Old July 9th 03, 09:27 PM
Brian

"Phil Kane" wrote in message t.net...
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 09:15:37 -0400, Mike Coslo wrote:

What of those who simply aren't smart enough to pass a test? are they
not human and have rights?

Nobody has a "right" to transmit radio signals. See the
International Radio Regulations and Section 301 of the US
Communications Act.

As for mode specific questions, they have no business asking me about
modes of operation that I am not interested in.

"They" -the 800 pound gorilla - have every business......

Let the good times roll, baby...... ggg

Everyone emits radiation. That's why IR surveillance devices are so useful.
Old July 9th 03, 09:34 PM
Brian

"Phil Kane" wrote in message t.net...
On 9 Jul 2003 03:19:48 GMT, Alun Palmer wrote:

State originally meant country, but then you formed a union.

Actually we formed a confederation.

And i thought it was a federation, governed as a republic.
Old July 9th 03, 10:10 PM
Bill Sohl

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
"Bill Sohl" wrote in message

"Penny Traytion" wrote in message

Bert Craig wrote:

Now that the ITU treaty requirement re. CW is gone, (For
all intents and
purposes.) does that mean NCI's job is done? If not,
what's next?

No Test International.

WRONG...

NCI still has the individual administration decisions to address...
and for the uninformed... NCI's charter does NOT address
written testing. If anyone is going to propose a "No Test
International" they'll not get my support nor (IMHO) the support
of any other NCI directors.

Assuming success, what then? A big party and then disbandment?

- Mike KB3EIA -

That'd be fine with me. I am also in ARRL and have held a
field assignment position (LGL) for several years. I have
repeatedly stated I did not see NCI trying to expand
beyond NCI's core objectives nor do anything else to
try and replicate ARRL functions.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK
Dir. NCI

Old July 10th 03, 01:24 AM
Mike Coslo

Bill Sohl wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Bert Craig wrote:

[...]

Political groups often have problems after achieving their objectives.
The people who join them tend to be avtivists and often will just shift
their Objectives. Even if you personally are ready to disband, are your
followers?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 10th 03, 01:26 AM
Mike Coslo

Bill Sohl wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Bill Sohl wrote:

"Hans K0HB" wrote in message
news:21581ca121ce6e1a0cb83d94148bf23d.128005@my gate.mailgate.org...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Actually as a point of interest, and maybe a little trolling, Just WHY
should there be testing for a ham license?

Because your transmissions travel on a "public thoroughfare", there is a
requirement to ensure that you have demonstrated the knowledge to
operate without negative impact on the other users of that resource,
sort of like you need a drivers license to operate a motor vehicle on
public highways.
73, de Hans, K0HB

Well said Hans.

Well said indeed, but what if enough people just reject that logic?
What if it is decided that the licenses just need to be bought? Say 200
bucks a shot? Or maybe a yearly sort of thing. Why have any other
qualifications for the license?

- Mike KB3EIA -

When the FCC takes that position then I'll fight
against it. For now, that's just empty speculation.
I have long sgo stated my opposition to any
elimination of written testing...and, have made
suggestions to the VCCs on ways to improve
written testing.

Understood, and I believe you, Bill. I just wonder what the troops will
do.......

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 10th 03, 02:51 AM
Bill Sohl

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Bill Sohl wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Bert Craig wrote:

[...]

But I'm not ready to disband. There are over 100
adminstrations that need to change their rules before
NCI's core purpose is met.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old July 10th 03, 04:22 AM
Bill Sohl

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , "Bill Sohl"
writes:

The problem with that is, if Carl Stevenson's brain were composed of
Semtex, he couldn't blow his nose!
73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry,
Sure sounds like sour grapes to me.

Did you know that Carl was in Geneva as a member of the
US delegation? Seems pretty respected in
ITU circles to me.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Bill:

I didn't know that, but it sounds like "blather" to me!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Call it whatever you like. Fact is Carl was on the delegation
and involved both during and before the WRC.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old July 10th 03, 06:17 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

I still think that if morse code is so important for the hams to have to
know how to do, then all others utlizing public service and business band
frequencies should have to know it as well such as law enforcement, fire,
ems, governmental entities, transportation frequencies etc. Especially the
emergency service people, as if there were ever a case where they may be
caught in a position where morse code may be useful, I don't know what would
be. Can you imagine if they used it for at least a secondary level of
communications if not a primary one?? People in scannerland would have to
learn morse code as well to figure out what the hell is being sent!

ALL-CODE INTL.!!!!!!!!

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Old July 10th 03, 09:56 AM
Bert Craig

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
Did you know that Carl was in Geneva as a member of the

Call it whatever you like. Fact is Carl was on the delegation
and involved both during and before the WRC.

Sounds like an awful lot of effort....to get something removed that required
a much smaller amount of effort.

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI