Old August 2nd 03, 07:47 PM
Brian Kelly

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message ...

Since were on a trip down memory lane. This is how I received my FIRST HAM
SIGNAL.

I had a 6 transistor jap radio. I started 'tweeking' the coils and heard
this booming CQ CQ CQ this is W*xx.....He was down the street on the next
block.

There ya go! How many variations on that theme do ya wanna guess have
been played out?

I got my first dose by landing on 75M with one of the old
floor-mounted living room multiband wooden console radios owned by a
couple of old maid aunts. Was around the time of the broadcast of the
atom bomb tests on Bikini atoll.

Its been downhill eversince

As if!

Dan/W4NTI

w3rv
Old August 2nd 03, 09:21 PM
N2EY

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

Exactly. Except that the written tests, by virtue of their being only one
right answer that has already been chosen to be the right one, is much more
stable. Yes, sometimes the right answer isn't so right. BUT, by virtue of
agreeing to take the test you have studied for, you are agreeing that the
right answers are right.

By your observation above, the CW test is dependent on tone quality, morse
style, etc. It is not a very stable test environment.

Not at all!

The accomodations available in the code test are similar to accomodations
available in the written test. For example, if someone has limited vision, the
written might be printed in large plain easy-to-read text like 48 point Arial
rather than 10 point Times New Roman. Blind people might take the test in
Braille or aurally. People with limited mobility might use various devices to
fill out the answer sheet, or verbalize their answers rather than writing them.

Because the written tests are not timed, a written test can take anywhere from
a few minutes to hours.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old August 2nd 03, 09:51 PM
Spamhater

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
Yep, As I was aware of that. And I never expected them to change for me

at
the last minute. BUT, I do believe that with enough warning ahead of time
it should be considered more than fair for a VE team to make an

adjustment.
It should be no problem for a VEC to be able to send via code practice
oscillator!!!!!! Wouldn't that be a shame if the VEC's have become so

lazy
they can't even send a code test via a key because they are relying on the
code CD's and tapes.

Where the hell did you think I expected to walk into a test session in the
past, and at the last possible moment expect a major change?

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Arrangements for a different tone have to be made in advance so that

they
have time to obtain a CD or tape of the needed pitch from the VEC. You
can't just drop into a test session and expect them to have anything
different than the commonly used tone.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Not sure if a "code key/Oscillator" applies here, but if a person needs to
have special testing done, the rules I"ve seen written state that the
examinee is the one who must furnaish the equipment to the VEs in which to
use to accomidate that persons handicap. Perhaps the VEs didn't have one.
Not every one does.
JMS

Old August 2nd 03, 10:01 PM
Spamhater

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Ryan, KC8PMX wrote:
Yep, As I was aware of that. And I never expected them to change for me

at
the last minute. BUT, I do believe that with enough warning ahead of

time
it should be considered more than fair for a VE team to make an

adjustment.
It should be no problem for a VEC to be able to send via code practice
oscillator!!!!!! Wouldn't that be a shame if the VEC's have become so

lazy
they can't even send a code test via a key because they are relying on

the
code CD's and tapes.

It's certainly possible, but in this day and age, I could see
prospective amateur one complaining that the custom test was too easy or
too hard, or complaining that he or she wanted to take the test from a
CD instead of a real person, or some other such.

Almost all of us can handle the standard test methods.

The rest can be accomodated for.

Over the course of my testing, I took tests at 4 different places:
Williamsport PA, Butler PA, State College PA, and Lock Haven PA. ALL the
VE teams were extremely helpful and accomodating. Those who knew of my
hearing problem when I took Element 1 (twice, cuz I flunked the first
time) were just great. The first time I took the test, they were more
bothered by my failing it than I was, and the second time, I spoke to
one of the VE's beforehand, and he outlined the different methods I
might use, and explained the lengths they were capable of going to to
accomodate my needs.

I just want to point this out, because the tone of you letter sounds
like you think that VE's are some sort of ossified "my way or the
highway" people. They aren't.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I can say this.. I HAVE seen some VEs who were real *******s. Not wanting to
help anyone. But I've seen those too, who helped all as much as they could.
However, my former comment still stands, according to the rules I've read,
if an applicant is handicapped and requires special equipment to use in
testing, it is THEIR responsibility to provide it for the VEs to use. It is
NOT the VEs place to provide it. There is a comment though I'd like to make
about the My way or the Highway when it comes to testing. It is "supposed"
to be required of the VEs to afford the candidates the best possible
conditions in which to examine. IF someone in the waiting or even an
applicant his/herself starts making it miserable for the others OR even
before hand if the applicant fails to provide all required documentation,
the VEs have a right to evict them from the area. JMS

Old August 3rd 03, 05:03 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
y.com...

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message

By your observation above, the CW test is dependent on tone quality,

morse
style, etc. It is not a very stable test environment.

