Old October 20th 03, 12:17 PM
Brian Kelly

Default Here it is-BPL full rollout in Va

Dick Carroll wrote in message ...
CHeck this out...

http://www.potomacnews.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WPN%2FMGArticle%2FWPN_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031771619197&path=!frontpage

Good! Somebody had to bite the bullet and do it, let 'er rip. I'm
betting that Manassas will become the focal point of the whole issue.
It's likely gonna establish whether or not there's any money in it for
the service providers, whether or not the interference BPL generates
will terminally interfere with critical HF comms and how many of the
plugged-in $29.95/month citizen users of BPL in Manassas identities
get hacked, yadda, yadda, all of it.

For better or worse let the battle begin win lose or draw.

I vaguely remember Manassas being the last focal point of a much
earlier national debate, something about Lee handing Grant his sword
in Manassas . . is there some irony here?

w3rv
Old October 20th 03, 12:56 PM
Duane Allen

Brian Kelly wrote:
[...]

There is no irony. Lee surrendered to Grant at the Appomattox
courthouse, which is not in Massassas. There is a good summary of the
Civil War battles at http://www2.cr.nps.gov/abpp/battles/bycampgn.htm.

N6JPO

Old October 20th 03, 03:09 PM
David Stinson

Duane Allen wrote:
... Lee surrendered to Grant at the Appomattox
courthouse, which is not in Massassas....

That whole "surrender" business is just Yankee propaganda-
completely made-up. Grant had been drinking again,
so General Lee got him to agree to a "tie."
It was covered up to protect Grant's presidential run
so his cronies could get power.
Yeeee-HAAA!
Dave S.
Old October 20th 03, 04:25 PM
Duane Allen

David Stinson wrote:
Duane Allen wrote:

... Lee surrendered to Grant at the Appomattox
courthouse, which is not in Massassas....

That whole "surrender" business is just Yankee propaganda-
completely made-up. Grant had been drinking again,
so General Lee got him to agree to a "tie."
It was covered up to protect Grant's presidential run
so his cronies could get power.
Yeeee-HAAA!
Dave S.

Sorry, I forgot that these posts ended up in both North and South.

On a serious off-topic note, does anyone know what is being done to
protec the CSA graveyards. Thanks in advance.

Duane Allen
N6JPO

Old October 20th 03, 05:50 PM
Steve .. AI7W

Does anyone know if there was any representation from the amateur
community or the ARRL at this City Council meeting or during the
"year-long preparation process"?

The City Council voted unanimously on Thursday to grant a franchise

to Prospect Street Broadband, LLC., bringing a year-long preparation
process to fruition

Steve

Old October 20th 03, 06:23 PM
Brian Kelly

Duane Allen wrote in message link.net...
Brian Kelly wrote:
[...]

You're right of course, my memory is a lot more vague than I thought
it was. BPL in Manassas is the Third Battle of Bull Run . . will that
work for you??

N6JPO

Old October 20th 03, 11:29 PM
N2EY

In article , David Stinson
writes:

Duane Allen wrote:
... Lee surrendered to Grant at the Appomattox
courthouse, which is not in Massassas....

That whole "surrender" business is just Yankee propaganda-
completely made-up.

Not completely - bofum *were* at Appomatox,,,,

Grant had been drinking again,
so General Lee got him to agree to a "tie."
It was covered up to protect Grant's presidential run
so his cronies could get power.

That's not how I heard it!

It was explained to me that Grant stole Lee's sword, and Lee was too much of a
gentleman to ask for it back.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old October 25th 03, 05:18 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article . net, Duane Allen
writes:

On a serious off-topic note, does anyone know what is being done to
protec the CSA graveyards. Thanks in advance.

I do. The graveyards full of traitorous racist Confederates are being
converted to HAZMAT landfill sites and leach fields. You Rebs wanted
"states rights" so you could do such lovely things as own slaves. Well,
now our society is trashed by the millions of descendants of those
"slaves" who want their assets kissed with government support from
cradle to grave. Well, I guess it is better than your blue-blood white
trash ancestors getting their hands dirty. Of course, now we'll probably
have to sit through all the tired old QRM about how the Civil War wasn't
about slavery. Right.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old October 25th 03, 11:15 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote:

(snip) Well, now our society is trashed by the millions of
descendants of those "slaves" who want their assets kissed
with government support from cradle to grave. Well, I guess
it is better than your blue-blood white trash ancestors getting
their hands dirty. Of course, now we'll probably have to sit
through all the tired old QRM about how the Civil War
wasn't about slavery. Right.

Actually, the Civil War wasn't about slavery, but I'll avoid an
unnecessary repetition of those facts. I'll instead point out that the
majority of blacks in this country today are not decendents of American
slaves - they, or their ancestors, entered this country in the 150 or so
years after slavery was abolished (the majority of those within the last
twenty years). Therefore, if you have a complaint, perhaps you should focus
on those members of recent administrations who helped ease immigration
requirements, not on something that happened many decades ago. Both
political parties are responsible - the Democrats want voters and the
Republicans want cheap labor for big business.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/