Old August 18th 03, 10:37 PM
Derek

Default For those that are against the morse removal

What makes you all better operators it HAS been removed, so if you do not
like it why don't you take up knitting or something. or stop all the
bickering If the truth is known a lot of us have come up from the CB ranks
over the years

Old August 19th 03, 01:16 AM
Dan/W4NTI

--

I know a lot of ex CBers, now HAMS that are excellent CW operators. In fact
WORLD CLASS CW Operators. So your logic is flawed.

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 19th 03, 06:14 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , "Derek"
writes:

What makes you all better operators it HAS been removed, so if you do not
like it why don't you take up knitting or something. or stop all the
bickering If the truth is known a lot of us have come up from the CB ranks
over the years

Gee, I guess "Derek" has a point! I was a CB'er for a whole six months --
and that was seven years before I became a ham! However, "Derek,"
I'm not going away! You're going to have to deal with me and those like
me from now on! So don't get any ideas about being "equal" to your
20 WPM code tested, Extra-class SUPERIORS!!!

73 de Larry, K3LT
This is way too easy...

Old August 19th 03, 05:45 PM
Derek

Superiors My arse, Morse code does not make you a better opperator, I did
learn it back in 1986 up to 12 words a min but due to family probs could not
take the test.
So why not give the newcomers a helping hand instead of slagging them off
all the time, Just REMEMBER you was new to the hobby ONCE

Old August 20th 03, 01:39 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

"Derek" wrote in message ...
What makes you all better operators it HAS been removed, so if you do not
like it why don't you take up knitting or something. or stop all the
bickering If the truth is known a lot of us have come up from the CB ranks
over the years

Uhhhhhh...Derek, Old Man...it has NOT been "removed".

The text of S25.5 was changed so as to allow specific
administrations to determine wether or not to require code testing.

As of today it is still the law of the land in the United States,
and shall continue to be so until the FCC acts on the pending
petitions to remove it. I have no doubt it will be removed, but the
rulemaking process must and will be followed.

And rather than "take up knitting", may I recommend a remedial
English Composition course for you?

Steve, K4YZ

Old August 30th 03, 05:24 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , Dwight Stewart
writes:

It's no myth, Dwight. Our culture has been
stagnated by 50 years of liberal propaganda in
the high schools and universities, the constant
whining of the liberal media, and the "mainstreaming"
of any kind of perversion known to man in the name
of "enlightenment." Sorry, but I have to call it
like I see it. It's a dumbed-down culture, pure
and simple.

Larry, it's spelled "dumb-downed" or "dumb downed."

Dwight:

In your haste to correct me, you got it wrong both times. It is, in fact,
"dumbed-down."

And, while I agree
with some of your points about the education system, I'm not willing to make
blanket statements about an entire culture.

That's OK, at least one of us is willing to do so.

Most schools and universities today are either state owned or state
supported. Therefore, to find an answer to the problems with schools, we
only have to look as far as our own state representatives. And, since they
like the federal education assistance available to them, those
representatives are not going to change unless we vote them out and are
willing to fund schools locally. I see no effort in either of those
directions.

Sad, but true.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old September 1st 03, 04:39 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Hell, I work for a private university, and it is one of the "bastions" of
republican thought; "do as I say, not do as I do." It promotes the
lifestyle of the little rich brats that have been raised with the thinking
of "it's not what you know, but who you know." Forget achieving based on
merits or achievements.

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Old August 31st 03, 02:19 PM
N2EY

In article , Dwight Stewart
writes:

Remember the Village People, Kiss, Disco, the
song Muskrat Love, houses filled with incense, chopper motorcycles, the song
My Ding-a-Ling, Elton John's sunglasses, and so on.

Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs comes to mind....

Actually, I don't think that people ae dumbed down
compared to whatever mythical time that they were
"smart".

There are many different kinds of intelligence. And education. For me, the
fundamental questions is something like: Is the
person/activity/education/institution productive or destructive? (IOW, does it
help people or hurt them?)

I agree. Every generation has had it's moments - both good and bad.

And the term "generation" is deceiving. At the same time the above sillinesses
were commonplace, others of the same "generation" were doing great things.

BUT! the individual tests can be "smartened" or
"dumbed". All that is up to us. We decide.

To a certain extent. Nobody has yet come up with a way to convince FCC to go
back to doing the testing themselves. In fact, all suggestions to improve the
writtens were rejected by FCC back in 1999.

We can submit more and more questions to FCC for the question pools, but FCC
retains the right to dump those it doesn't like.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old August 31st 03, 05:04 PM
Kim W5TIT

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Dwight Stewart
writes:

Remember the Village People, Kiss, Disco, the
song Muskrat Love, houses filled with incense, chopper motorcycles, the

song
My Ding-a-Ling, Elton John's sunglasses, and so on.

Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs comes to mind....

Actually, I don't think that people ae dumbed down
compared to whatever mythical time that they were
"smart".

One of my favorite songs when I was a teen-ager is Pleasant Valley Sunday:

The local rock group down the street
Is trying hard to learn their song
Seranade the weekend squire, who just came out to mow his lawn

Another Pleasant Valley Sunday
Charcoal burning everywhere
Rows of houses that are all the same
And no one seems to care

See Mrs. Gray she's proud today because her roses are in bloom
Mr. Green he's so serene, He's got a t.v. in every room

Another Pleasant Valley Sunday
Here in status symbol land
Mothers complain about how hard life is
And the kids just don't understand

Creature comfort goals
They only numb my soul and make it hard for me to see
My thoughts all seem to stray, to places far away
I need a change of scenery

Ta Ta Ta...

Another Pleasant Valley Sunday
Charcoal burning everywhere
Another Pleasant Valley Sunday
Here in status symbol land

Another Pleasant Valley Sunday

That song was a completely anti-social, anti-success song, according to my
parents, grandparents, etc. Yet, quite prophetic when looking back now.

Kim W5TIT

Old August 31st 03, 07:19 PM
N2EY

In article , "Kim"

Subject: For those that are against the morse removal
From: "Kim"
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:04:21 -0500

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Dwight Stewart
writes:

Remember the Village People, Kiss, Disco, the
song Muskrat Love, houses filled with incense, chopper motorcycles, the
song
My Ding-a-Ling, Elton John's sunglasses, and so on.

Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs comes to mind....

Actually, I don't think that people ae dumbed down
compared to whatever mythical time that they were
"smart".

One of my favorite songs when I was a teen-ager is Pleasant Valley Sunday:

Pseudo-performed by the Monkees

[...]

Good heavens, it was from a "manufactured" music group that was about a
saccharine as could be imagined at the time.

The song is really an anti-conformity ditty, loosely derived from Malvina
Reynolds' "Little Boxes" and others of that ilk.

Yet, quite prophetic when looking back now.

How?

--

The Monkees' did give us at least one legitimate decent song, although not
directly. "I'm A Believer" was a throwaway of 30+ years ago until Smash Mouth

73 de Jim, N2EY