RadioBanter

-   -   Why I Like The ARRL (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27159-why-i-like-arrl.html)

Len Over 21 December 20th 03 07:34 PM

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Oops sorry, I accidentally posted without comment

How dare you? :-)

LHA

Len Over 21 December 20th 03 07:34 PM

In article k.net, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

If a 50+ year old transmitter on a wooden chassis can put out a legal signal
and make QSOs, what't the problem?

No problem at all if you want to waste your time with that, but to have the
National Association of Amateur Radio feature half century old technology as
feature article(s) in their membership journal speaks volumns.

§ 97.1(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to
contribute to the ADVANCEMENT of the radio art.

The thing being ADVANCED is the peace and tranquility state of
the amateur, Hans. That's important to their mental well-being.

Going back to past technology, rebuilding and restoring, is SAFE.
Such is a known quantity. It can be explained via many existing
texts. SECURITY. No problems about learning anything new. All
can become "expert" on things made long ago without undue
struggle. Such is already-proven technology...no struggling with
unproven ideas.

There's also the Nostalgia of the Never. Most restorers were not
alive or too young when old equipment was high-tech. They want
to relive a pioneering past they never lived in, indulging in fantasy
and make-believe through vicarious mental other-lives.

Old radio is SIMPLE. Everything is analogue. No need to learn
new things like digital frequency meters (why get direct numbers
when it is so much "fun" to beat a 221 and interpolate from that
little book?), or PLLs for VFO stability (let it warm up for a half
hour first then squint at a hand-scratched dial reading and hope
you are still in-band), or "product detectors" when everyone knows
a detector is a diode and must always have a BFO.

STABILITY. Not just in quartz crystal control of a single transmit
frequency. Known quantities are stable...all that is required is to
consult existing texts and pictures long in existance and praised
by mostly-gone users. If it was good then it MUST still be good.

SERENITY. Self-satisfaction of "accomplishing" what has already
been done.

Safe. Secure. Simple. Stable. Serene. Old ways are best...

LHA

N2EY December 20th 03 07:59 PM

In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
. com...
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

Leadership is
when one has the courage and wisdom to make a sound judgement
and then "do the right thing."

Who decides what "the right thing" really is?

That's what "leadership" is *supposed* to be there for ... to make
the tough calls when the answer isn't necessarily obvious (or may
be right, but not overwhelmingly popular).

But ultimately it comes down to popularity, because if the "leader" makes
unpopular-enough decision(s), he/she may not be a "leader" anymore. This
happens in government, in business (if a decision isn't popular-enough with
customers and/or stockholders), and in almost all voluntary organizations.

For example, look at
that "21st century" paper (CQ published it, btw, and it was in their
mill before I evder saw it, so don't give me a hard time about it). Is
the "Communicator" idea "the right thing"?

No ... we need more people who understand radio, not more appliance
operators.

Agreed!

But the leaders of the NCVEC committee disagree with us.

And some of the provisions of the "Communicator" work against that. (No rigs
over 30 volts??)

But others will argue that an easier entry-level license will attract more new
hams, and therefore more who will want to *understand radio*. After all, isn't
education one of the B&Ps of the ARS?

It boils down to the old argument of:

"Become a ham to learn about radio"

vs.

"Learn about radio to become a ham"

Otherwise, they could just do a web vote
popularity contest on every issue and wouldn't need Directors ... the
staff could handle the whole thing ...

And if that vote runs opposite to what you think is "the right thing"?

I wasn't advocating a popularity contest ... just saying that if nobody in
"leadership" has the cajones and good judgement to make the right call,
then it might as well devolve to that ...

They *do* have the intestinal fortitude to make the "right" call. But there's
disagreement about what that call is. There are honest people on all sides of
most disagreements.

It sounds to me like you're saying the ARRL Directors should sometimes
go against what the majority of members say they want. Do you really
think that's a good idea?

Yes ... the leadership should, theoretically at least, have superior
knowledge,
insight, and experience and should be there to guide, not simply be a bunch
of political "yes men" to a majority who may/may not necessarily make the
best
choices in terms of what's in the best interests of ham radio long term.

Others describe the ARRL leadership as "self appointed gods of radio" who claim
to "know what is best". And they use that description as a reason not to join.

Like it or not, it's ultimately a popularity contest. And the long term is hard
to gauge because things aren't left alone long enough. Even when they are,
there is often little agreement with what the results mean.

For example, did US amateur radio grow faster in the nocodetest 90s than in the
allcodetest 80s?

What I was referring to were things like CW practice, bulletins, etc.

All
of that could
be provided (and much is) by the web site, and probably would reduce
operating
costs. (Though doing things by non-radio means is heresy to some ...)

IOW, you want to shut down the station.

No, I wasn't saying that ... I was just "thinking out loud" about what
things
might be more cost-effectively provided by other means.

If the bulletins and code practice were done online instead of on-air, what
would be left of W1AW?

The whole point of W1AW is to do those things by *radio*. If we're
going to use the website for bulletins and code practice, why not rag
chewing, traffic handling, DX chasing, contesting......

I've always said that the ampr.org domain should be come a much more
integrated, vibrant part of the internet as a whole ...

But what have you *done* to make that a reality except for talking about it?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Brian December 20th 03 08:12 PM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message igy.com...
"KØHB" wrote in message
link.net...

"N2EY" wrote

Yep. It's the annual "vintage radio" issue. Says so right on the cover.

Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!! You make my point exactly!!!

I'm very much an ARRL supporter, but an "Annual Vintage Radio Issue" is a
pathetic statement about the technical leadership out of 225 Main Street.
Sorta validates LHA's persistent jeremiads about how backward amateurs

seem
to him. How much nicer if there were an "Annual Future Systems Issue".

73, de Hans, K0HB

Is it really too much to have one issue out of 12 address vintage radio?

No. But every issue seems to have the same theme: vintage radio.

Afterall there are some hams to whom this is of interest either practical or
just as a window into history. Although my own interest is in new radios
and how much they can pack into how little space,

Tiny radios? May I suggest the "Tuna Tin," the "Tuna Tin Two," the
all solid state "Altoids Tin?" More recently we've had the film can
antenna tuner and the batteryless "Tic-Tac" diode receiver.

the vintage issue is a
nice relaxing look at the past.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

You might even enjoy CQ's calendar with vintage equipment photos.

Brian

Len Over 21 December 20th 03 09:13 PM

In article , (N2EY)
writes:

In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
[...]

Such is forbidden!

You need no consensus. You KNOW the true way.

All else are ignorant, incapable of the correct decisions.

It boils down to the old argument of:

"Become a ham to learn about radio"

vs.

"Learn about radio to become a ham"

NO ONE can be "interested in radio" without getting a ham
license!

Know morse and one knows all.

Otherwise, they could just do a web vote
popularity contest on every issue and wouldn't need Directors ... the
staff could handle the whole thing ...

And if that vote runs opposite to what you think is "the right thing"?

I wasn't advocating a popularity contest ... just saying that if nobody in
"leadership" has the cajones and good judgement to make the right call,
then it might as well devolve to that ...

They *do* have the intestinal fortitude to make the "right" call. But there's
disagreement about what that call is. There are honest people on all sides of
most disagreements.

But...you KNOW the true way already.

There can be NO disagreement then.

It sounds to me like you're saying the ARRL Directors should sometimes
go against what the majority of members say they want. Do you really
think that's a good idea?

Yes ... the leadership should, theoretically at least, have superior
knowledge,
insight, and experience and should be there to guide, not simply be a bunch
of political "yes men" to a majority who may/may not necessarily make the
best
choices in terms of what's in the best interests of ham radio long term.

Others describe the ARRL leadership as "self appointed gods of radio" who
claim
to "know what is best". And they use that description as a reason not to
join.

Gasp...you mean to imply they DON'T know what is best?!?!?

Like it or not, it's ultimately a popularity contest. And the long term is
hard
to gauge because things aren't left alone long enough. Even when they are,
there is often little agreement with what the results mean.

You need NO consensus. You KNOW.

If the bulletins and code practice were done online instead of on-air, what
would be left of W1AW?

