RadioBanter

-   -   The Pool (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26579-pool.html)

Larry Roll K3LT January 21st 04 03:47 AM

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

I (W5TIT) have an appropriate callsign (W5TIT). The word "tit" (not the
callsign W5TIT) is not (the word tit) appropriate for use on the amateur
radio bands (but the callsign W5TIT is). And, the word "tit" is *not* used
on the amateur radio bands. Well, not that I (W5TIT) know of anyway. The
callsign W5TIT is used on the amateur radio bands and is quite an
appropriate callsign (W5TIT that is).

How can I (W5TIT) be more appropriate than that?

Kim W5TIT

Kim:

Yeah, it's so "appropriate" that Riley Hollingsworth said that your decision to
request such a call sign has the potential to bring the ARS "...one step closer
to extinction."
Somehow, I think I value his judgement much more than yours.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry Roll K3LT January 21st 04 03:47 AM

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

Oh, I don't know that he had any correspondence with the FCC; in fact I
highly doubt it. The Riley Hollingsworth email was a direct response from
him to me, and Larry has treasured it ever since :)

Kim W5TIT

Kim:

There's no doubt about that! It takes pride of place among my archive of gems
from my years on rrap, and there are very few of them, indeed! I hereby thank
you for providing it, and subsequently verifying it's authenticity.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Dwight Stewart January 21st 04 06:33 AM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote:

[THIS IS THE PART WHERE KIM
QUOTES THE PART OF RILEY'S
E-MAIL WHICH IS THE SUBJECT
OF THIS THREAD:] (snip)

(snip) While that's true, just because
a person has a right to do something
doesn't mean it's right to do it on every
occasion. While the call sign may fit the
constitution, for every instance where
a parent or uncle or grandparent doesn't
want a young person to get involved in
Ham Radio because of something they
hear on the bands, then you have taken
the ARS one step closer to extinction.
Then we can sit around and debate what
happened to all those Amateur
frequencies that industry bought at
auction---debating, of course, on the
internet and cellular because that'll be
all we have left. The first amendment will
still be alive and well, just as it is now,
tho, if that's any consolation. (snip)

Thanks for posting this again, Larry. I didn't say anything when I first
read it, but I remember having some doubts - doubts which still linger to
this day. The most obvious is why Riley singled out Kim for this
admonishment, without mentioning W4TIT (VA), W6TIT (TX), K5TIT (FL), K6TIT
(CA), N0TIT (FL), N4TIT (FL), W1ASS (MA), W2ASS (MA), W4ASS (NC), W5ASS
(TX), and similar callsigns. In other words, Kim's callsign, and similar
callsigns, are not exactly unique.

Clearly, letters only become vulgar when one attaches a specific meaning
to them. Without a context to make "TIT," or other such letters, vulgar, I
can't really envision a "parent or uncle or grandparent" keeping a child out
of Amateur Radio simply because those letters appear in a callsign.

Finally, I noticed most of the callsigns above belong to males (all except
one, a club call). The absence of any comment about those callsigns (from
Riley, you, or others here) makes me wonder if a callsign with the letters
"TIT" only becomes vulgar when used by a woman. Would Riley say those
callsigns bring Ham radio "one step closer to extinction?" Would Jim omit
those callsigns from his list (the topic this thread spun off from)? Would
you as aggressively challenge one of those guys, like you've done with Kim,
if any one of them were active in this newsgroup?

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Kim W5TIT January 21st 04 10:26 AM

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
ink.net...

Thanks for posting this again, Larry. I didn't say anything when I first
read it, but I remember having some doubts - doubts which still linger to
this day. The most obvious is why Riley singled out Kim for this
admonishment, without mentioning W4TIT (VA), W6TIT (TX), K5TIT (FL), K6TIT
(CA), N0TIT (FL), N4TIT (FL), W1ASS (MA), W2ASS (MA), W4ASS (NC), W5ASS
(TX), and similar callsigns. In other words, Kim's callsign, and similar
callsigns, are not exactly unique.

Another interesting little snippit... If I recall, it was only after I
"took on" some of the things Larry (and his ilk) was posting that he decided
to take a dislike to my callsign.

Makes one wonder if it is the callsign that is the reason for the attitude;
or that they just plain dislike me and can't think of any other way to
express it. Kind of like when I say something that would--under normal
conditions--stand on its own without the chance of drawing fi just
because it was me that said it, there is disagreement that will be found for
it.

I think it's all that "other stuff" that comes into play. Riley was
probably closer to having a real opinion about my callsign than Larry or
anyone else here is. He was honest and forthright about it, and dignified
in his response. Larry seems to think it's "disrespectful" to disagree with
Riley's opinion--why I don't know. Riley is a person just like anyone else
and is entitled to his opinion. And, since the ARS is no closer to
exctinction today than it was prior to my ever getting a license, I totally
disagree with Riley.

Clearly, letters only become vulgar when one attaches a specific meaning
to them. Without a context to make "TIT," or other such letters, vulgar, I
can't really envision a "parent or uncle or grandparent" keeping a child

out
of Amateur Radio simply because those letters appear in a callsign.

Oh, I can. If they're prone to "protecting" their little tyke from the
evils of the world--in every way but actually dealing with the little tyke,
i.e., making it everyone else's fault but their own that their little tyke
is actually a little monster. ;)

Finally, I noticed most of the callsigns above belong to males (all

except
one, a club call). The absence of any comment about those callsigns (from
Riley, you, or others here) makes me wonder if a callsign with the letters
"TIT" only becomes vulgar when used by a woman. Would Riley say those
callsigns bring Ham radio "one step closer to extinction?" Would Jim omit
those callsigns from his list (the topic this thread spun off from)? Would
you as aggressively challenge one of those guys, like you've done with

Kim,
if any one of them were active in this newsgroup?