Kim W5TIT

Again your logic is faulty. The code test administration environment is
stable. The pitch is predefined. The speed is predefined. The tapes or
CDs are made using computer generated code, thus all the spacing is

correct
and stable. In other words, at the test, one is listening to perfect code
and then there is only one right answer. It is even more perfect than the
written tests since some of those answers are a bit if you've actually
studied and learned the theory rather than memorizing questions and

answers.

In both instances, code and written, the person is to pass the test and

then
improve their abilities in the real world.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I've sat for more than a few CW tests. And, I've known people who have the
same experience as I. It's been different every time. It depends upon the
VE team and how they like to administer the test. I don't know what logic
has to do with it; but whatever.

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to
Old August 3rd 03, 05:42 AM
Phil Kane

On 02 Aug 2003 20:21:11 GMT, N2EY wrote:

People with limited mobility might use various devices to
fill out the answer sheet, or verbalize their answers rather
than writing them.

Do you mean "oral"? "Verbal" includes both "written" and "oral".
The opposite of "verbal" is "graphic".

We get that trick question in the first hour, first day of Law
School Contracts I regarding what's not worth the paper it's not
written on (which is not true - except in specific instances where
the law requires that a contract be in writing, an oral contract can
be as enforceable as a written contract).

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old August 3rd 03, 02:15 PM
N2EY

In article , "Phil Kane"
writes:

On 02 Aug 2003 20:21:11 GMT, N2EY wrote:

People with limited mobility might use various devices to
fill out the answer sheet, or verbalize their answers rather
than writing them.

Do you mean "oral"?

DOH!!!!

"Verbal" includes both "written" and "oral".
The opposite of "verbal" is "graphic".

We get that trick question in the first hour, first day of Law
School Contracts I regarding what's not worth the paper it's not
written on (which is not true - except in specific instances where
the law requires that a contract be in writing, an oral contract can
be as enforceable as a written contract).

HAW! My bad!

Perfect example of why legal stuff is written the way it is, rather than in
'plain English regular people can understand'. Of course the fact that 'regular
people' can understand the same 'plain English' sentence several different
conflicting ways is conveniently forgotten.

Point is, there are plenty of accomodations possible for both the written and
code tests.

--

Phil has probably seen this many times, but for the rest of us:

From the book "Disorder in the Court":

Last one is the corker

73 de Jim, N2EY
Q: What is your date of birth?
A: July fifteenth.
Q: What year?
A: Every year
_______________________________________
Q: What gear were you in at moment of the impact?
A: Gucci sweats and Reeboks.
Q: This myasthenia gravis, does it affect your memory at all?
A: Yes.
Q: And in what ways does it affect your memory?
A: I forget.
Q: You forget. Can you give us an example of something you've forgotten?
Q: How old is your son, the one living with you.
A: Thirty-eight or thirty-five, I can't remember which.
Q: How long has he lived with you?
A: Forty-five years.
Q: What was the first thing your husband said to you when he woke up that
morning?
A: He said, "Where am I, Cathy?"
Q: And why did that upset you?
A: My name is Susan.
Q: And where was the location of the accident?
A: Approximately milepost 499.
Q: And where is milepost 499?
A: Probably between milepost 498 and 500.
Q: Sir, what is your IQ?
A: Well, I can see pretty well, I think.
Q: Did you blow your horn or anything?
A: After the accident?
Q: Before the accident.
A: Sure, I played for 10 years. I even went to school for it.
Q: Trooper, when you -stopped the defendant, were your red and blue lights
flashing?
A: Yes.
Q: Did the defendant say anything when she got out of her car?
A: Yes, sir.
Q: What did she say?
A: "What disco am I at?"
Q: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep, he doesn't
know about it until the next morning?
Q: The youngest son, the 20-year old, how old is he?
Q: Were you present when your picture was taken?
Q: So the date of conception of (the baby) was August 8th?
A: Yes.
Q: And what were you doing at that time?
Q: She had three children, right?
A: Yes.
Q: How many were boys?
A: None.
Q: Were there any girls?
Q: You say the stairs went down to the basement?
A: Yes.
Q: And these stairs, did they go up also?
Q: How was your first marriage terminated?
A: By death.
Q: And by whose death was it terminated?
Q: Can you describe the individual?
A: He was about medium height and had a beard.
Q: Was this a male or a female?
Q: Is your appearance here this morning pursuant to a deposition notice that I
sent to your attorney?
A: No, this is how I dress when I go to work.
Q: Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people?
A: All my autopsies are performed on dead people.
Q: All your responses must be oral, OK?
What school did you go to?
A: Oral.

Old August 3rd 03, 04:06 PM
Phil Kane

On 03 Aug 2003 13:15:58 GMT, N2EY wrote:

Phil has probably seen this many times, but for the rest of us:

From the book "Disorder in the Court":

Last one is the corker

Love it...... ggg

--