Old March 16th 04, 04:16 AM
JJ

William wrote:

I'm just so happy that you finally acknowledged that mere cell phones
play a major role in disaster communications. Or did you?

Sure they have and can, but when the cell network is down, ham radio
will be there if needed.
Post a follow-up to this message

And how in your infinite witless wisdom did you get out of this that I
said that cells phones are always down and my ham radio is always up?
I w i l l t y p e t h i s v e r y s l o o o o l y s o t r y t o
k e e p u p. I s a i d, *W H E N* t h e c e l l n e t w o r k i
s d o w n. The statement, *WHEN* it is down, implys that it is
sometimes up.

Old March 16th 04, 04:17 AM
JJ

William wrote:

JJ wrote in message ...

Len Over 21 wrote:

The Law of Imagination keeps changing all the time, all the
Believers thinking they are radio minutemen defending ignorant
savage civilians against the elements of disaster. Every ham a
hero! :-)

Not every ham lennyboy, but some have been. You ever been? I thought
not. No go tell the nurse you need your diaper changed and you will be
ready for your afternoon nappy.

You're quite disrespectful of a radio veteran.

When lennyboy does or says something to warrent respect, he will get it.

Old March 16th 04, 11:56 AM
William

JJ wrote in message ...
William wrote:

You lie. You were w/o ham capability prior to becoming licensed.

It would be obvious to anyone with more than three working brain cells
that the statement applies to the period in which I hold a valid ham
radio operator's license.

Then why make such broad claims?

You said, "I can say that I have never been without ham radio
capability."

Now you're telling me that you really meant to say, "For as long as I
have been a licensed amateur radio operator, I have never been without
ham radio capability."

I think Dick/W0EX used to beat the "I've never been w/o, I'm always
ready for an emergency" drum. But when Hans invited him to operate
his favorite mode (cw), Dick was nowhere to be heard.

So, I'll let you slide on the unlicensed period of your life not being
with ham radio capability. This time. Just don't go broad brushing
your magnificent capabilities again.

Just be sure that should Hans invite you to a CW QSO, you'll be there,
because "For as long as I have been a licensed amateur radio operator,
I have never been without ham radio capability."

;^)
Old March 16th 04, 11:58 AM
William

JJ wrote in message ...
William wrote:

I'm just so happy that you finally acknowledged that mere cell phones
play a major role in disaster communications. Or did you?

Sure they have and can, but when the cell network is down, ham radio
will be there if needed.
Post a follow-up to this message

And how in your infinite witless wisdom did you get out of this that I
said that cells phones are always down and my ham radio is always up?
I w i l l t y p e t h i s v e r y s l o o o o l y s o t r y t o
k e e p u p. I s a i d, *W H E N* t h e c e l l n e t w o r k i
s d o w n. The statement, *WHEN* it is down, implys that it is
sometimes up.

"Ham radio WILL be there..."

What about the part where ham radios never break down down?
Old March 17th 04, 02:13 AM
JJ

William wrote:

JJ wrote in message ...

William wrote:

I'm just so happy that you finally acknowledged that mere cell phones
play a major role in disaster communications. Or did you?

Sure they have and can, but when the cell network is down, ham radio
will be there if needed.
Post a follow-up to this message

And how in your infinite witless wisdom did you get out of this that I
said that cells phones are always down and my ham radio is always up?
I w i l l t y p e t h i s v e r y s l o o o o l y s o t r y t o
k e e p u p. I s a i d, *W H E N* t h e c e l l n e t w o r k i
s d o w n. The statement, *WHEN* it is down, implys that it is
sometimes up.

"Ham radio WILL be there..."

What about the part where ham radios never break down down?

Again you hallucinate, enlighten us, where did I ever state that ham
radios never break down?

Old March 17th 04, 12:10 PM
William

JJ wrote in message ...
William wrote:

JJ wrote in message ...

William wrote:

I'm just so happy that you finally acknowledged that mere cell phones
play a major role in disaster communications. Or did you?

