Old October 2nd 03, 09:00 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

You're off by a few years. Back in the early 70's, I used
a CB in our company trucks, and there were plenty of
rulebreakers then. Most every time I had to buy parts
from a local, I got to see their overheight towers and
linear amps.

Addressed in my reply to Jim.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old October 2nd 03, 09:08 AM
Dwight Stewart

"N2EY" wrote:

IMDB.com (Internet Movie Data Base) says that "Convoy"
and the first "Smokey and the Bandit" came out in 1977-78.

Just two examples, Jim (that's obviously why I said "and so on"). There
were a rash of movies and television shows featuring CB in the mid to late
70's - BJ and the Bear, Dukes of Hazard, Moonshine, Knight Rider, and so on.
Even regular television shows (Charley's Angels, Magnum PI, Love Boat,
CHiPs, and so on) had episodes featuring CB.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old October 2nd 03, 05:21 PM
N2EY

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message link.net...
"N2EY" wrote:

IMDB.com (Internet Movie Data Base) says that "Convoy"
and the first "Smokey and the Bandit" came out in 1977-78.

Just two examples, Jim (that's obviously why I said "and so on").

Of course.

But my point was that the TV shows and movies were a result of the cb
boom, and reflected its outlaw nature. They did not cause the boom,
nor the culture, which were solidly in place in the late 1960s.

There
were a rash of movies and television shows featuring CB in the mid to late
70's

well *after* cb was a fad..

- BJ and the Bear,

premiered 1978

Dukes of Hazard,

premiered 1979

Moonshine,

premiered 1977

Knight Rider,

premiered 1982

and so on.
Even regular television shows

(Charley's Angels,

premiered 1976

Magnum PI,

premiered 1980

Love Boat,

premiered 1976

CHiPs,

premiered 1977

and so on) had episodes featuring CB.

I'm sure they did. Note that most of the above are TV shows, and their
dates are all fall premiere dates.

cb and its culture were already well established long before the
movies and TV shows caught on. Heck, First Lady Betty Ford ("First
Mama") had one in a White House limo. (The Ford Administration ended
in January 1977).

The restrictive rules on "external and internal RF power amplifiers"
(also called "linyars") were enacted by FCC in 1978. That was long
after they were all over the place. Given typical bureaucratic delay,
that means amplifiers were a big problem at least two years earlier -
1976.

Things did not go bad because of the movies and TV shows. They went
bad because there was no way FCC could enforce the rules, and no
established culture or tradition of self-discipline, responsibility or
rule-following.

Art imitates life.

The song "Convoy" was a hit in 1976. "C.W. McCall" is/was a persona
created by one Bill Fries, starting out as a series of commercials.

True fact: The 'band' that backed up "McCall" (actually a rotating
bunch of studio musicians) was organized by Chip Davis, who is
probably better known for his involvement in the New Age "Mannheim
Steamroller" music.

To really get a handle (pun intended) on when the boom peaked, look up
when FCC gave up on licenses for cb.

73 de Jim, N2EY

thank you, imdb.com
Old October 2nd 03, 09:05 PM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(N2EY) writes:

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"N2EY" wrote:

IMDB.com (Internet Movie Data Base) says that "Convoy"
and the first "Smokey and the Bandit" came out in 1977-78.

Just two examples, Jim (that's obviously why I said "and so on").

Of course.

But my point was that the TV shows and movies were a result of the cb
boom, and reflected its outlaw nature. They did not cause the boom,
nor the culture, which were solidly in place in the late 1960s.

What "outlaw" actions took place then, mighty sheriff?

Did you arrest any of those "outlaws?"

There
were a rash of movies and television shows featuring CB in the mid to late
70's

well *after* cb was a fad..

The "fad" continues, over two decades later. :-)

- BJ and the Bear,

premiered 1978

Dukes of Hazard,

premiered 1979

Moonshine,

premiered 1977

Knight Rider,

premiered 1982

and so on.
Even regular television shows

(Charley's Angels,

premiered 1976

Magnum PI,

premiered 1980

Love Boat,

premiered 1976

CHiPs,

premiered 1977

and so on) had episodes featuring CB.

