Old August 29th 03, 09:40 PM
Mike Coslo

Default Ahh, the joy of Echolink!

I'm sitting here listening to our local Echolink repeater.
Someone,apparently in Florida, is Kerchunking our local repeater.

Now THAT is the true power of the internet!

And yesterday at lunchtime, I heard some talk that you should never
hear on ham radio. Somone with a funky drunky accent going on about his
favorite parts of another guy's anatomy. Shudderrrr.

There just isn't enough control of all the repeaters linked into
Echolink for it to be a viable system.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 30th 03, 12:21 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
I'm sitting here listening to our local Echolink repeater.
Someone,apparently in Florida, is Kerchunking our local repeater.

Now THAT is the true power of the internet!

And yesterday at lunchtime, I heard some talk that you should never
hear on ham radio. Somone with a funky drunky accent going on about his
favorite parts of another guy's anatomy. Shudderrrr.

There just isn't enough control of all the repeaters linked into
Echolink for it to be a viable system.

- Mike KB3EIA -

No surprise there Mike. No calls, no decency, no license. Access available
to anyone that can lie their way in. Yep....what a system.

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 30th 03, 12:23 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message

Hans K0HB wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote

I'm sitting here listening to our local Echolink repeater.
Someone,apparently in Florida, is Kerchunking our local repeater.

Now THAT is the true power of the internet!

And yesterday at lunchtime, I heard some talk that you should never
hear on ham radio. Somone with a funky drunky accent going on about

his
favorite parts of another guy's anatomy. Shudderrrr.

There just isn't enough control of all the repeaters linked into
Echolink for it to be a viable system.

Echolink isn't too blame for the incidents you describe.

Control operators are responsible to shut down their machines or
amptutate the offending user when such violatons occur.

Don't blame technology for the failings of those who implement it.

Both of the problems you describe are independent of the fact that
Echolink happens to be involved.

We used to hear the very same apologistic response to the ills of

CB/Freeband.....today
nobody even bothers to apologize.

Ham radio, we hardly knew ye...

Exactly !!

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 30th 03, 12:24 AM
Radioman

No surprise there Mike. No calls, no decency, no license. Access available
to anyone that can lie their way in. Yep....what a system.

I will only do IRLP. At least there's a radio at each end.

It's still fake skip.
Old August 30th 03, 12:43 AM
Hans K0HB

"Dick Carroll;" wrote

We used to hear the very same apologistic response to the ills of CB/Freeband.....today
nobody even bothers to apologize.

Whatever the phuck "apologistic" means..... you blame Echolink
technology for the blatant rules violations of some jerkoff who happens
to be using it????

If some jerkoff violates the rules on CW do you blame Morse code???

I used to wonder if you were as backward as you seem. I don't wonder
anymore.

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB

Old August 30th 03, 01:10 AM
shephed

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
I'm sitting here listening to our local Echolink repeater.
Someone,apparently in Florida, is Kerchunking our local repeater.

Now THAT is the true power of the internet!

And yesterday at lunchtime, I heard some talk that you should never
hear on ham radio. Somone with a funky drunky accent going on about his
favorite parts of another guy's anatomy. Shudderrrr.

There just isn't enough control of all the repeaters linked into
Echolink for it to be a viable system.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Welcome to Ham Radio of the 21st century!

Old August 30th 03, 01:26 AM
Mike Coslo

Hans K0HB wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote

I'm sitting here listening to our local Echolink repeater.
Someone,apparently in Florida, is Kerchunking our local repeater.

Now THAT is the true power of the internet!

And yesterday at lunchtime, I heard some talk that you should never
hear on ham radio. Somone with a funky drunky accent going on about his
favorite parts of another guy's anatomy. Shudderrrr.

There just isn't enough control of all the repeaters linked into
Echolink for it to be a viable system.

Echolink isn't too blame for the incidents you describe.

Not blaming echolink, I'm blaming the people that inhabit it.

Control operators are responsible to shut down their machines or
amptutate the offending user when such violatons occur.

But she/he didn't.

Don't blame technology for the failings of those who implement it.

Both of the problems you describe are independent of the fact that
Echolink happens to be involved.

CB is not inherently bad either, but I don't care to go there. BTW,
this was much worse than anything I ever heard on CB. YMMV

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 30th 03, 01:34 AM
Mike Coslo

Hans K0HB wrote:
"Dick Carroll;" wrote

We used to hear the very same apologistic response to the ills of CB/Freeband.....today
nobody even bothers to apologize.

Whatever the phuck "apologistic" means..... you blame Echolink
technology for the blatant rules violations of some jerkoff who happens
to be using it????

Considering your language here, I'm starting to understand.

If some jerkoff violates the rules on CW do you blame Morse code???

I used to wonder if you were as backward as you seem. I don't wonder
anymore.

Hans, would you want your children or grandchildren to listen to that
filth on your radio? It doesn't have any place in the ARS, but it's what
I'm hearing.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 30th 03, 01:37 AM
Mike Coslo

shephed wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

I'm sitting here listening to our local Echolink repeater.
Someone,apparently in Florida, is Kerchunking our local repeater.

Now THAT is the true power of the internet!

And yesterday at lunchtime, I heard some talk that you should never
hear on ham radio. Somone with a funky drunky accent going on about his
favorite parts of another guy's anatomy. Shudderrrr.

There just isn't enough control of all the repeaters linked into
Echolink for it to be a viable system.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Welcome to Ham Radio of the 21st century!

As far as I can tell - and I don't know all that much abour Echolink,
every repeater operator along the line will be responsible for the
content going over their repeater. These folk better think about what
they are doing.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 30th 03, 01:49 AM
Hans K0HB

"Mike Coslo" wrote

Hans, would you want your children or grandchildren to listen to that
filth on your radio? It doesn't have any place in the ARS, but it's what
I'm hearing.

Of course foul language has no place in the ARS!!!! DUH!!!!!

So you blame EchoLink, FM, repeaters, or do you blame the creeps who
commit the offense?

Good luck on this one now!

73, de Hans, K0HB