Old September 26th 03, 04:54 AM
Phil Kane

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:15:45 GMT, Dan/W4NTI wrote:

Wouldn't it be great if the next political appointee actually had some idea
of RF communications technology ?

About 20 years ago, Dane Ericksen, N6AJY, who became a senior
engineer with one of the big broadcast engineering consultant firms
after working for me at the FCC for 10 years, and who is a long-term
officer with the Society of Broadcast Engineers, submitted a Petition
for Rulemaking requiring that one of the then-seven Commissioners
have a degree in engineering, parallel to the Rule requirement that
an attorney practicing before the Commission must be admitted to
legal practice in one of the States or the District of Columbia.

His petition was flatly turned down without even getting an RM
number.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old September 26th 03, 04:54 AM
Phil Kane

On 23 Sep 2003 03:06:42 -0700, Brian Kelly wrote:

Wouldn't it be great if the next political appointee actually had
some idea of RF communications technology ?

He doesn't need to...That is why he has a STAFF!!!

Yeah he has "staff" but they're as clueless as he is. His staffer
D'Wanna or whatever her name is, the political tootsie who runs the
FCC outfit which sits on ham radio got up at a seminar and expressed
amazement at how people on the ground can talk to people in airplanes
in the sky with radios.

D'wanna Terry is a Division Chief, two levels below the Commissioners.
The Bureau Chief - her boss - is also clueless. His job is to honcho
spectrum auctions. At one time one became a Division or Bureau Chief by
working in the next lower job and getting things right, but that was a
long time ago. The present crop are all "revolving door" appointments
who, in general, do not have any prior Commission experience other
than ability to do what the Eighth Floor wants them to do.

At one time, each Commissioner did have an engineering advisor who
was a senior engineer and knew what the technical problems and
issues were and so advised his boss. The last Commissioner who had
one was Jim Quello, one of the "good guy" Commissioners some 15 or
so years ago, a retired broadcast executive who was the author of
the phrase "If you think that you can buy my vote with a ham
sandwich, you got the wrong guy".

My kind of guy.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old September 26th 03, 04:47 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
et...
[...]

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Says it all right there eye boys and girls?

Thanks for you input Phil.

Now maybe some folks will have a clue as to why the FCC has no clue.

Dan/W4NTI

Old November 20th 03, 07:47 PM
TOM BLACKWELL

Michael Powell's administration has made about as much sense as the
decision on the 2000 Florida balloting.

I attended a presentation by Chairman Powell in January, where he was
talking about band changes and the need to "share spectrum." I think
there are some things he does not understand.

Plus - - I see the ARRL becoming less and less effective on issues
like this.

Powell was brought to us by those who voted for either Bush or Ralph
Nader. (A vote for Nader was effectively a vote for Bush - - a
trick and a backfire that was not an effective way for voters to
protest.)

Rob Kemp wrote:

http://drudgereport.com/flash3.htm?powell

FCC POWELL SETS STAGE FOR EXIT IN INTERVIEW: 'I HAVE A TIRED FAMILY,
TIRED CHILDREN AND A TIRED SPOUSE'
Sun Sep 21 2003 17:25:30 ET

--
Regards, TOM BLACKWELL, PO Box 25403, Dallas, Texas 75225
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/tom.blackwell/

Old November 20th 03, 09:33 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Don't try and spin the incompetence of appointed officials and blame Bush.
I understand your a braindead democrat and as such is unable to logically
look at a situation, without a nodd from queen Hillary that is. So I will
not dwell on that.

As for a 'official of the FCC'. They have been going downhill for over 20
years. None of them have a clue as to what the hell ham radio is, or is
supposed to be. Seeing how they support BPL is proof enough of their
incompetence. Maybe they should consider hiring a electronical enkineer to
help them out. Or get some free advice from a CB freebander. Anything is
better than what they have now....zero.

Dan/W4NTI

Old November 21st 03, 12:20 PM
TOM BLACKWELL

It seems the FCC Commissioners you say you are concerned about are appointed by
the President and confirmed by the Senate. If you don't believe me - - call
your friend Rush Limbaugh.