RadioBanter

-   -   Bookmark for Santa (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27200-bookmark-santa.html)

KØHB January 6th 04 07:59 PM

Bookmark for Santa

I'm in love.....

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products...7800/index.htm

.....or maybe in lust.

Mike Coslo January 6th 04 09:07 PM

KØHB wrote:
I'm in love.....

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products...7800/index.htm

....or maybe in lust.

a Homeresque: mmmmmmmmm....ICOM......drool...

What a beautiful piece of equipment!!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Brian January 6th 04 10:48 PM

"KØHB" wrote in message thlink.net...
I'm in love.....

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products...7800/index.htm

....or maybe in lust.

Wowee!

I Like Ike(com)!

Steven R. Adell - KF2TI January 6th 04 11:27 PM

In article , =20
says...
"K=D8HB" wrote in message news:PsEKb.40121$Pg1=

I'm in love.....
=20
http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products...7800/index.htm
=20
....or maybe in lust.

=20
Wowee!
=20
I Like Ike(com)!
=20

And a Wowee price $9995.00 (discounted) KJI Electronics

Dave Heil January 7th 04 04:28 AM

"Steven R. Adell - KF2TI" wrote:

In article ,
says...
"KØHB" wrote in message thlink.net...
I'm in love.....

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products...7800/index.htm

....or maybe in lust.

Wowee!

I Like Ike(com)!

And a Wowee price $9995.00 (discounted) KJI Electronics

I'll just keep slogging along with my ancient Orion. For the price of a
'7800, I could own three Orions.

Dave K8MN

N2EY January 7th 04 11:30 AM

In article k.net, "KØHB"
writes:

I'm in love.....

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products...7800/index.htm

....or maybe in lust.

"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...."

73 de Jim, N2EY

garigue January 7th 04 05:25 PM

Wait a second Dave ....you don't understand ... that 7800's display is in
color and the Orion is in 50's BW I believe .... That in it self explains
the price difference.

God Bless 73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa..

Brian January 7th 04 07:39 PM

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
"Steven R. Adell - KF2TI" wrote:

In article ,
says...
"KØHB" wrote in message thlink.net...
I'm in love.....

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products...7800/index.htm

....or maybe in lust.

Wowee!

I Like Ike(com)!

And a Wowee price $9995.00 (discounted) KJI Electronics

I'll just keep slogging along with my ancient Orion. For the price of a
'7800, I could own three Orions.

Dave K8MN

But with the IC7800 you can save on forklift rental fees.

Dave Heil January 7th 04 11:41 PM

garigue wrote:

Wait a second Dave ....you don't understand ... that 7800's display is in
color and the Orion is in 50's BW I believe .... That in it self explains
the price difference.

Well, Tom, there you go. Don't forget those two additional 32-bit
processors too. Color and the 2 additional processors cost an
additional six grand. But wait a minute--Icom's soon-to-come-lately
7800 has fewer roofing filters and one less band stacking register per
band. I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

Drop by sometime. I'm only 35 miles west of Waynesburg.

Dave K8MN

Bert Craig January 8th 04 12:02 AM

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
"Steven R. Adell - KF2TI" wrote:

In article ,
says...
"KØHB" wrote in message

thlink.net...
I'm in love.....

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products...7800/index.htm

....or maybe in lust.

Wowee!

I Like Ike(com)!

And a Wowee price $9995.00 (discounted) KJI Electronics

I'll just keep slogging along with my ancient Orion. For the price of a
'7800, I could own three Orions.

Dave K8MN

I believe that's the beauty of the Orion, it's never "ancient." The latest
upgrade is just a download away. I feel for the poor slob who finally breaks
down and buys a '7800 just before the '7800 Pro or Pro II comes out.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

KØHB January 8th 04 01:05 AM

"Bert Craig" wrote

I feel for the poor slob who finally breaks
down and buys a '7800 just before the '7800
Pro or Pro II comes out.

First of all, I don't think he'd be poor, and why are you calling me a slob?

I'm placing my order.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Bert Craig January 8th 04 01:13 AM

"KØHB" wrote in message
link.net...

"Bert Craig" wrote

I feel for the poor slob who finally breaks
down and buys a '7800 just before the '7800
Pro or Pro II comes out.

First of all, I don't think he'd be poor, and why are you calling me a

slob?

