Old September 22nd 03, 12:56 AM
Carl R. Stevenson

Default IARU Says "Remove Code"

IARU Says "Remove Code", (Excerpted from the ARRL Letter)

"The focus was on the future when the International Amateur Radio
Union Administrative Council met September 6-7 in Amsterdam,
the Netherlands. In the aftermath of WRC-03, the council urged
IARU member-societies to call to the attention of their administrations
"the desirability of adopting specific changes in their domestic
regulations for the amateur and amateur-satellite services, so that
they will be consistent with the revised Article 25 of the international
Radio Regulations."

In that vein, the IARU governing body called for the removal of Morse
code as an examination requirement to operate on HF.

The council reiterated its stance first taken in 2001 that Morse code
proficiency "as a qualifying criterion for an HF amateur license is no
longer relevant to the healthy future of amateur Radio."

"IARU policy is to support the removal of Morse code testing as a
requirement for an amateur license to operate on frequencies below
30 MHz," the IARU Administrative Council resolved.

*****
I particularly love that last paragraph .. they're finally moving from
the past into, at least, the present.

Carl - wk3c

Old September 22nd 03, 01:47 AM
Clint

I particularly love that last paragraph .. they're finally moving from
the past into, at least, the present.

Carl - wk3c

hmmm, yes, but the PCTA's won't see it as being noteworthy or
deserving of consideration. They'll dismiss it, say THAT body of
people is ignorant and just doesn't know what's right....

"You fools! Don't you know that by living in the past we are best
prepared to meet the challenges and demands of the future?!?!?!?!"

Clint
KB5ZHT

Old September 22nd 03, 02:37 AM
Robert

"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

[...]

You made the same error of interpretation that your buddy Bill Sohl
did. Nowhere within that
document does it say they want to remove all code testing.

Your persistence is either spinning this or mis-interpreting it
yourself is mind-boggling. To begin with, it's not even the IARU talking,
it's the ARRL; "(Excerpted from the ARRL Letter)"

Here's what IARU says _themselves_:

http://www.iaru.org/rel030912.html

"3. The Council revised an existing Resolution concerning the Morse code in
the light of the WRC-03 decision to leave to each administration the
question of whether or not to require a demonstration of Morse skill to
operate below 30 MHz. Under the revised Resolution, IARU policy is to
support the removal of Morse code testing requirements."

No weasel words there.

---

Old September 22nd 03, 02:57 AM
Hans Kohb

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote

*****
I particularly love that last paragraph .. they're finally moving from
the past into, at least, the present.

Carl - wk3c

Carl,

As you know, I do not support continuing the Morse exam. Other well
meaning people disagree with me and I respect their disagreement.

It is a puzzle to me why you continue to make a point of "rubbing
peoples nose in it". Perhaps "well meaning" doesn't apply in your case.

Hans

Old September 22nd 03, 04:03 AM
JJ

Dick Carroll; wrote in message ...

You made the same error of interpretation that your buddy Bill Sohl
did. Nowhere within that
document does it say they want to remove all code testing. If FCC should
allow a single category of
HF license to be issued and retain code testing for all others, that
would satisfy that blurb.

Sorry, that's the way it is.

Some also seem to miss the fact that nowhere does it say that the FCC *must*
eleminate code testing for any class of license. It is only that the IARU
"supports the removal of Morse code testing", it does not state it must be
removed.

Old September 22nd 03, 04:03 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , "Clint" rattlehead at
computron dot net writes:

"You fools! Don't you know that by living in the past we are best
prepared to meet the challenges and demands of the future?!?!?!?!"

Clint
KB5ZHT

Well, Clint, you said it, not me! I'm glad you're starting to see the light!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old September 22nd 03, 04:07 AM
Len Over 21

In article , "Dick Carroll;"
writes:

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:

[...]

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LHA

Old September 22nd 03, 04:07 AM
WA8ULX

It is a puzzle to me why you continue to make a point of "rubbing
peoples nose in it". Perhaps "well meaning" doesn't apply in your case.

Hans

Carl hates CW so much, because he figures his CW, not lack of motavation over
the years, had kept him out of HF.
Old September 22nd 03, 04:42 AM
Mike Coslo

Hans Kohb wrote:
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote

*****
I particularly love that last paragraph .. they're finally moving from
the past into, at least, the present.

Carl - wk3c

Carl,

As you know, I do not support continuing the Morse exam. Other well
meaning people disagree with me and I respect their disagreement.

It is a puzzle to me why you continue to make a point of "rubbing
peoples nose in it". Perhaps "well meaning" doesn't apply in your case.

At least I'm not the only person who thinks tthat he is doing that.
Carl apparently LIKES to rub our noses in it. Carl is perhaps the
poorest "winner" I've ever seen.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 22nd 03, 05:08 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Hans Kohb wrote:
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote

*****
I particularly love that last paragraph .. they're finally moving from
the past into, at least, the present.

Carl - wk3c

Carl,

As you know, I do not support continuing the Morse exam. Other well
meaning people disagree with me and I respect their disagreement.

It is a puzzle to me why you continue to make a point of "rubbing
peoples nose in it". Perhaps "well meaning" doesn't apply in your case.

At least I'm not the only person who thinks tthat he is doing that.
Carl apparently LIKES to rub our noses in it. Carl is perhaps the
poorest "winner" I've ever seen.

Well then, I'll just put YOU down as one of the sorriest LOSERS in
the code test issue!

Your ancestors wouldn't like to see you that way, would they?

LHA