"CHiPs" featured fake motorcycle and patrol car communications using
California Highway Patrol protocol and radio equipment dummies on
supposed CHP frequencies. Some of the audio of actual CHP radio
communications was recorded and "wild-tracked" into an episode as
needed.

It's "highway scenes" were shot on the Foothill Freeway under construction
in the Sunland-Tujunga-La-Crescenta area just to my residence's north.

I'm sure they did. Note that most of the above are TV shows, and their
dates are all fall premiere dates.

You have a dispute with the entertainment industry and television in
general? Take it up with the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
Their headquarters is in North Hollywood...very nice building. Nice
folks in there...but watch out on dissing them or you might wind up head-
first in one of the fountains in the courtyard.

cb and its culture were already well established long before the
movies and TV shows caught on.

"Outlaw culture?" :-)

"Desperados of the Wild West?" Are you imagining yourself as some
kind of "marshall" out to "avenge" things? :-)

The restrictive rules on "external and internal RF power amplifiers"
(also called "linyars") were enacted by FCC in 1978. That was long
after they were all over the place. Given typical bureaucratic delay,
that means amplifiers were a big problem at least two years earlier -
1976.

Okay, here it is 27 years later. Where are all the avenging marshalls
and sheriffs and fast-draw lawmen setting up law and order in the wild
EM west?

Things did not go bad because of the movies and TV shows. They went
bad because there was no way FCC could enforce the rules, and no
established culture or tradition of self-discipline, responsibility or
rule-following.

Yes, pity that...no one to "establish culture or tradition or
self-discipline"
like all the mighty macho morsemen did LONG before Sheriff Jimmie
was born. :-)

Sheriff Jimmie, hop up on your hearse and form up a posse to ride out
into the wild EM west and arrest those miscreants!

Make yourself look proud in the eyes of other macho morsemen!

SO, WHERE ARE ALL THE MOVIES AND TV SHOWS FEATURING
AMATEUR RADIO...AND ESPECIALLY MORSE CODE?

AMATEUR RADIO AND THE ARRL HAVE HAD LONGER THAN 27
YEARS TO MAKE AN IMPACT ON THE PUBLIC THROUGH THE
ENTERTAINMENT MEDIA.

Got yer ears on? :-)

LHA

Old October 2nd 03, 10:43 PM
Jack Twilley

Old October 3rd 03, 03:07 AM
Mike Coslo

Dwight Stewart wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

You're off by a few years. Back in the early 70's, I used
a CB in our company trucks, and there were plenty of
rulebreakers then. Most every time I had to buy parts
from a local, I got to see their overheight towers and
linear amps.

Addressed in my reply to Jim.

That CB became well know in the later 70's is not in doubt, but since
my job in the early 70's required me to travel on the highways a lot, I
can ensure you that it had the "outlaw persona" even at that time. Over
the road, the Tuckers sounded very much like they do today, and the boys
running their linears were so very much like they are now. The biggest
difference was they used a different channel than 19. Know what it was?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 3rd 03, 04:11 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

That CB became well know in the later 70's is not in doubt,
but since my job in the early 70's required me to travel on
the highways a lot, I can ensure you that it had the "outlaw
persona" even at that time. (snip)

I don't think I said it didn't, Mike. Instead, I'm pretty sure I said CB
"went to h*ell in a handbasket" after the Hollywood movies of the time. Is
there some conflict in that? Do you not agree that CB increased on
popularily dramatically after those movies and that problems increased
dramatically as a result of that growth? That increased popularity was the
final nail in the coffen of civilized CB. Unless there is some conflict I
don't see, I stand by what I originally said.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old October 3rd 03, 04:34 AM
Mike Coslo

Dwight Stewart wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote:

That CB became well know in the later 70's is not in doubt,
but since my job in the early 70's required me to travel on
the highways a lot, I can ensure you that it had the "outlaw
persona" even at that time. (snip)

I don't think I said it didn't, Mike. Instead, I'm pretty sure I said CB
"went to h*ell in a handbasket" after the Hollywood movies of the time. Is
there some conflict in that? Do you not agree that CB increased on
popularily dramatically after those movies and that problems increased
dramatically as a result of that growth? That increased popularity was the
final nail in the coffen of civilized CB. Unless there is some conflict I
don't see, I stand by what I originally said.