I'm placing my order.

73, de Hans, K0HB

I stand corrected, Hans...and still lol. ;-)

73 de Bert
WA2SI

Dave Heil January 8th 04 04:57 AM

Bert Craig wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
"Steven R. Adell - KF2TI" wrote:

In article ,
says...
"KØHB" wrote in message

thlink.net...
I'm in love.....

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products...7800/index.htm

....or maybe in lust.

Wowee!

I Like Ike(com)!

And a Wowee price $9995.00 (discounted) KJI Electronics

I'll just keep slogging along with my ancient Orion. For the price of a
'7800, I could own three Orions.

Dave K8MN

I believe that's the beauty of the Orion, it's never "ancient." The latest
upgrade is just a download away. I feel for the poor slob who finally breaks
down and buys a '7800 just before the '7800 Pro or Pro II comes out.

TT just keeps making it better and better. The rig is now about eight
months old and I've downloaded about ten firmware releases in that time.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 8th 04 05:06 AM

"KØHB" wrote:

"Bert Craig" wrote

I feel for the poor slob who finally breaks
down and buys a '7800 just before the '7800
Pro or Pro II comes out.

First of all, I don't think he'd be poor, and why are you calling me a slob?

I'm placing my order.

*Free Advice*

*No strings attached*

*Absolutely FREE*

Call Ten-Tec and have 'em ship you an Orion. If you don't fall in love
with it within the first thirty days, return it for a full refund (less
shipping charges). You can buy a fancy new four-wheeler with the extra
change you'd spend on the '7800.

Dave K8MN

Bert Craig January 8th 04 09:41 AM

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
"KØHB" wrote:

"Bert Craig" wrote

I feel for the poor slob who finally breaks
down and buys a '7800 just before the '7800
Pro or Pro II comes out.

First of all, I don't think he'd be poor, and why are you calling me a

slob?

I'm placing my order.

*Free Advice*

*No strings attached*

*Absolutely FREE*

Call Ten-Tec and have 'em ship you an Orion. If you don't fall in love
with it within the first thirty days, return it for a full refund (less
shipping charges). You can buy a fancy new four-wheeler with the extra
change you'd spend on the '7800.

Dave K8MN

Not to mention, support a product made in the USA.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

KØHB January 8th 04 03:17 PM

"Bert Craig" wrote

Not to mention, support a product made in the USA.

Ya mean like an AMC Gremlin, or an MFJ (anything they make), or Budweiser
beer?

I'll do my part for the hillbilly economy and support Jack Daniels. You and
Dave can support TenTec.

73, de Hans, K0HB

N2EY January 8th 04 05:48 PM

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

My Southgate Type 7 has *two* real analog meters. Nice
easy-to-read round 3-1/2 inch ones.

Also Made In USA.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Brian January 9th 04 01:11 PM

(N2EY) wrote in message . com...
Dave Heil wrote in message ...
I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

My Southgate Type 7 has *two* real analog meters. Nice
easy-to-read round 3-1/2 inch ones.

Also Made In USA.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Now digital is not as good as analog? digital is a mere simulation?

Bert Craig January 9th 04 05:31 PM

(N2EY) wrote in message . com...
Dave Heil wrote in message ...
I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

My Southgate Type 7 has *two* real analog meters. Nice
easy-to-read round 3-1/2 inch ones.

Also Made In USA.

73 de Jim, N2EY

I feel likewise, there's just something about an analog meter.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

Len Over 21 January 10th 04 08:34 PM

In article ,
(Brian) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
.com...
Dave Heil wrote in message

I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

My Southgate Type 7 has *two* real analog meters. Nice
easy-to-read round 3-1/2 inch ones.

Also Made In USA.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Now digital is not as good as analog? digital is a mere simulation?

Brian, "real" radios are ANALOG.

Real he-men morsemen don't use digital.

Digital is for techno-weebs who "don't have any interest in radio!"

Dave (who is interested in radio because he learned morse) can
download FIRMWARE for his Orion!

Analog morsemen are high tech, "interested in radio!"

LHA

What the heck is a "Southgate Type 7?"

Why is it named after a community in southern California?

Why doesn't Jimmie have a Type 8? Can't he download FIRMWARE
to improve it?

Did he ever have a Type 6?

Does he need a mailing address for the Jan Smithers Fan Club?

