RadioBanter

-   -   The Pool (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26579-pool.html)

Alun January 6th 04 03:09 PM

Mike Coslo wrote in :

Alun wrote:
"Kim W5TIT" wrote in news:bte3p7
:

"N2EY" wrote in message

Here's an update on various estimates of when Morse code testing will
be eliminated in the US. Note that four predicted dates are in the
past.

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
WK3C: December 30, 2004
N8UZE: July 1, 2005
KB3EIA: July 5, 2007 ("minimum 4 years from date of requirement
drop") W5TIT: June 1, 2008

Closest date (before or after) wins. Anyone else?

73 de Jim, N2EY

I see we have 14 on the list and 3 are already out of the running.
What do we get if we win?

Wasn't Jim going to give the winner his K2? 8^)

Maybe a J-38 key?

- Mike KB3EIA -

LOL! A Morse key might be a very ironic prize, depending on who won. I
suppose if I won a key I would have to have my first CW QSO, after 24 years
QRV!

Alun, N3KIP (G8VUK)

Phil Kane January 6th 04 08:01 PM

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:24:01 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

What do we get if we win?

Wasn't Jim going to give the winner his K2? 8^) Maybe a J-38 key?

I already have a gen-u-wine J-38 with the Lionel "L" on it.

I'll settle for the K2... ggg

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

"Where nothing is heard but discouraging words,
and the skies are all cloudy all day...."
(snowing on and off all week)

Robert Casey January 6th 04 08:55 PM

KØHB wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote

You mean they will increase the requirements from 5wpm?

I don't know if FCC will or will not, but I expect ARRL to ask for an
increase.

It seems unlikely that the FCC would increase the requirement for code. The
medical wavier issue would pop up again, and they don't want to be bothered.
Also, what of all those "extra lites" issued since restructuring day?
At this
point, it's a sure bet that the FCC will never increase the code speed.

Robert Casey January 6th 04 09:07 PM

-

LOL! A Morse key might be a very ironic prize, depending on who won. I
suppose if I won a key I would have to have my first CW QSO, after 24 years
QRV!

Alun, N3KIP (G8VUK)

That's about as long ago since I did a CW QSO. :-)

Let's see, several petitions were submitted a few months ago, and the
comment
periods are now closed. So it's probably sitting on some brearucrat's
desk right
now. Or at the bottom of the pile on one or more commissioners' desks,
to be
looked at when there's nothing better to do. And they'll spend a few
minutes
looking at the restructuring R&O, find the part about code kept only because
of the treaty, note that the teaty has changed, delete the code
requirement, and
publish it in the federal register. Then it takes force 4 months later.
So it cannot
take place before May 2004 (date it takes force, "when Morse code
testing will
be eliminated in the US"). Add a few more months for the brearucracy, so
I say "August 1, 2004"

73 de WA2ISE

Mike Coslo January 6th 04 09:11 PM

Phil Kane wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:24:01 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

What do we get if we win?

Wasn't Jim going to give the winner his K2? 8^) Maybe a J-38 key?

I already have a gen-u-wine J-38 with the Lionel "L" on it.

I'll settle for the K2... ggg

Though that Icom 7800 Hans told us about might be a good prize too.

That Jim is a really generous guy, ya'know?

- Mike KB3EIA -

N2EY January 7th 04 02:18 AM

Here's an update on various estimates of when Morse code testing will be
eliminated in the US. Note that four predicted dates are in the past.

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
WA2ISE: August 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
WK3C: December 30, 2004
N8UZE: July 1, 2005
KB3EIA: July 5, 2007 ("minimum 4 years from date of requirement drop")
Kim: June 1, 2008

N2EY January 7th 04 02:18 AM

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

Let's see, several petitions were submitted a few months ago, and the
comment periods are now closed. So it's probably sitting on some
brearucrat's desk right now. Or at the bottom of the pile on one or more
commissioners' desks, looked at when there's nothing better to do.

I doubt very much that the Commissioners read individual comments on
ham radio issues like that. If my guess is right, one or two staffers have
to read all of them and come up with what they think is the best solution
for all concerned.

And they'll spend a few minutes
looking at the restructuring R&O, find the part about code kept only because
of the treaty, note that the t[r]eaty has changed, delete the code
requirement, and
publish it in the federal register.

Maybe. They could also change their minds based on any number of factors.
Or simply use the petitions to formulate an NPRM.

Then it takes force 4 months later.

Unless we go through a whole NPRM cycle.

So it cannot
take place before May 2004 (date it takes force, "when Morse code
testing will
be eliminated in the US"). Add a few more months for the brearucracy, so
I say "August 1, 2004"

I'll put you on the list..

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY January 7th 04 02:18 AM

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

Wasn't Jim going to give the winner his K2? 8^)

No.

Maybe a J-38 key?

Don't have one.

The prize is braggin' rights...

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY January 7th 04 02:18 AM

Phil Kane wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:24:01 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

What do we get if we win?

Wasn't Jim going to give the winner his K2? 8^) Maybe a J-38 key?

I already have a gen-u-wine J-38 with the Lionel "L" on it.

I'll settle for the K2... ggg

Though that Icom 7800 Hans told us about might be a good prize too.

That Jim is a really generous guy, ya'know?

Not that generous.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo January 7th 04 03:39 AM

Phil Kane wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:24:01 -0500, Mike Coslo wrote:

What do we get if we win?

Wasn't Jim going to give the winner his K2? 8^) Maybe a J-38 key?

I already have a gen-u-wine J-38 with the Lionel "L" on it.

I'll settle for the K2... ggg

Though that Icom 7800 Hans told us about might be a good prize too.

That Jim is a really generous guy, ya'know?

Not that generous.

Well, I tried! I don't blame you though.

- Mike KB3EIA -