Old January 30th 04, 10:27 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

Default My Idea For A New License Structure

For implementation sometime AFTER the "code issue" is resolved:

(1) Amateur Basic.

Forty question test with access to 144mHz, 50Mhz, 28mHz, 21mHz,
18mHz, 7mHz and 1.8mHz. Same phone allocations as other
licensees on HF bands. Morse Code endorsement required for opera-
tion in lower 100kHz of any band. Limit 100 watts output on any band.

(2) Amateur Advanced.

Additional written examination. All presently HF-licensed
Amateurs except Extras grandfathered to new license. Privileges
same as for former Advanced Class. Morse Code endorsement required
for operation in lower 100kHz of any band EXCEPT for those previously
code tested or already holding an Element 1 CSCE. New licensees (not
grandfathered operators) limit to 500 watts on any band.

(3) Amateur Radio-God Expert for Life

(OK...that was for Lennie's benefit...I'D call it Amateur Extra)
Comprehensive closed-pool written test. REQUIRED 5wpm Morse Code
test. Full Amateur allocations and privileges. Additional phone
allocations (or "wideband", if you prefer non-mode specific classifi-
cations) from previous Novice class bands. Full power.

Why?

Why not...?!?!

73

Steve, K4YZ
Old January 31st 04, 03:49 PM
N2EY

In article ,
(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) writes:

For implementation sometime AFTER the "code issue" is resolved:

For some folks, it will only be resolved when there is no code testing at all.

(1) Amateur Basic.

Forty question test with access to 144mHz, 50Mhz, 28mHz, 21mHz,
18mHz, 7mHz and 1.8mHz.

Why no 80, 30, 20, or 12 meters? Why not allow 222 in hopes of increasing
use of the band?

Same phone allocations as other licensees on HF bands.

You mean same as Extras have now?

Morse Code endorsement required for opera-
tion in lower 100kHz of any band.

Bad idea. Acts as a disincentive to use CW and digital modes, and as an
incentive to use voice only!

Limit 100 watts output on any band.

Requires RF exposure eval on higher bands. Why not 100/25?

(2) Amateur Advanced.

Additional written examination.

OK

All presently HF-licensed
Amateurs except Extras grandfathered to new license.

Even Novices and Techs? That's a worse giveaway than ARRL proposes!

Privileges
same as for former Advanced Class. Morse Code endorsement required
for operation in lower 100kHz of any band EXCEPT for those
previously
code tested or already holding an Element 1 CSCE. New licensees
(not
grandfathered operators) limit to 500 watts on any band.

See above about code test.

(3) Amateur Radio-God Expert for Life

(OK...that was for Lennie's benefit...I'D call it Amateur
Extra)

I have no idea why you bother with him, Steve.

Comprehensive closed-pool written test.

How? "Son Of Bash" would make it open pool quickly. Plus, how can you make a
case that only the top ticket gets a closed pool but open is OK for the others?

REQUIRED 5wpm Morse Code

test. Full Amateur allocations and privileges. Additional phone
allocations (or "wideband", if you prefer non-mode specific
classifi-
cations) from previous Novice class bands. Full power.

Why?

Three levels - good.
Incremental power and privs - good

Why not...?!?!

See above.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old January 31st 04, 06:39 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

(N2EY) wrote in message ...
In article ,

(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) writes:

For implementation sometime AFTER the "code issue" is resolved:

For some folks, it will only be resolved when there is no code testing at all.

Agreed, but then there are folks who are still insisting on a
second shooter on the Grassy Knoll. You can't please everyone!

(1) Amateur Basic.

Forty question test with access to 144mHz, 50Mhz, 28mHz, 21mHz,
18mHz, 7mHz and 1.8mHz.

Why no 80, 30, 20, or 12 meters? Why not allow 222 in hopes of increasing
use of the band?

80: Perhaps 80.

30: Let's leave this for folks who WANT to beep and for those
elusive
data modes.

20: This is where everyone wants to go and play...Let them get
their feet
wet on 17 and 15 meters...then they can come play with the
Big Boys.

12: If you're going to draw limitations on bands you have to
draw the
line somewhere.

1.25: I think this band is fodder, Jim. I realize that the metro
areas
(ie: NYC, LA, ATL, etc...) make better use of it, but we've
done
everything except beg the Pope to support the band. We can
give it
a shot, but the history of this band is that it won't
"sell".

Same phone allocations as other licensees on HF bands.

You mean same as Extras have now?

Morse Code endorsement required for opera-
tion in lower 100kHz of any band.

Bad idea. Acts as a disincentive to use CW and digital modes, and as an
incentive to use voice only!

OK...Bottom 50kHz...?!?!

