Old February 11th 04, 08:53 PM
Leo

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 21:32:23 +0100, "Helmut"
wrote:

sniph

This is not Dave whoever, its HELMUT here!

Anyway, greetings from Europe

They most certainly are from Europe - if you have a look at the
message headers, Helmut is posting from the ISP t-online.de, which is
located in beautiful Germany.

Vilkommen, Helmut. Angenehm!

73 de OE8SOQ

73, Leo

Old February 12th 04, 01:42 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Alun
writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in news:20040210194505.25517.00004239
:

In article , Alun
writes:

73 de Alun, N3KIP

w3rv

Anyone would try to think you were trying to get rid of me, LOL!

Independent thought must be abolished from this group.

It makes the regular natives restless and they might take up
their spears and fight against Abrams tanks...

LHA / WMD

Well, the joke's on them anyway. I could move to Canada (lovely country,
but too cold for me) and still plague them on rrap.

Move to southern California and hear about the wrap parties in the
entertainment biz. :-)

[mental picture of Zulus against Bradley Fighting Vehicles...:-) ]

LHA / WMD
Old February 13th 04, 04:25 AM
Dave Heil

Brian Kelly wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
Brian Kelly wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
Brian Kelly wrote:

You brought back a lot of hilarious memories of "electronerd
educations" gone awry David. Gawd we had fun . . !

The best I've ever heard was deliverd at the Dayton banquet one year by
Jean Shepherd.

I'd love to read it if his talk has been archived somewhere. I'll bet
that if some Shepherd-type individual went out and compiled tales
about all the goofy stunts and missteps kid hams got into back when in
a book it would sell.

I can only hope that someone recorded that banquet talk. Of course most
of Shepherd's stuff was that entertaining. That voice we hearing
narrating "A Christmas Story" is his.

He and Jack Fulmer W4HAV (later W4YF) opened a Volkswagen dealership way
too soon after the war. People weren't quite ready for the car. The
place was on the Kentucky shore opposite Cincinnati, where Jean was
working at WLW.

Well, in my case it was a one-time Christmas deal--the one BIG present
and that was second-hand from Allied's big, used equipment list. The
receiver I saved for was also from the same list.

I wonder if there are any Allied employees left from the days when
they were in the ham biz.

I think there a few still around. There was no one left working from
the old days at the time I went to work for them in 1980. Everything
was Tandy and run from Fort Worth.

More newspaper
deliveries, an after-school job at the local hobby shop several days
each week and the writing of a sports column for the local newspaper
provided coaxial cable and connectors, a key, antenna wire and the
like.

My first store-bought rcvr was a new Hallicrafters S-40B. Which I
bought from Sears & Roebuck believe it or not. At the time Sears sold
the S-38, the S-40, and a couple higher-end Hallicrafters rcvrs. I
think one of 'em was the SX-71. The S-40 catalog price was $119.95.
But I had an aunt who lived in Chicago and worked for Sears so I was
able to get her employee's 10% discount. A whole twelve bucks. I was
as interested in SWLing as much as I was into becoming a Novice so I
spent more time chasing SW BC "rare ones" than I did tuning the W1AW
code practice sessions. Eventually though, maybe a year after I got
the rcvr I had 7.5 wpm down cold and was close to 10 wpm so I trundled
off downtown, took the test and put the S-40 to the real task.

A nice bit of nostalgia! Most of the catalog houses had at least some
ham gear. It is interesting to note that famed industrial designer
Raymond Loewy designed the S-40 cabinetry. He is the fellow who brought
us the '47 Studebaker Starlight Coupe and '53 Starliner Coupe, the '61
Avanti,
the S-1 steam locomotive (Pennsylvania RR), that sharp-looking fifties
Coca-Cola dispenser that we'd see in diners and drug stores, and all
sorts of products from pencil sharpeners to refrigerators.

I bought an S-40A from W7LR a few years back. The design is still
stunning.

W4JBP willed me his 1937 Hallicrafters Sky Challenger years back. He
bought it new from Steinberg's appliance store on Vine Street in
Cincinnati. Steinberg's sold ham gear through the end of 1968

Some of that money was also spent on a big U.S. call area map and
some (sorry, no choice of color) QSL cards from WRL.

Now yer really rubbing it in . . . The Globe King, the King of the
Hill . . ! I understand that Leo is now 93 and is still at it at.

