Old February 22nd 04, 07:57 PM
Len Over 21

In article .net, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

"The Eternal Squire" wrote:

(snip) You could either:
1) Think of it as a SETI exercise.
CW would carry far better over
interstellar distance on microwave
frequencies than voice, RTTY, or
image. (snip)

Who would one talk to over those vast distances? We use Morse code, while
most off-world residents used Zugth code. Besides, code use elsewhere is
still declining after being dropped as a testing requirement about 6,406k
years ago.

:-)

Careful, Dwight, now you will start the morse-zugth code wars all over
again (done in this newsgroup 8,192 years ago...according to Google).

At the Interstellar Telecommunications Union (ITU) of Stardate 1928 on
the 3rd planet of Arianna Huffington IV, Mrs. Hiram Percy Maxim spoke
French to the assembled delegates thereby starting an interstellar
dispute over which on-off coding was superior. [French is not an inter-
stellar language] She had used naughty French words after being
refused to use the specially-constructed Terran rest room.

The Interstellar Telecommunications Union standardized all amateur
licensing at 5 WPM (Words Per Month) of the de facto standard,
Interstellar Zugth Code. The ARRL, totally without kidney function
[they were ****ed off], has refused any comment on this serious (or
should I say Sirius?) rift in interstellar radio requirements. Even today
there is absolutely NO mention of Zugth Code on the ARRL website.

The militaries of the galactic region adoptes SubSpace Radio with
high-speed video-audio-mental data rates and gave up any thought
of going back to prehistoric Zugth (or Morse) codings. Clearly,
according to the Interstellar Amateur Radio Union, the militaries were
not fulfilling keeping up the heroic, glorious tradition of on-off codings.

After all, Interstellar Zugth Code is the "universe language" argued the
remainder of the Interstellar Telecommunications Union delegates
and morse codings are based on a minority written language of a
minority of the Interstellar Community. They were of the United
Opinion that those learning quaint morse codings were not showing
any dedication and resolve, and especially, Interest in raddio, to the
Interstellar Community.

--- from an Appendix of the Orange Catholic Bible published in 16,391,
Princess Irulan and F. Herbert, editors.

Old February 23rd 04, 10:05 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Len Over 21" wrote:
"Dwight Stewart" writes:

Who would one talk to over those vast
distances? We use Morse code, while
most off-world residents used Zugth code.
Besides, code use elsewhere is still
declining after being dropped as a testing
requirement about 6,406k years ago.

:-)

Careful, Dwight, now you will start the
morse-zugth code wars all over again (done
in this newsgroup 8,192 years ago...according
to Google).

A risk I had to take to illustrate the point.

At the Interstellar Telecommunications Union
(ITU) of Stardate 1928 on the 3rd planet of
Arianna Huffington IV, Mrs. Hiram Percy Maxim
spoke French to the assembled delegates thereby
starting an interstellar dispute over which on-off
coding was superior. [French is not an inter-
stellar language] She had used naughty French
words after being refused to use the specially-
constructed Terran rest room.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Arianna Huffington just
flew in from some other planet. Suze Orman is another of my "favorites" - I
suspect she still is on another planet.

The Interstellar Telecommunications Union
standardized all amateur licensing at 5 WPM
(Words Per Month) of the de facto standard,
Interstellar Zugth Code. (snip)

To be fair, we should point out that the words in some of those off-world
languages are fairly long. As such, it does take time to send them using any
operating mode. That's one reason they dropped the ID requirements - some
couldn't finish a word before they had to ID again. I'm still listening to a
guy that started talking about four years ago. I don't know which planet he
is from - he hasn't got that far yet. Whatever the case, I'm darn sure glad
it's not a CW contact.

(snip) --- from an Appendix of the Orange
Catholic Bible published in 16,391, Princess
Irulan and F. Herbert, editors.

Thanks for that fine recount of those events. We all benefit from repeated
looks at the past.

[or, on a more serious note, to write all of that, you have too much time
on your hands] ;-)

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old February 24th 04, 07:15 PM
Len Over 21

In article k.net, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

(snip) --- from an Appendix of the Orange
Catholic Bible published in 16,391, Princess
Irulan and F. Herbert, editors.

Thanks for that fine recount of those events. We all benefit from repeated
looks at the past.

Anyone who has NOT read Frank Herbert's "Dune" novel wouldn't
understand 'Orange Catholic Bible' or 'Princess Irulan.' :-)

Very few of the "servicemen" taking everything ultra-seriously in
here seem to read anything but QST ads. :-)

[or, on a more serious note, to write all of that, you have too much time
on your hands] ;-)

ALL the time I need. :-) :-) :-)

...now, back to the Zugth Code wars!

LHA / WMD

Old February 25th 04, 09:22 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Len Over 2" wrote:

Anyone who has NOT read Frank
Herbert's "Dune" novel wouldn't
understand 'Orange Catholic Bible' or
'Princess Irulan.' :-)

To be honest, I'm not a big fiction reader (Sci-fi or other). I tried to
read Dune once years ago and lost interest. The movie was almost as bad -
way over the top. Of course, I'm not a heavy movie watcher either. A big
part of that is a lack of time. It's not that I dislike reading - we have
way too many books (our friends joke that we have more books than the
library). But, I'm one of those would wants to consume anything I try to
read (read the entire thing in one sitting). However, I've had very little
time for that recently. So, our recent books have taken more of a technical
slant, with far less fiction and so on.

...now, back to the Zugth Code wars!

Agreed.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old February 26th 04, 03:54 PM
Dave Heil

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article k.net, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

(snip) --- from an Appendix of the Orange
Catholic Bible published in 16,391, Princess
Irulan and F. Herbert, editors.

Thanks for that fine recount of those events. We all benefit from repeated
looks at the past.

Anyone who has NOT read Frank Herbert's "Dune" novel wouldn't
understand 'Orange Catholic Bible' or 'Princess Irulan.' :-)

Very few of the "servicemen" taking everything ultra-seriously in
here seem to read anything but QST ads. :-)

I almost forgot, Len. You're the only guy capable of reading a book.
You're the only guy who knows anything about electronics. You're the
only guy who was ever in the U.S. military. You're quite a fellow.

Aren't you also the guy who hasn't achieved that "Extra right out of the
box" he crowed about several years back? What? Not even a Technician
"right out of the box"?

Dave K8MN