So many questions...

lha

Len Over 21 January 10th 04 08:34 PM

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

I believe that's the beauty of the Orion, it's never "ancient." The latest
upgrade is just a download away. I feel for the poor slob who finally

breaks
down and buys a '7800 just before the '7800 Pro or Pro II comes out.

TT just keeps making it better and better. The rig is now about eight
months old and I've downloaded about ten firmware releases in that time.

"FIRMWARE releases?!?"

Gosh, you must be equipped with a Star Trek Transporter! :-)

Oh, you mean SOFTWARE updates, right?

Let's see, that's more than one per month.

I would think that Orion could have stabilized the programming by
now. No new band changes have happened in eight months... :-)

Gosh, Orion must "not be interested in radio" if they can't get
their software routines stabilized by now...

LHA

N2EY January 12th 04 01:20 AM

In article ,
(Bert Craig) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
.com...
Dave Heil wrote in message

I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

My Southgate Type 7 has *two* real analog meters. Nice
easy-to-read round 3-1/2 inch ones.

Also Made In USA.

73 de Jim, N2EY

I feel likewise, there's just something about an analog meter.

There's a reason for that. In many applications, analog displays are
preferred. For example, when adjustment for minimum or maximum
is needed, or when a quick glance is all you can spare.

Remember when carmakers started making digital speedometers - and
then found drivers didn;t like them because it took longer to get a reading?

Some of us even prefer an analog dial. Hopwever, my favorite mode is
digital.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dave Heil January 13th 04 05:17 PM

"KØHB" wrote:

"Bert Craig" wrote

Not to mention, support a product made in the USA.

Ya mean like an AMC Gremlin, or an MFJ (anything they make), or Budweiser
beer?

No, more like a Dodge Viper, a GE refrigerator or a Rolling Rock beer.

I'll do my part for the hillbilly economy and support Jack Daniels. You and
Dave can support TenTec.

I'm getting something which lasts and which produces no unpleasant after
effects. It also costs several magnitudes less than the '7800.

Dave K8MN (Don't feel obligated to use my callsign)

Dave Heil January 13th 04 05:18 PM

N2EY wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

My Southgate Type 7 has *two* real analog meters. Nice
easy-to-read round 3-1/2 inch ones.

Also Made In USA.

Do you refer to it as your (get ready for it) two meter rig?

Dave K8MN

Bert Craig January 13th 04 05:26 PM

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
"KØHB" wrote:

"Bert Craig" wrote

Not to mention, support a product made in the USA.

Ya mean like an AMC Gremlin, or an MFJ (anything they make), or

Budweiser
beer?

No, more like a Dodge Viper, a GE refrigerator or a Rolling Rock beer.

Well said, Dave. On a more personal AR level...more like an Elecraft K2/100,
a Palstar AT1500C transmatch, and...oops, I don't drink. hihi

I'll do my part for the hillbilly economy and support Jack Daniels. You

and
Dave can support TenTec.

I'm getting something which lasts and which produces no unpleasant after
effects. It also costs several magnitudes less than the '7800.

Here here.

Dave Heil January 13th 04 05:33 PM

Len Over 21 wrote:

Brian, "real" radios are ANALOG.

When this comes back to bit you down the line, reflect upon the fact
that only you have made such a statement here.

Real he-men morsemen don't use digital.

How would you know, kindly old gent?

Digital is for techno-weebs who "don't have any interest in radio!"

Dave (who is interested in radio because he learned morse) can
download FIRMWARE for his Orion!

You never quite get things right. Dave is interested in radio. Dave
has been a licensed radio amateur for four decades. Dave knows morse.
Dave can and does download firmware for his Orion. You too can download
Orion firmware but it won't do much for you unless you buy an Orion.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil January 13th 04 05:49 PM

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

I believe that's the beauty of the Orion, it's never "ancient." The latest
upgrade is just a download away. I feel for the poor slob who finally

breaks
down and buys a '7800 just before the '7800 Pro or Pro II comes out.

TT just keeps making it better and better. The rig is now about eight
months old and I've downloaded about ten firmware releases in that time.

"FIRMWARE releases?!?"

Yes, firmware releases.

Gosh, you must be equipped with a Star Trek Transporter! :-)

No, just a PC with an internet connection.

Oh, you mean SOFTWARE updates, right?

