Old January 13th 04, 05:24 PM
Dave Heil

Leo wrote:

- she deserves to be addressed by her call sign if she so chooses - I
assume that in Texas, she may have it on her vehicle licence plate
too!

She can use it any time she likes. I'm not required to use it.

- no one other than the FCC has the right to prevent or censor her
use of it in any way (say, this might be the first legitimate use of
the 'Free Speech' thing here on the group!) Would those who refuse to
spell out her dreaded call here in the group refuse to say it on the
air as well? Jeez, seek help, your inhibitions just might be taking
over your life!

Sure, I'd be happy not to use Kim's call on the air. If I hear Kim on
the air, I'll be happy to tune right by. If she calls me, I'm not
required to respond.

- if Kim interprets the intentional omittance of her callsign from
newsgroup posts as disrespectful towards her personally, then she and
I have something in common - so would I!

Please point out the requirement for anyone posting here to use Kim's
callsign.

- Kim is definitely braver than me - I choose not to use my call sign
on the Usenet groups, to limit the number of crazies that have access
to my snail mail info, where she is willing to deal head on with
whomever, whenever in defense of her rights as detailed above.

Well, "Leo", maybe you have an offensive call; maybe you don't. It is
your perogative to keep us in the dark.

Dave K8MN
Old January 13th 04, 11:08 PM
Leo

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:24:42 GMT, Dave Heil
wrote:

Leo wrote:

- she deserves to be addressed by her call sign if she so chooses - I
assume that in Texas, she may have it on her vehicle licence plate
too!

She can use it any time she likes. I'm not required to use it.

Absolutely not. But she still deserves to be addressed by it if she
so chooses (it would be kinda hard to QSO with Kim without using it!)
You are of course free to refrain from using it if you choose - but it
would be rude to do so in a manner that is intentionally designed to
discriminate against or annoy the holder of the call. Wouldn't it?
You bet.

Common courtesy cannot be mandated, Dave. Just expected.

- no one other than the FCC has the right to prevent or censor her
use of it in any way (say, this might be the first legitimate use of
the 'Free Speech' thing here on the group!) Would those who refuse to
spell out her dreaded call here in the group refuse to say it on the
air as well? Jeez, seek help, your inhibitions just might be taking
over your life!

Sure, I'd be happy not to use Kim's call on the air. If I hear Kim on
the air, I'll be happy to tune right by. If she calls me, I'm not
required to respond.

Now that's a friendly and considerate thing to do! The True Spirit Of
Amateur Radio right there.......

And all because of a call sign? Really. That's one scary call sign,
huh? Wow.

- if Kim interprets the intentional omittance of her callsign from
newsgroup posts as disrespectful towards her personally, then she and
I have something in common - so would I!

Please point out the requirement for anyone posting here to use Kim's
callsign.

The point was the omission of just W5TIT's call sign in the list of
all the other calls, Dave. That would not be the courteous thing to
do. Revising the list so that only first nams were listed, removing
the problem of the 'inappropriate' call, would be.

Not the required thing, Dave - the courteous thing. Considerate, even
- like the Amateur's Code says:

"CONSIDERATE...never knowingly operates in such a way as to lessen the
pleasure of others."

You can read the whole thing if you like at the following address:

http://www.arrl.org/acode.html

Friendly is in there too. Worth a read sometime.

- Kim is definitely braver than me - I choose not to use my call sign
on the Usenet groups, to limit the number of crazies that have access
to my snail mail info, where she is willing to deal head on with
whomever, whenever in defense of her rights as detailed above.

Well, "Leo", maybe you have an offensive call; maybe you don't. It is
your perogative to keep us in the dark.

Thanks!

Personally, I don't suffer from some Freudian thing that causes me to
find call signs offensive. People can be offfensive, but not call
signs - it's just a license number, Dave......

Dave K8MN

73, Leo

Old January 14th 04, 01:27 AM
Dee D. Flint

wrote:

Leo wrote:

- she deserves to be addressed by her call sign if she so chooses - I
assume that in Texas, she may have it on her vehicle licence plate
too!

She can use it any time she likes. I'm not required to use it.

Absolutely not. But she still deserves to be addressed by it if she
so chooses (it would be kinda hard to QSO with Kim without using it!)
You are of course free to refrain from using it if you choose - but it
would be rude to do so in a manner that is intentionally designed to
discriminate against or annoy the holder of the call. Wouldn't it?
You bet.

