RadioBanter

-   -   Why I Like The ARRL (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27159-why-i-like-arrl.html)

N2EY December 28th 03 11:57 PM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article .net, "KØHB"
writes:

"Dee D. Flint" wrote

It's often helpful to have insight into the past and past systems to come
up with the future proposals.

If you can persuade me that a transmitter comprised of 2 obsolete 1930's
tubes cobbled together on a wooden chassis gives insights which lead to
future breakthroughs in the radio art, then I'll owe you a lobster dinner

at
Dayton.

I doubt anyone could convince you, but...

A person can learn a lot MORE from the older technology. It is a lot
closer to the theory by virtue of simplicity.

Sometimes, anyway.

What would do a better job of teaching a newbie about antenna matching,
a simple L or T network tuner, or an LDG tuner?

Exactly!

What would teach a newbie the technical ins and outs of transcievers, a
rock mite or a FT1000MP-Mark V? Or to keep within the bet, that wooden
chassis three tube thing.

The wooden chassis rig is just a transmitter. But the Rock Mite comparison is
dead-on.

And the newbies of today may become the bloody edge pro's of tomorrow.

Everybody's gotta start somewhere. Insisting that old and simple technologies
have no place or are a "waste of time" ensures that a lot of folks won;t take
the first step.

The publication of actual homebrew equipment in today's ham mags may just
get some folks to actually start tinkering.

And that seems to really bother some folks...

The fact that a 21st century had
restored *and used* a ~50 year old homebrew rig says that it's not just
something hams used to do years and years ago.

The technology isn't nearly so important as the mindset that homebrewing is
a viable alternative.

And if the signal is up to modern requirements and the ham has fun, what's
the problem?

Hear Hear! There is not thing one wrong with old technology, and the
pursuit of that part of the hobby is every bit as valid as the latest
gee whiz techno-marvel.

It's electro-politically incorrect, Mike.

Too many people seem to think that a ham can only enjoy one facet of
the hobby, it would seem. I like and use the latest technology, but I
just love the old stuff too.

Like being able to enjoy both a modern pickup truck and a '62 Corvair...

Couple months back there was a homebrew 17 meter DSB transceiver article

in QST. Not exactly bleeding edge technology but it worked and the ham
learned things and had a ton of fun. So it ain't just vintage stuff in QST.

I'm homebrewing a high power tuner right now that will double as a
piece of art. Bleeding edge technology? Heck no! if other hams don't
like it, thay can just ignore my CQ!!

This afternoon I worked NN3SI on 40 CW. He was running an Omni 6, I was using
the Southgate Type 7.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY January 15th 04 01:36 AM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

I've though of writing an article or two for QST myself.

Do it, Mike.

Probably wouldn't be cutting edge.

Doesn't matter.

Most contributions I could make would be
geared toward homebrewing, and most likely on panel layout technique,
ergonomics and (gasp) aesthetics. If they print an article about doing
panels in Powerpoint, the state of Amateur radio equipment layout could
use the boost.

Yep. Or how to make nice looking dials, labels, meter scales, etc.

One ham I know has made a schematic drawing utility based on MS Paint.
The various components are essentially clipart, as I understand it.

Hans would probably still make fun of it tho'! ;^)

So would some others, including at least one who's not even a ham. So what?

One of my articles was June, 1994, IIRC.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Mike Coslo January 15th 04 01:39 PM

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

I've though of writing an article or two for QST myself.

Do it, Mike.

Probably wouldn't be cutting edge.

Doesn't matter.

Most contributions I could make would be
geared toward homebrewing, and most likely on panel layout technique,
ergonomics and (gasp) aesthetics. If they print an article about doing
panels in Powerpoint, the state of Amateur radio equipment layout could
use the boost.

Yep. Or how to make nice looking dials, labels, meter scales, etc.

One ham I know has made a schematic drawing utility based on MS Paint.
The various components are essentially clipart, as I understand it.

Hans would probably still make fun of it tho'! ;^)

So would some others, including at least one who's not even a ham. So what?

One of my articles was June, 1994, IIRC.

Did this post just recently make it to your server, Jim? I posted it
quite a while back. I've noticed this in a few of my posts to the group.
I just wonder where the messages go for a few weeks? 8^)

But yes, maybe I will just write something up. Maybe include ergonomics
too.

- Mike KB3EIA -

N2EY January 16th 04 12:56 AM

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

[...]

I use AutoAol and write my replies offline. Sometimes I don't see or reply to a
post right away.

But yes, maybe I will just write something up. Maybe include
ergonomics too.

Maybe we could collaborate on something like that. I have a number of ideas
about ergonomics in hamshack and equipment layout, going back years before I
ever heard the word. Built all my own shack furniture for the past 35 years or
so because conventional stuff isn't well suited to ham use. (A basement shack
gives one a lot of leeway).

Have also used CAD to make a really neat custom dial drum for the Southgate
Type 7.

Or if ya just want a proofreader...

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY