Old October 6th 03, 03:40 PM
WA8ULX

Well, one certainly can't say there's any substantial difficulty involved!

Difficculty, they might as well just give the EXTRA to any one who ask for it.
For that matter, they might as well give all the Licenses away.
Old October 6th 03, 04:21 PM
Alun Palmer

Dick Carroll wrote in
:

Carl R. Stevenson wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
et...

And what I'm thinking is that unless it means something again, they
might as well get rid of it. That little sliver of operating
frequencies is not worth it, if increased privileges are the measuring
stick.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Actually, the differences in privs from General to Extra are
substantial. With the FCC no longer issuing Advanced licenses, the
only way to gain access to the "Advanced sub-bands" is to upgrade to
Extra.

I'd say that's a pretty good incentive.

Well, one certainly can't say there's any substantial difficulty
involved!

I think you're wrong about that Dick. As an EE, I wouldn't find it
difficult, but I know plenty of Generals, and Techs for that matter, for
whom the Extra class theory is seen as something very tough. Not everyone
can be one of the intelligentsia!
Old October 6th 03, 08:35 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"WA8ULX" wrote in message
Let me clear up the fog for you Clint. My point is the Extra ain't worth

damn any more.

Dan/W4NTI

Thats for sure, but in my case the only reason I upgraded was for the

$250.00.
And I got to take it from of a bunch of No-Code Dead Heads. Still havent

used
the EXTRA for the EXTRA band segments, probably never will.

I mostly use them when I contest and/or chase DX on HF. Thats basically
it..

In fact that is why I decided to upgrade years ago.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 6th 03, 08:36 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"WA8ULX" wrote in message
Sure can Clint. And you just made my point.

Dan/W4NTI

Can you imagine the rude awaking these Knuckle Draggers will receive when

they
get on HF?

The only thing I can compare the thought to would be meeting up with a
couple hundred thousand W2OYs hi hi.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 6th 03, 08:38 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Your a big boy Clint. You can figure it out, if you really really try.

Dan/W4NTI

"Clint" rattlehead at computron dot net wrote in message
Sure can Clint. And you just made my point.

Dan/W4NTI

And what point would THAT be? the hams that did this were legally
licensed, had been for some time, and passed at least 13 wmp code
tests. So much for the "yahoo filter" theory.

Clint

--
"All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly
as often as necessary. In no case would it have been possible, once

...it was not even forgery. It was merely the substitution of one piece
of nonsense for another. Most of the material that you were dealing
with had no connection with anything in the real world, not even the
kind of connection that is contained in a direct lie. Statistics were just
as much a fantasy in thier original version as in thier rectified

version."

- The totalitarian world of George Orwell's 1984
(or is it the slander & lie campaign strategy of
today's liberals???)

--
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
link.net...

"Clint" rattlehead at computron dot net wrote in message

The new requirements *probably* will have no Morse code

requirements,
ergo Morse is not really relevant to this thread.

They may or may not; if the FCC decides that no "no further change in

the
license structure is required at this time" then of course that will

be
the
final
word on *that* matter, and we'll accept it and go on since they are

the
ones that have the final say. I just couldn't help but notice how

certain
ones
in here I think have such an overpowering agenda regarding the CW
part of the testing that it tends to take them over and govern, or at

least
seriously influence, everything they have to remark about in ham

radio.

I'm a general class operator; I realize by definition that means I had

show knowledge in certain areas to prove I deserved recieving the next
higher license class than tech-plus; however, I did not demonstrate

enough
skill and knowledge to warrant recieving the advanced class license.
Therefore,
advanced class operators *should* know more than I do, or at least as

much.

That brings us to the sad truth that if an *extra* class license

operator
doesn't
know how to calculate the length of a walf wave dipole on 40m (or

whatever
frequency), that is a serious issue. I say that because calculating

the
length of
an antenna, especially a halfwave dipole of ALL things, is and always

WILL
be so basic to ham radio that it should be on page one of chapter one

of
every study guide ever printed. Such matters is why I put such a

strong
emphasis on putting more priority on written testing than that of the

skills
of
translating a CW transmission.

