Old August 20th 03, 01:15 AM
charlesb

Default Code / No Code ==

Hams ought to know better. After all, we are used to being ambassadors for
the hobby while on the air... Strictly speaking, this would lead one to
expect hams to be one of the very best-behaved groups on usenet as well. The
basic, guiding principal is the same: Our behavior when on the air (or on
the Internet) reflects directly upon the hobby.

These days it is easy to come up with a specialized mailing list, and that's
where this newsgroup's type of discussion belongs, in a semi-private venue.
Usenet is too public for airing out our dirty underwear. This repetitious
code / no code stuff should be moved out of the public eye. The discussion
has migrated before - and should do so again, for the same reason. - To cut
down on the noise level, and put a better face on the hobby at a critical
time.

The fact that you can point out bad behavior done in the past does nothing
to justify further bad behavior today or tomorrow. Instead, it points out
the need to do better, to set our sights on where we really want to be.

Charles, N5PVL

Old August 20th 03, 01:54 AM
lk

That is great Charles, you are using your free speech right to tell others
that they should not debate public issues in public.

I predict that 47 CFR 97.503(a) will last long then this thread.

Please, this newsgroup is reserved for the endless code/nocode debate.
The censorship debate is on another newsgroup.

:-(((( Larry

gy.com...

Old August 20th 03, 03:54 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article om, "charlesb"
writes:

The fact that you can point out bad behavior done in the past does nothing
to justify further bad behavior today or tomorrow. Instead, it points out
the need to do better, to set our sights on where we really want to be.

Charles, N5PVL

Charles:

We're here, we're in your face, and we're staying. If you don't like us,
why don't you complain to the ARRL and/or the FCC? I'm sure they'll
be glad to hear from you.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old August 26th 03, 01:01 PM
charlesb

"Vshah101" wrote in message
From Charles, N5PVL
Usenet is too public for airing out our dirty underwear. This

repetitious
code / no code stuff should be moved out of the public eye.

I doubt that many non radio amateurs are aware of anything in "ham" radio,

much
less the code/no-code discussions.

Yes, and that is precisely why our few windows of visibility here on the
Internet are so very important. Very few non-hams listen to us on the air,
but millions can potentially see what we do on the Internet.

How ham behave off the air, in public and online largely determine how we
are viewed by the general public. Eventually, our public behavior and
reputation has its affect on what happens in congress and at the FCC.

Discussions like what are seen in this newsgroup should not really be
occuring in a newsgroup at all. - They should be moved on to a mailing list.
That would in no way limit the discussion or the enjoyment of its
participants, but would take it out of the public eye.

There is no advantage to airing our dirty linen this way, particularly when
it is not necessary. This discussion was moved once before, and should be
moved again for the same reason. It is ugly and obnoxious, reflecting poorly
upon the hobby.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Old August 27th 03, 02:53 AM
DickCarroll

"charlesb" wrote in m

be going so far out of your way to
display ham radio's ass in public.

Ham radio has an ASS?? We knew about that W5 showing off her TIT but
so far no ASS has shown up here... You might recheck that one Chuck.

Old August 27th 03, 02:16 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

Actually there is *at least* one ASS suffix ... I don't recall the prefix,
but
I've checked it in QRZ ... I can't imagine anyone doing that as a vanity
call, however, and why one would stay with it if it came as a sequential
assignment is beyond me :-)

Carl - wk3c

om...

Old August 27th 03, 04:26 PM
Radioman

I've checked it in QRZ ... I can't imagine anyone doing that as a vanity
call, however, and why one would stay with it if it came as a sequential
assignment is beyond me :-)

It's easy to remember?????? No one forgets an ass
Old August 27th 03, 06:51 PM
Hans Kohb

"charlesb" wrote in message

The fact that you can point out bad behavior done in the past does nothing
to justify further bad behavior today or tomorrow. Instead, it points out
the need to do better, to set our sights on where we really want to be.

Charles and I have found many reasons to disagree in the past, but on
this matter we are 100% in agreement.

Here on rrap the pro-coders, no-coders, slow-coders, and limp coders
rail on and on about a subject long since put to bed by the regulators,
and the whole meaningless fight takes on a surreal similarity to the
fights between sailboaters and motorboaters, arguing which is more
technically advanced, which can get through when conditions are bad,
which is modern vs. invented in the olden days, etc., etc., etc.

Meanwhile, on the shore a group of commercial developers is plotting to
buy the lake, drain it, and build a strip mall.

Rather than band together to save our hobby, we seem hell-bent on
finding inconsequential and OTBE things to fight about, splintering and
diluting whatever influence we have on regulators and the general
public.

73, de Hans, K0HB
--
Without spectrum, there is no amateur radio.

Old August 28th 03, 07:05 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Although, If you check, I do believe there are some other areas and prefixes
that do have that suffix........ There are some still available, believe it
or not. If they are so "all-fired" offensive, why is the FCC still allowing
them??

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)