Old July 10th 03, 07:23 PM
William H. O'Hara, III

Default For a laugh

Why not remove 2x1 & 1x2 from none 20WPM
extras? You can get your HF privileges.
Everyone will be able to know that you
can hack CW with your XXXX callsign.

It will separate the men from the
anti-code whiners.

As a new tech that has yet to pass the
CW exam I have noticed that a lot of
1 land extra calls were taken by folks
that could not make 13 wpm GENERAL before
restructuring. Hehe

Let's stir up the hornets nest.

Bill

P.S. Why doesn't everyone take a break
from this? Let's go back to SSB versus
AM.
Old July 10th 03, 07:52 PM
Mike Coslo

William H. O'Hara, III wrote:
Why not remove 2x1 & 1x2 from none 20WPM
extras? You can get your HF privileges.
Everyone will be able to know that you
can hack CW with your XXXX callsign.

It will separate the men from the
anti-code whiners.

Naah, just those who took the tests before the rules were changed.

As a new tech that has yet to pass the
CW exam I have noticed that a lot of
1 land extra calls were taken by folks
that could not make 13 wpm GENERAL before
restructuring. Hehe

The only real advantage of those short calls is in contesting.

Let's stir up the hornets nest.

Bill

P.S. Why doesn't everyone take a break
from this? Let's go back to SSB versus
AM.

did we ever discuss that here?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old July 11th 03, 03:08 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , "William H.
O'Hara, III" writes:

P.S. Why doesn't everyone take a break
from this? Let's go back to SSB versus
AM.

Bill:

Fine with me. I think AM sounds great! I think we should use more
of it on all the bands, not just HF. How about including the AM mode
on VHF/UHF transceivers?

Some of the best fun and the most enjoyable QSO's I had on phone
were on 10-meter AM from the mobile HF station I had in my '78
Plymouth Horizon when I was stationed at Andrews AFB, MD. I used
to get consistent 59 signal reports with good audio using 50 watts on
my Icom IC-730 and a Hustler fold-over antenna with the 10-meter
(low power) resonator.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old July 11th 03, 02:20 PM
William H. O'Hara, III

Mike Coslo wrote in
:

extras? You can get your HF privileges.
Everyone will be able to know that you
can hack CW with your XXXX callsign.
It will separate the men from the

Naah, just those who took the tests before the rules
were changed.

No. Bring back the 20 WPM test for anybody that
wants an 'EXTRA' callsign.

As a new tech that has yet to pass the
CW exam I have noticed that a lot of
1 land extra calls were taken by folks
that could not make 13 wpm GENERAL before
restructuring. Hehe

The only real advantage of those short calls is in
contesting.

They all wanted to be extra's. In their own
notions an extra class callsign really conveyed
some sort of accomplishment. I bet that most
of them are NOT contesting. Ones that can do
20 WPM code and above with an extra call before
restructuring are more likely to be contestors
than 5 WPM extras of today IMHO.

Let's stir up the hornets nest.

Bill

P.S. Why doesn't everyone take a break
from this? Let's go back to SSB versus
AM.

did we ever discuss that here?

I think that we should! AM whines for
a return!
Old July 12th 03, 03:53 AM
Jim Hampton

Frankly, since anyone can get any call sign within their license class (or
below), I should get back WN2CJV (a novice call sign). Of course, anyone
can likely get a program to send/receive CW, but perhaps I should restudy
the American Morse (land-line Morse) as I have used it in the past. That
might eliminate the software programs. Then ... well, let's see what
happens. I will admit that I'm not up to what I used to do; I checked a web
site that offered CW up to 65 words per minute and I admit that I was in
trouble at around 55 or 60. Still, I might have fun with that old novice
call sign

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"