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Fact ot the matter is my callsign is not vulgar, it is not disrespectful, it
is not inappropriate. It's nothing more than a vanity callsign that brings
out other peoples' vanity (here in this newsgroup anyway) way more than it
even expresses my own :o And, it works great working DX and pileups--when I
used to do that! ;)

Kim W5TIT

Leo January 21st 04 12:35 PM

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 04:26:39 -0600, "Kim W5TIT"
wrote:

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
link.net...

Thanks for posting this again, Larry. I didn't say anything when I first
read it, but I remember having some doubts - doubts which still linger to
this day. The most obvious is why Riley singled out Kim for this
admonishment, without mentioning W4TIT (VA), W6TIT (TX), K5TIT (FL), K6TIT
(CA), N0TIT (FL), N4TIT (FL), W1ASS (MA), W2ASS (MA), W4ASS (NC), W5ASS
(TX), and similar callsigns. In other words, Kim's callsign, and similar
callsigns, are not exactly unique.

Another interesting little snippit... If I recall, it was only after I
"took on" some of the things Larry (and his ilk) was posting that he decided
to take a dislike to my callsign.

Makes one wonder if it is the callsign that is the reason for the attitude;
or that they just plain dislike me and can't think of any other way to
express it.

The statements of those who voice the strongest objections tend to
support your observation, Kim.

Jim himself, who insists that it is just the "inappropriate callsign"
that bothers him, stated (regarding his negative opinion towards the
callsign):

"It wasn't formed beforehand. It was formed only after I encountered
the callsign and its owner here, and considered all the issues."

This statement indicates that it isn't just the call that bothers him
- it's a combination of the call plus other 'factors'. The 'package',
as it were.

Dave, in his recent posts, appears to harbour similar feelings :)

[...]

Anyone who believes that they can protect their youngsters from bad
language and sexual references by censoring what they see is deluding
themselves. They will hear worse things at the local schooltard than
they will on TV, radio or (gasp) RRAP....

Finally, I noticed most of the callsigns above belong to males (all

except
one, a club call). The absence of any comment about those callsigns (from
Riley, you, or others here) makes me wonder if a callsign with the letters
"TIT" only becomes vulgar when used by a woman. Would Riley say those
callsigns bring Ham radio "one step closer to extinction?" Would Jim omit
those callsigns from his list (the topic this thread spun off from)? Would
you as aggressively challenge one of those guys, like you've done with

Kim,
if any one of them were active in this newsgroup?

They will defiantly state "of course not - we treat everyone equally".
lol.

Leo January 21st 04 03:32 PM

Jim,

I sense a fair amount of hostility in your reply - I see that you are
even taking issue with the statements that I made in agreement or
support with several of your earlier points. I can also see that to
expect objectivity from you on this issue would be impossible as well,
as you continue to hold up your "standards" in defense of your
actions, even where they would not be compromised at all. You also
adhere to the principle that it is only Kim's callsign that you find
"inappropriate", yet you have also stated that this decision was based
upon your consideration of not only the callsign, but other factors:
(the following statement was with reference to your opinion of the
appropriateness of the callsign):

"It wasn't formed beforehand. It was formed only after I encountered
the callsign and its owner here, and considered all the issues."

This statement points to a much deeper issue than just a simple
"inappropriate" callsign.

The use of one's own moralistic views and beliefs to deny the rights
of another is "inappropriate" too, Jim.

But, if you wish to further moralize upon this issue, I refer you to
the ultimate authority, with all sincerity and best wishes:

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can
and the wisdom to know the difference

May you find peace and comfort with the world, Jim.

73 es 30, Leo

On 20 Jan 2004 14:28:12 -0800, (N2EY) wrote:

I thought I answered this, but apparently not. I'll try again...

Leo wrote in message . ..
On 17 Jan 2004 00:57:34 GMT,
(N2EY) wrote:

In article , Leo
writes:

For some reason, this discussion keeps going off on a tangent from the
core "issue" that began our discourse.

There are several issues, not just one.

OK - I'm listening.

Perhaps I haven't stated it
clearly enough, or during the discussion the original issue has become
clouded.

Let's see what you've got, then.

Let's go.

I have responded to your comments below, but I fear that we will
continue forever if we are not discussing exactly the same issue.

I understand that, due to your standards, you find Kim's callsign
inappropriate.

That's correct. It's also an issue to some people.

OK - fair enough. And it shouldn't be.

That's a moral judgement on your part. You're declaring what should
and should not be an issue to other people. IOW, you're telling them
what to think and what their standards should be when you say it
shouldn't be an issue.

Your personal standards are
your own - no one else's. Let's clear that one off - agreed?

My personal standards are shared by other people. I don't know
how many, but if there's even one other person who shares my
standards, then they're *not* "no one else's".

No issue there - that is entirely your right.

Some people say it isn't. Not you, but some others.

Others may, but who cares - it's none of their business.

Why not?

I also
understand that you do not wish to use it in any of your posts.

Also correct. And also an issue to some people, who say that my deletion of
Kim's call is "wrong".

Let's focus on that one, and agree that deleting her call from your
post is necessary for you to due to your standards. I have no issue
there at all. If you don't want to use it, OK. Let's clear this one
off too - agreed?

I won't use it in my posts. I'm not legally required to, either.

Again, no issue there - I respect that.

For clarity, I'll restate it in clear and concise wording:

Kim feels that eliminating just her callsign from your post was
unfair, as it singled her out. I agree.

And I disagree. Kim singled herself out by choosing that callsign. As you are
aware.

Yes she did - and quite intentionally, too, as she has stated.

Then she needs to accept the consequences of that action.

That wasn't, however, what I was saying in my statement above. Simply
that Kim feels that you singled her out too, by omitting just her call
from the list.

She and you know exactly why her call was omitted.

Forget the inappropriatenesss of the call for a moment....

Why? It's the cause of the omission.

do you see where she might get that feeling?

Sure - she wants to be included in the list even though she
disregards the list's standards.

Would finding a compromise
whereby neither your standards nor Kim's feelings - such as removing
all of the callsigns and listing only names for all participants -
have not been a fairer way to handle this situation for all concerned?

No, it wouldn't.

Honestly, I dont agree with you on this point. It would have been an
easy compromise to make, and woulld potentially have offended no one.

It would have offended me and anyone who agreed with my standards.

More on this further down in the post!

That's the only issue that I am discussing, Jim.

No, it isn't, but we'll get to that later. Right now, let's discuss that issue.

It seems to me that what you're saying is that I should either include
everyone's callsign, or no one's.

Now since I don't wish to include Kim's callsign, that leaves only the option
of including no one's callsign, in order to accomodate Kim's feelings.

Agreed - in order to treat everyone equally, that would be the only
other option available given the situation.

That means everyone must suffer in order to avoid the possibility of
Kim's feelings being hurt.

But what about everyone else's feelings, including mine? I want my call listed.

I would feel disrespected to be listed by name rather than callsign or name and
callsign on an amateur radio newsgroup.

Yes, and I believe that Kim feels exactly the same way, Jim.

Then let her choose an appropriate callsign.

For the
same reason as you, I suppose - she is also a ham. (She does not feel
that her call is in any way wrong, remember.)

You're saying her feelings are more important than my standards and my feelings.

Maybe Dee, Dave, Carl, Dwight, Jim, Jim, Steve, et. al also want *their*
callsigns listed, and would feel disrespected if I listed by name only.

Don't the feelings of everyone else count?

Of course they do - but are you sure that these people world be that
upset by this?

Are you sure they aren't?

Why should the people who chose appropriate callsigns not get them
listed in order to appease those who chose inappropriate ones?

(except Dave, of course - he appears, from his recent
correspondence, to be annoyed that Kim is still breathing... :) )

Not at all.

In fact, if it had been my post, I would have revised it to names only
immediately after Kim's original complaint.

But it wasn't your post. It was my post.

And seen what comments
came back next. If I had several legitimate complaints (without the
agendas that we have seen in several recent posts {not yours, Jim!)
which obviously relate to Kim personally rather than just her
call...), then yes there would be no other alternative than to put the
calls back - but I would have written and offered Kim the option of
going by name only or dropping out before I went ahead. At least I'd
be able to tell Kim that I tried to fix it for her, but it didn't work
out with the rest of the group.

So you'd go through all that and wind up with the calls in the post because
some of us would complain.

Maybe it's just me, but I would try first to resolve her complaint if
possible, out of respect for her as a fellow amateur.

That's nice - but by doing so, you are validating her choice of
callsign. I won't do that.

I prefer
compromise whenever possible - not compromising my standards, but
finding a way to achieve a balance.

My standards say that your compromise involves compromising my standards.

Note also, Kim said that if I wouldn't use her callsign, she didn't want to be on the list..

True, but that was after the had become frustrated with trying to
solve this issue.

She could solve it very easily by choosing an appropriate callsign.

Your rights and
standards are not at question here.

Yes, they are. I've been told that "it's not my place" to determine whether a
callsign is appropriate or not. I've been told that my actions are "wrong".

As you are aware.

I did state that it is in fact no one individual's place to determine
what is or is not appropriate for the ARS - that role belongs to the
regulators, and to the will of the majority of us, I suppose.

I recall being told it was not *MY* place to judge. And I disagree.
It's my place to judge in terms of what I will and will not validate.

Each of us is however completely in charge of determining what is
appropriate for us as an individual, however. No question there.

Jim, my intent was not to criticize your standards

Tell it to those who used words like "prejudice" to describe
my standards.

- simply to point
out that perhaps a more amicable solution to this issue was possible
without compromising anyone's standards - finding a common ground for
all.

That's it - that's my point.

That's fine. And I disagree.

73 de Jim, N2EY

JJ January 21st 04 07:48 PM

Kim W5TIT wrote:

Fact ot the matter is my callsign is not vulgar, it is not disrespectful, it
is not inappropriate.

It, like those other call signs mentioned, is in very bad taste. But
then what else should we expect of you?

Dee D. Flint January 21st 04 10:13 PM

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
ink.net...
Finally, I noticed most of the callsigns above belong to males (all

except
one, a club call). The absence of any comment about those callsigns (from
Riley, you, or others here) makes me wonder if a callsign with the letters
"TIT" only becomes vulgar when used by a woman. Would Riley say those
callsigns bring Ham radio "one step closer to extinction?" Would Jim omit
those callsigns from his list (the topic this thread spun off from)? Would
you as aggressively challenge one of those guys, like you've done with

Kim,
if any one of them were active in this newsgroup?

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

No it only becomes vulgar when chosen as a vanity call for the purpose of
"getting in someone's face". If a person were to choose it because there
name was something like "Tonya Irene Tidwell" and they wanted their
initials, it is not vulgar. However parents are often careful not to name
their children such that the initials would give rise to unwelcome teasing
and other problems.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

JJ January 21st 04 10:47 PM

Dee D. Flint wrote:
[...]

