Old September 22nd 03, 07:11 PM
Mike Coslo

Dick Carroll; wrote:

You do know about phase relationships don't you?

Isn't that like when there's like this girl an this like guy, and the
guy goes like "whoeeee!" and the girl goes like "what?" and the guy says
like "you know, it's like this phase thing", and the girl goes like
"whoeeee - I'm like into my relationship here!"

- Mike KB3EIA -

can you tell I have a bad cold?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 22nd 03, 11:30 PM
N2EY

In article , "Clint" rattlehead at
computron dot net writes:

The same applies to students of all ages. When an adult goes to college,

and wasn't it pointed out in an earlier post in this, or another, thread
that
electrical engineering students aren't required to learn morse code?

I knew it already when I got to EE school. In fact I had the Extra 2 years
prior to entering EE school.

Old September 22nd 03, 11:30 PM
N2EY

In article k.net, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote:

Well, I'm glad I finally got your attention directed
toward reality. If the Morse code isn't relevant to
any communications service outside the ARS, then
the fact that the commercial and military services
have stopped using it isn't relevant or responsive
to the issue of code testing withing the ARS.
Therefore, by your own admission, the NCTA's
prime argument is just so much worthless rhetoric.

But, as you well know, the code testing requirement was originally
established exactly because code was once relevant to the military,
government, and commercial services outside Amateur Radio.

That was one reason, 90+ years ago.

Since then, other reasons have evolved.

Since that has
now changed, it is clearly time to question the need for a unique testing
requirement for this one operating mode.

It's always appropriate to question *any* license test requirement.

Since most ham operators today
don't use code on a regular basis, there is also little need within Amateur
Radio to maintain a testing requirement for this one operating mode.

First off, since Morse code tests are only required for HF/MF licenses, perhaps
you might want to look at what ham operators do on HF/MF, not overall.

Also, consider how many of today's hams *regularly* build, repair or maintain
their own equipment. Applying the argument you are using against the code test
will gut most of the theory out of the written test, too.

All
that has led to the efforts now being made to eliminate the Morse Code test
requirement.

Or maybe some people just don't like to take tests!

The Morse/CW mode remains as a valuable, basic
communications tool within the ARS, and the code
testing requirement is current and essential to the
continued use of this mode. End of story. (snip)

But, as much as you'd like it to be, that is not the end of the story,
Larry. Because so few use it, the mode now plays only a relatively minor
role within the Amateur Radio Service.

"so few"? I think you underestimate the situation, Dwight.

Therefore, code testing is not
essential to the Amateur Radio Service.

That's a matter of opinion.

Further, without outside factors
(the needs of the other services) to consider, the FCC itself has no
significant interest today in maintaining the "continued use of this mode"
within the Amateur Radio Service. As far as the FCC is concerned, it is now
just one more operating mode among the many used within the Amateur Radio
Service.

Maybe - but again, that's your interpretation of what FCC thinks. And what FCC
thinks and does isn't necessarily what's in the best interest of the ARS.

There is no sufficient argument to support the continued existence
of a code testing requirement. As such, the code testing requirement should
be eliminated.

Well, I disagree on that, Dwight.

But ultimately it comes down to whose opinion carries the day with FCC.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old September 22nd 03, 11:31 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Dick Carroll; wrote:

Well, I really *don't* like Brussels sprouts!

I remember when I was a kid, the Brussels sprouts were one of the last
things to go in the local gardens in the fall, so us kids would pluck
them and use them for throwing at squirrels, the local girls, and other
places. In that conext, they wer okay.

And of course, every sprout chucked at a squirrel or a girl was one less
we had to eat!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Actually I like Brussel Sprouts.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 22nd 03, 11:41 PM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Dick Carroll; wrote:

Well, I really *don't* like Brussels sprouts!

I remember when I was a kid, the Brussels sprouts were one of the last
things to go in the local gardens in the fall, so us kids would pluck
them and use them for throwing at squirrels, the local girls, and other
places. In that conext, they wer okay.

And of course, every sprout chucked at a squirrel or a girl was one less
we had to eat!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Actually I like Brussel Sprouts.

I can eat one, then suddenly theyget incredibly strong tasting to me.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 22nd 03, 11:50 PM
N2EY

In article , "Kim"
writes:

"Arnie Macy" wrote in message
"Kim W5TIT" wrote ...

But, but, but!!!! Larry's obviously got or had large boobs, and has
obviously worn a bra. Right?! He *has* hasn't he? Surely, for if not he
would not be making value judgements on my callsign.

It took a while, but I have grown accustomed to your callsign, Kim. And

it
wasn't necessary for me to wear a bra to do it. ;-)

Arnie -
KT4ST

Uh, Arnie? If you wore a bra, the only thing you'd get from me would be,
"What ya packin' there, big fella?"

Am I the only one reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer and George's
father join forces to create a brassier for men? Kramer wanted to call it the
"bro" and Mr. Costanza wanted to call it the "man-sierre". Or vice versa.

Classic show. Good times.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old September 22nd 03, 11:50 PM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo

writes:

I LIKE broccoli.

Me too actually.

Make that three.

Let's make it NO Peas International.

Pretty Peas?

Peas are great!

Green beans, on the other hand.....

--

And if ya really want to get people fired up:

Calves' liver, anyone?

Like 'em all so far.

Okra maybe?

Reminds me of a line in a Chris Smither song:

"I got okra, enough to choke ya"

Anybody else know what a "merliton" is?

73 de Jim, N2EY.

Old September 23rd 03, 12:20 AM
Leo

An absence of character, I'd suggest.

73, Leo

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:10:01 -0400, "Arnie Macy"
wrote:

Dee,

I know I'm pointing out the obvious here, but why do you think it's
necessary for Len to *always* pepper his replies with personal insults. A
character flaw of some kind, maybe?

Arnie -
KT4ST

Old September 23rd 03, 12:23 AM
Arnie Macy

"Dwight Stewart" wrote ...

Well, that may be what you're discussing, but I'm discussing Morse Code
testing - a discussion which, by it's very nature, cannot be limited to just
Amateur Radio. However, if the discussion were limited to just Amateur
Radio, your arguments would have no more weight since most ham operators
today don't use code/cw on any routine or regular basis. There is little
reason to maintain testing for a mode that is seldom used by more than a
relatively small minority.

Where did you get your information, Dwight? According to the ARRL (the
primary ARS organization in the US) -- CW is the second most popular mode in
the ARS -- Just behind SSB. That on its face would mean that there are
still a whole bunch of folks out there still using it.

Arnie -
KT4ST

Old September 23rd 03, 01:02 AM
charlesb

Let's see... If I were to set up a bogus hotmail or AOL account, pick out a
callsign from the callbook and then set up to access EchoLink on my computer
and skip around the different systems, playing "Gangsta Rap" and golden
XXX-rated oldies by the "Fugs", and FBI recordings of rabbits being
slaughtered over distant EchoLink repeaters - just for fun - would I be
breaking any laws?

Remember that I would be accessing over the Internet, using a call I picked
from a list, maybe even an inactive one. No radio involved, at least none of
mine.

Who would be responsible for the transmissions on those distant repeaters?

Just what law or regulation would make it illegal to access EchoLink with a
bogus callsign? I don't think there is one.

Should I cross-post this question to the newsgroups frequented by CB'ers,
Freebanders, FRS folk, etc? If not - Why not?

Charles Brabham, N5PVL