It's a MEMORIAL station. Remember?

The whole point of W1AW is to do those things by *radio*. If we're
going to use the website for bulletins and code practice, why not rag
chewing, traffic handling, DX chasing, contesting......

I've always said that the ampr.org domain should be come a much more
integrated, vibrant part of the internet as a whole ...

But what have you *done* to make that a reality except for talking about it?

Just for starters, Carl was IN Geneva helping to get all of S25
redone. It got redone. Reality. Love it or leave it.

Some day I might hear W1AW out here 3000 or so miles away.
It doesn't reach Hawaii very well, or Alaska. Obviously us in the
west don't exist as states of the Union.

Nobody can possibly be "interested in radio" without testing for
morse code and then Acceptance of the True Way via ARRL.

LHA

Dee D. Flint December 20th 03 09:15 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Carl R. Stevenson"
writes:

But others will argue that an easier entry-level license will attract more

new
hams, and therefore more who will want to *understand radio*. After all,

isn't
education one of the B&Ps of the ARS?

It boils down to the old argument of:

"Become a ham to learn about radio"

vs.

"Learn about radio to become a ham"

What it should be and too many fail to realize is that the proper sequence
is "Learn radio basics to become a ham and then as a ham continue to learn
and increase one's expertise." It should not be one versus the other.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee D. Flint December 20th 03 09:25 PM

"Brian" wrote in message
m...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

igy.com...
Afterall there are some hams to whom this is of interest either

practical or
just as a window into history. Although my own interest is in new

radios
and how much they can pack into how little space,

Tiny radios? May I suggest the "Tuna Tin," the "Tuna Tin Two," the
all solid state "Altoids Tin?" More recently we've had the film can
antenna tuner and the batteryless "Tic-Tac" diode receiver.

Not enough features to be interesting. I want a lot more "bells &
whistles". Although now somewhat dated as other radios pack in more
features, I bought one of the earliest TS-50 radios. At the time, it was
the smallest radio around covering all the HF bands with typical user
features. However the TS-50 would be representative of what I consider to
be interesting in terms of compact size.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Steve Robeson K4CAP December 20th 03 09:29 PM

Subject: Why I Like The ARRL
From: (Len Over 21)
Date: 12/20/03 1:34 PM Central Standard Time

Going back to past technology, rebuilding and restoring, is SAFE.
Such is a known quantity. It can be explained via many existing
texts. SECURITY. No problems about learning anything new. All
can become "expert" on things made long ago without undue
struggle. Such is already-proven technology...no struggling with
unproven ideas.

Is this why we are bombarded with stories about "ADA", 1950's era RTTY
nets, and a whole plethora of what you did in NON-Amateur radio from the PAST
four decades, Lennie?

You sure haven't offered us anything new!

Old radio is SIMPLE.

So are you. Easy to see through and unlikely to ever be anything else
but...

STABILITY.

Ahhhh...Now THERE is your shortfall.

SERENITY. Self-satisfaction of "accomplishing" what has already
been done.

That would be you!

Safe. Secure. Simple. Stable. Serene. Old ways are best...

Thank God, then, that Amateur Radio hasn't been stagnant, huh, Putzman?

Steve, K4YZ

Len Over 21 December 21st 03 01:26 AM

In article om, "Dee D.
Flint" writes:

What it should be and too many fail to realize is that the proper sequence
is "Learn radio basics to become a ham and then as a ham continue to learn
and increase one's expertise." It should not be one versus the other.

The ONLY way to have an interest in radio is to get a ham license.

Nothing else matters.

Radio gods have spoken.

LHA

Phil Kane December 21st 03 03:52 AM

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 04:28:46 GMT, K HB wrote:

Have the changes of 2000 gotten us more tinkerers per unit time than

before?

What the hell are "tinkerers per unit time"? The generally accepted
language of rrap is English.

Yeah - to quote one of my favorite lines from the defunct "Amos and
Andy" TV show "speak to the man in Algebra, Andy"

Perhaps you can rephrase the question in the stone-furlong-fortnight
system of measurement. Perhaps it needs a Yaenkel coordinate transform
from reality to surreality.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane