Old September 18th 03, 01:35 AM
WA8ULX

If enough people say that conditions are too poor for SSB some people will
be daft enough to beleive it.

Whats the difference most of these New people actually believe they are Real
hams anyway
Old September 18th 03, 02:01 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Alun Palmer" wrote in message
Dave Heil wrote in
:

Alun Palmer wrote:

"Bill Sohl" wrote in
hlink.net:

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

EI is the 7th country to abolish code testing by my reckoning

Ireland: Beautiful country, lovely people, but the same dumbed-down
hams! Not to worry, I'm sure us Yanks won't be far behind!
73 de Larry, K3LT

Newsflash! - Singapore has abolished the code test. Now there are

eight.

Wow! That's quite a policy statement from a country with a little more
than 120 radio amateurs and it comes hot on the heels of the big move by
Ireland with its slightly more than 1,500 hams.

Dave K8MN

I just did a quick recount, and 9V is the 9th country, not the 8th. They
are Switzerland, the UK, Belgium, Germany, Austria, the Netherlands,
Norway, Ireland and Singapore.

The funny thing is the only no-coder I have yet heard on HF was PE1RMZ. I
know that this is a Dutch no-code call from the time I worked PE1DUP
through a UK repeater. It takes time to get on HF I suppose. I was
surprised that no-one appeared to have been ready in advance.

You can try to pretend that 9V and EI don't matter, but look at the bigger
picture. You know where this will all end, and a d*mn good thing it is
too. If it wasn't for the bl**dy code test I would have been licenced and
on HF at 14.

I was licensed at 14 for HF. Why couldn't you do it? You handicaped? Or
just lazy?

Yeah buddy I sure would wait around for decades, feeling sorry for myself,
and joining NCI......sheesh.

Old September 18th 03, 03:32 AM
Brian Kelly

writes:

[...]

How do you reconcile your "plight" with the fact that many youngters
under 14 have passed 20 wpm code tests?

w3rv
Old September 18th 03, 04:43 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

You can try to pretend that 9V and EI don't matter, but look at the bigger
picture. You know where this will all end, and a d*mn good thing it is
too. If it wasn't for the bl**dy code test I would have been licenced and
on HF at 14.

Alun:

Me too. However, by the time I was 28, I realized I was just being too
damn lazy, got off my duff, and learned the code! That was 22 years
ago. What's your excuse?

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old September 18th 03, 11:18 AM
N2EY

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

We're talking about two countries
with a little over 1,600 radio amateurs between them.

Maybe you know the answer to this one, Dave:

How many amateurs are there in the 9 countries that have dropped code testing?

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old September 18th 03, 01:07 PM
Ralph Aichinger

Alun Palmer wrote:
I just did a quick recount, and 9V is the 9th country, not the 8th. They
are Switzerland, the UK, Belgium, Germany, Austria, the Netherlands,

Austria not yet.

Unfortunately there are more important issues at the moment,
see: http://tinyurl.com/lmm3 and http://tinyurl.com/nkt0
HF would be worth nothing if this is passed as an EU
directive.

/ralph
Old September 18th 03, 07:32 PM
Alun Palmer

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in
hlink.net:

Palmer writes:

[...]

Because I had trouble learning the bl**dy code

You handicaped?

Only if you include difficulty learning CW

Or just lazy?

Yeah buddy I sure would wait around for decades, feeling sorry for
myself, and joining NCI......sheesh.

I eventually passed code in 1993, but if it weren't for the *@#%^&! code
test I could have had an HF licence in 1971.

Old September 18th 03, 08:50 PM
Dennis Ferguson

N2EY wrote:
In article , Dave Heil
writes:

We're talking about two countries
with a little over 1,600 radio amateurs between them.

Maybe you know the answer to this one, Dave:

How many amateurs are there in the 9 countries that have dropped code testing?

176,685 in the year 2000 according to

http://www.iaru.org/statsum00.html

The UK and Germany are the bulk of that number.

Dennis Ferguson

John Cahill Ei7V KCarroll General 0 October 4th 04 07:49 PM
End of CW in Ireland Clint Policy 13 October 8th 03 12:02 PM