Old October 3rd 03, 03:30 AM
Clint

Default Wonder how licensing will change...

When they drop the morse code test requirement, it's
fairly clear to me they just won't "drop" it all by
itself with a stroke of an administrative pen; I imagine it
will accompany other changes in the license structure...
what do you think will also change in the licensing
system when the drop the morse code test?

Clint
KB5ZHT

Old October 3rd 03, 04:28 AM
Mike Coslo

Clint wrote:

When they drop the morse code test requirement, it's
fairly clear to me they just won't "drop" it all by
itself with a stroke of an administrative pen; I imagine it
will accompany other changes in the license structure...
what do you think will also change in the licensing
system when the drop the morse code test?

This is the biggest reason that I believe it will take quite a while to
remove the Morse test. There will probably be a lot of changes that
need to be discussed and made, if the licensing structure is to make any
sense.

My earlier prediction was 4 years in a "guess the drop time" contest we
started earlier in the year.

I would guess that we will have either two or three classes, as we do now:

The technician license will probably be very similar to what it is now.
I don't know that any significant changes will be made.

The HF licenses are a much murkier area.

If there were to be only two license classes, my wish would be that the
testing regimen would be more or less what the Extra is now.

But there may be some resistance to that, and it is understandable.
There is no reason not to have an entry level HF license similar to the
General.

I tend toward two license classes, but don't have any strong feelings
against three.

Testing......

The multiple guess format is probably here to stay. I don't think it is
as bad as some say. Reading the answers in a textbook or reading them in
multiple choice format is all the same to me. It took me a week of
fairly steady study to get ready for the exam. The way they get you to
learn is to have a lot of questions, and only test on a few.

And as a fairly new Extra, I can say that those answers don't always
show up in the same abcd order as they do in the question pools. So you
really do have to know an answer.

I would like to see the tests a little more in depth (note I don't say
harder) with more operation questions. Perhaps even a post-test booklet
with good operating procedures. I really needed this after passing my
general. I had some small HF experience from contesting with the club,
but contesting etiquette and everyday etiquette are two very different
things.

My biggest hope is that we take the time to make a good system, and not
come up with some Byzantine mess.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 3rd 03, 04:45 AM
WA8ULX

I imagine it
will accompany other changes in the license structure...
what do you think will also change in the licensing
system when the drop the morse code test?

Clint
KB5ZHT

What ever the License change will be, the written will become even easier.
Old October 3rd 03, 11:29 AM
N2EY

In article , "Clint" rattlehead at
computron dot net writes:

When they drop the morse code test requirement, it's
fairly clear to me they just won't "drop" it all by
itself with a stroke of an administrative pen;

Why not? That's all that most of the anticodetest petitions are asking for.
Both the NCI and NCVEC petitions simply ask for the dropping of Element 1 and
nothing else.

I imagine it
will accompany other changes in the license structure...

Only if somebody asks for them.

The FCC considered all sorts of proposals 4 years ago and we got what we have
now.

Old October 3rd 03, 02:59 PM
Clint

I figure 3 classes... probably a entry level "no HF" license, and
then 2 licenses that reflect different levels of expressed knowledge,
that is, seperate amounts of frequency priviledges.

I'd prefer more, but for some reason I feel it will settle to 3....
What WAS a no code tech license will be the equivalent to
the new entry level license, what is now the general class
will be the middle license, and extra being the "top" license.

Personally, I think they should just "drop" the code part
of the test and not effect the number of license, keep them
the same, or increase them back to what it was before.

My $.02

Old October 3rd 03, 02:59 PM
Clint

"WA8ULX" wrote in message

What ever the License change will be, the written will become even easier.

I don't agree with that.

Clint

Get in touch with your soul: www.glennbeck.com
OR, if you're a liberal, maybe you can FIND one

Old October 3rd 03, 05:06 PM
Hans K0HB

"Clint" wrote

what do you think will also change in the licensing
system when the drop the morse code test?

Go to http://home.earthlink.net/~k0hb and click on the link "FCC
Comments" in the left column.

That describes the most sensible "post-CW-test" structure.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Old October 3rd 03, 06:33 PM
Bert Craig

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
hlink.net...
Why should the FCC simply grandfather the Tech (no code) to Tech plus

(code
and Novice test) ??

The Tech (no code) has no HF test questions. (as I understand it). Thus
there is no reason a Tech (no code) would, or should be qualified to

operate
HF.

It's a "gimme," Dan. In other words, some may be hoping that by "giving"
no-code Technicians an "unearned" slice of HF, it can be called an agreeable
compromise to retain Element 1 for the Extra. (Perhaps even the General.) I
personally don't think it'll work, but the FCC might go for it. Who knows?

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI