Old September 27th 03, 01:44 AM
Frank Dresser

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
.com...

Well interference caused by hams will be small potatoes compared to the
power that some of the commercial broadcasters are allowed to use. That
will compromise BPL over a much larger area than any ham station ever

could.
If BPL ever comes to my area, I'm within a few hundred yards of some of
these broadcasters so the BPL users will never even notice my signal since
they'll be constantly torn up by the commercial stuff.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I expect the BPLers would trap the broadcast frequencies. If the
interference from established broadcasters is still too high, they simply
won't offer service in that neighborhood.

But I don't think RF is the biggest problem for BPL. Overhead power lines
will only intercept a small percentage of the RF, and re-radiate at least
half of that. I think noise sources plugged directly into the power line
are going to cause far more problems.

Frank Dresser

Old September 27th 03, 01:51 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
[...]

Could very well be. If one of the neighbors has welding equipment, that can
really put a lot of noise onto an electrical line. It takes a lot of
filtering to keep that out of your radio and no doubt would do a good job of
interfering with the Internet signal.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 27th 03, 06:04 AM
shephed

Capt. Carl would you please make BPL go away like you did the real Hams.

Thank you.

10-73's!

Old October 14th 03, 12:10 AM
opcom

Don't know about BPL, but VDSL goes from 138KHz to 12MHz and has 4096 tones. Not as much potential for a problem, as it's all twisted pair rather than power lines.

Frank Dresser wrote:

"Walter Treftz" wrote in message
Here's what we do --- we built a (legal) KW rig into a van, install a
vertical-
radiating antenna, cut out the roof and replace it with a fiberglass
sheet. Drive directly underneath a power line with BPL running. Run lots
of QSO's, and
have at it. We're legal. Induced RF just might make them think twice
about it.
Yes, I know Ashcrofts boys are reading this --- Hi, muthers -- I live at

the callbook address. Bring some beer when you come visiting.
N4GL

Do you mean the way CBers made channel 5 unwatchable 25 years ago?

I don't know much about BPL, but I think the TV analogy might hold. Given
the bandwidth of BPL, there must be dozens, maybe hundreds of channels on
the powerline. Can every one, or most of them, be wiped out? I'm thinking
somebody came up with some pretty robust ways to deal with interference.

But what if it does stop BPL? BPL isn't being backed because it's a
technically elegant system. It's being backed by politics. Rural areas
were critically important in the last Presidential election, and any
candidiate would love to say something like "MY OPPONENT IS STOPPING ONE
FORM OF HIGH SPEED INTERNET DISTRIBUTION ON BEHALF OF HIS PALS IN THE
TELECOMMUNCATIONS INDUSTRY, BUT I PROMISE TO BRING IT IN, RIGHT ON YOUR
POWER LINE, AS SOON AS I'M ELECTED!!" Of course, that would be a political
misrepresentation, but politicans get away with worse every day. Politics
turns into a numbers game.

How many politicians or bureaucrats are saying anything negative about this
goofy scheme? Politicians may not know physics, but they do know how to
count.

Frank Dresser