Old April 19th 04, 01:05 AM
garigue

I agree. FISTS has a hard-line stance in favor of Morse Code testing.
The organization is supposed to be dedicated to OPERATING Morse Code,
not keeping the Morse Code requirement. The leaders should have
either started a new organization dedicated to defending Morse Code
requirements or simply filed petitions on behalf of themselves instead
of on behalf of FISTS.

Jason Hsu, AG4DG

Why isn't NCI .......NCTI ....... Should have testing in there as I

have
read repeatedly that the group is only against testing ...... Oh well
Back on 40 CW ....

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Why does a Morse/Farnsworth Code advocacy group use a symbol of
violence for their name?

Nope .....a symbol of anatomy used to describe a good CW op as in he has a
good fist .....which I have heard used repeatedly over the years ...I guess
it is a lot simpler to say that than ..... that fellow can really coordinate
the use of his thumb-middle and index finger and his forearm to send good
signals ......na .....I guess it has degenerated into the pressing of a
mike button to complain about one's health problems or making bizarre
noises either on purpose or by some wildly compressed splattering signal to
make up for poor operating skill Oh BTW don't forget my 10-10 number. But
I guess that pounding brass is more violent than flapping one's jaw

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Old April 19th 04, 04:52 AM
Alun

"garigue" wrote in
newsJEgc.164828$K91.421193@attbi_s02:

[...]

You really don't like phone do you? Nobody's forcing you to tune up to the
phone end of the band!
Old April 19th 04, 01:25 PM
William

Alun wrote in message . ..
[...]

Definitely a phonaphobe!

If I recall my Morse Code instruction, you don't use your fist on the
key. You gently hold the knob between your between your thumb and
index (and middle) finger.

Ah well, it's all going away soon anyhow.
Old April 19th 04, 02:47 PM
Alun

(William) wrote in
m:

Alun wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Already gone in Switzerland, the UK, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands,
Norway, Papua Niugini, etc. Soon to go in France (awaiting a signature). It
will go here too when the FCC eventually gets it's act together.

And you're right, you aren't supposed to use your fist, but I suppose their
name does come from the 'good fist' expression.

We all have an agenda, I suppose. I happen to think it's just plain wrong
to force phone ops to learn code. And yes, we were forced. I had to learn
20wpm to get on the DX end of the phone subbands, and don't tell me I
'chose' to do that, 'cos I didn't.
Old April 19th 04, 04:37 PM
Mike Coslo

Alun wrote:
(William) wrote in
m:

Alun wrote in message

[...]

Don't worry, Alun. they are making up for the injustices forced upon
you and me by making sure that we are not forcing much of anything on
anybody soon.

People that only wanted to talk on their radios were being forced to
learn some stupid theory and other likewise irrelevant (to them)
material just to get the license.

The No-code people are getting what they asked for, although not
necessarily what they wanted.

We embark on an interesting social experiment in the Amateur radio service.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 19th 04, 10:56 PM
garigue

[...]

No Alun I like phone .....I get on 2 meters with the local hams ...if you
are ever on I-70 give a call on the 147.27 machine. I do, admittedly on
occasion, get on HF phone and have had good conversations with others. I
will say how ever that most of the poorest operating practices occur there.
I derive more hassle free operation via CW and data. The above was in
response to a mildly thought out troll.

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Old April 19th 04, 11:07 PM
garigue

Definitely a phonaphobe!

I am not afraid of phone on a personal level ....but I forsee the
destruction of the CW portions of the band if subbands are not maintained
....ditto I may say regarding the displacement of data.

If I recall my Morse Code instruction, you don't use your fist on the
key. You gently hold the knob between your between your thumb and
index (and middle) finger.

Ah well, it's all going away soon anyhow.

William ...we are all going away sooner or later ...... I am not going to
rent my cloak or sit in the neighborhood ash pit pouring the same over my
brow when and if CW leaves. There are a myriad of things that interest me
and when CW goes ....it goes.

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Old April 19th 04, 11:13 PM
garigue

We all have an agenda, I suppose. I happen to think it's just plain wrong
to force phone ops to learn code. And yes, we were forced. I had to learn
20wpm to get on the DX end of the phone subbands, and don't tell me I
'chose' to do that, 'cos I didn't.

Ya ya did ....lest you would not be operating with a "ham" ticket. Just
like I had to learn obscure musculature functions that I have not needed
since my state boards 32 years ago. It is all a part of the process defined
by others and bemoaned by the underlings but that is the way it was and is
....don't want to do it fine ....then take another tack.

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Old April 19th 04, 11:17 PM
garigue

Don't worry, Alun. they are making up for the injustices forced upon
you and me by making sure that we are not forcing much of anything on
anybody soon.

People that only wanted to talk on their radios were being forced to
learn some stupid theory and other likewise irrelevant (to them)
material just to get the license.

The No-code people are getting what they asked for, although not
necessarily what they wanted.

We embark on an interesting social experiment in the Amateur radio

service.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Yepper Mike just like that little fellow in QST who viewed a safety error
.....hold on to your hats ...say what you will but we are all in for an
interesting ride.

73 Tom Popovic KI3R Belle Vernon Pa.

Old April 20th 04, 01:12 AM
Alun

"garigue" wrote in

[...]

I passed that way a few days ago. I use the turnpike to visit my cousin in
Michigan (I am in Maryland). I might just try calling you next time,
although I'm not sure when that will be.

73 de Alun, N3KIP