Sure they have and can, but when the cell network is down, ham radio
will be there if needed.
Post a follow-up to this message

And how in your infinite witless wisdom did you get out of this that I
said that cells phones are always down and my ham radio is always up?
I w i l l t y p e t h i s v e r y s l o o o o l y s o t r y t o
k e e p u p. I s a i d, *W H E N* t h e c e l l n e t w o r k i
s d o w n. The statement, *WHEN* it is down, implys that it is
sometimes up.

"Ham radio WILL be there..."

What about the part where ham radios never break down down?

Again you hallucinate, enlighten us, where did I ever state that ham
radios never break down?

I think I've got your statements figured out.

Cell phones or cell phone systems may break down and leave you w/o communications.

Amateur radio may break down and leave you without communications.
Old March 17th 04, 01:59 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Not here.... mine worked great!

Ryan KC8PMX

In the power outage of August 2003, I personally experienced the erratic
availability of cell phones.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 17th 04, 03:23 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

(William) wrote in message om...
(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) wrote in message om...
(William) wrote in message . com...
(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) wrote in message . com...
(William) wrote in message . com...

You sure seemed to be doing a good job of it above. Thanks for coming
clean and acknowledging that cellular telephones have played a huge
role in emergency response communications.

Here you go with putting words in other peoples post,
MiniLennie...

I DID NOT say they play a "huge role". They are important, but
thier loss of service is a contingency planned for. So is the loss of
the commercial and public service systems. Those plans include using
Amateur Radio as a stop-gap.

Can you/do you refute this?

What I HAVE stated in this and other forums is that Amateur Radio
CONTINUES to provide a necessary and almost irreplaceable asset.

To the exclusion of all other communications means. At least until
you posted the above.

An absolute Brian Burke mistruth.

Brain, WHY do you insist on making assertions that ANYONE who
might care to research can find out are so blatantly false?

Do you ENJOY being proven a liar?

NO
OTHER RADIO SERVICE provides the flexibility and utility that Amateur
Radio does.

You're simply wrong on that one. Amateur radio does not offer the
flexibility and utility that cellular telephones provide.

Oh...?!?! How?

(this guy IS an idiot...Hope I get to see him at Dayton and tell
him to his face...)

When the cellsite is down, unaccessable, or overloaded, HOW do you
communicate with your cellphone?

I challenge you to prove THAT otherwise, also.

Challenges, challenges, challenges! That's a part of your problem,
Don Quixoterobeson. Always making challenges.

So far, Putz, you've not been up to ANY challenge. (no cajones)

These facts are not from some ARRL source...these assertions come
from a plethora of govenmental, public and private agencies who have
benefitted from the contributions of Amateur Radio and have expressed
the intent to continue to include Amateur Radio in thier plans and
programs.

And cell phones.

How well does a cellphone operate without a functioning cellsite,
Brain?

Don, if you can say my cell site is dead, I can say your ham radio is
dead.

When the repeater is down, I can switch to simplex...When the
propagation is bad, I can switch bands...If FM is inappropriate, I can
switch to a data mode or SSB.

So far, Brain, you've not proved anything except your
ignorance...but you've done THAT well...

Please DISPROVE ANYTHING I have said about Amateur Radio's
role.

Just did.

No, you've not. You have made a foolish assertion that is NOT
supported by a shred of evidence.

I have NEVER said anything even CLOSE to the idea that we're the
only game in town. Quite the contrary.

You omit any discussion that any other radio service or common carrier
can provide emergency comms. That is a form of lying.

First of all I have not "ommited" anything. I have discussed
other services on many occassions...It happens THIS is a forum on
Amateur Radio.

I HAVE said we provide a service to those who make the plans
and need the help.

Until the emergency happens, you don't know who your customer might be
or if you can provide a service to him or her.

Ahhhh...but I do...

You see, Mr Clueless, there are things called "MOU's", or
"Memorandum of Understanding", that exist between agencies for just
these instances.

Those of us who are actually involved in these types of activities
prepare in advance for these issues. It's called "TRAINING".

Is it possible to train or prepare for ALL eventualities...?!?!
Of course not, but short of The Rapture or complete nuclear
annihilation, I'd say most responding agencies have SOME plan in
place.

ARES has MOU's with nearly every state EMA in the Union. That
pretty well puts them in a positon to be able to train with just about
everyone they will need to be in touch with during any given
emergency.

Unless your emergencies are always predictable, in which case they are
not emergencies.

