Old April 20th 04, 01:34 AM
Mike Coslo

garigue wrote:

No Alun I like phone .....I get on 2 meters with the local hams ...if you
are ever on I-70 give a call on the 147.27 machine. I do, admittedly on
occasion, get on HF phone and have had good conversations with others. I
will say how ever that most of the poorest operating practices occur there.
I derive more hassle free operation via CW and data. The above was in
response to a mildly thought out troll.

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Tom, do you do psk31? Forgive if I've asked you this before! But If you
can do 80 psk, we should have a decent path. I don't know about 20
meters, but would even like to light up on 40 - maybe get more interest
going on that band for PSK.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 20th 04, 03:05 AM
William

"garigue" wrote in message news:reYgc.173397$JO3.100813@attbi_s04...

Don't worry, Alun. they are making up for the injustices forced upon
you and me by making sure that we are not forcing much of anything on
anybody soon.

People that only wanted to talk on their radios were being forced to
learn some stupid theory and other likewise irrelevant (to them)
material just to get the license.

The No-code people are getting what they asked for, although not
necessarily what they wanted.

We embark on an interesting social experiment in the Amateur radio

service.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Yepper Mike just like that little fellow in QST who viewed a safety error
....hold on to your hats ...say what you will but we are all in for an
interesting ride.

73 Tom Popovic KI3R Belle Vernon Pa.

What little feller in QST? What safety error? What ride?

Tom, you gotta be more specific.
Old April 20th 04, 03:07 AM
William

"garigue" wrote in message news:c4Ygc.173363$JO3.99349@attbi_s04...
Definitely a phonaphobe!

I am not afraid of phone on a personal level ....but I forsee the
destruction of the CW portions of the band if subbands are not maintained
...ditto I may say regarding the displacement of data.

If I recall my Morse Code instruction, you don't use your fist on the
key. You gently hold the knob between your between your thumb and
index (and middle) finger.

Ah well, it's all going away soon anyhow.

William ...we are all going away sooner or later ...... I am not going to
rent my cloak or sit in the neighborhood ash pit pouring the same over my
brow when and if CW leaves. There are a myriad of things that interest me
and when CW goes ....it goes.

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Yep. I went fishing with my Grandpap at Virgin Run before he passed.
You ever fished there?
Old April 20th 04, 04:15 AM
garigue

I think we already know what the FCC will do re the phone subbands.
Although the FCC haven't responded to the WRC petitions, they just

released
a new NPRM on some other assorted issues and it offers an additional 25

kHz
of phone on each of 80 and 40. That ain't much, certainly less than I

would
like, and scarcely enough to upset the CW guys (although there's bound to
be someone!). I think we can take it that will be finalised in the near
future.

73 de Alun, N3KIP

Hello Alun .... ain't upset with 25 kcs .....hopefully that will bring more
DX to the phone guys but I would probably bet the kid's shoe money that the
foreign phone ops will be more upset than the domestic CW ops.

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Old April 20th 04, 04:21 AM
Phil Kane

On 19 Apr 2004 03:52:28 GMT, Alun wrote:

BTW don't forget my 10-10 number. But I guess that pounding brass is
more violent than flapping one's jaw

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

You really don't like phone do you? Nobody's forcing you to tune up to the
phone end of the band!

I suspect that Tom, like myself, likes phone well enough but does not
like what some people do on "phone"......

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old April 20th 04, 04:21 AM
Phil Kane

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:07:04 GMT, garigue wrote:

William ...we are all going away sooner or later ...... I am not going to
rent my cloak or sit in the neighborhood ash pit pouring the same over my
brow when and if CW leaves. There are a myriad of things that interest me
and when CW goes ....it goes.

Where is CW going? I've not heard of any rational proposals by
regulators to ban CW from amateur radio. In fact, CW is not banned
from the Maritime Services either - it just isn't required as it
once was for distress and safety purposes.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Old April 20th 04, 04:21 AM
garigue

Yep. I went fishing with my Grandpap at Virgin Run before he passed.
You ever fished there?

Sure did ...my dad. brothers and I would go there a lot and also on the
Youghiogheny down at Whitsett. That is something I need to do more of. I
am about a mile and a half from the Mon here and really need to break out
the equipment.

73 Tom KI3R

Old April 20th 04, 04:52 AM
garigue

William ...we are all going away sooner or later ...... I am not going to
rent my cloak or sit in the neighborhood ash pit pouring the same over my
brow when and if CW leaves. There are a myriad of things that interest

me
and when CW goes ....it goes.

Where is CW going? I've not heard of any rational proposals by
regulators to ban CW from amateur radio. In fact, CW is not banned
from the Maritime Services either - it just isn't required as it
once was for distress and safety purposes.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Phil ......I will have long become an integral part of the ash pit when that
happens ...

73 Tom KI3R

Old April 20th 04, 04:53 AM
garigue

I suspect that Tom, like myself, likes phone well enough but does not
like what some people do on "phone"......

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Zactly Phil zactly ....

73 Tom KI3R

Old April 20th 04, 02:56 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
et...
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:07:04 GMT, garigue wrote:

William ...we are all going away sooner or later ...... I am not going to
rent my cloak or sit in the neighborhood ash pit pouring the same over my
brow when and if CW leaves. There are a myriad of things that interest

me
and when CW goes ....it goes.

Where is CW going? I've not heard of any rational proposals by
regulators to ban CW from amateur radio. In fact, CW is not banned
from the Maritime Services either - it just isn't required as it
once was for distress and safety purposes.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

These days I see more and more of the "rare" DX hiding down in the CW bands,
especially in the Extra portion.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE