RadioBanter

-   -   The Pool (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26579-pool.html)

KØHB January 12th 04 08:29 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote

So let me get this straight. Newsgroup rules are cool to be broken?

Far as I know, there are no Newsgroup rules, only habits and widely accepted
conventions. Any one who takes exception to exceptions, is certain to
accumulate an exceptional quantity of exceptions. If you are starting a
collection, I have included three above.

With all kind wishes,
de Hans, K0HB

KØHB January 12th 04 08:30 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote

Just do it till you need glasses, Hans.

I'm already wearing tri-focals.

dit dit, de Hans, K0HB

Leo January 12th 04 09:07 PM

On 12 Jan 2004 09:15:19 -0800, (N2EY) wrote:

Leo wrote in message . ..
Jim,

Personally, I feel that it is indeed unfortunate that you do not see,
or will not admit to, your disrespectful treatment of Kim,

[callsign deleted]

Your opinion noted, Leo. However, after much consideration, I do not
consider my omission of Kim's callsign to be disrespectful. YMMV.

As stated before, it wasn't your omission of Kim's callsign that was
disrespectful, it was the context that it was done in - omitting hers,
but leaving everyone else's intact. Repeatedly.

As you are aware.

Your statements in defense of your conduct are based entirely upon
circular logic, rationalization, contradiction and denial - indicating
that you are not prepared to accept responsibility for your actions
towards a fellow ham here on the group.

Basically what you are saying is that I should accept Kim's callsign
as appropriate for the ARS, and use it here, because:

1) FCC issued it
2) She asked me to
3) *You* don't 'have a problem' with the callsign, and therefore *I*
shouldn't, either.

No - I said that Kim's callsign IS a valid one, accepted by the FCC
for use in the ARS. You can dislike it, revile it, be insulted by it
- whatever you choose to do. But, you must respect the fact that it
is a valid amateur callsign - because it is! Just like yours, issued
officially by the FCC.

Jim, you aren't the guy who gets to determine what is or is not
appropriate for the ARS. That role belongs to the regulatory
authorities. Whatever your problem is with this particular call, it
is between you and the FCC - not us! If they declare that it is
inappropriate, then it will be withdrawn. If not, it stays. Whatever
it is - it's their decision - not yours and mine!

As you are aware.

As I have stated before, no disrespect was intended. But I am not
going to use Kim's callsign in my posts, because I think it is
inappropriate for the IRS.

In your opinion, Jim - not necessarily the opinion of the FCC, or many
members of the ARS. However, no one is trying to say that you must
use Kim's callsign in your posts - the issue is with your intentional
exclusion of only her callsign from your list!

As you are aware.

You can use it in your posts all you want. So can Kim. I won't try to
impose my standards on others, even though they try to impose their
standards on me.

No one is attempting to impose standards upon you, Jim. The message
was (quite clearly) that it is inappropriate and disrespectful to omit
just this one callsign from the pool, while leaving all others intact.
As you well know. And as clearly stated in previous posts.

As you are aware.

[Kim a licensed radio amateur]

told you straight up that she felt disrespected by your actions.

I have felt disrespected by her action in choosing that callsign.
I told her that straight up a long time ago.

Not sure I understand why you would feel personally disrespected by
Kim's choice of callsign, Jim - I don't imagine that she did it to
offend you personally.

You are of course free to express your opinion regarding this issue,
however - but to do so in public isn't always a wise choice. Would
you walk up to someone in a crowded mall and tell her exactly what you
thought about their skitr being too short? Of course not - that would
be impolite. And not too smart, perhaps - she might smack you! :)

Some opinions are best kept to one's self :)

A simple apology to her would have been appropriate.

I apologize if my posts have upset anyone. That was not the intent.
But I will not compromise my standards on this to avoid hurting
someone's feelings.

The right thing to do.

In your opinion. Mine's different.

Compromising standards isn't the issue, Jim. As you are aware.

If you had changed your poll to list everyone by their first name,
would that have compromised your standards? Of course not. It would
have created a Level Playing Field, and caused little fuss at all.

It would have removed the opportunity for you to try and punish Kim
for her poor choice of callsign, though - say, you weren't trying to
do that, were you? Of course not - your standards are too high for
that......aren't they?

Jim, you have been a frequent victim of attack and insult here
yourself - frankly, you should know better.

Where is the insult in not using a word or phrase I think is
inappropriate?

As stated above, and in previous posts - it is a situational thing.
For example, yelling "Hey, Dick!" to a friend sitting over at a bar is
quite appropriate. Yelling "Hey, Dick!" to some biker sitting at the
bar is not. Same phrase - totally different intent. Context is
everything!

As you are aware.

Insulting a fellow amateur publically, then denying and justifying the
act with a litany of self-serving rhetoric.

I don't see it that way at all.

Do you believe that these
actions, your actions, are in the best interest of the Amateur
service?

Yes. You may disagree, but I will not describe that disagreement
as "prejudice", "censorship" or "self-serving rhetoric".

What part of this statement are you having trouble with, Jim?

Definitions (and specific usage within the thread):

Prejudice: "an opinion formed beforehand" (your opinion that the
callsign W5TIT is inappropriate to the ARS)

Censorship: "the supression of something considered objectionable"
(like the intentional omission of just one callsign in a list,
perhaps?)

Rhetoric: skill with language - (ahem)

I suspect that few here join you in that belief.

Doesn't matter.

It certainly should!

Your quote below is quite appropriate. At times, Dr. King
held standards and beliefs that were not popular. His adherence to those
standards and beliefs was considered "insulting" by some. Should he have
listened to them, or followed his conscience?

Dr. King was a champion of equality and equal rights - a mission which
cost him his life. He was dedicated to ensuring that people were
treated equally, regardless of the "personal standards" of those who
felt that they were not entitled to equal treatment.

Do you treat everyone equally, Jim? Even when you have a strong bias
against some characteristic of theirs that you find objectionable? No
matter what?

I'd refrain from drawing parallels to Dr. King until you can state
that unequivocally. Without prejudice.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy."

Rev. Dr.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

And at this 'time of challenge and controversy', I say that Kim's
callsign is inappropriate to the ARS, and I will not repeat it
in my posts. No insult is meant by this action. But it will not
change.

Once again, no one is forcing you to use the dreaded callsign in your
posts. Again, Jim, the issue is singling out one individual because
there is something that you don't like personally! As you well know.

One's principles and beliefs, however righteous and sacrosanct, do not
convey the right to treat others disrespectfully.

To return to the quotation from Dr. King - in this time of challenge
and controversy, someone might choose to admit that they was wrong in
singling out one individual due to personal opinion, and revise his
list to indicate equal respect for the status of all participants.
Someone else might choose to twist the words and concepts around ad
infinitum to justify their actions. Still another would take the moral
high ground, and justify their actions based on rigorous personal
standards and ideals.

Which of these represents the Right Thing To Do? I know.

So do you, Jim.

I don't use the term "friend" to describe Kim, because she reserves
that word for a very select group, and I respect that choice of hers.

But I will say that one of the characteristics of a true friend is
telling the truth as the true friend sees it, even if it is not
what someone wants to hear, and even if a person may get their
feelings hurt or feel insulted by that truth.

An excellent homily, Jim - but with a fatal flaw. True friends would
conduct this level of personal information interchange only in
private, and with compassion, sensitivity and dignity. A true friend
would not choose to do that in a public forum, would they, Jim?

As you well know.

And, as we are all quite well aware.

73 de Jim, N2EY

73, Leo

Len Over 21 January 12th 04 09:13 PM

In article et, "KØHB"
writes:

"Kim W5TIT" wrote

I thought I was seeing Hans with something other
than a gorilla thumping message.

I never thump my gorilla. My dad said I'd go blind if I did.

Quit the monkey business in public...

LHA / WMD

Leo January 12th 04 11:20 PM

On 12 Jan 2004 10:02:37 -0800, (N2EY) wrote:
snip

So let's recap:

With just a few posts, I was able to get you and others in a long,
lengthy
and involved debate that had *nothing* to do with code testing.

I exposed how some folks want *me* to follow *their* standards
rather than my own.

I even got you to admit something good about K3LT.

And through all that I avoided any name-calling or use of
inappropriate words.

Jim,

This is really uncharacteristic of you. I am amazed that a well
educated man like yourself would publically take pride in the above,
given the behaviour that started it off in the first place.
Bully-like behaviour, Jim? I wouldn't have thought it possible.

That's some set of flexible personal standards you have there.

So I quote Maximus in the arena, surrounded by those he has
vanquished, as he says to the crowd:

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??!!!"

No.

73 de Jim "My name is Gladiator" N2EY

Brilliant.

73, Leo

N2EY January 13th 04 12:55 AM

In article et, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

"N2EY" wrote:
"Dwight Stewart" writes:

(snip)

But you have no negative comments
for the person who does it.

Negative comments had already been posted by others. I don't kick people
when they're already laying on the ground from the blows of others.

I don't see anyone in that condition...

Yes, if the callsign is inappropriate to
the ARS.

Do you think all possible callsigns are
appropriate, Dwight?

Beyond the law, I don't think it is my mission in life to decide what is
appropriate for others. If I have a problem with the laws (the callsigns
allowed by the FCC), then my fight is with the lawmakers (the FCC). Whatever
the case, I don't take it upon myself to engage in an ongoing campaign
against those who make choices different then my own. Kim is aware of my
opinion about her callsign (I wouldn't have chosen it myself). Beyond that,
the discussion is over as far as I'm concerned. If I felt this is a real
problem, I'd take up the issue of callsigns with the FCC.

You very neatly avoided the question.

You have had no problem when others
have used insulting names rather than
callsigns to refer to me, (snip)

I've never seen anyone use insulting names to refer to you.

Then you must have killfiled Len Anderson and Brian Burke a long time ago.
Which is probably a very smart thing to do. ;-)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dee D. Flint January 13th 04 01:36 AM

"KØHB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Mike Coslo" wrote

Just do it till you need glasses, Hans.

I'm already wearing tri-focals.

dit dit, de Hans, K0HB

I find the progressive lenses much more comfortable and useful myself.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Brian January 13th 04 02:17 AM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message igy.com...
"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
[snip]
'S 'bout time. Now, to all who have been participating in this debate,
WHICH style of post was it that got more noticed I had added my CALLSIGN

the list? It took you all (and actually it took only Mike because no one
else noticed) almost exactly 3 days to notice that the two posts were made
on the same day. One with (and first) and one without attributes. And, I
honestly ask: who really noticed one (attributes) or the other (no
attributes)? I'd almost bet a buck that even Jim wondered what in the

world
was in that post that was different, whether the attributes were there or
not. By the way, note that the post that was made somewhere around a

couple
of days ago...where I again submitted the list without attributes, note

that
in *that* post, my information appears at the top of the post (the "Kim
Walker said" stuff). Is anyone watching this stuff? Really?!

The entire point had been having my callsign *in the list* as a ham radio
operator. Jim complains that to Google or whatever, it looked like he had
posted something he had not said. A) the only thing he had not said was

my
callsign so who cares? B) What about someone who is casually looking at
those posts and completely disregards my submission because it *looks*

like
I don't have a callsign?

At any rate, I don't think attributes are as paid attention to as everyone
thinks...UNTIL they come up like this...

Kim W5TIT

I pay attention to every single attribute and immediately noticed the
difference in both posts. I elected not to get into the debate and kept my
opinions to myself. However since you seem to think people ignore the
attributes, I decided I must repond to dispel that notion. And as far as
I'm concerned, deliberately making the attribute appear to be something
other than it was happens to be wrong. Making errors in keeping attributes
in long threads happens and is excusable. Choosing to make an attribute
appear something else is not excusable.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

So in the end, knowing the Code at 20 or even 35 WPM really doesn't
guarantee good character.

Thanks for the lesson in ethics, Jim.

73, Brian

Kim W5TIT January 13th 04 10:29 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
"Kim" wrote in message

Just a mention before I take off for the office:

Maybe you don't feel
boxed...but you sure were getting defensive and unexpectedly

insulted--at
least it looked that way to me in this post!

Kim

[inappropriate callsign deleted]

So let's recap:

With just a few posts, I was able to get you and others in a long,
lengthy
and involved debate that had *nothing* to do with code testing.

Ummmmm, that's quite standard for this newsgroup.

I exposed how some folks want *me* to follow *their* standards
rather than my own.

Not at all. I didn't see that. Your angst was for the fact that someone
changed attributes in a post. For that, you are wrong; as I am. It doesn't
matter *why* the posts are getting changed; that part of the debate was mere
distraction. Fact still remains that you bitched at me for something you,
yourself, have been doing.

I even got you to admit something good about K3LT.

There's something good in everything...and I do mean everything. For each
and every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Most people take
that to mean good=good and bad=bad. It can also, and more often, mean
good=bad and bad=good.

And through all that I avoided any name-calling or use of
inappropriate words.

Typical behavior for you. Although, the implication of you being a leg
man--and stating so in such a way as to imply something sexual about it,
also defeats your whole stance of removing inappropriate things from posts
you take part in. But, you can be contradictory--that's OK.

So I quote Maximus in the arena, surrounded by those he has
vanquished, as he says to the crowd:

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??!!!"

73 de Jim "My name is Gladiator" N2EY

As I said, you've been changing my original posts for over a year now (by
deleting my callsign from them--by the way, that was just pointed out to me
by someone else a bit of time ago--I've been "watching" since) so if you
want to get offended, upset, etc., about changing posts then be upset at
yourself first. Whether by changing attributes or deleting things from
original posts--both a) are supposedly against standard conventions of
newsgroups/Usenet and, b) both could be strewn to be disrespectful,
deceitful, inappropriate, incorrect, and causation for a long debate. You
began the behavior before me, I trumped it.

As I said, you may not "feel" boxed. However, you have been just
uncharacteristic enough in several examples that I am quite sure you were,
in some way, caught up in being very defensive over something you did. I
remain with a feeling of debate victory...

However, there is something rather interesting about the thread the last few
days: it's obviously had Hans occupied.

Kim W-5-T-I-T

Dwight Stewart January 13th 04 10:43 AM

"Mike Coslo" wrote:
Dwight Stewart wrote:

I've never seen anyone use insulting
names to refer to you.

Surely you jest Dwight!!

No, I'm not. Contrary to what some may think, I don't follow each of the
discussions here. I trash about half the threads without even a glance. A
good chunk of the remaining threads get trashed after I've read only one or
two messages to see if I'm at all interested. And, finally, of the remaining
threads, I certainly don't read all messages. The only name I've seen
recently relating to Jim is Len's "Rev. Jim," and I'd hardly call that a
great insult.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

N2EY January 13th 04 12:56 PM

In article et, "KØHB"
writes:

Kim --- Jim has every right to not include your callsign in his messages.

I agree.

Jim --- Kim has every right to feel whatever she feels about that, and to
post messages which make her "feel victorous" in return.

I agree again.

In other words, you both have the right to make yourselves look like
laughable self-righteous sanctimonious twits, and you both are certainly
doing a superb job of that.

We're just following your lead, Hans.

All the high-sounding babble about usenet attribution rules is exactly
that..... babble.

Foma! All foma!

Attribute that.

I got yer attributions right here....

With all kind wishes,

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY January 13th 04 12:56 PM

In article et, "KØHB"
writes:

"Mike Coslo" wrote

So let me get this straight. Newsgroup rules are cool to be broken?

Far as I know, there are no Newsgroup rules, only habits and widely accepted
conventions. Any one who takes exception to exceptions, is certain to
accumulate an exceptional quantity of exceptions. If you are starting a
collection, I have included three above.

I take exception to that.

73 de Jim "gorilla my dreams" N2EY

Dave Heil January 13th 04 04:16 PM

Dwight Stewart wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote:

Dwight Stewart wrote:
I think Kim's complaint is valid. Jim
obviously has some issue with her
callsign. Without saying why, he refuses
to use her callsign as he has done with
everyone else on his list. That callsign
was issued by the FCC and, if Jim has
an issue with that, he should take it up
with the FCC. Regardless, until the
FCC says otherwise, that callsign is
legitimate and should be treated as
such by all within the Ham radio
community - just as any ham operator,
including Jim, would expect his or her
own callsign to be treated.

Nice, Dwight. Very touchy-feely and
politically correct.

No, just civil, polite, manners, Dave. My mother wasn't thinking of
political correctness when she taught me to try to respect others, even if
they may not deserve it.

I'm not in disagreement over the use of manners.

Sadly, too many people today consider polite
manners to be an unwelcomed human attribute, now described as political
correctness by those people.

Sadly, some people attempt to forge a tie between the terms "polite" and
"political correctness". There is no link between them. Jim didn't
treat Kim's callsign badly; he didn't use it at all. After all, it
could be easily argued that Kim didn't treat amateur radio with respect
in choosing her call.
A number of us believe that her choice was tacky and tactless.

I'm certain that Jim has an issue with
Kim's call. Quite a number of us have
issues with Kim's call. Even Riley
Hollingsworth has issues with Kim's
call. For you to attempt the equation
of Kim's tacky choice of vanity call
with Jim's non-vanity call is ludicrous.

Regardless, the agency that Hollingsworth works for, and that issued the
other callsigns on Jim's list, does equate the validity of Kim's callsign to
Jim's. Some may wish to dismiss that, but doing so perhaps says a lot about
their own character.

It might say something about their character but it doesn't say anything
negative about it. The FCC looks the other way with regard to language
used in prime time television these days. If I object and state that I
find the use of such language to be offensive, it says nothing negative
at all about my character. The FCC often does and often has abdicated
its responsibilities in a number of areas. That it does so, does not
confirm the correctness of those inactions.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 13th 04 04:30 PM

Kim W5TIT wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:

"N2EY" wrote in message
Here's an update on various estimates of when Morse code testing will be
eliminated in the US. Note that four predicted dates are in the past.

WA2SI: September 13, 2003
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
WA2ISE: August 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
WK3C: December 30, 2004
N8UZE: July 1, 2005
KB3EIA: July 5, 2007 ("minimum 4 years from date of requirement drop")
W5TIT: June 1, 2008

Closest date (before or after) wins. Anyone else?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Kim,

Why do you persist in changing Jim's posts and re-posting with no
indication that you're changing them? That kind of thing could further
reflect on your character.

Dave: First,

[word deleted]

you and what you think "character" is all about. You
are nothing short of a self-serving, high-nosed, snobbish, educated idiot--and
nothing more; and some of those are even questionable.

It would seem that all of those are questionable. Thanks though, for
proving my point.

Second: on
character, like I care.

That has long been evident.

And, if I've made a post I'VE OBVIOUSLY CHANGED IT OR AM JUST PLAIN
REPOSTING IT. What is so hard about that?

It isn't hard at all; it is evident. It is also wrong.
I dropped a word used by you in my comments above. It is clear from
this post that *you* did not drop the word and that I did so.

Jim refuses to put my callsign
associated with my prediction.

Good for him. Live with it.

I will add it whenever I feel (yeah, one of
those "feeling" things you know nothing about) like it.

I wouldn't want you to get tangled up in reality or fact, Kim.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 13th 04 04:41 PM

Kim W5TIT wrote:

Mike, how in the Hell is anyone going to alter a post to make it appear like
someone else's, when the post is listed as "Sent" by whomever it is that
actually sent it? The "art" of making it look like someone else had sent it
would only be evidenced as deviant behavior IF (and I did not) I had also
changed the Header information to look like it had been sent by Jim.

Here's an example for you, Kim, just for purposes of illustration:

I know that I often post before taking the time to think things out and have often been guilty of acting from emotion before or instead of taking the time to gather the facts.

Now the above was written by me but it has been made to look as if you
wrote it.

That Dave Heil is so damned bored with life that he has to concoct things
from thin air is usual and status quo for him.

It wasn't from thin air, Kim. It was from posts made by you. They
exist. They can't now be denied.

Don't be so quick to jump on
a Dave Heil bandwagon...because those wagons don't travel far at all.

I have a bandwagon?

For anyone with computer sense, it is unreasonable to even consider that a
post could be issued under the guise of someone else--contrary to the
opinion that it can be done. And, when I resubmit "The Pool" list with my
callsign attributed to my prediction date, it is certainly weak, at best, to
display anger and make it seem as though I was doing *anything* else but
resubmitting a post an attributing my callsign to my prediction.

That's simply incorrect.

Let's do another example for purposes of illustration:

I have given some thought to my choice of callsigns and feel that I may have made a mistake. My choice reflects badly on amateur radio and on me as an individual.

If not for the fact that I've made clear that this is an illustration
added by me--if I'd simply taken out the white space and my comments,
I'd be adding the material to make it look as if the statements came
from you. Are you starting to get the picture?

However, if you or anyone else, is so desperate to reach for the stars in
some display of dislike for me--then go for it.

No, it has simply been pointed out to you that you have crossed the line
between what's right and what's wrong.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 13th 04 04:43 PM

Kim W5TIT wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

If I were in this situation, I would post a polite note with my
callsign, and not post it as if Jim did the posting. I know until I
looked back up at the from area on the screen, I though it was from Jim.

I dobt any of us wants our posts altered. We could eventually get like
the crazies thaat post here from tim to time.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Oh, yeah, Mike. And God forbid that you think that Jim posted my prediction
with MY callsign next to it, rather than my name!!! Oh, that would be just
awful...

Jim is under no obligation to use your callsign.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 13th 04 04:48 PM

Kim wrote:

Ahem...at least he hasn't said he's going to "pray for you" yet. I love it
when someone says that to me with that certain "tone of voice" LOL

I'll bet you get that a lot. However, why should I do all of the work
for you?
Are you too busy to pray for yourself?

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 13th 04 05:10 PM

Dwight Stewart wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

Regardless of the reasoning, do you
concur with altering peoples posts
to reflect your own wishes?

Of course not. But do you concur with attempts to alter the perception of
a person's status as a Ham by blatantly omitting that person's callsign in a
list containing only the callsigns of others?

Alter the preception? Blatently omitting? How silly!

Jim is aware of what he's doing.

I'm sure he is. Who can tell him that he must use a callsign that he
finds offensive?

Kim had already asked him to include her callsign (a request which
should have been unnecessary).

Kim could ask me to forget some things she's written in the past, but
that doesn't mean that I should, I must or that I will. Kim could ask
me to loan her money but that doesn't mean that I should, I must or that
I will.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 13th 04 05:28 PM

Kim W5TIT wrote:

Jim is disrespectful to me to make it look like I am not an amateur when he
chooses not to associate me as an amateur when I've made a conscious
decision to participate in something he's providing for fun.

Oh, for crying out loud, Kim.

deliberately, with no malice, and consciously deleted the attributes of the
original message simply to include my callsign in the list.

No, that isn't what you did.

I don't give a hoot if you, the Usenet police, Jim, or any other person has
a problem with that.

That has been evident for a very long time.

Dave K8MN

N2EY January 13th 04 05:54 PM

Leo wrote in message . ..
Jim,

Personally, I feel that it is indeed unfortunate that you do not see,
or will not admit to, your disrespectful treatment of Kim,

[callsign deleted]

Your opinion noted, Leo. However, after much consideration, I do not
consider my omission of Kim's callsign to be disrespectful. YMMV.

As stated before, it wasn't your omission of Kim's callsign that was
disrespectful, it was the context that it was done in - omitting hers,
but leaving everyone else's intact. Repeatedly.