Sure they are.

Can anyone say exactly WHEN an emergency will occur? Of course
not! But I know, with unfaltering certainty, that tornadoes will
come, rivers will flood, buildings will burn, aircraft will crash,
power grids will fail, etc etc etc.

Are YOU saying that these events, which we KNOW will occur at
some time, are NOT emergencies simply becasue we know they occur?

Phones and comms did go out in some areas here. Ham radio turned out to be
a valuable asset.

Power went out north of here. Other than power, there were no reports
of comms going out. Do you have a newspaper clipping detailing the
comm outages?

How about SITREP's from OES/EMA's detailing Amateur Radio
involvement?

You'll have to ask Dee.

I am asking you.

You'll have to ask Dee.

Put in the spot of being asked to validate his assertions, he
wants to play silly sandlot games. OK... That pretty well validates
my assessment of him....Brian Burke is a coward.

Just becasue the papers don't name each and every resource
employed in an emergency doesn't mean they weren't involved. That's a
LennieRant tactic that any 3rd grader can see through.

And you're entirely up to the task. Congrats?

Did you say that cell phones played no role in providing
communications during the east coast power outage?

Absolutely not. You'll please quote the post wherein I made such
an assertion, Brain...?!?!

Just making a clarification. So you do say that cellular telephones
played a major role in the 9/11 attacks and in the summer power
outages?

You interject adjectives again, Your Cowardness. You also tried
to skate around answering MY request to cite the post wherein you
alledge I say such a thing...

Cellphones were nearly USELESS in the initial stages of the
attacks in NYC due to overload and loss of cell sites. This is
documented fact.

Did you say that cell sites don't have emergency backup generators?

Absolutely not. You'll please quote the post wherein I made such
an assertion, Brain...?!?!

Just making a clarification. So you do say that cellular sites are
capable of operating in an emergency?

Why are you being an idiot? Was this a birth defect, or have you
been studying...???

Just making a clarification. Just trying to get your non-verbals on
paper.

No clarification needed, Brain, unless you have a rectal-cranial
inversion that you need resolved (which is reasonably apparant from
your posts)

As for "non-verbals", we're still waiting for YOUR "non-verbals",
ie: from whom you got permission to operate Amateur Radio in Somalia,
and by what United Nations authorizaton that person had to GIVE you
that authority...

I can remember the names of every commanding officer or OIC I
served under in the USMC going back to my Series Commander in boot
camp in 1974. You can't pony-up a name of a guy you served in a war
zone with...?!?!

"Emergency comms" are NOT only when the wires are down or the
cell site destroyed, Brain.

JJ thinks they are. My cell site is always down, his ham radio is
always up. That is the picture he paints.

Is it?

Perhaps if you were actively involved in the programs of some
disaster mitigation agency you might have a better insight as to what
Amateur Radio's OTHER roles are...?!?!

I was a MARS volunteer and BST member. I have no problem with that
concept. But there sure are a lot of DP planners running around with
cellular telephones nowadays.

Yes, there are. And they still depend on Amateur Radio
organizations to fill essential billets in EOC's.

When was the last time YOU were in an EOC as a functionary,
Brain? When was the last time you participated in ANY disaster
mitigation exercise in ANY role?

You and Dee simply cannot accept that an unlicensed service has played
a major role in emergency comms.

What "unlicensed service"...?!?! CB? FRS? MURS? Part 15
compliant devices?

Sure. Why not?

OK, Brain...YOUR "scenario" was "that an unlicensed service has
played a major role in emergency comms".

Now...provide me with some example of one of those "unlicensed
services" playing a "major role".

To ME, at least, "major role" means that SOME sort of crucial
event was dependent upon one of those "services" being able to render
a meaningful, positive outcome.

So...YOU put it out there, let's see you come up with some
pertinent examples.

And remember, Brain, "major" was YOUR adjective...NOT mine.

I'm just so happy that you finally acknowledged that mere cell phones
play a major role in disaster communications. Or did you?

I said they played a role...just like Amateur Radio does.

Now...You made some silly assertions that I've asked you to
substantiate.

You got the cajones to come up with valid answers, or are we to
be treated to more of your lame sandlot excuses...???

Steve, K4YZ