Old March 7th 04, 12:49 PM
Dee D. Flint

"William" wrote in message
om...
Get over the glory of our history. Mike Powell asks, "What has
amateur radio done for me lately?"

How recent do you need? September 11, 2001 comes to mind. Then there was
the great blackout of 2003. No doubt there have been smaller emergencies of
which I haven't heard. There of course there are the emergencies to come
such as future hurricanes. Although these have been rather quiet the last
few years, that doesn't mean they are gone.

Then outside the disaster arena, there's all the marathons, walk-a-thons,
bike-a-thons and myriad other public events for which hams routinely provide
communications. Our club supports 4 or 5 of these per year.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old March 7th 04, 07:32 PM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(William) writes:

(Steve Robeson, K4CAP) wrote in message
.com...
Alun wrote in message

In one way he does have a point. What I am alluding to is that prcisely
because it is a hobby we all have thousands of bucks worth of radios lying

around, and we can use them without wires and cell phone towers.

The "point" Lennie it trying to make us believe, Alun, is that
Amateur Radio is ONLY for any reason OTHER than recreation...That's not

true.

Really? I don't see that at all.

Brian, the psychotic don't see things the same way that rational
humans such as you, Alun, and I do.

The gunnery nurse is stuck, wedged in his emotional rut of anger
and rage over long-ago perceived personal insults to his opinions
and statements. As the result all he can do is shout and holler and
egregiously denigrate his critics over the slightest hint of disapproval.

In his mental world amateur radio has substituted for "the corps"
and he must traverse all routes between the halls of Montezuma
and the shores of Tripoli, marching to the beat of olde-tyme
tradition and demanding strict and utter obeyance of the "gunny"
in a hobby activity. That is an absolute and cannot be otherwise.

That is also quite a bit sick. But, other amateurs allow his
presence, even with implications of "praise" for his exhortations
and pejorations. That implies some impurity of those others.
:-)

His ulterior motive is to discredit Amateur Radio's countless
contributions, not only to the "history" of radio, but to the
"service" of the Nation as a resource to be called upon in any number
of disasters or emergencies.

I'd suggest that you not rest on your laurels. Historically amateur
radio has provided an invaluable service to the nation. More
recently, more people have turned to cellular telephones to aid them
in an emergency. You do the math.

The gunnery nurse is still stuck in his obsessive rut and cannot
tolerate a reality at odds with his mental fantasy.

That 100 million cellular telephone subscriptions exist in the
USA as of U.S. Census Bureau data for 2003 is irrelevant to the
gunnery nurse's fantasy world. He refuses to acknowledge that
and focusses solely on himself and his relation to his activities
as the only possible "truth." Anything contrary will bring forth a
spate of the usual personal insults, spat with exaggerated anger
and resentment.

The history of all radio has already been and has been
documented in many other places besides Newington, CT.
The contributions of amateur radio are quite countable, not so
numerous as to be labeled "uncountable." The countable
contributions - in the majority - all happened well before the
gunnery nurse's life experience began.

He's unable to do that, either, but he obviously believes that if
he keeps repeating it often enough perhaps he and he alone can
re-write 90 years of history.

Recounting documented reality is not a "rewrite" of anything.

ALL radio is only 108 years old. The ARRL was organized in 1914
as a local New England radio club primarily interested in "relaying"
telegraphic messages privately instead of using commercial
telegram services. As a late-comer in U.S. national radio clubs
(the Radio Club of America was organized 5 years before the ARRL
and still exists today) it began to have dreams of greatness. But,
the ARRL membership is still less than a quarter of all licensed U.S.
radio amateurs. Their "greatness" seems to be a self-definition.

The use of "90" years is indicative of the mental tunnel vision and
absolute Belief in the ARRL as the source, the oracle of All in
radio. When the ARRL was first organized, "radio" was already 18
years old, having been demonstrated as a communications means
in both Italy and Russia in 1896.

Get over the glory of our history. Mike Powell asks, "What has
amateur radio done for me lately?"

That is really for another thread, Brian, even though both of us do
not look with favor upon Chairman Powell.

The gunnery nurse MUST wrap himself in the patriotic bunting and
mythical glory of his corps-substitute. That is evidenciary in all the
psychotic behavior shown in here over the past years. To him it
seems not a hobby but a lifestyle, a "service" lacking only a common
uniform. All must follow his personal patriotism or be villified forever
and ever.

He wastes our time.

LHA / WMD
Old March 7th 04, 08:49 PM
JJ

William wrote:

Hah, funny one. I've seen amateur towers fall over. It can be months
or years if they're ever replaced at all.

Even if my tower should fall over, I can string up antennas and be back
on the air in hours of not minutes. Can you do that with your cell phone?

Old March 8th 04, 11:23 PM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

Alun wrote in message . ..

In one way he does have a point. What I am alluding to is that prcisely
because it is a hobby we all have thousands of bucks worth of radios lying
around, and we can use them without wires and cell phone towers.

The "point" Lennie it trying to make us believe, Alun, is that
Amateur Radio is ONLY a hobby, with no intrinsic value to anyone
for any reason OTHER than recreation...That's not true.

Really? I don't see that at all.

That's because you have YOUR head so far up the Putzy One's anus
that you can't SEE anything else.

His ulterior motive is to discredit Amateur Radio's countless
contributions, not only to the "history" of radio, but to the
"service" of the Nation as a resource to be called upon in any number
of disasters or emergencies.

I'd suggest that you not rest on your laurels. Historically amateur
radio has provided an invaluable service to the nation. More
recently, more people have turned to cellular telephones to aid them
in an emergency. You do the math.

There's no math to do, Brain.

There's ALWAYS been more telephones than licensed Amateurs, yet
there's ALWAYS been a need for persons able to conduct emergency
operations via two-way radio.

The invention of the cellular telephone has not changed that at
all. Cellular telephones are still dependent on wire-line based
infrastructure and thousands of very expensivecellsites that are fixed
assets.

Fixed assets in a tornado are ALSO called "collateral damage".

Man-made events are just as devastating as recent events have
demonstrated.

He's unable to do that, either, but he obviously believes that if
he keeps repeating it often enough perhaps he and he alone can
re-write 90 years of history.

Get over the glory of our history. Mike Powell asks, "What has
amateur radio done for me lately?"

It's not "history", ya dimwit...It's RECENT current events. The
most recent firestorms in the west being testament to that.

Try again, Brain....

Steve, K4YZ