As you are aware.

I am aware that you preceive it that way. Are you aware that no disrespect
was intended?

Your statements in defense of your conduct are based entirely upon
circular logic, rationalization, contradiction and denial - indicating
that you are not prepared to accept responsibility for your actions
towards a fellow ham here on the group.

Basically what you are saying is that I should accept Kim's callsign
as appropriate for the ARS, and use it here, because:

1) FCC issued it
2) She asked me to
3) *You* don't 'have a problem' with the callsign, and therefore *I*
shouldn't, either.

No - I said that Kim's callsign IS a valid one, accepted by the FCC
for use in the ARS.

It's a *legal* one. No one disputes that.

You can dislike it, revile it, be insulted by it
- whatever you choose to do. But, you must respect the fact that it
is a valid amateur callsign - because it is! Just like yours, issued
officially by the FCC.

I did not ask for this specific callsign. Kim asked for hers.

Jim, you aren't the guy who gets to determine what is or is not
appropriate for the ARS.

Not true!

We *all* have a say in what is and is not appropriate for the ARS. And that
includes me.

That role belongs to the regulatory authorities.

And to all of us hams.

Whatever your problem is with this particular call, it
is between you and the FCC - not us! If they declare that it is
inappropriate, then it will be withdrawn. If not, it stays. Whatever
it is - it's their decision - not yours and mine!

That's only true as far as the issuance of a callsign. Not its use.

As you are aware.

As I have stated before, no disrespect was intended. But I am not
going to use Kim's callsign in my posts, because I think it is
inappropriate for the IRS.

In your opinion, Jim - not necessarily the opinion of the FCC, or many
members of the ARS.

I'm not telling them not to use Kim's callsign.

You are telling me I *must* use it.

Not gonna happen.

However, no one is trying to say that you must
use Kim's callsign in your posts - the issue is with your intentional
exclusion of only her callsign from your list!

Which is the same as saying I *must* use it!

As you are aware.

You can use it in your posts all you want. So can Kim. I won't try to
impose my standards on others, even though they try to impose their
standards on me.

No one is attempting to impose standards upon you, Jim.

Yes, they are.

The message
was (quite clearly) that it is inappropriate and disrespectful to omit
just this one callsign from the pool, while leaving all others intact.
As you well know. And as clearly stated in previous posts.

As you are aware.

"inappropriate and disrespectful" by whose standards?

Answer: YOURS!

[Kim a licensed radio amateur]

told you straight up that she felt disrespected by your actions.

I have felt disrespected by her action in choosing that callsign.
I told her that straight up a long time ago.

Not sure I understand why you would feel personally disrespected by
Kim's choice of callsign, Jim - I don't imagine that she did it to
offend you personally.

She didn't. But that was my perception. And to paraphrase Kim: 'that's the
perception that counts'

You are of course free to express your opinion regarding this issue,
however - but to do so in public isn't always a wise choice. Would
you walk up to someone in a crowded mall and tell her exactly what you
thought about their skitr being too short?

Depends on who it was.

Of course not - that would
be impolite. And not too smart, perhaps - she might smack you! :)

What if it was my teenage daughter? (Not saying I do or do not have one).

Some opinions are best kept to one's self :)

And some are best expressed rather than repressed.

A simple apology to her would have been appropriate.

I apologize if my posts have upset anyone. That was not the intent.
But I will not compromise my standards on this to avoid hurting
someone's feelings.

The right thing to do.

In your opinion. Mine's different.

Compromising standards isn't the issue, Jim. As you are aware.

No, it's *exactly* the issue. To use Kim's call here would compromise my
standards.

If you had changed your poll to list everyone by their first name,
would that have compromised your standards? Of course not. It would
have created a Level Playing Field, and caused little fuss at all.

It would have caused confusion because there are several people with
the same first name here.

It would have removed the opportunity for you to try and punish Kim
for her poor choice of callsign, though - say, you weren't trying to
do that, were you?

Nope.

Of course not - your standards are too high for
that......aren't they?

Yep.

Jim, you have been a frequent victim of attack and insult here
yourself - frankly, you should know better.

Where is the insult in not using a word or phrase I think is
inappropriate?

As stated above, and in previous posts - it is a situational thing.
For example, yelling "Hey, Dick!" to a friend sitting over at a bar is
quite appropriate. Yelling "Hey, Dick!" to some biker sitting at the
bar is not.

What if that's the biker's name?

Same phrase - totally different intent. Context is
everything!

As you are aware.

Yet yelling both phrases is *legal* - although not always
advisable or appropriate.

And in the context of amateur radio callsigns, I think Kim's choice
of callsign is inadvisable and inappropriate.

Your own logic proves it.

Insulting a fellow amateur publically, then denying and justifying the
act with a litany of self-serving rhetoric.

I don't see it that way at all.

Do you believe that these
actions, your actions, are in the best interest of the Amateur
service?

Yes. You may disagree, but I will not describe that disagreement
as "prejudice", "censorship" or "self-serving rhetoric".

What part of this statement are you having trouble with, Jim?

The words ""prejudice", "censorship" and "self-serving rhetoric", for a start.
They are inaccurate

Definitions (and specific usage within the thread):

Prejudice: "an opinion formed beforehand" (your opinion that the
callsign

[inappropriate callsign deleted]

is inappropriate to the ARS)

It wasn't formed beforehand. It was formed only after I encountered the
callsign and its owner here, and considered all the issues.

Therefore, it's not prejudice.

Censorship: "the supression of something considered objectionable"
(like the intentional omission of just one callsign in a list,
perhaps?)

I use the word "inappropriate", not "objectionable". And I did not
"suppress" it - I just won't put it in a post of mine.

Therefore, it's not censorship.

Rhetoric: skill with language - (ahem)

The phrase was "self-serving rhetoric", not just the word "rhetoric".

AHEM.

I suspect that few here join you in that belief.

Doesn't matter.

It certainly should!

So you're saying the majority opinion should rule? What if
the majority says it's inappropriate?

Your quote below is quite appropriate. At times, Dr. King
held standards and beliefs that were not popular. His adherence to those
standards and beliefs was considered "insulting" by some. Should he have
listened to them, or followed his conscience?

Dr. King was a champion of equality and equal rights - a mission which
cost him his life. He was dedicated to ensuring that people were
treated equally, regardless of the "personal standards" of those who
felt that they were not entitled to equal treatment.

Equal rights under law. Equal opportunities. Not equal results. Not
an abandonment of standards.

Do you treat everyone equally, Jim?

I treat them appropriately. What is appropriate for an adult is not
appropriate for a child. To treat them equally could be very unsafe.

Even when you have a strong bias
against some characteristic of theirs that you find objectionable? No
matter what?

The only bias I have is in my Southgate Type 7.

I'd refrain from drawing parallels to Dr. King until you can state
that unequivocally. Without prejudice.

I state without prejudice that I don't have the bias you accuse me of.
I have standards that I adhere to.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of
comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and
controversy."

Rev. Dr.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

And at this 'time of challenge and controversy', I say that Kim's
callsign is inappropriate to the ARS, and I will not repeat it
in my posts. No insult is meant by this action. But it will not
change.

Once again, no one is forcing you to use the dreaded callsign in your
posts. Again, Jim, the issue is singling out one individual because
there is something that you don't like personally! As you well know.

One's principles and beliefs, however righteous and sacrosanct, do not
convey the right to treat others disrespectfully.

Some people said that when people organized marches and protests against
things that violated *their standards*, they were acting disrespectfully.

To return to the quotation from Dr. King - in this time of challenge
and controversy, someone might choose to admit that they was wrong in
singling out one individual due to personal opinion, and revise his
list to indicate equal respect for the status of all participants.
Someone else might choose to twist the words and concepts around ad
infinitum to justify their actions. Still another would take the moral
high ground, and justify their actions based on rigorous personal
standards and ideals.

Which of these represents the Right Thing To Do? I know.

And by saying you know, you are doing exactly what you describe.