Actually it is quite easy to QSO someone without using their call sign.
Except when 3rd party traffic is involved, the FCC rules only require that
we give our own call on the air. We do not have to give the other
station's. For example in working a pileup, we throw in our call. The DX
station manages to pick it out of the mess, responds, and gives a report.
We repeat our call sign and give our report. Many times we do not say the
DX station's call just to keep things moving.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old January 14th 04, 01:53 AM
Leo

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:27:42 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

Good point, Dee - I'm not a contester, and was unaware of this mode of
operation. I'm more familiar with the one-on-one ragchew session, or
the 'net' scenario, where you identify the particular station that you
want to speak to, and go from there.

Now, if we can convince these two that Texas is DX from West Virginia,
maybe we can get them talking!

73, Leo

.. .

Old January 14th 04, 02:04 AM
Leo

Revision to Post:

Um, operator error - looks like I started typing on the wrong line,
just under Dee's header - this made the post look like it came from
Dee. (It also looks like Dee is replying to Dee......that ain't right
either )

Fixed header and post below - sorry, Dee!

73, Leo

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:53:13 GMT, Leo wrote:

Good point, Dee - I'm not a contester, and was unaware of this mode of
operation. I'm more familiar with the one-on-one ragchew session, or
the 'net' scenario, where you identify the particular station that you
want to speak to, and go from there.

Now, if we can convince these two that Texas is DX from West Virginia,
maybe we can get them talking!

73, Leo

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:27:42 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

. ..

Old January 14th 04, 02:20 AM
Dee D. Flint

No problem. Anyway just to continue, there are other occasions that people
don't give both call signs. Take a net for example. The individuals in the
net may end up never stating the net control's call sign. For example, I
might finish my turn and say "Back to net control, this is N8UZE". It
varies depending on the customs of that particular net. However, in a rag
chew, it would be difficult to completely avoid the other station's call
sign. You will probably say it at least once just to insure that you have
it correct.

I find the constant repetition of both call signs that some people do a bit
irritating actually. Once I've established the contact in case of a rag
chew, I simply use the person's name and then give my own ID as required
under the 10 minute rule. If I've got someone longwinded or am working CW,
I'll give mine each time I turn it over to them just in case they run long
enough that I might not make the 10 minute ID.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

"Leo" wrote in message
Revision to Post:

Um, operator error - looks like I started typing on the wrong line,
just under Dee's header - this made the post look like it came from
Dee. (It also looks like Dee is replying to Dee......that ain't right
either )

Fixed header and post below - sorry, Dee!

73, Leo

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:53:13 GMT, Leo wrote:

Good point, Dee - I'm not a contester, and was unaware of this mode of
operation. I'm more familiar with the one-on-one ragchew session, or
the 'net' scenario, where you identify the particular station that you
want to speak to, and go from there.

Now, if we can convince these two that Texas is DX from West Virginia,
maybe we can get them talking!

73, Leo

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:27:42 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

. ..

Old January 14th 04, 11:51 AM
Brian

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
Leo wrote:

- she deserves to be addressed by her call sign if she so chooses - I
assume that in Texas, she may have it on her vehicle licence plate
too!

She can use it any time she likes. I'm not required to use it.

- no one other than the FCC has the right to prevent or censor her
use of it in any way (say, this might be the first legitimate use of
the 'Free Speech' thing here on the group!) Would those who refuse to
spell out her dreaded call here in the group refuse to say it on the
air as well? Jeez, seek help, your inhibitions just might be taking
over your life!

Sure, I'd be happy not to use Kim's call on the air. If I hear Kim on
the air, I'll be happy to tune right by. If she calls me, I'm not
required to respond.

I'm sure you'd rather just respond to French out-of-banders on 6M.
Old January 14th 04, 02:39 PM
Mike Coslo

Leo wrote:
Revision to Post:

Um, operator error - looks like I started typing on the wrong line,
just under Dee's header - this made the post look like it came from
Dee. (It also looks like Dee is replying to Dee......that ain't right
either

HOWL!!!!! Looks like the thread is not dead after all, Leo! 8^). It has
just mutated into another version of the never-ending debate of Kim's
callsign.

So I think that we can come to the inescapable conclusion that if Ham
radio was invented today, it would consist mostly of debating the
relative merits of the callsign W5TIT.

So be it.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 14th 04, 04:27 PM
Mike Coslo

Leo wrote:
Hmmm - Mike, you have raised a couple of good points there

LOL! es 73, Leo

Good one, Leo!

- Mike KB3EIA -