
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

July 10th 03 06:00 AM

N2EY wrote:

: If I missed anybody, please add your guess to the list.

KF6TPT: September 29, 2003

I think the FCC already decided this one, when they lowered the code
test to 5 WPM, it was solely due to the treaty requirement. In effect,
they've already sought, and received, plenty of commentary on the matter.

So once everyone in Washington is back from their vacations, they'll
just axe Element 1, and leave restructuring the written tests to
whomever is in charge after 2004. Michael Powell is rather busy these
days, what with all the brouhaha surrounding ClearChannel and the media
consolidation. If we think that he, or anyone all that high on the food
chain at the FCC gives a rat's patootie about what's going on in
Amateurland, we're fooling ourselves.

As far as I'm concerned, it should have happened years ago. I think the
written tests should be harder, and I think you should re-test when you
renew your license.

Brian July 10th 03 01:17 PM

wrote in message ...
N2EY wrote:

: If I missed anybody, please add your guess to the list.

KF6TPT: September 29, 2003

I think the FCC already decided this one, when they lowered the code
test to 5 WPM, it was solely due to the treaty requirement. In effect,
they've already sought, and received, plenty of commentary on the matter.

So once everyone in Washington is back from their vacations, they'll
just axe Element 1, and leave restructuring the written tests to
whomever is in charge after 2004. Michael Powell is rather busy these
days, what with all the brouhaha surrounding ClearChannel and the media
consolidation.

Its important for informed Americans to get their news from as few,
controllable sources as possible.

If we think that he, or anyone all that high on the food
chain at the FCC gives a rat's patootie about what's going on in
Amateurland, we're fooling ourselves.

Some in Amateurland have always done that. As long as they congregate
in PCTA groups and invoke the PCTA double standard, they can insulate
themselves from reality.

As far as I'm concerned, it should have happened years ago. I think the
written tests should be harder, and I think you should re-test when you
renew your license.

I think the written exam material IS "harder," but the format lends
itself to less than stellar results in retained knowledge.

bb

N2EY July 10th 03 01:29 PM

So far:

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003

N2EY July 10th 03 05:06 PM

wrote in message ...

I think the FCC already decided this one, when they lowered the code
test to 5 WPM, it was solely due to the treaty requirement. In effect,
they've already sought, and received, plenty of commentary on the matter.

That's what the R&O said in 2000, and it was reaffirmed in their
dismissal of the Wormser-Adsit-Dinelli Petition for Reconsideration.

So once everyone in Washington is back from their vacations, they'll
just axe Element 1,

The Senate has to ratify the new treaty first.

and leave restructuring the written tests to
whomever is in charge after 2004.

Possibly. Or they will simply wait for the ARS to come up with a
restructuring proposal.

Michael Powell is rather busy these
days, what with all the brouhaha surrounding ClearChannel and the media
consolidation. If we think that he, or anyone all that high on the food
chain at the FCC gives a rat's patootie about what's going on in
Amateurland, we're fooling ourselves.

I doubt Mr. Powell has much knowledge of what the ARS is, let alone
what the issues are. That's his staff's job.

As far as I'm concerned, it should have happened years ago.

Why? Hams still use code. It's very popular. Learning enough code to
pass the test is about as hard as learning to recognize about 40 words
in a foreign language.

I think the
written tests should be harder,

That's easily arranged. All you have to do is write up some "harder"
questions and answers in multiple-choice format, and submit them to
the QPC.

There were a bunch of structural changes for the written tests
suggested to the FCC back in '99 as part of the restructuring, but
they ignored all of them and instead reduced written testing.

and I think you should re-test when you renew your license.

Nice idea - are you volunteering to be a VE? Because requiring retest
upon renewal would just about triple the tresting workload of the
VECs.

Retesting would be a very tough sell because you would have to
convince FCC that there is some sort of serious problem caused by lack
of it.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KF6TPT July 10th 03 08:03 PM

N2EY wrote things. They're marked like this: N2EY
KF6TPT (me) wrote things in a prior post. They're marked like this: TPT

N2EY The Senate has to ratify the new treaty first.

I keep hearing this getting thrown around, and certainly, my civics
teacher told me this. However, I can't seem to find any mention in the
congressional record of the ratification after WRC-2000.

Can someone point me at it?