K8CFT, who administered my Novice exam, had a Globe King 500-C in his
shack. I've always wanted one but they are bloody expensive these days.

All of this nostalgia has me fired up to grab my collection of the West
Coast DX Bulletin to re-read some of Cass's gems.

I subscribed to one or another of the dx bulletins but I forget which
one it was. I don't remember a "Cass". I had a big asset in the dx
spots game, I was geographically right in the middle of the FRC 2m
"spots network". I left the rcvr on 24/7, when I heard it light up I
knew there was a goodie lurking somewhere, got into the shack pronto,
fired up and joined the throng on the freq. Some of the poor dx
stations we jumped all over probably wondered what hit 'em.

Cass is Hugh Cassidy WA6AUD. His "West Coast DX Bulletin" was tops.
Cass had a flair for writing and brought us the Old Timer living on top
of the hill; the local QRPer, full of questions (often rhetorical) for
the Old Timer; Red-Eyed Louie, always doing the dawn patrol looking for
rare DX and the Palos Verdes Sundancers. There are numerous other
characters. When Cass retired, his mailing list went to the fellows at
Madison Electronics in Texas. Bill Kennamer K5FUV edited their "QRZ DX"
for a number of years before going to the DXCC desk in Newington to
replace Don Search.

Then there was the Ham Trader yellow sheets . . I moved a *lotta* gear
in and out with those.

I subscribed to the "Yellow Sheets" as well and had Alton's "Ham
Equipment Buyer's Guide" volumes too.

Dave K8MN
Old February 13th 04, 05:20 AM
Dave Heil

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article ,
(Brian Kelly) writes:

I wonder if there are any Allied employees left from the days when
they were in the ham biz.

Allied Radio is still an electronics parts distributor, was never solely
in the "ham biz."

Who said it was?

Allied is now a division of Hamilton-Avnet and
MUCH bigger than it was when they had a single building in Chicago.

They've been bigger since about 1970 when Tandy bought 'em. Allied had
quite a chain of strip mall and downtown stores across the country.
That's precisely why Tandy bought them. Almost all of them became Radio
Shack stores.

I'd been there...impressive showroom to a 15 year old, but not that
great in 1956 when I was 23.

It takes a lot to impress a suave man-of-the-world such as you.

Newark Electronics is still in the electronics parts distributor biz,
also bigger than it was in the 1950s.

Pittsburgh's Cameradio is still in business as CAM/RPC after merging
with Cleveland's Radio Parts Company (the RPC). Hughes-Peters is still
in business though the company has been sold. None of them were ever
solely in the amateur radio business. Hughes-Peters Cincinnati Division
had nine hams on staff and always advertised in the GCARA's "Mike and
Key". Many of our customers had radio amateurs employed. The company
had a busy parts counter and figured that dollars from hams were as good
as dollars from anyone else.

There's lots more places to get parts for hum radios now, but the
old-style parts of a half century are very, very scarce. :-)

No, Leonard, they aren't. There are simply fewer places selling them.
With the stock I have out in the barn, I might run out in another fifty
or so years.

You really ought to get out more...

....sez our resident expert in all things electronic.

Dave K8MN
Old February 13th 04, 11:00 AM
N2EY

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

It is interesting to note that famed industrial designer
Raymond Loewy designed the S-40 cabinetry. He is the fellow who brought
us

(brought us the styling, that is)

of

the '47 Studebaker Starlight Coupe and '53 Starliner Coupe, the '61
Avanti, the S-1 steam locomotive (Pennsylvania RR),

The GG-1 electric locomotive (also PRR),

that sharp-looking fifties
Coca-Cola dispenser that we'd see in diners and drug stores, and all
sorts of products from pencil sharpeners to refrigerators.

Loewy (and others) also made it clear that purely functional objects could look
really cool, too, without significant cost increases. In fact, his style
changes to
the GG-1 (including the use of a welded rather than riveted body and the use of

smoother lines) resulted in *reduced* cost.

Unfortunately he was not available to help style the Southgate Type 7.

73 de Jim, N2EY

73 de Jim, N2EY

Extra class - question about the test J999w General 8 April 13th 04 09:57 PM
From the Extra question pool: The dipole David Robbins General 1 January 23rd 04 05:32 PM
From the Extra question pool: The dipole David Robbins Policy 0 January 23rd 04 05:16 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
1x2 Calls--automatic when upgrading to Extra? Jim Hampton Policy 6 July 15th 03 10:55 PM