Which is the exact reason kim chose that call. Nothing more than to call
attention to herself. Some people have to resort to those type of things
for any recgonition.

Dave Heil January 22nd 04 12:58 AM

Leo wrote:

You may want to suggest an experiment to those guys who do not
understand how this must feel. Ask them to place a large banana in
the inside front of their pants before they head off to work one
morning. Have them engage as many of their co-workers as possible in
conversation.

Then, the next day, have them go in (minus the banana :) ) and see if
they can find anyone who remembers what the hell they were talking
about the day before......

Actually that doesn't seem like a very good example, "Leo". You'd get
the same result whether the guy wore the banana in the front or in the
rear of his pants.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 22nd 04 01:40 AM

Len Over 21 wrote:

Do you practice being an

[word deleted]

, Dave? You must...because you're nearly
perfect at it.

Herr Robust is without imperfection in that regard...

Did you ever notice that those who do ice-skating commentary are often
former ice skating champions? that those who do NFL commentary are
usually former professional football players?

I think you've found your area of expertise, Leonard.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 22nd 04 01:47 AM

William wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...

Why not admit that you fall short of being able to read and understand?

At the end of the day, we learn that only Dave has understanding and
everyone else has problems.

Not really. All we've learned is that someone who isn't sure of his
name believes that he is "everyone else".

Dave K8MN

Leo January 22nd 04 01:53 AM

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:58:25 GMT, Dave Heil
wrote:

Leo wrote:

You may want to suggest an experiment to those guys who do not
understand how this must feel. Ask them to place a large banana in
the inside front of their pants before they head off to work one
morning. Have them engage as many of their co-workers as possible in
conversation.

Then, the next day, have them go in (minus the banana :) ) and see if
they can find anyone who remembers what the hell they were talking
about the day before......

Actually that doesn't seem like a very good example, "Leo". You'd get
the same result whether the guy wore the banana in the front or in the
rear of his pants.

um - I think that putting the banana in the back of the pants might
send a very different message, "Dave". And elicit a very different
reaction.

In front, they'd probably be embarassed by the obvious -um-
masculinity that appears to be showing. Red faces, can't keep the eyes
off it - like a big magnet....

In back - well, they'd hear what the guy had to say alright, but
they's probably never stop laughing when they watched him walk away.
Some may even be horrified....

One of these, though, would cause folks to stare at the guy in a
similar way to that experienced by many well endowed women every day -
you don't think that the banana in the back of the pants' would do
that.....do you?

YMMV!

Dave K8MN

73, Leo

Mike Coslo January 22nd 04 03:12 AM

Dave Heil wrote:

Leo wrote:

You may want to suggest an experiment to those guys who do not
understand how this must feel. Ask them to place a large banana in
the inside front of their pants before they head off to work one
morning. Have them engage as many of their co-workers as possible in
conversation.

Then, the next day, have them go in (minus the banana :) ) and see if
they can find anyone who remembers what the hell they were talking
about the day before......

Actually that doesn't seem like a very good example, "Leo". You'd get
the same result whether the guy wore the banana in the front or in the
rear of his pants.

ROFL! And *that* kind folks, is the retort of the week! Good one Dave.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo January 22nd 04 03:43 AM

wrote:

Leo wrote:

[...]

The whole argument is kind of moot, Leo. Some women seek out the
attention, witness padded bras and surgical disfigurement that some
women go through in order to be stared at.

I think the best defense against someone who leers is to simply mention
it. Most will be mortified, and those that aren't are jerks anyhow.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Larry Roll K3LT January 22nd 04 04:13 AM

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

Fact ot the matter is my callsign is not vulgar, it is not disrespectful, it
is not inappropriate.

Kim:

In fact, it is all of the above, but, I guess you're entitled to your
delusions.

It's nothing more than a vanity callsign that brings
out other peoples' vanity (here in this newsgroup anyway) way more than it
even expresses my own :o

What it is bringing out is other people's disgust. However, anyone who would
have the poor taste to request such a call sign would also not be very likely
to latch on to other people's negative reaction to it, except for whatever sick
pleasure you derive from it.

And, it works great working DX and pileups--when I
used to do that! ;)

Don't look now, Kim, but you're a No-code Technician. There is no way
you can "work DX and pileups" on HF unless you were operating as a
third party using your OM's privileges, and that would also require the
use of his call sign. Oh, yeah, six meters. Sure, I DX and pileups are
possible there, but I rather suspect you were talking about HF. Please
give us a run-down on your OM's VHF DX'ing capabilities. That should
be a good one.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry Roll K3LT January 22nd 04 04:13 AM

In article . net, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

[...]

Dwight:

Obviously, Riley was responding to Kim's specific inquiry regarding her
own call sign. It is likely that he would have also found those particular
call signs to be of questionable appropriateness in a family-oriented
hobbyist radio service.

Clearly, letters only become vulgar when one attaches a specific meaning
to them. Without a context to make "TIT," or other such letters, vulgar, I
can't really envision a "parent or uncle or grandparent" keeping a child out
of Amateur Radio simply because those letters appear in a callsign.

The "context" is self-evident. It is a well-known vulgarity referring to a
woman's breasts in a connotation which is generally considered to be
of a sexual nature.

Finally, I noticed most of the callsigns above belong to males (all except
one, a club call).

Maybe so, but that doesn't make them any less objectionable.

The absence of any comment about those callsigns (from
Riley, you, or others here) makes me wonder if a callsign with the letters
"TIT" only becomes vulgar when used by a woman.

You have just seen me raise the issue of the objectionable nature of those
particular call sign suffixes, regardless of the sex of the holder.