So do you, Jim.

I don't use the term "friend" to describe Kim, because she reserves
that word for a very select group, and I respect that choice of hers.

But I will say that one of the characteristics of a true friend is
telling the truth as the true friend sees it, even if it is not
what someone wants to hear, and even if a person may get their
feelings hurt or feel insulted by that truth.

An excellent homily, Jim - but with a fatal flaw. True friends would
conduct this level of personal information interchange only in
private, and with compassion, sensitivity and dignity. A true friend
would not choose to do that in a public forum, would they, Jim?

Some would. I did. So did Kim, and so have you. And while I respect
Kim's use of the word "friend", I would say that the honesty and openness
here - even in disagreement - are the actions of "true friends".

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY January 13th 04 06:00 PM

Leo wrote in message . ..
On 12 Jan 2004 10:02:37 -0800, (N2EY) wrote:
snip

So let's recap:

With just a few posts, I was able to get you and others in a long,
lengthy
and involved debate that had *nothing* to do with code testing.

I exposed how some folks want *me* to follow *their* standards
rather than my own.

I even got you to admit something good about K3LT.

And through all that I avoided any name-calling or use of
inappropriate words.

Jim,

This is really uncharacteristic of you.

That's actually a characteristic of me. Be predictably unpredictable.

I am amazed that a well
educated man like yourself would publically take pride in the above,
given the behaviour that started it off in the first place.

You mean Kim's changing of attributions to make it look like I wrote
something I didn't? Water under the bridge.

Bully-like behaviour, Jim?

Not by me. Who have I tried to bully into doing or not doing anything?
Bullying is the use of force - or the threat of force. No force or
threats at all in my actions or postings.

I wouldn't have thought it possible.

It isn't.

That's some set of flexible personal standards you have there.

Not at all. Was Ghandi a "bully" because he wouldn't do certain things
others said he "must" do or "should" do?

So I quote Maximus in the arena, surrounded by those he has
vanquished, as he says to the crowd:

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??!!!"

No.

dang. I thought you of all people would be.

73 de Jim "My name is Gladiator" N2EY

Brilliant.

Thank you.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dave Heil January 13th 04 06:05 PM

Len Over 21 wrote:

...it might have been a Preview of Coming Attractions advertising
a new Sermon on the Antenna Mount by Rev. Jim. :-)

Hans is right. A bunch of sanctimonious Church Ladies trying to
manufacture disputes with their production lines all broken down.

What have your comments to do with elimination of morse testing in the
Amateur Radio Service (your only aim here)?

Dave K8MN

Leo January 13th 04 09:56 PM

On 13 Jan 2004 09:54:02 -0800, (N2EY) wrote:

Leo wrote in message . ..
On 12 Jan 2004 09:15:19 -0800,
(N2EY) wrote:

Leo wrote in message . ..
[...]

Thank you!

You can dislike it, revile it, be insulted by it
- whatever you choose to do. But, you must respect the fact that it
is a valid amateur callsign - because it is! Just like yours, issued
officially by the FCC.

I did not ask for this specific callsign. Kim asked for hers.

Jim, you aren't the guy who gets to determine what is or is not
appropriate for the ARS.

Not true!

We *all* have a say in what is and is not appropriate for the ARS. And that
includes me.

That wasn't the point - I said specifically that you are not the one
who gets to make that decision.

That role belongs to the regulatory authorities.

And to all of us hams.

No - we can recommend and advise, but the regulatory authorities make
the decision. Not us.

Whatever your problem is with this particular call, it
is between you and the FCC - not us! If they declare that it is
inappropriate, then it will be withdrawn. If not, it stays. Whatever
it is - it's their decision - not yours and mine!

That's only true as far as the issuance of a callsign. Not its use.

Absolutely. But not the point.

The issue is between you and the FCC. They issued it - they can
recall it if it's "inappropriate".

As you are aware.

As I have stated before, no disrespect was intended. But I am not
going to use Kim's callsign in my posts, because I think it is
inappropriate for the IRS.

In your opinion, Jim - not necessarily the opinion of the FCC, or many
members of the ARS.

I'm not telling them not to use Kim's callsign.

You are telling me I *must* use it.

Incorrect. Not at all.

That isn't the issue. I said omitting just one callsign from your
post was wrong. No one denies your right to not use it - but you
could have omitted all of them, to level the field. What standards
woul that have compromised, Jim?.

Not gonna happen.

However, no one is trying to say that you must
use Kim's callsign in your posts - the issue is with your intentional
exclusion of only her callsign from your list!

Which is the same as saying I *must* use it!

Nope - just omitting call one out of a group was wrong. Disrespectful,
in fact - or at least perceived that way. You could have left all of
the calls out - then it wouldn't be a problem, would it?

As you are aware.

You can use it in your posts all you want. So can Kim. I won't try to
impose my standards on others, even though they try to impose their
standards on me.

No one is attempting to impose standards upon you, Jim.

Yes, they are.

Nope - not at all.

The message
was (quite clearly) that it is inappropriate and disrespectful to omit
just this one callsign from the pool, while leaving all others intact.
As you well know. And as clearly stated in previous posts.

As you are aware.

"inappropriate and disrespectful" by whose standards?

Answer: YOURS!

Not just mine - as you are aware.

[Kim a licensed radio amateur]

told you straight up that she felt disrespected by your actions.

I have felt disrespected by her action in choosing that callsign.
I told her that straight up a long time ago.

Not sure I understand why you would feel personally disrespected by
Kim's choice of callsign, Jim - I don't imagine that she did it to
offend you personally.

She didn't. But that was my perception. And to paraphrase Kim: 'that's the
perception that counts'

You are of course free to express your opinion regarding this issue,
however - but to do so in public isn't always a wise choice. Would
you walk up to someone in a crowded mall and tell her exactly what you
thought about their skitr being too short?

Depends on who it was.

Sidestepping the issue.

But, no matter who she was, would you say it in front of a crowd of
people? Or discreetly?

Of course not - that would
be impolite. And not too smart, perhaps - she might smack you! :)

What if it was my teenage daughter? (Not saying I do or do not have one).

Different scenario entirely. Parental control gives you the right to
do so.

But, would you say it in front of a crowd of people? Or discreetly?

Some opinions are best kept to one's self :)

And some are best expressed rather than repressed.

Not in a public forum, Jim.

A simple apology to her would have been appropriate.

I apologize if my posts have upset anyone. That was not the intent.
But I will not compromise my standards on this to avoid hurting
someone's feelings.

The right thing to do.

In your opinion. Mine's different.

Compromising standards isn't the issue, Jim. As you are aware.

No, it's *exactly* the issue. To use Kim's call here would compromise my
standards.

Nope - it is not the issue. The point was not that you refused to use
it - simply that you singled her out in a list of other calls.
Intentionally and repeatedly.

If you had changed your poll to list everyone by their first name,
would that have compromised your standards? Of course not. It would
have created a Level Playing Field, and caused little fuss at all.

It would have caused confusion because there are several people with
the same first name here.

It would have removed the opportunity for you to try and punish Kim
for her poor choice of callsign, though - say, you weren't trying to
do that, were you?

Nope.

Really? Didn't look that way. Say, didn't you agree with Kim that
"perception is everything"?

Of course not - your standards are too high for
that......aren't they?

Yep.

Of course! :)

Jim, you have been a frequent victim of attack and insult here
yourself - frankly, you should know better.

Where is the insult in not using a word or phrase I think is
inappropriate?

As stated above, and in previous posts - it is a situational thing.
For example, yelling "Hey, Dick!" to a friend sitting over at a bar is
quite appropriate. Yelling "Hey, Dick!" to some biker sitting at the
bar is not.

What if that's the biker's name?

Sidestepping the issue. And potentially suicidal :)

[...]

I see. So it's not just the callsign that you find inappropriate, but
the owner and other issues?

Please elaborate!

