Old January 10th 05, 07:24 PM
Richard L. Tannehill

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

But, to answer your paragraph, why would anyone take a group of kids to
an amateur club meeting? It's a completely different environment than
they would be comfortable in. And there is usually business to take care
of at a meeting that would be mind numbing for kids to listen to, like
finances, membership issues, etc. If you really wanted to get them
interested, you would get a few amateurs to meet with the kids on the
kids turf, like a classroom, the local YMCA, places like that. The kids
would be comfortable, only hams who ar interested in public outreach
would be involved, and a program could be put together that would keep
the kids involved and interactive.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I think that getting kids involved with local ham clubs is an excellent
idea.
It will socialize them with the older, more experienced hams that can
"elmer" them, show them that there is order and organization, expose
them to programs and activities, etc.

The KEY is finding the RIGHT ham club that will treat the kids the way
they be deserve to be treated as the future of amateur radio, not a club
that will shun and ridicule them as Cindy has described.

Carl - wk3c

Indeed that is the case Carl....I suggest she organize an
Explorer Post there, built around hi-tech electronics and
ham radio. We've had one for nearly 30 years here in the
Phoenix area; Explorer Post 599. We've sent hundreds of
kids on to careers in engineering, computers, and related
technical fields. Exploring is open to both males and
females, ages 14-20, as both youth members and adult
advisors. You can make of it what you want, without all the
"wrong" kind of old white males intimidating your kids.

Rick T.
W7RT
Committee Chairman,
Explorer Post 599
Old January 10th 05, 07:30 PM
Mike Coslo

Richard L. Tannehill wrote:
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

Holy smoke! did a server burp somewhere? This message, at least Carl's
and my own post, are way old!

- Mike KB3EIA -

trying to get back on packet using my old equipment larry Digital 1 January 15th 05 07:47 AM
Need help: Packet with Yaesu VX-5R HT and no-serial, USB-only notebook PC [email protected] Digital 4 December 22nd 04 06:07 PM
Need help: Packet with Yaesu VX-5R HT and no-serial, USB-only notebook PC [email protected] Digital 0 December 22nd 04 12:46 AM
Packet Newbie Greg Courville Digital 2 September 19th 03 06:42 AM
Packet Newbie Greg Courville Digital 0 September 19th 03 05:58 AM