No, I don't. I mean firmware updates.

Let's see, that's more than one per month.

- Version 1.325 - initial release
03/26/03 Version 1.326
03/27/03 Version 1.327
03/28/03 Version 1.328
03/31/03 Version 1.329
04/01/03 Version 1.330
04/02/03 Version 1.331
04/03/04 Version 1.332
04/04/03 Version 1.333
04/06/03 Version 1.334
04/07/03 Version 1.335
04/08/03 Version 1.336
04/10/03 Version 1.337
04/11/03 - 04/13/03 Version 1.338
04/14/03 - 04/16/03 Version 1.339
04/26/03-05/06/03 Version 1.340
05/12/03-05/14/03 Version 1.341
05/19/03-05/22/03 Version 1.342
05/27/03 Version 1.343
06/03/03 Version 1.344
06/06/03 Version 1.345
06/11/03 Version 1.346
06/13/03 Version 1.347
06/25/03 Version 1.348
07/08/03 Version 1.349
07/10/03 VERSION 1.350
07/29/03 Version 1.351
08/07/03 Version 1.352
08/11/03 Version 1.353
08/12/03 Version 1.354
08/15/03 Version 1.355
08/19/03 Version 1.356
08/21/03 Version 1.357
08/22/03 Version 1.358
08/25/03 Version 1.359
09/12/03 Version 1.360
09/16/03 Version 1.361
09/25/03 Version 1.362
10/06/03 Version 1.363
10/22/03 Version 1.364
10/23/03 Version 1.365
11/14/03 Version 1.366
12/19/03 Version 1.367

Well, it certainly looks like more than one per month, doesn't it old
fellow?
Interestingly, the manufacturer lists the above list under "Firmware
Revision History".

I would think that Orion could have stabilized the programming by
now. No new band changes have happened in eight months... :-)

Really? I seem to recall adding 60m capability to the Orion. Weren't
you paying attention? Were you under the impression that "band changes"
were the only things which could be modified in the Orion?

Gosh, Orion must "not be interested in radio" if they can't get
their software routines stabilized by now...

"Orion" isn't? It would seem that the Ten-Tec folks would show their
lack of interest by not issuing any updates at all. You may resume your
nap, Leonard.

Dave K8MN

KØHB January 13th 04 06:16 PM

"Dave Heil" wrote

No, more like a Dodge Viper, a GE refrigerator or a Rolling Rock beer.

If you'd drink Rolling Rock beer, then you'd probably drive an AMC
Gremlin, wear a badge laden jumpsuit to a hamfest, and date Moms Mabley.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Dave Heil January 13th 04 06:25 PM

"KØHB" wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote

No, more like a Dodge Viper, a GE refrigerator or a Rolling Rock beer.

If you'd drink Rolling Rock beer, then you'd probably drive an AMC
Gremlin, wear a badge laden jumpsuit to a hamfest, and date Moms Mabley.

C'mon, Hans. They don't make Gremlins any longer, I've never parachuted
into the Dayton fleamarket and Moms Mabley has been dead for years.

In honesty, I did buy a Chevy Vega back in '73 (much to my regret), have
worn a navy blue, velvet cap with scrambled eggs on the bill and my call
embroidered on the front (a gift from old salt K3FK) and I once went out
with a female jailer from Savannah who kept talking about cuffs,
shackles and body slams.

Those things aside, the Orion is built in the U.S. and is one fine
transceiver.

Dave K8MN

KØHB January 13th 04 06:57 PM

"Dave Heil" wrote

Those things aside, the Orion is built in the U.S. and is one fine
transceiver.

Yes it is, and yes it is. Did you see ON4UN's review in the current
NCJ? Very complimentary.

But Rolling Rock beer ranks about .001 on a scale of 1 to 10, where "4"
is "barely drinkable". (Yes, that means it needs to improve 1000-fold
be be a "1".)

73, de Hans, K0HB

Dave Heil January 14th 04 12:46 AM

"KØHB" wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote

Those things aside, the Orion is built in the U.S. and is one fine
transceiver.

Yes it is, and yes it is. Did you see ON4UN's review in the current
NCJ? Very complimentary.

It showed on the TT reflector and I saw it there. I also find it quite
satisfying to wish that the transceiver would do something, to send
those wishes to TT and to have them incorporate them in a firmware
release.