Censorship: "the supression of something considered objectionable"
(like the intentional omission of just one callsign in a list,
perhaps?)

I use the word "inappropriate", not "objectionable". And I did not
"suppress" it - I just won't put it in a post of mine.

Do you not also find it objectionable? Or are you playing semantics
again? :)

Therefore, it's not censorship.

Disagree - see above!

Rhetoric: skill with language - (ahem)

The phrase was "self-serving rhetoric", not just the word "rhetoric".

AHEM.

You mean it isn't? :) Seems to be!

I suspect that few here join you in that belief.

Doesn't matter.

It certainly should!

So you're saying the majority opinion should rule? What if
the majority says it's inappropriate?

Do they?

Your quote below is quite appropriate. At times, Dr. King
held standards and beliefs that were not popular. His adherence to those
standards and beliefs was considered "insulting" by some. Should he have
listened to them, or followed his conscience?

Dr. King was a champion of equality and equal rights - a mission which
cost him his life. He was dedicated to ensuring that people were
treated equally, regardless of the "personal standards" of those who
felt that they were not entitled to equal treatment.

Equal rights under law. Equal opportunities. Not equal results. Not
an abandonment of standards.

Actually, the upholding of standards...but this isn't about standards,
Jim. It's about singling someone out intentionally. And
disrespectfully.

Do you treat everyone equally, Jim?

I treat them appropriately. What is appropriate for an adult is not
appropriate for a child. To treat them equally could be very unsafe.

Avoiding the question.

Even when you have a strong bias
against some characteristic of theirs that you find objectionable? No
matter what?

The only bias I have is in my Southgate Type 7.

I'd refrain from drawing parallels to Dr. King until you can state
that unequivocally. Without prejudice.

I state without prejudice that I don't have the bias you accuse me of.
I have standards that I adhere to.

Your actions speak differently.

[...]

True enough. Not directly related to this one single solitary isssue
that we're discussing here, though, is it? Nope.

To return to the quotation from Dr. King - in this time of challenge
and controversy, someone might choose to admit that they was wrong in
singling out one individual due to personal opinion, and revise his
list to indicate equal respect for the status of all participants.
Someone else might choose to twist the words and concepts around ad
infinitum to justify their actions. Still another would take the moral
high ground, and justify their actions based on rigorous personal
standards and ideals.

Which of these represents the Right Thing To Do? I know.

And by saying you know, you are doing exactly what you describe.

A puzzling response, Jim - I'm an Option 1 kind of guy myself.

How about you? A bit 2, a little 3 maybe....

[...]

One last sidestep for the road, Jim? Honesty and openness isn't what
your actions were about, now were they? :)

Be honest. And do try to stick to the facts!

73 de Jim, N2EY

73, Leo

Leo January 14th 04 12:04 AM

On 13 Jan 2004 10:00:24 -0800, (N2EY) wrote:

Leo wrote in message . ..
On 12 Jan 2004 10:02:37 -0800,
(N2EY) wrote:
snip

So let's recap:

With just a few posts, I was able to get you and others in a long,
lengthy
and involved debate that had *nothing* to do with code testing.

I exposed how some folks want *me* to follow *their* standards
rather than my own.

I even got you to admit something good about K3LT.

And through all that I avoided any name-calling or use of
inappropriate words.

Jim,

This is really uncharacteristic of you.

That's actually a characteristic of me. Be predictably unpredictable.

Nope - not that one :)

I am amazed that a well
educated man like yourself would publically take pride in the above,
given the behaviour that started it off in the first place.

You mean Kim's changing of attributions to make it look like I wrote
something I didn't? Water under the bridge.

Nope. Kim's putting her callsign back in to your posts (agreed, in
violation of Usenet convention) was in reaction to your intentional
changing of it to her name in your list. Against her wishes.

You remember that, don't you, Jim?

Bully-like behaviour, Jim?

Not by me. Who have I tried to bully into doing or not doing anything?
Bullying is the use of force - or the threat of force. No force or
threats at all in my actions or postings.

Wrong. Bullying also means "to treat someone in an overbearing or
intimidating manner". Overbearing? Yup.

I wouldn't have thought it possible.

It isn't.

(ahem)

That's some set of flexible personal standards you have there.

Not at all. Was Ghandi a "bully" because he wouldn't do certain things
others said he "must" do or "should" do?

Ghandi? Ghandi didn't go out of his way to intentionally annoy folks,
now did he?

So I quote Maximus in the arena, surrounded by those he has
vanquished, as he says to the crowd:

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??!!!"

No.

dang. I thought you of all people would be.

Nope. Just wondering where the high behavioural standards of which you
frequently speak have gotten to. That's all.

You have read the Amateur's Code, haven't you? Courteous? Friendly?

You know.

But hey, you beat Kim, right! That's all that matters.....

73 de Jim "My name is Gladiator" N2EY

Brilliant.

Thank you.

Not really :)

73 de Jim, N2EY

73, Leo

Kim W5TIT January 14th 04 03:17 AM

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:

[...]

Live with it, Dave, live with it...

Kim W5TIT

Kim W5TIT January 14th 04 03:18 AM

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Kim wrote:

Ahem...at least he hasn't said he's going to "pray for you" yet. I love

it
when someone says that to me with that certain "tone of voice" LOL

I'll bet you get that a lot. However, why should I do all of the work
for you?
Are you too busy to pray for yourself?

Dave K8MN

Did it ever occur to you that not everyone prays?

Kim W5TIT

N2EY January 14th 04 04:48 AM

In article , Leo
writes:

On 13 Jan 2004 10:00:24 -0800, (N2EY) wrote:

Leo wrote in message

On 12 Jan 2004 10:02:37 -0800,
(N2EY) wrote:
snip

So let's recap:

With just a few posts, I was able to get you and others in a long,
lengthy and involved debate that had *nothing* to do with code testing.

I exposed how some folks want *me* to follow *their* standards
rather than my own.

I even got you to admit something good about K3LT.

And through all that I avoided any name-calling or use of
inappropriate words.

Jim,

This is really uncharacteristic of you.

That's actually a characteristic of me. Be predictably unpredictable.

Nope - not that one :)

That's the one I was referring to.

Or did you mean the avoidance of name-calling and use of inappropriate words?

I am amazed that a well
educated man like yourself would publically take pride in the above,
given the behaviour that started it off in the first place.

You mean Kim's changing of attributions to make it look like I wrote
something I didn't? Water under the bridge.

Nope. Kim's putting her callsign back in to your posts (agreed, in
violation of Usenet convention) was in reaction to your intentional
changing of it to her name in your list. Against her wishes.

So her wishes are more important than my standards?

You remember that, don't you, Jim?

Bully-like behaviour, Jim?

Not by me. Who have I tried to bully into doing or not doing anything?
Bullying is the use of force - or the threat of force. No force or
threats at all in my actions or postings.

Wrong. Bullying also means "to treat someone in an overbearing or
intimidating manner". Overbearing? Yup.

Nope. Not from where I sit.

I wouldn't have thought it possible.

It isn't.

(ahem)

That's some set of flexible personal standards you have there.

Not at all. Was Ghandi a "bully" because he wouldn't do certain things
others said he "must" do or "should" do?

Ghandi? Ghandi didn't go out of his way to intentionally annoy folks,
now did he?

Some would say that's mostly what he did. He was very very "annoying", saying
that India should be independent, that Hindus and Moslems could live together,
making salt when it was against the law....

Very annoying fellow at times.

So I quote Maximus in the arena, surrounded by those he has
vanquished, as he says to the crowd:

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??!!!"

No.

dang. I thought you of all people would be.

Nope. Just wondering where the high behavioural standards of which you
frequently speak have gotten to. That's all.

You have read the Amateur's Code, haven't you? Courteous? Friendly?

Where have I been uncourteous or unfriendly?

Those words do not mean I must hide my standards under a bushel.

You know.

But hey, you beat Kim, right!

Not according to Kim.

Kim thinks she "beat" me. I disagree.

So we have a situation where neither Kim nor I feels like the loser.

That's perhaps the biggest achievement of the thread.

That's all that matters.....

Not at all. What matters is that I cannot be bullied into using a
callsign I think is inappropriate.

73 de Jim "My name is Gladiator" N2EY

Brilliant.

Thank you.

Not really :)

Ever see the film "Demolition Man"? Think of Edgar Friendly.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dwight Stewart January 14th 04 10:05 AM

"Dave Heil" wrote:

Sadly, some people attempt to forge
a tie between the terms "polite" and
"political correctness". There is no
link between them. Jim didn't treat
Kim's callsign badly; he didn't use it
at all. After all, it could be easily
argued that Kim didn't treat amateur
radio with respect in choosing her
call. A number of us believe that her
choice was tacky and tactless. (snip)

So, because Kim did something, it gave Jim the right to do something?
Isn't that a two wrongs don't make a right situation, Dave?

Regardless, lets get to the basics of this issue. What is wrong with the
word "tit?" My dictionary defines it as a noun meaning "either of two soft
fleshy milk-secreting glandular organs on the chest of a woman." Seem rather
innocuous to me. I assume Kim, like most women, has those "soft fleshy
milk-secreting glandular organs." So why would so many be offended by her
very mention of that fact? It's not like she's refering to the sexual organs
or something.

It might say something about their
character but it doesn't say anything
negative about it. The FCC looks
the other way with regard to language
used in prime time television these
days. (snip)

So you're comparing a woman's breasts to the filthy or offensive language
on television? Isn't that somewhat prudish, Dave?

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Leo January 14th 04 01:35 PM

On 14 Jan 2004 04:48:29 GMT, (N2EY) wrote:

In article , Leo
writes:

On 13 Jan 2004 10:00:24 -0800,
(N2EY) wrote:

Leo wrote in message

On 12 Jan 2004 10:02:37 -0800,
(N2EY) wrote:
snip

So let's recap:

With just a few posts, I was able to get you and others in a long,
lengthy and involved debate that had *nothing* to do with code testing.

I exposed how some folks want *me* to follow *their* standards
rather than my own.

I even got you to admit something good about K3LT.

And through all that I avoided any name-calling or use of
inappropriate words.

Jim,

This is really uncharacteristic of you.

That's actually a characteristic of me. Be predictably unpredictable.

Nope - not that one :)

That's the one I was referring to.

Or did you mean the avoidance of name-calling and use of inappropriate words?

Nope - the characteristic of always portraying gentlemanly conduct,
which is clearly missing here. As you are aware.

I am amazed that a well
educated man like yourself would publically take pride in the above,
given the behaviour that started it off in the first place.

You mean Kim's changing of attributions to make it look like I wrote
something I didn't? Water under the bridge.

Nope. Kim's putting her callsign back in to your posts (agreed, in
violation of Usenet convention) was in reaction to your intentional
changing of it to her name in your list. Against her wishes.

So her wishes are more important than my standards?

Nice diversion, Jim - you know that your standards are not the issue.

You remember that, don't you, Jim?

Bully-like behaviour, Jim?

Not by me. Who have I tried to bully into doing or not doing anything?
Bullying is the use of force - or the threat of force. No force or
threats at all in my actions or postings.

Wrong. Bullying also means "to treat someone in an overbearing or
intimidating manner". Overbearing? Yup.

Nope. Not from where I sit.

Sorry to hear that, Jim.

I wouldn't have thought it possible.

It isn't.

(ahem)

That's some set of flexible personal standards you have there.

Not at all. Was Ghandi a "bully" because he wouldn't do certain things
others said he "must" do or "should" do?

Ghandi? Ghandi didn't go out of his way to intentionally annoy folks,
now did he?

Some would say that's mostly what he did. He was very very "annoying", saying
that India should be independent, that Hindus and Moslems could live together,
making salt when it was against the law....

Very annoying fellow at times.

....but totally unrelated to the issue. As you are aware.

So I quote Maximus in the arena, surrounded by those he has
vanquished, as he says to the crowd:

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??!!!"

No.

dang. I thought you of all people would be.

Nope. Just wondering where the high behavioural standards of which you
frequently speak have gotten to. That's all.

You have read the Amateur's Code, haven't you? Courteous? Friendly?

Where have I been uncourteous or unfriendly?

Really, Jim. An inane question, indeed.

Those words do not mean I must hide my standards under a bushel.

Not the issue. As you are aware.

You know.

But hey, you beat Kim, right!

Not according to Kim.

According to you - read your own post!

Kim thinks she "beat" me. I disagree.

So we have a situation where neither Kim nor I feels like the loser.

That's perhaps the biggest achievement of the thread.

Not true at all, Jim.

Let me quote your own words from your reply to to Kim in the full
version of this post:

"....Too bad you failed, Kim. But I hope you had fun."

An interesting way to declare a draw, Jim.

That's all that matters.....

Not at all. What matters is that I cannot be bullied into using a
callsign I think is inappropriate.

Sidestepping the issue.

73 de Jim "My name is Gladiator" N2EY

Brilliant.

Thank you.

Not really :)

Ever see the film "Demolition Man"? Think of Edgar Friendly.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Jim, your debating style seems to be based almost entirely upon
diversion, circular logic, word games, smokescreening and sidestepping
of the main issue under discussion. I expected better from the man who
often speaks of principles and high standards of conduct in his posts.

The issue, as you are quite well aware, is your singling out of Kim in
a list. And not creating a level playing field out of courtesy to
her. Period. An issue which has been carefully avoided in all of your

Are you unable or unwilling to face up to this single issue? - or
shall we all continue merrily down the garden path with you? You are
fooling no one but yourself, Jim.

"It has always been a peculiarity of the human race that it keeps two
sets of morals in stock-the private and the real, and the public and
the artificial." - Mark Twain

73, Leo

Dave Heil January 14th 04 09:33 PM

Dwight Stewart wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote:

Sadly, some people attempt to forge
a tie between the terms "polite" and
"political correctness". There is no
link between them. Jim didn't treat
Kim's callsign badly; he didn't use it
at all. After all, it could be easily
argued that Kim didn't treat amateur
radio with respect in choosing her
call. A number of us believe that her
choice was tacky and tactless. (snip)

So, because Kim did something, it gave Jim the right to do something?
Isn't that a two wrongs don't make a right situation, Dave?

Jim has every "right" not to use Kim's callsign whether she does
something or not. Kim has no power to force him to use her callsign or
make him give approval to her choice.

Regardless, lets get to the basics of this issue. What is wrong with the
word "tit?" My dictionary defines it as a noun meaning "either of two soft
fleshy milk-secreting glandular organs on the chest of a woman." Seem rather
innocuous to me. I assume Kim, like most women, has those "soft fleshy
milk-secreting glandular organs." So why would so many be offended by her
very mention of that fact? It's not like she's refering to the sexual organs
or something.

Thanks for the detailed definition, Dwight. The term is vulgar slang
and you have, I'm sure, seen Kim's most recent explanation for having
chosen her call. Kim's choice is simply another of her several ways of
thumbing her nose at the world. Maybe you're the kind of fellow who
would be proud to have his wife, mother or daughter choose a similar
call. I'm not.

It might say something about their
character but it doesn't say anything
negative about it. The FCC looks
the other way with regard to language
used in prime time television these
days. (snip)

So you're comparing a woman's breasts to the filthy or offensive language
on television? Isn't that somewhat prudish, Dave?

No, Dwight. I'm comparing tasteless and tacky with tasteless and tacky.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 14th 04 09:49 PM

Leo wrote:

Jim, your debating style seems to be based almost entirely upon
diversion, circular logic, word games, smokescreening and sidestepping
of the main issue under discussion.

....and yours seems to be to set yourself up as an expert in debate while
taking the view that we're somehow obligated to be even handed toward
something which we find in poor taste.

I expected better from the man who
often speaks of principles and high standards of conduct in his posts.

Jim is quite obviously acting on his principles in this matter.

The issue, as you are quite well aware, is your singling out of Kim in
a list. And not creating a level playing field out of courtesy to
her. Period. An issue which has been carefully avoided in all of your

What game are we playing which requires a level field? Kim wasn't being
courteous to others in her choice of callsign. Perhaps you'll want to
take her to task over it. She singled herself out in her choice of
calls.
Now she has to live with the fallout. Some will give her a *wink* or a
*chuckle*. Some will voice their disapproval.

Are you unable or unwilling to face up to this single issue? - or
shall we all continue merrily down the garden path with you? You are
fooling no one but yourself, Jim.

"It has always been a peculiarity of the human race that it keeps two
sets of morals in stock-the private and the real, and the public and
the artificial." - Mark Twain

So we're to believe that your private, real morals are better than those
you've exhibited here. It seems that you've set yourself up here to
defend bad taste.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 14th 04 10:09 PM

Kim W5TIT wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Kim wrote:

Ahem...at least he hasn't said he's going to "pray for you" yet. I love

it
when someone says that to me with that certain "tone of voice" LOL

I'll bet you get that a lot. However, why should I do all of the work
for you?
Are you too busy to pray for yourself?

Did it ever occur to you that not everyone prays?

Sure it has, Kim. Why should I pray for you if you're not even going to
tackle it yourself? After all, If I prayed for you and told you so,
you'd simply think I was someone with that "certain tone of voice".

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 14th 04 10:10 PM

Kim W5TIT wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:

[...]

I have no problem living with it, Kim. After all, it was a factual
account of what took place. I even provided two very good illustrations
for your benefit. As to the reality that you still don't seem to get
it, I can live with that too.

Dave K8MN

Brian January 15th 04 12:04 AM

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...

I just applied their logic to the message at hand.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike, the PCTA double standard defies logic.

Leo January 15th 04 12:39 AM

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:49:08 GMT, Dave Heil
wrote:

Leo wrote:

Jim, your debating style seems to be based almost entirely upon
diversion, circular logic, word games, smokescreening and sidestepping
of the main issue under discussion.

...and yours seems to be to set yourself up as an expert in debate while
taking the view that we're somehow obligated to be even handed toward
something which we find in poor taste.

Not at all - you have missed the point entirely. My condolences.

I expected better from the man who
often speaks of principles and high standards of conduct in his posts.

Jim is quite obviously acting on his principles in this matter.

You think? :)

The issue, as you are quite well aware, is your singling out of Kim in
a list. And not creating a level playing field out of courtesy to
her. Period. An issue which has been carefully avoided in all of your

What game are we playing which requires a level field? Kim wasn't being
courteous to others in her choice of callsign. Perhaps you'll want to
take her to task over it. She singled herself out in her choice of
calls.

And two wrongs somehow make a right? Of course she singled herself
out with that call. So what? Does that make her a "bad person",
somehow unfit for common courtesy, Dave?

Now she has to live with the fallout. Some will give her a *wink* or a
*chuckle*. Some will voice their disapproval.

Full figured women live with the risk of fallout every day, Dave -
it's a fact of life. :)

Are you unable or unwilling to face up to this single issue? - or
shall we all continue merrily down the garden path with you? You are
fooling no one but yourself, Jim.

"It has always been a peculiarity of the human race that it keeps two
sets of morals in stock-the private and the real, and the public and
the artificial." - Mark Twain

So we're to believe that your private, real morals are better than those
you've exhibited here. It seems that you've set yourself up here to
defend bad taste.

Nope - just the right of one individual to be treated equally by the
others. Plain and simple.

Dave K8MN

73, Leo

Kim W5TIT January 15th 04 12:40 AM

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Dave Heil" wrote:

Sadly, some people attempt to forge
a tie between the terms "polite" and
"political correctness". There is no
link between them. Jim didn't treat
Kim's callsign badly; he didn't use it
at all. After all, it could be easily
argued that Kim didn't treat amateur
radio with respect in choosing her
call. A number of us believe that her
choice was tacky and tactless. (snip)

So, because Kim did something, it gave Jim the right to do something?
Isn't that a two wrongs don't make a right situation, Dave?

ROFLMAO!! Know what it sounds like to me? Sounds like Dave has an agenda.
The dialogue on this thread that has just been winding down the past couple
of days has less to do with my callsign than it did with overall practices
in newsgroups.

Yet, Dave persists in defending the topic from the angle of it having had
more to do with my callsign! He's managing to achieve nothing but tripping
over his own self.

Kim W5TIT

Kim W5TIT January 15th 04 12:54 AM

"Dave Heil" wrote in message

Actually, you still don't understand what you did. Jim did not change
what you wrote. His actions/comments were clearly his. You changed an
attribution. Jim did not.

And, you're still pontificating, Dave. How many times have I clearly
stated: I know what I did, I know what I did trumped what Jim did (i.e., had
greater impact on everyone), and I'll state now I don't think I'd change a
thing about doing it--three ways--again!

To me, attributes, or deleting things such as signatures and things from
tracking mechanisms, are equal. Got it? No difference in either action to
be determined as "wrong." Each is an insult, each is astray from standard
conventions of newsgroup submissions, and each have the same potential to
mislead, or at least misdirect, the readers of that post.

IS NOT Jim showing the same disrespect for Kim in this case as he

shows
for Kim in his posts where he does not type her callsign?

I don't think the justification for the action needs to be included in the
dialogue. As I stated in another post, regardless of reason, *both* are
wrong. I refuse to continue to get wrapped up in this being about my
callsign--it is not.

Therefore IT FOLLOWS that Jim MUST *always* make *full* attributes to
Kim exactly as she typed her post, with no deletions to content that

he
finds objectionable.

Any less would be disrepectful.

Good luck with this one.

Luck has nothing to do with it. Jim sees it quite differently, and I

see it
that he does just as he's accused me of doing.

No, he hasn't. I presented you with two illustrative example of what
you did. Jim did not do the same as you did at all.

You fall way short, Dave, of being able to *present* anything.

But, to me, I got my point
across and the posts get too long to continue the discussion ;)

It's hard for you to get your "point" across when you still don't
understand what you did.

Dave K8MN

Do you practice being an asshole, Dave? You must...because you're nearly
perfect at it.

Kim W5TIT

Kim W5TIT January 15th 04 12:56 AM

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Leo wrote:

[...]

Oh puhleeze, Dave. Live with the fallout!?! It's an amateur radio
callsign! Not a GD BOD decision! ROFLMAO!!!

Kim W5TIT January 15th 04 12:59 AM

"Dave Heil" wrote in message

I don't recall anyone saying anything about your call being "sexual". I
remember "tasteless", "tacky" and "inappropriate" being used. I recall
seeing the word "vulgar". Your latest reason for choosing your call
pretty much says it all.

Ummmm, do you change bottles of liquor at least once in a while, Dave? My
"latest reason" for choosing my callsign is the same as the "earlier
reasons."

Get a grip, Dave...it'll be much more enjoyable. Dare. Dare to live a
little.

Kim W5TIT

Kim W5TIT January 15th 04 01:02 AM

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
Kim wrote:

Ahem...at least he hasn't said he's going to "pray for you" yet. I

love
it
when someone says that to me with that certain "tone of voice" LOL

I'll bet you get that a lot. However, why should I do all of the work
for you?
Are you too busy to pray for yourself?

Did it ever occur to you that not everyone prays?

Sure it has, Kim. Why should I pray for you if you're not even going to
tackle it yourself? After all, If I prayed for you and told you so,
you'd simply think I was someone with that "certain tone of voice".

Dave K8MN

Praying is of little significance to me, in communing with God, Dave. But,
you're so shallow, I'm quite sure you are completely incapable of
understanding anything like that.

Oh, and please, don't pray for me. Most people who say things like that are
saying it to be vindictive---OH, that's right!!! You are being vindictive!

Kim W5TIT