Old January 29th 04, 03:38 AM
Bill Sohl

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
"Bill Sohl" wrote in message

nk.net...

The Q&As aren't going away. Better to focus effort on expanding the
Q&A pool for things like formiula calculations such that memorizing
the formula...not the answer is the better way to learn.

I think most of us agree that it would be best if FCC took back the
testing process and no longer made the Q&A pool public information.

First, even if the FCC took back the process, the questions would
end up in the public domain via internet sharing, etc.

But it's clear that's not going to happen in any foreseeable future,
for a long list of reasons. (Most of which come down to "money", as
in "FCC isn't going to spend it on tests for hams").

That's second. It just isn't going to happen because there hasn't
been any case made as to why it should. You and others
complain, but there just isn't any examples of gross abuse
or widespread problems. Are there occasional abuses, yes, but
clearly insufficient numbers to warrant even a concern on the
FCC's part.

There's also the issue that after 20 years of VECs, FCC would have
to be convinced that the system is failing, *and* that the only way
to fix it was to give the process back to FCC. Ain't gonna happen.

Agree 100%

And there's nothing to stop Son Of Bash from doing what the original
did 30 years ago.

As I said above...even easier today with the internet.

On top of all this, suppose that by some miracle FCC *did* take back
testing and test generation. Or maybe farm it out to a commercial
testing firm. What do you think a test would cost? I recall that
back in the '60s, when FCC imposed test fees on hams, the fee was
$9. Which doesn't sound like much until you adjust for inflation. So
it would probably be in the $50-100 range (or more) today. Not the kind
of thing to help our growth - particularly among young people!

Agree again.

Yet no matter how often these facts are brought up, there are calls
to end VE testing. Ain't likely to happen, folks, and even if it did you
might not be real happy with the result.

Agree yet again.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old January 26th 04, 10:47 PM
shephed

Well you people have done such a fantastic job of destroying the hobby, I
say it's time to fire up NTI (No Test International) and just finish it off.

Face it, you people killed Ham Radio, it's over.

Ham Radio, RIP

"Steve Robeson, K4CAP" wrote in message
om...
There's a lot of negativism in this group about the ARRL proposal.

While not as verbose about it, I agree that this "proposal" was
poorly thought out and does not meet any "obvious" need within Amateur
Radio. It's a W5YI-ian like effort to create something new for the
sake of sales/membership.

My "answer" is a letter to the ARRL suggesting that this was NOT
a wise idea and COULD have been made less of a surprise to the Amateur
Community by discussing it first. I'll "cc" that letter to my SM.

Other than hurl epithets and insults, is anyone else going to do
anything remotely constructive? Or is this pretty much the usual
"I-ain't-gonna-do-nuttin-but-whine-like-a-pig" RRAP rhetoric being
bantied about?

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old January 27th 04, 05:36 AM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

"shephed" wrote in message ...

Well you people have...(SNIP)

Another anonymous sniper with more antagonistic, slanderous swill
to yet slop the trough with.

Be gone, Scumbag. We already have Lennie...We DON'T need you.

Steve, K4YZ
Old January 29th 04, 01:02 AM
N8IE

"shephed" wrote in message

Well you people have...(SNIP)

Another anonymous sniper with more antagonistic, slanderous swill
to yet slop the trough with.

Be gone, Scumbag. We already have Lennie...We DON'T need you.

Steve, K4YZ

Not anon at all.
My point is very valid, NCI and their like have killed a once great hobby.
The ARRL has abandoned the traditional Ham Radio (this is a matter of
survival on their part, they know the turn Ham Radio has taken and will
travel that path to save their jobs) and soon the radio manufacturers will
press for a more open market in which to sell their wares by wanting the
elimination of testing all together.

There is no "What now", it's too late, Ham Radio is dead.
Joke all you want about CB'ers taking over, but don't too shocked when it
happens. Thanks to Fred, Steve, and the likes.

As for the rest of your post, I won't stoop to your level to reply, sorry.

---

Old January 30th 04, 11:05 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

"shephed" wrote in message

Not anon at all.
My point is very valid, NCI and their like have killed a once great hobby.

They have?

Hmmmm...I turned the radio on just as soon as I read this and
heard TONS of signals on HF and the local repeaters.

Local guys chatting about new license class just completed...

HF rocking with DX CW and SSB signals.

The ARRL has abandoned the traditional Ham Radio (this is a matter of
survival on their part, they know the turn Ham Radio has taken and will
travel that path to save their jobs) and soon the radio manufacturers will
press for a more open market in which to sell their wares by wanting the
elimination of testing all together.

And if they ONLY catered to "traditional" Ham Radio, what then?
They'd be catering to an ever-dwindling fraction of the Amateur Radio
community and THAT would be the death of their jobs!

There is no "What now", it's too late, Ham Radio is dead.
Joke all you want about CB'ers taking over, but don't too shocked when it
happens. Thanks to Fred, Steve, and the likes.

As for the rest of your post, I won't stoop to your level to reply, sorry.

You have already stooped LOWER than you think...by making
assertions that are easily disproven and are, at the very worst,
supermarket tabloid headlines.

Try again.

73

Steve, K4YZ