Old August 6th 03, 04:27 PM
Dwight Stewart

"N2EY" wrote:

But it only takes a few bad apples to make all
of us look bad.

And the FCC should go after those bad apples, whatever their license
class. Ham operators should also informally ostracize the bad apples by not
talking to them or inviting them to participate in other activities. Like
the troublemakers in these newsgroups, these people are seeking an audience.
Deprive them of that and they often change their ways fairly quickly.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old August 6th 03, 11:21 PM
N2EY

In article , Dwight Stewart
writes:

"N2EY" wrote:

But it only takes a few bad apples to make all
of us look bad.

And the FCC should go after those bad apples, whatever their license
class.

I agree 100%. But FCC's are very limited, thanks to the mandate to "get the
government off your back" from 20+ years ago. And the general unpopularity of
things like taxes.

Ham operators should also informally ostracize the bad apples by not
talking to them or inviting them to participate in other activities.

I agree 100%. And many of us do.

But there are those who don't accept our "old fashioned values" and traditions.
Like not cussing or jamming on the air. Did ostracizing clean up 3950, 14313 or
W6NUT?

Like
the troublemakers in these newsgroups, these people are seeking an audience.
Deprive them of that and they often change their ways fairly quickly.

Sometimes. OTOH they sometimes cluster together and reinforce each other when
that is done. We had an example of that a few years ago on a local repeater.
Solution was to shut down the repeater when the bad apples showed up, which
deprived everyone of its use.

Total dependence on enforcement and peer group rejection is not adequate if
basic "social" values are not inculcated into people's thinking.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 6th 03, 11:37 PM
Phil Kane

On 06 Aug 2003 22:21:48 GMT, N2EY wrote:

Sometimes. OTOH they sometimes cluster together and reinforce each
other when that is done. We had an example of that a few years ago on
a local repeater. Solution was to shut down the repeater when the bad
apples showed up, which deprived everyone of its use.

We ran into this in the 70s and 80s in San Francisco. The problem
there was that the goal of the "bad apples" was to shut the repeater
down.

After we hauled one of the ringleaders into Federal court on the
complaint of the N. Cal. DX Club (it was pure coincidence that the
judge was a classmate of the chief complainant) the problem abated
somewhat and the yoyos gathered on one particular machine which
gets shut down from time to time. And this was nothing compared to
the NUT machine.

Total dependence on enforcement and peer group rejection is not adequate if
basic "social" values are not inculcated into people's thinking.

For sure.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old August 7th 03, 01:26 AM
Len Over 21

In article , "Phil Kane"
writes:

Total dependence on enforcement and peer group rejection is not adequate if
basic "social" values are not inculcated into people's thinking.

For sure.

I thought the brainwashing has been quite well done by you-know-who
membership organization? :-)

LHA
Old August 7th 03, 12:15 AM
WA8ULX

And the FCC should go after those bad apples, whatever their license
class.

Dream on, cant wait till the CBplussers start filling up HF, and you all start
crying to the FCC. I will be setting here laughing my ASS off

money!!! [email protected] Antenna 0 January 3rd 05 09:49 PM
money!!! [email protected] Antenna 0 January 3rd 05 06:07 PM
stuff for all hams [email protected] General 0 December 19th 03 07:31 PM
BATLABS possible stolen motorola radio post private General 0 December 13th 03 03:46 AM
Question for the No coders Elmer E Ing Policy 168 August 21st 03 03:58 AM