I just say it went there some years earlier than you believe it did. I
was there and listening.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 6th 03, 06:09 PM
N2EY

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...
In article ,

"N2EY" wrote:

IMDB.com (Internet Movie Data Base) says that "Convoy"
and the first "Smokey and the Bandit" came out in 1977-78.

Just two examples, Jim (that's obviously why I said "and so on").

Of course.

But my point was that the TV shows and movies were a result of the cb
boom, and reflected its outlaw nature. They did not cause the boom,
nor the culture, which were solidly in place in the late 1960s.

What "outlaw" actions took place then

?

On cb (this is the short list):

- Operation without a license (when licenses were required)
- Failure to identify
- False/misleading identification
- Power far in excess of legal limit
- Use of non-type-accepted/certified equipment
- Operation on unauthorized frequencies
- Intentional interference
- Obscenity/profanity/vulgarity
- Contacts beyond the legal distance limit
- Contacts beyond the legal time limit

And the big one:

- Use of radio to facilitate other illegal activities (such as speed
limit violations)

All of the above were common long before there were movies or TV shows
with cb in them.

There
were a rash of movies and television shows featuring CB in the mid to late
70's

well *after* cb was a fad..

The "fad" continues, over two decades later. :-)

Not at anything like the level of 20 years ago.

I'm sure they did. Note that most of the above are TV shows, and their
dates are all fall premiere dates.

You have a dispute with the entertainment industry and television in
general?

Most of what is produced by the "entertainment industry" is pure
unaldulterated JUNK. Not just worthless but actually harmful. Not a
new phenomenon, either, it's been that way at least as long as I've
been around.

There are notable exceptions, of course, but the *average* TV show or
Hollywood movie is not worth the time it takes to watch.

Take it up with the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.

A group whose only purpose is for those who work in the "industry" to
give each other awards.

Their headquarters is in North Hollywood...very nice building. Nice
folks in there...

I'm sure there are some nice people in the "entertainment industry".
But that industry produces an awfully high percentage of JUNK.

but watch out on dissing them or you might wind up head-
first in one of the fountains in the courtyard.

How? Are you going to overpower me and throw me there? I'd really like
to see you try.

Sure sounds like you are threatening me, Len. Simply for expressing an
opinion.

cb and its culture were already well established long before the
movies and TV shows caught on.

"Outlaw culture?" :-)

Yep.

The restrictive rules on "external and internal RF power amplifiers"
(also called "linyars") were enacted by FCC in 1978. That was long
after they were all over the place. Given typical bureaucratic delay,
that means amplifiers were a big problem at least two years earlier -
1976.

Okay, here it is 27 years later. Where are all the avenging marshalls
and sheriffs and fast-draw lawmen setting up law and order in the wild
EM west?

They're called the FCC. You may have heard of them.

Things did not go bad because of the movies and TV shows. They went
bad because there was no way FCC could enforce the rules, and no
established culture or tradition of self-discipline, responsibility or
rule-following.

Yes, pity that...no one to "establish culture or tradition or
self-discipline"

That's right. Instead, a culture of "who cares what the rules are"
emerged and became dominant.

Kinda like on TV.

SO, WHERE ARE ALL THE MOVIES AND TV SHOWS FEATURING
AMATEUR RADIO...AND ESPECIALLY MORSE CODE?

Where are all the movies and TV shows about normal, average people
with regular jobs, living in typical families and having normal lives?

Most Americans don't live in Los Angeles, San Franscisco, Chicago or
New York City.

Most Americans do not work in health care or the criminal justice
system.

Most Americans' problems and conflicts are not resolved in 22 or 44
minutes.

Most American television and motion pictures are JUNK.

Now you can get all upset and indignant, Len old boy, but the facts
are the facts.

Funny Morse Code Picture Private Dx 15 January 27th 05 11:16 PM
Funny Morse Code Picture Lloyd General 0 January 9th 05 11:55 PM
Funny Morse Code Picture Private Dx 0 January 4th 05 03:21 AM
eScrew zen story [email protected] Antenna 0 December 20th 04 09:06 AM
It's Mother-Mary on Cheese Toast! (ot but funny!) Blaster of Ragheads General 4 November 18th 04 09:54 PM