Old November 17th 03, 01:08 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
.net...
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:12:06 GMT, Dee D. Flint wrote:

So you're saying we should go to "Ma's Diner" for the sole purpose of
keeping them in business?? I don't think so.

There are/were several "Ma's Diner" level establishments that we
patronize(d) for just that reason. Some of them didn't survive, but
that wasn't because we didn't go there.

OTOH, there are several "successful" enterprises that we just
wouldn't patronize - Wal-Mart leads that list.

I would go if they had a product I wanted but see no reason to do so if they
are not selling the products that I want.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 18th 03, 08:25 PM
Phil Kane

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 01:08:51 GMT, Dee D. Flint wrote:

OTOH, there are several "successful" enterprises that we just
wouldn't patronize - Wal-Mart leads that list.

I would go if they had a product I wanted but see no reason to do so if they
are not selling the products that I want.

We do not shop there because we do not like their business attitudes
in specific areas - hiring folks desperate for a job but only for 19
hours a week not to exceed two years' tenure, thereby avoiding
paying much above minimum wage and granting no employee benefits,
certain shenanigans about forced unpaid hours (subject of several
lawsuits across the country), and trashing the local merchants and
moving on whenever they pleased, leaving disaster in their wake.

Our choice.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old November 18th 03, 09:24 PM
Mike Coslo

Phil Kane wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 01:08:51 GMT, Dee D. Flint wrote:

OTOH, there are several "successful" enterprises that we just
wouldn't patronize - Wal-Mart leads that list.

I would go if they had a product I wanted but see no reason to do so if they
are not selling the products that I want.

We do not shop there because we do not like their business attitudes
in specific areas - hiring folks desperate for a job but only for 19
hours a week not to exceed two years' tenure, thereby avoiding
paying much above minimum wage and granting no employee benefits,
certain shenanigans about forced unpaid hours (subject of several
lawsuits across the country), and trashing the local merchants and
moving on whenever they pleased, leaving disaster in their wake.

Our choice.

Don't forget they hire illegal aliens to do some of the work..... Oh
hey! that ws one of the original OT parts of this thread. Here we go
full circle!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old November 23rd 03, 03:29 PM
N2EY

In article , "Phil Kane"
writes:

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 01:08:51 GMT, Dee D. Flint wrote:

OTOH, there are several "successful" enterprises that we just
wouldn't patronize - Wal-Mart leads that list.

I would go if they had a product I wanted but see no reason to do so if they
are not selling the products that I want.

We do not shop there because we do not like their business attitudes
in specific areas - hiring folks desperate for a job but only for 19
hours a week not to exceed two years' tenure, thereby avoiding
paying much above minimum wage and granting no employee benefits,
certain shenanigans about forced unpaid hours (subject of several
lawsuits across the country), and trashing the local merchants and
moving on whenever they pleased, leaving disaster in their wake.

Our choice.

Exactly. That's what I call behaving like a "customer" rather than a
"consumer".

73 de Jim, N2EY