Old August 22nd 03, 03:54 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

Default Packet Ops

Sounds like totally illegal activity to me ... if I were you, I
would not expect help here and would be prepared to duck
for cover as the flames erupt ...

Carl - wk3c

"Cindy W" wrote in message
There is worldwide packet radio activity on
27540 kHz. Which qsy to 6890 at night. I know
of some people in the Tampa area who operate on
this frequency and have qso'd other packet stations
in the U.S. as well as worldwide DX. Alfa-Delta
domestic call signs & Rapert International calls are
being used on the frequency. Does anybody know
the policy and protocol for hobby packet ops?

tnx,
Cindy W
Worldwide #3815 friendly op endorsement

Old August 22nd 03, 05:07 PM
Radioman

youre troll meter is out of whack, must have been golden screwdrivered

troll meter is pegged on this one!

Old August 22nd 03, 06:25 PM
Mike Coslo

Ham Dat Am wrote:
Cindy -- you have to understand you asked a question about illegal CB
operation and Hams are very much against ANY illegal operations on any band.
Kinda like asking an atheist question in a Catholic Church.

Go to rec.radio.cb --- you will get sympathy there and also probably bad
mouthed about illegal operations. But perhaps you didn't know it was
illegal -- now you do.

Read FCC rules at URL:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/cb/

As far as your visit to the club meeting -- here in Southern California we
have a youth group of young Hams under the age of 18, about 20 of them. We
have donated lots of equipment to their schools, given them free books, make
a point to welcome them to the repeaters and club meetings. All ethnic
groups and genders are represented. They had a table and setup at Field Day
just for the youth group at the GOTA station. They meet each Thurs eve for a
net on one of our repeaters. Some are involved in Emergency Communications.
We treat all Hams the same, young, old, green or blue. Maybe you live in an
area where the converse is true.

So your comments are like --- this cat is green -- so all cats are
reen --- too generalized.

And your comment about "Old White men" is racist and stupid, as you too
will be old someday. Sooner than you think.

Oh, I don't think Cindy will ever be an old white man! 8^)

Ask yourself a question "When did I start to hate Old Folks ??"
The ones that Tom Brokaw termed "The Greatest Generation".
The ones who made this country the great nation it is.

Old white guys are a legitimate target - and I hope to someday be an old
white guy.

Old August 22nd 03, 06:35 PM
Ham Dat Am

Bravo well sed! Ditto
Maybe like taking the kids to a Lions or Rotory meeting.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

But, to answer your paragraph, why would anyone take a group of kids to
an amateur club meeting? It's a completely different environment than
they would be comfortable in. And there is usually business to take care
of at a meeting that would be mind numbing for kids to listen to, like
finances, membership issues, etc. If you really wanted to get them
interested, you would get a few amateurs to meet with the kids on the
kids turf, like a classroom, the local YMCA, places like that. The kids
would be comfortable, only hams who ar interested in public outreach
would be involved, and a program could be put together that would keep
the kids involved and interactive.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 22nd 03, 06:54 PM
Ham Dat Am

FYI Cindy From FCC URL:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/per...ons/#equipment
You must use an FCC certificated CB transmitter at your CB station. You can
identify an FCC certificated transmitter by the certification label placed
on it by the manufacturer.

Cindy W

Old August 22nd 03, 06:59 PM
Cool Breeze

"Cindy W" wrote in message

Which is exacly why young kids are turned off by ham
radio. I once took a group of young black kids to a
local ham radio club meeting. All the old white men
ignored the kids or made rude remarks. These same
frustrated old white men then wonder why the hobby
is rapidly going the way of the horse & buggy.

Cindy W

Cindy, take that group of young Black kids and turn to CB Super Bowl
channel 6 get them 10 kw amplifiers and they will fit right in....

Old August 22nd 03, 07:55 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

But, to answer your paragraph, why would anyone take a group of kids to
an amateur club meeting? It's a completely different environment than
they would be comfortable in. And there is usually business to take care
of at a meeting that would be mind numbing for kids to listen to, like
finances, membership issues, etc. If you really wanted to get them
interested, you would get a few amateurs to meet with the kids on the
kids turf, like a classroom, the local YMCA, places like that. The kids
would be comfortable, only hams who ar interested in public outreach
would be involved, and a program could be put together that would keep
the kids involved and interactive.

- Mike KB3EIA -

I think that getting kids involved with local ham clubs is an excellent
idea.
It will socialize them with the older, more experienced hams that can
"elmer" them, show them that there is order and organization, expose
them to programs and activities, etc.

The KEY is finding the RIGHT ham club that will treat the kids the way
they be deserve to be treated as the future of amateur radio, not a club
that will shun and ridicule them as Cindy has described.

Carl - wk3c

Old August 22nd 03, 08:51 PM
Robert Casey

Tom wrote:

You are mistaken. CB radio is a legal hobby and so
is packet radio.

But not packet on CB.

Old August 22nd 03, 10:58 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Tom" wrote in message

You are mistaken. CB radio is a legal hobby and so
is packet radio.

Both are legal but combining packet with CB is NOT legal. Also US law
limits CB communications to LOCAL use only although propagation makes it
possible to communicate world wide. You are not allowed to make cross
country or out of country contacts on CB.

Actually given the fact that we are in the trough of the sunspot cycle, long
distance communications on the CB band will be rather rare for the next few
years.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old August 22nd 03, 11:02 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

Not only that but if the group is larger than two or three, it would be very
wise to arrange it with the club in advance so that they can set aside some
time from the business meeting to welcome the kids and have material
prepared to show them some of the marvels of ham radio. Just springing a
batch of kids on the club is not the best way to introduce the kids to the
club and vice versa.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

trying to get back on packet using my old equipment larry Digital 1 January 15th 05 07:47 AM
Need help: Packet with Yaesu VX-5R HT and no-serial, USB-only notebook PC [email protected] Digital 4 December 22nd 04 06:07 PM
Need help: Packet with Yaesu VX-5R HT and no-serial, USB-only notebook PC [email protected] Digital 0 December 22nd 04 12:46 AM
Packet Newbie Greg Courville Digital 2 September 19th 03 06:42 AM
Packet Newbie Greg Courville Digital 0 September 19th 03 05:58 AM