But Rolling Rock beer ranks about .001 on a scale of 1 to 10, where "4"
is "barely drinkable". (Yes, that means it needs to improve 1000-fold
be be a "1".)

Actually, aside from a couple of Karjalainen brews in Helsinki in
October, my yearly beer intake is about four bottles. I mostly stick to
vodka or with Jack Daniels and branch water.

Dave K8MN

N2EY January 14th 04 04:48 AM

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

N2EY wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message

I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

My Southgate Type 7 has *two* real analog meters. Nice
easy-to-read round 3-1/2 inch ones.

Also Made In USA.

Do you refer to it as your (get ready for it) two meter rig?

Nope. That's a Heath HW-2036. Only has one meter - analog.

But my shack clock is digital. It's a Tymeter 24-hour one, made from
the parts of three junkers more than 15 years ago.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dave Heil January 14th 04 09:53 PM

N2EY wrote:

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

N2EY wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message

I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

My Southgate Type 7 has *two* real analog meters. Nice
easy-to-read round 3-1/2 inch ones.

Also Made In USA.

Do you refer to it as your (get ready for it) two meter rig?

Nope. That's a Heath HW-2036. Only has one meter - analog.

I'm getting confoozed! Your two meter rig is a one meter rig?

I remember the '2036 and used to own one. I spent a lot of time
fiddling with those VCO coils in the thing. It belongs to a Lebanese
ham in Sierra Leone now. He's probably cursing me every time he has to
fiddle with those coils.

But my shack clock is digital. It's a Tymeter 24-hour one, made from
the parts of three junkers more than 15 years ago.

Those things are developing some nostalgia value these days.

Dave K8MN

N2EY January 15th 04 02:48 AM

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

N2EY wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message
I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

My Southgate Type 7 has *two* real analog meters. Nice
easy-to-read round 3-1/2 inch ones.

Also Made In USA.

Do you refer to it as your (get ready for it) two meter rig?

Nope. That's a Heath HW-2036. Only has one meter - analog.

I'm getting confoozed! Your two meter rig is a one meter rig?

Affirmative.

I remember the '2036 and used to own one. I spent a lot of time
fiddling with those VCO coils in the thing. It belongs to a Lebanese
ham in Sierra Leone now. He's probably cursing me every time he has to
fiddle with those coils.

Mine may need a new mike. Ironic.

But my shack clock is digital. It's a Tymeter 24-hour one, made from
the parts of three junkers more than 15 years ago.

Those things are developing some nostalgia value these days.

In some ways clock technology has gone backwards. I remember when almost all
clocks ran on synchronous motors, like my Tymeter. The power co. kept track of
the Hz and would keep the total number of cycles-per-year pretty dern accurate.
I found that all my motor-clocks would stay in step with WWV give or take a
second or to for as long as the power was on.

Then came "digital quartz technology" - and no two clocks read alike. Set them
all to the same time and in a few months they're all over the place. The newer
computers actually seem to keep worse time than the older ones...

But my Tymeter grinds on, flipping the drums.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Brian January 15th 04 04:02 AM

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
N2EY wrote:

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

N2EY wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message

I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

My Southgate Type 7 has *two* real analog meters. Nice
easy-to-read round 3-1/2 inch ones.

Also Made In USA.

Do you refer to it as your (get ready for it) two meter rig?

Nope. That's a Heath HW-2036. Only has one meter - analog.

I'm getting confoozed! Your two meter rig is a one meter rig?

I remember the '2036 and used to own one. I spent a lot of time
fiddling with those VCO coils in the thing. It belongs to a Lebanese
ham in Sierra Leone now. He's probably cursing me every time he has to
fiddle with those coils.

I hope he's not trying to get back at America because of you.

Mike Coslo January 15th 04 01:13 PM

Brian wrote:
Dave Heil wrote in message ...

N2EY wrote:

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

N2EY wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message

I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

My Southgate Type 7 has *two* real analog meters. Nice
easy-to-read round 3-1/2 inch ones.

Also Made In USA.

Do you refer to it as your (get ready for it) two meter rig?

Nope. That's a Heath HW-2036. Only has one meter - analog.

I'm getting confoozed! Your two meter rig is a one meter rig?