Sad thing is, most the time I get on 75 meters and begin discussing

ham
radio
tech stuff, there is usually one heckler that harangues you about it

and
makes
light of the fact that you were talking about ham radio stuff and not

what
the
weather was like on a day 58 years ago while an old man sat on a porch
and peeled potatoes in the hot summer sun... true story. I actually

was
on
the
airwaves a few weeks ago discussing the pros and cons how how to set

up
a new 75 meter inverted V I was going to make at home... and as soon

as
I finished the conversation with the other ham and he went off the

air,
couple
of hams got in there and began talking to one another BASHING me for

doing
so... can you imagine???

Clint

Old October 6th 03, 08:42 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
et...
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

What contests do you do? I don't remember you. Course I've only done

them
for 30 years or so.

PAQSO, NEQP, Field day, North American. I tried the Ohio this year, but
conditions were bad. I've not been licensed too long, and sometimes op
our club station (W3YA)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Good show Mike. Sure I know W3YA. And this coming weekend is PA Qso Party.
I intend to enter. What call you using, if your going to enter?

I played in the California QP this weekend. Worked a bunch of them. Thats
always a good one to get into.

Tell the boys in PA to listen south. And pay attention to 40 also.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 6th 03, 08:44 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"WA8ULX" wrote in message
As I said, glad I didn't now. I'll just keep what I got, and let folks
wonder what I have. Cause there sure ain't no reason to brag about it.

Dan/W4NTI

Thats why these No-Coders run out and grab a 1x2 or 1x3.They think this

will
make people think they have been around awhile and know something.

Your right Bruce. And that again proves one of my points. I never much
cared for the Vanity program anyway. In my opinion it is just a sneaky way
to charge for a license.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 6th 03, 08:47 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
.com...

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
link.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
.com...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
et...
I'm still trying to decide what to do. I do a fair bit of

contesting,
and KB3EIA is quite a mouthfull at those times. It's not too bad CW

wise
(tho I haven't done CW contesting - maybe if I ever get good enough)

- Mike KB3EIA -

The way to get good at it is to jump in and do it anyway. The way to

start
is to listen to one station over and over until you finally pick out

the
information and then to through your call sign in. Also never

hesitate
send "PS QRS" when necessary. You can even specify the speed with "PS

QRS
10" or whatever you are comfortable with. Most will slow down.

I'm not particularly good at it myself but am running about 50% CW

contacts
on the ongoing California QSO party.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Good for you Dee D. I played in it myself. Got 147 phone and 194 on

CW.

Dan/W4NTI

Although it was running about even most of the contest, later the voice
bands picked up and I ended with 95 voice and 78 CW.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Great job Dee D. Wish I would have known you were on. I would have given
you a listen.

Hey Sweepstakes is my all time favorite contest. Ill be on CW for sure.
And maybe phone also.

Two diff weekends.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 6th 03, 08:58 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
et...

snip

Can anyone *prove* to me that the Extra written contains things a ham

*must*
know to operate on the Extra-only subbands?

Nope! There is really not much reason to go from General to Extra
beyond personal satisfaction!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Not true Mike.....your a contester. See what I mean ?

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 6th 03, 08:59 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Can anyone *prove* to me that the Extra written contains things a ham

*must*
know to operate on the Extra-only subbands?

Nope! There is really not much reason to go from General to Extra
beyond personal satisfaction!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike:

In the past (the Pre-Restructuring Era), the reason for upgrading was that
increased operating privileges were the reward for gaining increased
technical knowledge and operating skill. The ARS seems to have taken
a clue from the rest of our dumbed-down society and abandoned this
philosophy.

73 de Larry, K3LT

I've never thought of it that way Larry, but your 100% correct. Just look
at Kim.

Dan/W4NTI