Would Riley say those
callsigns bring Ham radio "one step closer to extinction?"

I would not presume to speak for Riley -- why don't you ask him?

Would Jim omit
those callsigns from his list (the topic this thread spun off from)? Would
you as aggressively challenge one of those guys, like you've done with Kim,
if any one of them were active in this newsgroup?

Yes, I would. Even if those call signs were issued sequentially, there is
no reason for the licensee to keep them and use them on the air if they
are of an objectionable nature. The FCC would certainly honor their
request for a call sign reassignment. Anyone who kept and used such
a call would be subject to the same questions regarding their motives as
is Kim.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Dwight Stewart January 22nd 04 07:45 AM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

No it only becomes vulgar when
chosen as a vanity call for the
purpose of "getting in someone's
face". If a person were to choose
it because there name was
something like "Tonya Irene
Tidwell" and they wanted their
initials, it is not vulgar. (snip)

However, given the topic of this discussion (children and the ARS one step
closer to extinction), how is one supposed to know the difference between
the in your face "TIT" and the "TIT" initials? In the end, without a
specific context, it's just a callsign. And how would a callsign bring the

Dwight Stewart January 22nd 04 10:24 AM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote:

"Dwight Stewart" writes:
Clearly, letters only become vulgar when
one attaches a specific meaning to them.
Without a context to make "TIT," or other
such letters, vulgar, I can't really envision
a "parent or uncle or grandparent" keeping
a child out of Amateur Radio simply
because those letters appear in a callsign.

The "context" is self-evident. It is a well-
known vulgarity referring to a woman's
breasts in a connotation which is generally
considered to be of a sexual nature. (snip)

The "vulgarity" and "of a sexual nature" is self-evident to you, Larry.
Funk & Wagnals describes "tit" as "teat, breast or nipple." Princeton
University's WordWeb defines "tit" as "either of two soft fleshy
milk-secreting glandular organs on the chest of a woman" or "the small
projection of a mammary gland." And, of course, both mention a "small
insectivorous bird." Many farm animals have teats or "tits," but most don't
consider them to be "of a sexual nature."

(snip) Would you as aggressively challenge
one of those guys, like you've done with
Kim, if any one of them were active in this
newsgroup?

Yes, I would. Even if those call signs were
issued sequentially, there is no reason for
the licensee to keep them and use them on
the air if they are of an objectionable nature.
The FCC would certainly honor their request
for a call sign reassignment. Anyone who
kept and used such a call would be subject to
the same questions regarding their motives as
is Kim.

Then you have a lot of aggressive questioning to do. In addition to the
examples given before (containing either "TIT" and "ASS"), I found about a
dozen more with the same suffixes and several dozen more with other
questionable suffixes (GAY, FAG, LEZ, CUM, SEX, and so on). At this stage in
the search, I suspect there may eventually be several hundred callsigns you
might object to. Given that, and the amount of time you've spent just
questioning Kim alone, you may have decades of aggressive questioning still
to do before you finish the entire list. Of course, the more logical
approach would to discuss this with the FCC instead. After all, if getting
rid of "questionable" callsigns in a "family-oriented hobbyist radio
service" is your true goal, that would be the most appropriate, and
effective, way to do so.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Dwight Stewart January 22nd 04 11:22 AM

"Leo" wrote:

"Kim W5TIT" wrote:
Another interesting little snippit... If
I recall, it was only after I "took on"
some of the things Larry (and his ilk)
was posting that he decided to take
a dislike to my callsign.

Makes one wonder if it is the callsign
that is the reason for the attitude; or
that they just plain dislike me and can't
think of any other way to express it.

The statements of those who voice the
strongest objections tend to support your
observation, Kim. (snip)

Your message didn't show up on my server, Kim. So I'll use Leo's message
(thanks, Leo) to post my response. Anyway, yes, I also seem to remember your
callsign wasn't an issue until after you disagreed with Larry and friends.
Only at that point did they decide to focus on your callsign to distract
from the counter-arguments you made. However, regardless of how it started,
that is certainly how your callsign is being used now. It now seems Larry
and some of his friends would rather belittle your callsign than seriously
respond to your comments on various issues. Of course, some, on the other
hand, are simply using your callsign in the same manner as the codswallop of
the typical newsgroup troll (including Larry on occasion).

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Kim W5TIT January 22nd 04 11:58 AM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , "Kim W5TIT"

writes:

And, it works great working DX and pileups--when I
used to do that! ;)

Don't look now, Kim, but you're a No-code Technician. There is no way
you can "work DX and pileups" on HF unless you were operating as a
third party using your OM's privileges, and that would also require the
use of his call sign. Oh, yeah, six meters. Sure, I DX and pileups are
possible there, but I rather suspect you were talking about HF. Please
give us a run-down on your OM's VHF DX'ing capabilities. That should
be a good one.

73 de Larry, K3LT

"Don't look now, Larry" but I am a CODED Tech+. Don't even tell me you have
missed that for the past umpteenth years! I have been a CODED Tech+ nearly
since the beginning of being an amateur. I think it was a couple/few months
after getting my ticket that I finally passed the 5 wpm.

And, yes, for the first two or three years I worked a lot of HF, on 10M
anyway, and always worked a pileup if I heard one, always worked DX if I
happened to hear someone during the weekday on my lunchhour and can't think
of a time when I have failed to "get through."

So, don't look now, Larry, you're wrong, as usual. Sneer away....it becomes
you.

