Old July 14th 03, 11:38 PM
Dee D. Flint

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Dwight Stewart

writes:

Instead, both seem to be saying code is no longer a necessary
radio skill since so few radio operators outside ham radio use it today.

That's another argument entirely.

Of course hams DO use Morse code quite a lot. It's a mystery why what is

done
in other radio services should count more than what hams do, when it comes

figuring out the requirements for an amateur license.

This position relates to the basis and purpose of Amateur Radio (97.1a,
97.1c, and 97.1d).

Opinions vary.

Actually the fact that other services don't use it very much is a strong
argument to require hams to learn it. This is the place to preserve the
skill in case of need and to prevent this capability from becoming a lost
art. Plus of course the fact that quite a few hams do use it.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old July 15th 03, 03:42 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
y.com...

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Dwight Stewart

writes:

[...]

Well, why does it have to be a requirement that hams learn it? An analogy
to your thought above could be:

Doctors should have to be required to know how to use Shaman medicine in
case of need and to prevent this capability from becoming a lost art. (The
analogy works if one believes that alternative medicine works--and I do).
But, you see what I mean, right?

There are groups, societies if you will, that take up and preserve the CW
mode. FISTS comes to mind. There are great guys/gals, long-licensed
amateurs, who love to share the skill with others and who will teach it at
only the slightest provocation. There are EmCom "chiefs" who recognize the
capability of increased communication benefits when using CW. The list goes
on.

Get rid of CW testing. If the mode is all that it is said to be, it will
stand on its own. If it doesn't stand on its own, then adapt and adjust.

Kim W5TIT

Old July 15th 03, 09:34 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Kim W5TIT" wrote:

(snip)

Kim, I don't know what is going on with your newsgroup messages. Many of
your messages are listed as no longer on my server very shortly after you
post them (sometimes just one or two hours later). The messages are listed
in my message list of this newsgroup, but I get an error ("message no longer
on server") when I try to read them. For everyone else, I can read messages
they posted many days ago.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know what is happening in case you post a
reply to one of my messages and don't get a response. It's not that I'm
trying to ignore you - I just can't read or reply to your quickly
disappearing messages (I caught and replied to this one before it
disappeared)

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old July 15th 03, 10:11 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
"Kim W5TIT" wrote:

[...]

I had my witches coven put a curse on her.

Dan/W4NTI

Old July 16th 03, 04:16 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote:

"Dwight Stewart" wrote

Kim, I don't know what is going on with your newsgroup
messages. (snip)

I had my witches coven put a curse on her.

Something has sure happened. After I posted that message, I ran into three
or four other messages posted by Kim that resulted in the same error message
(all posted after the message I replied to). Very odd.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old July 17th 03, 01:44 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Dwight Stewart
writes:

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote:

"Dwight Stewart" wrote

Kim, I don't know what is going on with your newsgroup
messages. (snip)

I had my witches coven put a curse on her.

Something has sure happened. After I posted that message, I ran into three
or four other messages posted by Kim that resulted in the same error message
(all posted after the message I replied to). Very odd.

Dwight, you need to upgrade your computer's AntiCurse software. :-)

I got mine through the Hogwart's on-line store. University rates, too!

LHA
Old July 17th 03, 04:45 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Len Over 21" wrote:

Dwight Stewart writes:

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote:

"Dwight Stewart" wrote

Kim, I don't know what is going on with your
newsgroup messages. (snip)

I had my witches coven put a curse on her.

Something has sure happened. After I posted that
message, I ran into three or four other messages
posted by Kim that resulted in the same error
message (all posted after the message I replied
to). Very odd.

Dwight, you need to upgrade your computer's
AntiCurse software. :-)

I got mine through the Hogwart's on-line store.
University rates, too!

I've tried the swish and flick method several times. It didn't help with
Kim's messages (my computer's mouse is a little charred though). Perhaps I'm
pronouncing the words wrong.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old July 16th 03, 03:08 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Kim W5TIT" wrote:

[...]

Wow, thanks for letting me know, Dwight!!! Larry must be in
withdrawal...I'll switch over to the other one!

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to
Old July 16th 03, 03:09 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Kim W5TIT" wrote:

[...]

There, how's that?

Kim W5TIT

Old July 16th 03, 04:22 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Kim W5TIT" wrote:

"Dwight Stewart" wrote

Kim, I don't know what is going on with
your newsgroup messages. (snip)

There, how's that?

Well, I was able to read it. However, it has only been a little over an
hour since you posted it. I'm going to mark the message as unread and try it
again tomorrow to see if it is still on the server. I'll let you know what
happens.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/