Old January 11th 04, 01:12 AM
DeLores Lamb, KD7ZAE

Default How long is element 1 good for

Someone is telling me if you pass the 5wpm code test today (element 1)
along with element 2 (or even separately), that the element 1 portion
is only good for 365 days. I have tried to read part 97 but it is
confusing. It used to be that you always kept credit for any element
taken. So in 3 years if you wanted to upgrade to General, your
element 1 and 2 would be good. What's the story?

Chris, N7FNB
Old January 11th 04, 01:59 AM
Dee D. Flint

"DeLores Lamb, KD7ZAE" wrote in message
Someone is telling me if you pass the 5wpm code test today (element 1)
along with element 2 (or even separately), that the element 1 portion
is only good for 365 days. I have tried to read part 97 but it is
confusing. It used to be that you always kept credit for any element
taken. So in 3 years if you wanted to upgrade to General, your
element 1 and 2 would be good. What's the story?

Chris, N7FNB

A CSCE (Certificate of Successful Completion of Element) is only good for
upgrading for 365 days no matter what. However, if you pass your Technician
test and receive a Tech license, that is good for credit for Element 2 as
long as you keep the license current (or within the grace period also I
believe) even though the CSCE has expired.

Here's how the code test works:

CSCE for Element 1 - good for upgrade credit for 365 days but good for the
Tech with HF operating privileges as long as your Tech license is valid and
you keep that CSCE to prove that you passed the element.

So now let's look at your hypothetical case:

Today you pass the Element 1 (code) and Element 2 (Tech written). You will
receive CSCEs for both. Your license arrives within a few days and off you
go happily operating. Now 3 years pass. Your CSCEs will not be good for
upgrade credit BUT the Technician license will still give you credit for
Element 2. You will not have to retake Element 2. However, you will have
to retake Element 1 because your upgrade credit has expired (it remains
legal for you to use your HF privileges even so). Thus to get a General
license, you will have to present your Tech license, pass the Element 3 test
and re-pass the Element 1 test. Now lets suppose you decide to go to Extra
after you get your General. All that you will have to do is present your
General license (as long as it is in good standing) and pass the Element 4
test.

I hope this helps.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old January 11th 04, 02:21 AM
DeLores Lamb, KD7ZAE

My question is, if you have elements 1 and 2, even after a year has
passed after taking element 1, do you still have the "novice" HF
privileges of the Tech +HF, or do you have to take element 1 every 365
days to keep the privilege, even if you don't upgrade to General.

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:59:41 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

.. .

Old January 11th 04, 02:30 AM
Dee D. Flint

"DeLores Lamb, KD7ZAE" wrote in message
My question is, if you have elements 1 and 2, even after a year has
passed after taking element 1, do you still have the "novice" HF
privileges of the Tech +HF, or do you have to take element 1 every 365
days to keep the privilege, even if you don't upgrade to General.

Your Novice privileges are good forever so long as you do not let your
license lapse. You do NOT have to retest to keep the privileges. You do
have to keep a copy of the CSCE in your file even though it has expired in
case you ever need to prove it.

To use the CSCE as credit for the General upgrade, you have to upgrade
within 365 days. If you do not upgrade in 365 days, you will have to retest
on code for the General.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old January 11th 04, 03:37 PM
Bill Sohl

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

"DeLores Lamb, KD7ZAE" wrote in message
My question is, if you have elements 1 and 2, even after a year has
passed after taking element 1, do you still have the "novice" HF
privileges of the Tech +HF, or do you have to take element 1 every 365
days to keep the privilege, even if you don't upgrade to General.

Your Novice privileges are good forever so long as you do not let your
license lapse. You do NOT have to retest to keep the privileges.

Correct.

You do
have to keep a copy of the CSCE in your file even though it has expired in
case you ever need to prove it.

Many novices may not even have their original CSCE. The FCC would
also recognize a copy of your former Novice license as proof you passed
5 wpm.

To use the CSCE as credit for the General upgrade, you have to upgrade
within 365 days. If you do not upgrade in 365 days, you will have to

retest
on code for the General.

My understanding is Novice has permanent credit for 5 wpm. No CSCE
needed if the Novice has a valid current license.

