Old February 19th 04, 07:45 PM
The Eternal Squire

Default proposed telegraphy alphabet for LOTR tengwar

Hi,

So far as I know, FCC regs allow the use of any code which is not intended
to obscure the meaning of
the message, and that this regulation can be satisfied by the mere
publication of the code. This email
is intended to publish a telegraphy (Morse) code so that it might be
permissible to use.

This might be a fun way for LOTR fans who are also hams to communicate.

I've taken a look at the tengwar structure, and from it determined that the
longs should be placed where
the bows are, the shorts should be placed where the the strokes are, that
shorter characters should have
shorter codes, and that mirror image characters would be mirror images of
each other. Special sequences
are used to resolved conflicts.

Telegraphy per se would not have evolved in Middle-Earth since the
technology went toward scientific
application of magic by Feanor, but the tengwar could very likely have been
adapted for the use of a
heliography (mirror-flash) code for communication between Quenya and Sindar
mariners. Vowels would
never have been transmitted, similar to the style of stone carving.

With this is mind, here is Tengwanor ("sunwriting"): You could probably
use machine translation from
English to English-Mode Tengwar to Tengwanor for the purpose of computer
assisted CW, or if you actually
can line up 2 people literate in Quenya or Sindarin try it with a key!

Namarie',

The Eternal Squire

COLUMN 1:

character sequence
---------- ----------
tinco . _ .
ando . _ . .
thule _ _ .
anto _ _ . .
numen _ . .
ore .

COLUMN 2:

parma . _ . _
umbar . _ . . _
formen _ _ . _
ampa _ _ . . _
malta _ . . _
vala _ . _

COLUMN 3:

calma . .
anga . . _ .
harma . _ _
anca . . _ _
noldo . . _
anna . _

COLUMN 4:

quesse _ . _ .
ungwe _ . _ . .
hwesta _ _ _
unque . . . .
nwalme _ _
wilya _

SPECIAL:

romen . . . _
arda . . . . _
harma . _ _ _
alda . _ _ _ _
silme . _ . _ .
silme nuquerna _ . _ . _
aze . . _ . .
aze nuquerna _ _ . _ _
hyarmen . . _ _ _
hwesta sindarina _ _ _ .
yanta . . .
ure _ _ _ _

---

Old February 20th 04, 11:49 AM
William

"The Eternal Squire" wrote in message ...
[...]

TAFKA Rev. Jim says a Morse Code exam is a disincentive to the use of
CW on HF. If they won't learn Morse Code, why do you think they'll
learn this?
Old February 20th 04, 01:13 PM
Dwight Stewart

"The Eternal Squire" wrote:

So far as I know, FCC regs allow the
use of any code which is not intended
to obscure the meaning of the message,
and that this regulation can be satisfied
by the mere publication of the code.
This email is intended to publish a
telegraphy (Morse) code so that it might
be permissible to use. (snip)

You might want to contact the FCC for specific requirements before
proceeding. I sincerely doubt this newsgroup is "publication" to the extent
expected by the FCC. Wider publication will likely be needed, such as in a
major radio-related magazine or book.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old February 20th 04, 09:34 PM
Len Over 21

In article .net, "Dwight
Stewart" writes:

"The Eternal Squire" wrote:

So far as I know, FCC regs allow the
use of any code which is not intended
to obscure the meaning of the message,
and that this regulation can be satisfied
by the mere publication of the code.
This email is intended to publish a
telegraphy (Morse) code so that it might
be permissible to use. (snip)

You might want to contact the FCC for specific requirements before
proceeding. I sincerely doubt this newsgroup is "publication" to the extent
expected by the FCC. Wider publication will likely be needed, such as in a
major radio-related magazine or book.

Dwight, I take off for a few days and this place gets even sillier than
before! :-)

Too many get off on their own "realities" and leave this dimension for
some emotionally-overloading FICTIONAL universe.

Tolkien's "Middle Earth" isn't on the ITU's Region list and New Zealand
(where the film triology was made) still speaks English as a primary
language. Tolkien himself was an Englishman.

With all the "magic" in the enjoyable film triology, they don't really
need any simple on-off carrier keying to communicate...just speak
into their rings...or a birdbath...or container of magic potion.

I was wondering why old Star Trek fan sub-set Vulcan lovers were
until I realized the Vulcans communicated solely by "CW" (Curse
Words) and sub-space radio. FCC has no regs on sub-space radio.
Mama Dee would say (I'm sure) that it's okay to legally interfere
with a sub-space radio if you have a federally authorized amateur
radio license.

Gotta love the weirdness in here! :-)

LHA / WMD
Old February 20th 04, 10:01 PM
garigue

Perhaps something in Klingon would be better ...oh brother ...way TOO much
time on his hands ....

73 Tom KI3R

Old February 21st 04, 01:20 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Len Over 21" wrote:

Dwight, I take off for a few days and
this place gets even sillier than before! :-)

Too many get off on their own "realities"
and leave this dimension for some emotionally-
overloading FICTIONAL universe.

Tolkien's "Middle Earth" isn't on the ITU's
Region list and New Zealand (where the film
triology was made) still speaks English as a
primary language. Tolkien himself was an
Englishman. (snip)

To be honest, I hardly glanced at anything beyond the first paragraph.
I'll have to turn off "hide read messages" and take another look to see what
you're talking about. Sounds silly enough to be worth the effort though.
Thanks for the heads up.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old February 21st 04, 03:20 AM
The Eternal Squire

garigue,

Any intelligent civilization would have either evolved heliography or
telegraphy
for specific needs. A magic-based civilization would have evolved
heliography,
a technology-based civilization would have evolved telegraphy.

You could either:
1) Think of it as a SETI exercise. CW would carry far better over
interstellar distance
on microwave frequencies than voice, RTTY, or image.

2) Just let the rest of us have some clean, healthy fun. Play is
healthy for the soul.

The Eternal Squire

Old February 21st 04, 12:53 PM
William

"The Eternal Squire" wrote in message ...
garigue,

Any intelligent civilization would have either evolved heliography or
telegraphy
for specific needs. A magic-based civilization would have evolved
heliography,
a technology-based civilization would have evolved telegraphy.

You could either:
1) Think of it as a SETI exercise. CW would carry far better over
interstellar distance
on microwave frequencies than voice, RTTY, or image.

You don't want the aliens to think we're idiots, do you?
Old February 22nd 04, 06:22 AM
Dwight Stewart

"The Eternal Squire" wrote:

(snip) You could either:
1) Think of it as a SETI exercise.
CW would carry far better over
interstellar distance on microwave
frequencies than voice, RTTY, or
image. (snip)

Who would one talk to over those vast distances? We use Morse code, while
most off-world residents used Zugth code. Besides, code use elsewhere is
still declining after being dropped as a testing requirement about 6,406k
years ago.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/