Old September 26th 03, 04:06 AM
Clay N4AOX

Default BPL endorsed by FCC, another threat to HF ham radio

Hi Gang,
Curious about this BPL. Is there a technical treatise somewhere on the
web that describes exactly how this BPL will be implemented? I am having a
hard time determining how it works. I live a few miles from what once was
TVA's largest substation in their electrical grid/system, maybe one of the
largest in the world, fed by 0.5 MV lines. Sooooo lets start with block
diagrams. How does it work?

73,
--Clay N4AOX

"Dick Carroll" wrote in message

David Stinson wrote:

The FCC may be listening to "college boy" engineers.
I saw this happen too many times at government sites.

Someone has told them that "the power lines are balanced, so
there will be no radiation from them! My professor told me so,
my text book says so and that's the end of it!"

Well, as any farm boy radio tinkerer can tell you,
them books is one thing, the real world is another.

BPL *is* coming, folks. Count on it.

Old September 26th 03, 01:02 PM
Brian Kelly

"Clay N4AOX" wrote in message ...
Hi Gang,
Curious about this BPL. Is there a technical treatise somewhere on the
web that describes exactly how this BPL will be implemented? I am having a
hard time determining how it works. I live a few miles from what once was
TVA's largest substation in their electrical grid/system, maybe one of the
largest in the world, fed by 0.5 MV lines. Sooooo lets start with block
diagrams. How does it work?

I suggest you start with the ARRL website which is full of info on BPL.

w3rv
Old September 28th 03, 01:23 AM
Clay N4AOX

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...
"Clay N4AOX" wrote in message

Hi Gang,
Curious about this BPL. Is there a technical treatise somewhere on

the
web that describes exactly how this BPL will be implemented? I am

having a
hard time determining how it works. I live a few miles from what once

was
TVA's largest substation in their electrical grid/system, maybe one of

the
largest in the world, fed by 0.5 MV lines. Sooooo lets start with

block
diagrams. How does it work?

I suggest you start with the ARRL website which is full of info on BPL.

w3rv

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the pointer. It appears that the BPL folks are going to
cozy up to the 13KV or less power lines, with internet fiber back to the
head end. This will be like your baby crib monitor on steroids. I was
wondering how they pump the 2-80 MHz through the step down transformers.
The literature mentioned a "high pass" filter around the transformer. I
read this as a high voltage, low uF cap. The relatively high inductance
"pole pigs" normally isolate households from noise stuff. If you think you
have trouble with touch lamps in the neighborhood now, just wait until they
add the "high pass" filters around the transformers. Never mind Ed Hare's
attempts to show how the power lines along the street radiate. The very
walls of your house, your christmas tree lights, etc. would radiate 2-80
MHz.

I remember back in the day when the early CATV providers used cheap
braid shielding on their cable lines. Their Channel 18 was quite
unusable in some localities due to 2 Meter Ham traffic. Of course, that
interference was a two way street also. Imagine what my DXer friend down
the street would do to the internet grid with his 10,000 watt erp into the
BPL powerline/internet coupler. What a hoot!

Don't you love Commissioner Kat's remarks. Essentially: "Suspend
the rules!, Let this fledgling technology flourish! Do they have a sound
plan? H**l no! If we get down in the middle of the deployment of this
enterprise and there are problems we will solve them as we go! Just throw
some tax payers money at it!" Hey, this fits right in with the current
administration, the Tauzin, Dingell committee, etc. and besides,
Commissioner Kat will be retired and sucking on a six figure lobbiest job
by then. Be afraid, be very afraid. --Maybe some sort of "Homeland
Defense" argument would be effective in beating this thing back.

73,
Clay N4AOX

Old September 28th 03, 02:03 AM
WA8ULX

Don't you love Commissioner Kat's remarks. Essentially: "Suspend
the rules!, Let this fledgling technology flourish! Do they have a sound
plan? H**l no! If we get down in the middle of the deployment of this
enterprise and there are problems we will solve them as we go! Just throw
some tax payers money at it!" Hey, this fits right in with the current
administration, the Tauzin, Dingell committee, etc. and besides,
Commissioner Kat will be retired and sucking on a six figure lobbiest job
by then. Be afraid, be very afraid. --Maybe some sort of "Homeland
Defense" argument would be effective in beating this thing back.

73,
Clay N4AOX

Heres the solution to the BPL problem, it it makes you wonder why someone as
done it yet.
First stop messing with FCC, these Clowns have all ready made up there minds.
Look at the Present Dumbing Down, which as been brought to us VIA the FCC
Morrons. So believe me they could care less about Hams. And stop waisting your
time sending in your comments to the FCC. If anybody in there right mind thinks
they care about 1800 comments you kidding yourself.
The solution is Simple, go to there Bosses, I dont mean anybody in the FCC I
mean the FCCs Bosses. Tell them how you plan on Voting the next time out if
this passes. Be sure and bring up Homeland Security in your comments. This is
the only thing that will stop this. If you dont think so, remember the Head Man
at the FCC recently got his hands slapped and told he would change another
screw up he recently made.