Old July 11th 03, 11:30 PM
David Robbins

Default existing plc qrn?? or something else?

i know there are some power line communications systems in use out there.
remote reading power meters, home computer networks over existing power
wires, even x10 stuff puts signals over the power line. i have been hearing
a noise that i just can't identify, i have narrowed the source down to an
area of 3 or 4 houses about 1/2 mile away from my station, but need to build
a directional antenna to get it down closer. the real question is what
might i be looking for????

recording at: http://www.k1ttt.net/audio/rfi4125AM.wav
this recording was made at about the loudest peak i found at 4125khz, AM
mode, 6khz wide filter. as you can hear it is a pulsing about 2 or 3 beats
per second. this noise repeats at irregular intervals from at least 3410 to
4365 roughly every 30-60khz, in between the peaks there is virtually no
trace of it. the pulsing is not in sync on all the peaks. to me this
sounds like a multiple carrier fdm power line modem, but what kind of device
would be available that operates in this frequency range?? does anyone know
of a source of a noise like this??

Old July 12th 03, 12:45 PM
David Robbins

i tried w1rfi but haven't gotten a response yet. the website is on an isdn
line and is normally pretty quick, the file is only 129k so should not have
been a problem, the best description i have heard for it is that it sounds
like an old steam engine chugging away.

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message
news
I'm not sure, but IIRC, some of the "remote phone jack" modems that
used to be IN the 80m ham band may have been moved above the
band. This could be one that is malfunctioning, but that is just a guess.

I would suggest you contact Ed Hare and see what
he thinks.

BTW, I tried to listen to the .wav file at the link you provided, but
even with my cable modem connection the file had not loaded after
about 2-3 minutes, so I closed the browser and gave up. (are you
hosting your website on a dial-up connection?)

73,
Carl - wk3c