Kim W5TIT

Kim W5TIT January 22nd 04 12:01 PM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

No it only becomes vulgar when
chosen as a vanity call for the
purpose of "getting in someone's
face". If a person were to choose
it because there name was
something like "Tonya Irene
Tidwell" and they wanted their
initials, it is not vulgar. (snip)

However, given the topic of this discussion (children and the ARS one

step
closer to extinction), how is one supposed to know the difference between
the in your face "TIT" and the "TIT" initials? In the end, without a
specific context, it's just a callsign. And how would a callsign bring the
ARS one step closer to extinction?

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Thank you. And, as someone else pointed out, if a kid derives the word
"tit" from my callsign, it AIN'T because I taught 'em. *Anyone* who thinks
kids are still that innocent these days, has not been on a schoolyard or
listening in on kids' conversations when they think no one is around--and
I've even heard Kindergartners speaking of some pretty risque topics. Sad
but true.

Kim W5TIT

Kim W5TIT January 22nd 04 12:03 PM

[...]

Yep. Period. That's the end of the story ;)

Kim W5TIT

Leo January 22nd 04 12:09 PM

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 03:12:59 GMT, Mike Coslo
wrote:

Dave Heil wrote:

Leo wrote:

You may want to suggest an experiment to those guys who do not
understand how this must feel. Ask them to place a large banana in
the inside front of their pants before they head off to work one
morning. Have them engage as many of their co-workers as possible in
conversation.

Then, the next day, have them go in (minus the banana :) ) and see if
they can find anyone who remembers what the hell they were talking
about the day before......

Actually that doesn't seem like a very good example, "Leo". You'd get
the same result whether the guy wore the banana in the front or in the
rear of his pants.

ROFL! And *that* kind folks, is the retort of the week! Good one Dave.

I wonder if Dave is basing his statement on first-hand empirical
evidence... :)

- Mike KB3EIA -

73, Leo

Leo January 22nd 04 12:13 PM

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:24:14 GMT, "Dwight Stewart"
wrote:

Well said, Dwight!

73, Leo

N2EY January 22nd 04 05:12 PM

"Kim" wrote in message ...
"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
ink.net...

And how would a callsign bring the
ARS one step closer to extinction?

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Simple - by making the ARS seem to be something many people won't
want to be a part of - or have their kids be a part of.

Dwight, you previously said you didn't know any parents who would
keep their kids out of ham radio over a callsign like Kim's. Well,
I know plenty of parents who would not support their kids' being
involved in ham radio if their first (or second, or third)
impression involved such callsigns.

as someone else pointed out, if a kid derives the word

[word deleted]

from my callsign, it AIN'T because I taught 'em.

That's true. A child who has never seen the word won't learn it
from your callsign.

But if the child already knows the word, you will have taught him/her
something worse. You'll have taught the child that the use of such
words in public, and in ham radio, is OK. That it's acceptable behavior.
And you've made it that much harder for them to learn appropriate
behavior.

Kids are influenced by what they see and hear adults doing, even though
they will deny such influence. Kids who see adults smoking, drinking
irresponsibly, cussing, etc., will be influenced to try the same or
similar behaviors themselves *IF* those behaviors in adults are
portrayed as acceptable, "fun", glamorous, etc.

I recall quite clearly how, as a teenager, I and my peers were subjected
to lectures on the evils of illegal drugs like marijuana, LSD, speed,
'ludes, etc. Those lectures were not very convincing when delivered by
adults who needed two cups of coffee in the morning to get started, a few
beers or manhattans in the evening to slow down, and cigarettes all day to
keep going. Same principle applies in any subject - if Coach emphasizes
fair play and following the rules over winning at any cost, the team is
much more likely to learn that lesson.

*Anyone* who thinks
kids are still that innocent these days, has not been on a schoolyard or
listening in on kids' conversations when they think no one is around--and
I've even heard Kindergartners speaking of some pretty risque topics.

But that does *not* mean it doesn't matter what adults say and do in their
presence, or in public! The mere fact that you have to listen in when
they don't know you're there means the kids are learning that not all
behavior is appropriate in all contexts.

Same principle as teaching them it's OK to pull their pants down in the
bathroom or doctor's office, but *not* OK to do in public! Even though
everyone knows what's under their clothes, what those body parts are
called, etc.

Sad but true.

The reason it's like that is the failure of adults to act appropriately.

73 de Jim, N2EY

JJ January 22nd 04 05:31 PM

Dwight Stewart wrote:
"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

No it only becomes vulgar when
chosen as a vanity call for the
purpose of "getting in someone's
face". If a person were to choose
it because there name was
something like "Tonya Irene
Tidwell" and they wanted their
initials, it is not vulgar. (snip)

However, given the topic of this discussion (children and the ARS one step
closer to extinction), how is one supposed to know the difference between
the in your face "TIT" and the "TIT" initials? In the end, without a
specific context, it's just a callsign.

IIRC kim chose the call sign on a dare because of the "TIT". Now why
would anyone challenge someone to chose that callsign unless they saw
the "TIT" had some kind of in your face or sexual reference? That is
exactly why she chose the call sign, because of the tit reference.
Extremely bad taste.

And how would a callsign bring the
ARS one step closer to extinction?

Picture a senerio where some ham brings his young grandson or
granddaughter to a ham meeting or a field day to introduce them to
amateur radio. They walk in and there stands some broad with an XL size
tee shirt on that is still two sizes too small, with a call sign like
that across her chest. Not a very good statement for ham radio.

JJ January 22nd 04 05:38 PM

N2EY wrote:

"Kim" wrote in message ...

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
hlink.net...

[...]

But kim has already stated she dosen't care what anyone else thinks,
which is the general attitude of people with little or no taste.

N2EY January 22nd 04 05:39 PM

wrote:

[...]

