Old July 8th 03, 02:52 AM
Bert Craig

Default What of NCI?

Now that the ITU treaty requirement re. CW is gone, (For all intents and
purposes.) does that mean NCI's job is done? If not, what's next?

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old July 8th 03, 03:41 AM
Penny Traytion

Bert Craig wrote:
Now that the ITU treaty requirement re. CW is gone, (For
all intents and
purposes.) does that mean NCI's job is done? If not,
what's next?

No Test International.

http://web2news.com/?rec.radio.amateur.policy
Old July 8th 03, 06:46 AM
Arnie Macy

"Penny Traytion" wrote ...

No Test International.

Dang it, Penny. You took my answer. ;-)

Arnie -
KT4ST

Member of "Know Code" International

Old July 8th 03, 01:01 PM
Brian Kelly

"Bert Craig" wrote in message t...
Now that the ITU treaty requirement re. CW is gone, (For all intents and
purposes.) does that mean NCI's job is done? If not, what's next?

Welp, since the name of the operation is No Code Test *International*
their work is far from done. Seems like code tests will continue in a
number of countries, Russia, Germany, China, the Arab states, etc. NCI
will have to schmooze the likes of Putin (Col, ret. KGB), Jiang and
the lop-yer-head-off Arab sweethearts before they can claim mission
complete. Squiggy gets Yemen, Sohl gets Mongolia for openers. Oughta
be interesting.

w3rv
Old July 8th 03, 01:11 PM
Brian

"Arnie Macy" wrote in message ...
"Penny Traytion" wrote ...

No Test International.

Dang it, Penny. You took my answer. ;-)

Arnie -
KT4ST

Arnie, go ahead and let her take your answer. No sense in both of you being wrong.

Brian

Old July 8th 03, 02:15 PM
Mike Coslo

Brian wrote:
"Arnie Macy" wrote in message ...

"Penny Traytion" wrote ...

No Test International.

________________________________________________ __________

Dang it, Penny. You took my answer. ;-)

Arnie -
KT4ST

Arnie, go ahead and let her take your answer. No sense in both of you being wrong.

Actually as a point of interest, and maybe a little trolling, Just WHY
should there be testing for a ham license?

Isn't limiting access to the Airwaves to only those who pass some kind
of test Elitist?

What of those who simply aren't smart enough to pass a test? are they
not human and have rights?

As for RF safety, I would point to the successful efforts of Motorcycle
riders to abolish helmet rules. It should be the individual's
responsibility to decide if RF safety matters are important to him or her.

As for mode specific questions, they have no business asking me about
modes of operation that I am not interested in.

No Test International could be born now!

Thoughts?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 8th 03, 02:21 PM

Mike Coslo writes:

Actually as a point of interest, and maybe a little trolling,

Okay, I'll bite.

Just WHY should there be testing for a ham license? Isn't limiting
access to the Airwaves to only those who pass some kind of test
Elitist?

Worse, isn't it a violation of the first amendment? Isn't forbidding
me to operate a transmitter the same as forbidding me to operate a
printing press?

As for mode specific questions, they have no business asking me
about modes of operation that I am not interested in.

Right--they should only cover high-power broadcasts, comsat hijacking
and signal-jamming my rivals...

No Test International could be born now!

Anarchy forever!

--Len.

Old July 8th 03, 09:03 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Their next step should be joining up with a terrorist group. They could be
used as human bombs.

Dan/W4NTI

Old July 8th 03, 09:07 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message ...
Brian wrote:
"Arnie Macy" wrote in message

"Penny Traytion" wrote ...

No Test International.

________________________________________________ __________

Dang it, Penny. You took my answer. ;-)

Arnie -
KT4ST

Arnie, go ahead and let her take your answer. No sense in both of you

being wrong.

Actually as a point of interest, and maybe a little trolling, Just WHY
should there be testing for a ham license?

Isn't limiting access to the Airwaves to only those who pass some kind
of test Elitist?

NO

What of those who simply aren't smart enough to pass a test? are they
not human and have rights?

That is what CB is for.

As for RF safety, I would point to the successful efforts of Motorcycle
riders to abolish helmet rules. It should be the individual's
responsibility to decide if RF safety matters are important to him or her.

At 1500watts output don't you think the neighbors would have some input?

As for mode specific questions, they have no business asking me about
modes of operation that I am not interested in.

Agreed. That way you can only operate the basic modes. CW or SSB. And
take another test when you want to move ahead.

No Test International could be born now!

No, the terrorists need them.

Thoughts?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 8th 03, 10:13 PM
Brian

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
Brian wrote:
"Arnie Macy" wrote in message ...

"Penny Traytion" wrote ...

No Test International.

________________________________________________ __________

[...]

Mike, looks like trolling to me. Let it be known that the PCTA want
no written exams.

OK, to use a little PCTA logic, we have exams because the test always
gets thru when nothing else will. If that reason won't work, then we
do it to be in compliance with ITU requirements, an answer which has
worked for eons.

And mortorcyclists do take exams, both written and practical.

You're welcome to take the cover off of a 3k amplifier and put it over
your head while riding a motorcycle. Have fun, and be sure to wear it
to SD.

Brian