I remember the '2036 and used to own one. I spent a lot of time
fiddling with those VCO coils in the thing. It belongs to a Lebanese
ham in Sierra Leone now. He's probably cursing me every time he has to
fiddle with those coils.

I hope he's not trying to get back at America because of you.

But what does all this have to do with Kim's callsign?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Larry Roll K3LT January 17th 04 03:21 AM

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Actually, aside from a couple of Karjalainen brews in Helsinki in
October, my yearly beer intake is about four bottles. I mostly stick to
vodka or with Jack Daniels and branch water.

Dave K8MN

Dave:

OK, I give up -- what the Sam Hill is "branch water?" I heard it mentioned
a few times on the old TV program "Dallas," when J.R. Ewing used to order
a "bourbon and branch" at the Ahwl (Oil) Baron's Club. Is it water that
dripped off a tree branch during the rain, or did it come from a branch
tributary of some particular river, or what? Or is it just another way of
saying "Club Soda," as I suspect?

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry Roll K3LT January 17th 04 03:21 AM

In article t, "KØHB"
writes:

No, more like a Dodge Viper, a GE refrigerator or a Rolling Rock beer.

If you'd drink Rolling Rock beer, then you'd probably drive an AMC
Gremlin, wear a badge laden jumpsuit to a hamfest, and date Moms Mabley.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Hansl:

I drink Corona, drive an '03 Toyota Corolla LE, wear a pair of Dockers and a
pullover shirt to hamfests (no badges except my ARRL OBS Call Sign Badge), date
a single Mom not named "Mabley," and will probably never own an ICOM IC-7800
for the simple fact that with the 10 kilobucks I could buy an IC-746, a tower,
a big antenna farm, and lots of other stuff, and still have a chunk of change
left over! If I ever win the Powerball Lottery, I still don't know if I'd
invest in a 7800, although there would be little reason not to under those
circumstances!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Len Over 21 January 17th 04 04:23 AM

In article , (N2EY)
writes:

Then came "digital quartz technology" - and no two clocks read alike.

You have to read the instructions on setting the time.

Set them
all to the same time and in a few months they're all over the place. The newer
computers actually seem to keep worse time than the older ones...

Tsk, tsk, tsk...at least 30 USA firms sell "radio clocks" that check
themselves agains WWVB every day. EXACT time to the second.
Battery powered. They even correct for Leap Years and the Leap
Second.

But my Tymeter grinds on, flipping the drums.

Until the AC power goes out.

Do you flip your drums when the power goes out?

Or do you fire up the "emergency rig" and cueso for the "accurate
time" in morse?

LHA / WMD

Len Over 21 January 17th 04 04:23 AM

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , Dave Heil

writes:

I believe that's the beauty of the Orion, it's never "ancient." The

latest
upgrade is just a download away. I feel for the poor slob who finally
breaks
down and buys a '7800 just before the '7800 Pro or Pro II comes out.

TT just keeps making it better and better. The rig is now about eight
months old and I've downloaded about ten firmware releases in that time.

"FIRMWARE releases?!?"

Yes, firmware releases.

Gosh, you must be equipped with a Star Trek Transporter! :-)

No, just a PC with an internet connection.

Oh, you mean SOFTWARE updates, right?

No, I don't. I mean firmware updates.

Get it straight, Herr Robust.

"Firmware" is hardware.

There is NO computer system anywhere in the world that will "download
firmware."

[...]

All that many updates?

Tells me they didn't know what they were doing to begin with, or just
shoved software and hardware out the door before they had finished
testing the firmware and software.

I would think that Orion could have stabilized the programming by
now. No new band changes have happened in eight months... :-)

Really? I seem to recall adding 60m capability to the Orion. Weren't
you paying attention? Were you under the impression that "band changes"
were the only things which could be modified in the Orion?

Apparently it can also TRANSPORT material things as they did on
Star Trek.

Perhaps they should have beamed up some smarts to release the
RIGHT code the first time...

Gosh, Orion must "not be interested in radio" if they can't get
their software routines stabilized by now...

"Orion" isn't? It would seem that the Ten-Tec folks would show their
lack of interest by not issuing any updates at all. You may resume your
nap, Leonard.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Oh, my, you drone on busy prussian bee. It's like listening to a
lecture on 1800s science...all done by amateurs.

Nothing new, same old "landfill" remarks from the prussian.

LHA / WMD