You are mistaken, Leo.

That statement of mine was in response to claims that I was "prejudiced"
about Kim's callsign.

The word "prejudice" means to "pre-judge". IOW, to come to a conclusion
before knowing all the relevant facts. My statement

"It wasn't formed beforehand. It was formed only after I encountered
the callsign and its owner here, and considered all the issues."

simply proves that I wasn't prejudiced because I didn't pre-judge. And I
did not encounter that callsign, or ones like it, before I saw it here
on rrap, in use by its holder.

IOW, I did not hear about it somewhere else, see it used by someone other
than Kim, etc. And I did not rush to judgement.

In fact, when I first saw it, I thought "Kim" and the callsign were
pseudonyms being used to hide the identity of the poster. Like your
use of only your first name, rather than your callsign. Imagine
my surprise when I discovered it was for-real!

Look at the context in which I wrote that statement, and it is clear
that it simply means I formed my opinion of Kim's callsign based on
experiences here, not on prejudice.

73 de Jim, N2EY

JJ January 22nd 04 05:45 PM

wrote:

[...]

And I might add, if I were trying to introduce my grandson or
granddaughter to amateur radio, do you think I would walk up to kim and
say, "I would like you to meet kim, her callsign is W5TIT." Hardly, she
would be the one person I would steer them away from as I would
certainly like to present better examples of what amateur radio is about.

Leo January 22nd 04 05:47 PM

wrote:

[...]

You are saying that your opinion was formed based on experiences here,
and not simply on the callsign, aren't you? Your statement that you
did not pre-judge certainly enforces this, does it not?

I keep hearing that the callsign is inappropriate, but what you really
mean that it is a combination of factors - right?

73 de Jim, N2EY

73, Leo

Leo January 22nd 04 05:49 PM

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:38:24 -0700, JJ
wrote:

But kim has already stated she dosen't care what anyone else thinks,
which is the general attitude of people with little or no taste.

LOL!

You do see the irony in this statement, I hope..... :)

73, Leo

N2EY January 23rd 04 12:59 AM

wrote:

[...]

Nope.

I'm saying that I didn't have an opinion until I encountered the callsign here.

Your statement that you
did not pre-judge certainly enforces this, does it not?

Nope. All my statement says is that I did not have an opinion until I saw the
callsign. And at first I thought it wasn't a real, FCC issued callsign, but
simply a way of staying anonymous. Like you do, "Leo".

I figured that the person using it here chose it as a screen name
because FCC wouldn't issue such a call. I was mistaken - FCC
*would* issue it, but only as a vanity. Which surprised the

[expletive deleted]

out of me!

I keep hearing that the callsign is inappropriate, but what you really
mean that it is a combination of factors - right?

Wrong. The callsign, and others like it, are simply inappropriate for the
ARS. Just my opinion. That FCC allows them and that hams choose
them doesn't make them any more appropriate for the ARS.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Leo January 23rd 04 01:47 AM

On 23 Jan 2004 00:59:25 GMT, (N2EY) wrote:

In article , Leo
writes:
snip

Look at the context in which I wrote that statement, and it is clear
that it simply means I formed my opinion of Kim's callsign based on
experiences here, not on prejudice.

You are saying that your opinion was formed based on experiences here,
and not simply on the callsign, aren't you?

Nope.

Guess this is the part that confuses me, Jim - in the first sentence
above, you state that you formed your opinion of Kim's callsign based
on experiences here. In the decond sentence, you said "nope" to
exactly the same thing....

I'm confused!

snip

73 de Jim, N2EY

73, Leo

Leo January 23rd 04 01:49 AM

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 01:47:09 GMT, Leo wrote:

On 23 Jan 2004 00:59:25 GMT, (N2EY) wrote:

In article , Leo
writes:
snip

Look at the context in which I wrote that statement, and it is clear
that it simply means I formed my opinion of Kim's callsign based on
experiences here, not on prejudice.

You are saying that your opinion was formed based on experiences here,
and not simply on the callsign, aren't you?

Nope.

Guess this is the part that confuses me, Jim - in the first sentence
above, you state that you formed your opinion of Kim's callsign based
on experiences here. In the decond sentence, you said "nope" to
exactly the same thing....

I'm confused!

....and spelling challenged too. Make that 'second' sentence (what the
H$%% is a decond?? I dunno).......

73, Leo ...again

snip

73 de Jim, N2EY

73, Leo

JJ January 23rd 04 02:13 AM

Leo wrote:

...and spelling challenged too. Make that 'second' sentence (what the
H$%% is a decond?? I dunno).......

Don't worry about it Leo, anyone who can't spell a word more than one
way simply has no imegintion.

Larry Roll K3LT January 23rd 04 02:28 AM

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

"Don't look now, Larry" but I am a CODED Tech+. Don't even tell me you have
missed that for the past umpteenth years! I have been a CODED Tech+ nearly
since the beginning of being an amateur. I think it was a couple/few months
after getting my ticket that I finally passed the 5 wpm.

And, yes, for the first two or three years I worked a lot of HF, on 10M
anyway, and always worked a pileup if I heard one, always worked DX if I
happened to hear someone during the weekday on my lunchhour and can't think
of a time when I have failed to "get through."

So, don't look now, Larry, you're wrong, as usual. Sneer away....it becomes
you.

Kim W5TIT

Kim:

Yes, you're right. I was wrong. I admit my mistake. Too bad you won't
do the same and change your call sign.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Leo January 23rd 04 04:05 AM

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:13:59 -0700, JJ
wrote:

Leo wrote:

...and spelling challenged too. Make that 'second' sentence (what the
H$%% is a decond?? I dunno).......

Don't worry about it Leo, anyone who can't spell a word more than one
way simply has no imegintion.

Absalutely right!

73, Leo

Kim W5TIT January 23rd 04 10:50 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
"Kim" wrote in message

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
ink.net...

And how would a callsign bring the
ARS one step closer to extinction?

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Simple - by making the ARS seem to be something many people won't
want to be a part of - or have their kids be a part of.

It's my opinion that my callsign would be totally innocuous unless someone
sat there and thought about it for a bit--if even then. And, if must
"finally realize" anything about a callsign, then it is definitely because
they took their own path getting there; not because anyone led them there.
To make that a bearer's responsibility to "the community of man" is
ridiculous and I don't wear that crap.

Dwight, you previously said you didn't know any parents who would
keep their kids out of ham radio over a callsign like Kim's. Well,
I know plenty of parents who would not support their kids' being
involved in ham radio if their first (or second, or third)
impression involved such callsigns.

Then, they'd best just keep their kids out of sports, school, movies,
churches; in fact, just lock 'em up and keep 'em safe. The responsibility
of the parent is to teach what is vulgar and what is not. My callsign is
not vulgar. The implication that breasts are something to hide, be
embarrassed about, think of only in a sexual manner, etc., is the vulgar
act.

as someone else pointed out, if a kid derives the word

[word deleted]

from my callsign, it AIN'T because I taught 'em.

That's true. A child who has never seen the word won't learn it
from your callsign.

See first sentence above.

But if the child already knows the word, you will have taught him/her
something worse. You'll have taught the child that the use of such
words in public, and in ham radio, is OK. That it's acceptable behavior.
And you've made it that much harder for them to learn appropriate
behavior.

See second sentence above.

Kids are influenced by what they see and hear adults doing, even though
they will deny such influence. Kids who see adults smoking, drinking
irresponsibly, cussing, etc., will be influenced to try the same or
similar behaviors themselves *IF* those behaviors in adults are
portrayed as acceptable, "fun", glamorous, etc.

And, it is not the responsibility of "the community" to see that a kid
doesn't learn all that stuff and think it's attractive. It's the
responsibility of the parents, family, and anyone personally involved with
the raising and upbringing of a kid. I taught my kids that all "that stuff"
was all over the place. One of them learned that it was not attractive and
lives responsibly, one of them thought most of it was great and barely
accomplishes anything each day. I must have succeeded with one and needed
to work a lot harder with the other. They *both* saw the same "community."

I recall quite clearly how, as a teenager, I and my peers were subjected
to lectures on the evils of illegal drugs like marijuana, LSD, speed,
'ludes, etc. Those lectures were not very convincing when delivered by
adults who needed two cups of coffee in the morning to get started, a few
beers or manhattans in the evening to slow down, and cigarettes all day to
keep going. Same principle applies in any subject - if Coach emphasizes
fair play and following the rules over winning at any cost, the team is
much more likely to learn that lesson.

That's a copout--to ignore the advice of someone because of what they are
doing. I'd much rather take advice from someone who's been through what
they are preaching against than someone who's never been there. The phrase
"lead by example" has some truth to it. But the phrase "learn from the
mistakes of others" has much more weight, in my opinion. Here, you were
sitting right there listening to those lecturers preaching against the evils
as they partook in something you believed was evil and you still ignored the
value they taught--or at least devalued it, it looks like.

*Anyone* who thinks
kids are still that innocent these days, has not been on a schoolyard or
listening in on kids' conversations when they think no one is

around--and
I've even heard Kindergartners speaking of some pretty risque topics.

But that does *not* mean it doesn't matter what adults say and do in their
presence, or in public! The mere fact that you have to listen in when
they don't know you're there means the kids are learning that not all
behavior is appropriate in all contexts.

The good work of their parents, no doubt. Pffttt. With regard to breasts,
they can be a work of art, a tool of health, the target of the expression of
love, or represent some evil, twisted, sense of wrongdoing. I choose the
beauty of breasts--not the twisted logic. It's exactly like nude art. I
would never gasp at a child looking at a nude statue, or painting, or photo,
etc. I would ask them what they found beautiful.

Same principle as teaching them it's OK to pull their pants down in the
bathroom or doctor's office, but *not* OK to do in public! Even though
everyone knows what's under their clothes, what those body parts are
called, etc.

It's your expression of "those body parts" that, to someone like me, worries
me. Those body parts are to be spoken of, not hidden in some closet because
they are horrible. "Those" body parts can be beautiful or dangerous, and
both must be recognized. When someone is pulling their pants down at the
doctor--it is quite OK, at least one would think; when someone is pulling
their pants down in public--it is quite not OK. However, in the right
circumstances both could be exactly the opposite. If a doctor--and this has
been done--is about to rape someone, then it's evil. And, I can think of
nothing better I would love to do to someone like Saddam Hussein, than to
moon him with a thousand milliion asses; or even just one: mine.

Sad but true.

The reason it's like that is the failure of adults to act appropriately.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Yep. You're exactly right. However, it seems that your "act appropriately"
and mine are two entirely different things. And, I'm done--sigh, once
again--discussing my callsign. It's valid, it's beautiful, it's fun, it's
mine. Period.

Kim W5TIT

Kim W5TIT January 23rd 04 10:55 AM

"JJ" wrote in message
Leo wrote:

...and spelling challenged too. Make that 'second' sentence (what the
H$%% is a decond?? I dunno).......

Don't worry about it Leo, anyone who can't spell a word more than one
way simply has no imegintion.

ROFLMAO!! Hey, Leo? Another irony...!!!!

Kim W5TIT