Old January 11th 04, 05:49 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
k.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

"DeLores Lamb, KD7ZAE" wrote in message
My question is, if you have elements 1 and 2, even after a year has
passed after taking element 1, do you still have the "novice" HF
privileges of the Tech +HF, or do you have to take element 1 every 365
days to keep the privilege, even if you don't upgrade to General.

Your Novice privileges are good forever so long as you do not let your
license lapse. You do NOT have to retest to keep the privileges.

Correct.

You do
have to keep a copy of the CSCE in your file even though it has expired

in
case you ever need to prove it.

Many novices may not even have their original CSCE. The FCC would
also recognize a copy of your former Novice license as proof you passed
5 wpm.

Yes that is true but I was addressing the case of someone who's first
license was a Technician. Since the the no-code Tech license became
available over a decade ago, very few people have entered the ARS through
the Novice license and since April of 2000, the issuance of new Novice
licenses was discontinued. So a lot of these people have never had a Novice
license to use as proof although it would indeed fulfill the requirements.

To use the CSCE as credit for the General upgrade, you have to upgrade
within 365 days. If you do not upgrade in 365 days, you will have to

retest
on code for the General.

My understanding is Novice has permanent credit for 5 wpm. No CSCE
needed if the Novice has a valid current license.

Yes that is true but I was only addressing the case of where all they have
is the CSCE. i.e. They never held a Novice license.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old January 11th 04, 06:57 PM
DeLores Lamb, KD7ZAE

Dee, you addressed exactly the case I had in mind, a newly licensed
Tech, who then passes element 1, and plans to upgrade to General in
the future.

Chris Lamb, N7FNB

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:49:28 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
nk.net...

gy.com...

Old January 11th 04, 09:20 PM
Robert Casey

Many novices may not even have their original CSCE. The FCC would
also recognize a copy of your former Novice license as proof you passed
5 wpm.

Yes that is true but I was addressing the case of someone who's first
license was a Technician.

If it was a tech plus, that means that they passed a 5wpm code test.
Which should also
be good. What strangely enough happened is say someone who never passed
a 5wpm
test but passed 13 or 20, doesn't get the lifetime credit. Some FCC
brearucrat writing
the rules didn't realize that he should have written "5 WPM or faster".
He might have
thught 5 was harder than 13 or something like that...

Old January 11th 04, 09:24 PM
Bert Craig

"Robert Casey" wrote in message

Many novices may not even have their original CSCE. The FCC would
also recognize a copy of your former Novice license as proof you passed
5 wpm.

Yes that is true but I was addressing the case of someone who's first
license was a Technician.

If it was a tech plus, that means that they passed a 5wpm code test.
Which should also
be good. What strangely enough happened is say someone who never passed
a 5wpm
test but passed 13 or 20, doesn't get the lifetime credit. Some FCC
brearucrat writing
the rules didn't realize that he should have written "5 WPM or faster".
He might have
thught 5 was harder than 13 or something like that...

Kinda scary, eh? Should serve as a reminder to all who repeat the "but the
FCC says..., but the FCC says..., but the FCC says..." mantra solely because
it serves their current agenda.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old January 11th 04, 09:38 PM
N2EY

In article , "DeLores Lamb, KD7ZAE"
writes:

Dee, you addressed exactly the case I had in mind, a newly licensed
Tech, who then passes element 1, and plans to upgrade to General in
the future.

Dee's information is right on the money. Unless the person wants to
have to take Element 1 again in the future, s/he should plan to upgrade
to General within 365 days.

Yes, it's odd. An expired Novice license from 1952 is good for Element 1
credit but a 366-day-old CSCE isn't. But them's the rules - for now.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

ARRL you can Kiss my $39.00 a Year Good Bye Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL Policy 32 December 1st 03 06:03 AM
GOOD NEWS-------France heat wave deaths top 14,000 Larry Roll K3LT Policy 3 October 20th 03 02:12 AM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
A good wattmeter ? Rick Frazier Equipment 9 September 17th 03 01:02 PM
Tech+ to General upgrade question N2EY Policy 5 July 6th 03 04:43 AM