TPT Michael Powell is rather busy these
TPT days, what with all the brouhaha surrounding ClearChannel and the media
TPT consolidation. If we think that he, or anyone all that high on the food
TPT chain at the FCC gives a rat's patootie about what's going on in
TPT Amateurland, we're fooling ourselves.

N2EY I doubt Mr. Powell has much knowledge of what the ARS is, let alone
N2EY what the issues are. That's his staff's job.

That's exactly my point. Chairman Powell (and other high-ranking FCC
staff) doesn't need to know or care about the ARS. It makes absolutely
no difference to those in charge of the FCC, whether we have a code
requirement or not.

In this current incarnation of the FCC, I think it's reasonable to say
that if code testing doesn't provide a benefit to the FCC, then the FCC
will be eliminating it as quickly as they reasonably can.

TPT As far as I'm concerned, it should have happened years ago.

N2EY Why? Hams still use code. It's very popular.

I would even just say "Hams use code". But hams use AM, and RTTY, and
PSK, and FSK and yes, even phone. Some of us like satellites. Should
you have to prove that you're capable of tracking and hearing UO-14
before being granted a license to transmit on 145.975 MHz? Or that you
know all 26 phonetics and how to locate your grid square (a useful item
for a VHF+ operator to know)

CW is the only mode that is -required-. Sure, even hams who
never use RTTY had to answer written questions about it... but the
difference is, you don't have to get all written questions correct. A
person can become at least a General, if not an Extra, without ever
answering a question about RTTY... just skip them, and make sure you
know the rest of the material.

The end of code testing does not mean the end of CW, nor should it. But
as far as I'm concerned, CW is just another mode, albeit one with a
certain history and artistry to it. With regards to testing, it should
have about as much importance as the rest of the modes (i.e. a handful
of questions in the pool, and perhaps a reference in the questions on
frequency allocations, nothing more, nothing less)

N2EY Learning enough code to pass the test is about as hard as
N2EY learning to recognize about 40 words in a foreign language.

That's not the point. The fact that just about anyone can learn it
given enough time and practice really just means that all that is really
being tested is a potential ham's level of dedication (and how much free
time he's had in the last few months)

There are plenty of people out there who will say that testing someone's
dedication is a _good_ thing for our hobby. They're the ones that want
to keep the "riff-raff" out. Or at least, that's how it seems.

I just don't see that. The enforcement actions taken by the FCC don't
reflect that either. Many of the people cited for illegal operating
practices have taken 13 and 20wpm code tests.

What I see is a generation of people to whom technology is second nature.
I see hardware engineers and electrical engineers building amazing
commercial applications up in the SHF frequencies. Most of these people
aren't hams. I don't see them knocking down the doors to come join our
ranks, but I don't see us reaching out to them and giving them a reason
to join us, either.

We're doing just the opposite, not entirely with the code test, but with
the attitude that goes with it.

I'd love for some of the current high-tech talent to bring their
knowledge into the Amateur HF arena. We've seen what happens when we
bring them into VHF (I'm thinking about APRS, WSJT/JT44, lots of
software DSP stuff).

But to do that, we need to change. By telling a 22 year old
engineer with a 10-hour a day job and a girlfriend that he needs to
spend "just an hour a day" sitting and listening to code on headphones
for the next month, we are essentially telling him to get lost. He
won't have that kind of free time until he's retired. Plus he's got
other methods of global communication, so the overall gee-whiz factor of
HF is definitely not as much of a draw as it was years ago.

But show the same engineer a PSK31 pileup and his eyes light up.
Perhaps he's thinking of a better way to discriminate between the
colliding warbles and pull yet another call sign out of the morass.
Maybe he's a software engineer. Maybe a DSP guru. Whatever he is, he
could be an asset to the ARS, and play a part in enhancing the radio
art. But he's probably not very interested in CW. Perhaps he will
grow to work CW, perhaps not. But he definitely won't learn it until he
has been exposed to other modes of HF. So, under today's rules, he
moves on to other things... and we'll never know whether his DSP ideas
would work.

There was a time when children were frequently exposed to ham radio, but
those days are past. Not every EE graduate has a dipole in his attic
anymore. The fact is, if the kids and the geeks aren't joining us...
something's wrong, and maybe we should fix it.

I think that it's time for us to grow up, evolve with the times, welcome
newcomers into our ranks, and continue furthering the radio art.

-Jeff

PS.

TPT and I think you should re-test when you renew your license.
N2EY Nice idea - are you volunteering to be a VE?

Yes. I'd be happy to be a VE.