Limit 100 watts output on any band.

Requires RF exposure eval on higher bands. Why not 100/25?

It rrequires an eval IF you're using that much power.

As I asked "Billy Beeper", why is everyone running away from
trying to make sure we are as safe as we can be? Isn't this a part of
the "learning curve"...?!?!

(2) Amateur Advanced.

Additional written examination.

OK

All presently HF-licensed
Amateurs except Extras grandfathered to new license.

Even Novices and Techs? That's a worse giveaway than ARRL proposes!

It's one-time and it's over.

If current expiration of Novices and Techs are any indicator,
most of those folks won't be taking advantage of it anyway.

Privileges
same as for former Advanced Class. Morse Code endorsement required
for operation in lower 100kHz of any band EXCEPT for those
previously
code tested or already holding an Element 1 CSCE. New licensees
(not
grandfathered operators) limit to 500 watts on any band.

See above about code test.

Ditto my last. There's no "data" being used in the bottom 50 of
most bands...

(3) Amateur Radio-God Expert for Life

(OK...that was for Lennie's benefit...I'D call it Amateur
Extra)

I have no idea why you bother with him, Steve.

It's like swinging at a pinata...One guy makes a fool out of
himself while everyone else gets to laugh at the process!

Comprehensive closed-pool written test.

How? "Son Of Bash" would make it open pool quickly. Plus, how can you make a
case that only the top ticket gets a closed pool but open is OK for the others?

Because this would be the "final exam". If someone is truly
worthy of having "the whole enchilada", then they should be able to
prove it.

And as for the "Bash" syndrome, I suggest a new line in Part 97:
"Test Confidentiality: Except for those test items released by the
VEC as approved by the Commission, it shall be a violation of this
Part to reveal content of any examination prepared for any Amateur
Radio operator examination."

REQUIRED 5wpm Morse Code

test. Full Amateur allocations and privileges. Additional phone
allocations (or "wideband", if you prefer non-mode specific
classifi-
cations) from previous Novice class bands. Full power.

Why?

Three levels - good.
Incremental power and privs - good

Why not...?!?!

See above.

Ya still snowed in, Jim? Blue skies here, and I washed the car in
a scrub shirt this morning!

73

Steve, K4YZ

Old January 31st 04, 08:00 PM
Mike Coslo

Steve Robeson, K4CAP wrote:
(N2EY) wrote in message ...

In article ,

(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) writes:

[...]

Very good point, Steve! If we have to learn about RF safety, we might
as well use it. I would want ANY amateur at ANY license level to be
capable of doing an RF safety evaluation. To not have such a thing is to
me criminal negligence!

[...]

HOWL!!!!!! Best comeback all week, Steve! I owe ya for the good laugh. 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old January 31st 04, 11:14 PM
William

(N2EY) wrote in message ...
In article ,

(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) writes:

For implementation sometime AFTER the "code issue" is resolved:

For some folks, it will only be resolved when there is no code testing at all.

(1) Amateur Basic.

Forty question test with access to 144mHz, 50Mhz, 28mHz, 21mHz,
18mHz, 7mHz and 1.8mHz.

Why no 80, 30, 20, or 12 meters? Why not allow 222 in hopes of increasing
use of the band?

Same phone allocations as other licensees on HF bands.

You mean same as Extras have now?

I believe he does. Is that a problem?

Morse Code endorsement required for opera-
tion in lower 100kHz of any band.

Bad idea. Acts as a disincentive to use CW and digital modes, and as an
incentive to use voice only!

Ahem, The Amateur Formerly Known as Rev. Jim, we've had that very same
or greater disincentive since 1912.

Why is it NOW a problem?

[...]

It gets Steve out of bed in the morning.

Comprehensive closed-pool written test.

How? "Son Of Bash" would make it open pool quickly. Plus, how can you make a
case that only the top ticket gets a closed pool but open is OK for the others?

REQUIRED 5wpm Morse Code

test. Full Amateur allocations and privileges. Additional phone
allocations (or "wideband", if you prefer non-mode specific
classifi-
cations) from previous Novice class bands. Full power.

Why?

Three levels - good.
Incremental power and privs - good

You once told me when we had 7 license class distinctions that we
needed more classes.

Why the change now?

bb
Old February 1st 04, 05:18 AM
Robert Casey

from previous Novice class bands. Full power.

Why?

Why not...?!?!

We could do a class of license that is code only, crystal controlled 75 watt
transmitter built from junked tube TV sets and modified AM radio receivers.

;-)

Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
There is no International Code Requirement and techs can operate HF according to FCC Rules JJ General 159 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
ATTN: Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st Dwight Stewart Policy 300 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM