Old May 1st 04, 06:43 PM
King Zulu

Default How to prove prior ham license ??

How to prove prior ham license ??

Herbert Fischer would like to show that he held a valid ham license (WN1UYH)
in 1954 that required the 5 wpm code proficiency. Without the actual
license, is there a way to prove he held the license? (Maybe a copy of the
old CallBook page with his call would work?)

All suggestions welcomed.

AK

Old May 1st 04, 07:29 PM
KØHB

Herbert Fischer would like to show that he held a valid ham license

(WN1UYH)
in 1954 that required the 5 wpm code proficiency. Without the actual
license, is there a way to prove he held the license?

Contact QCWA ----- http://www.qcwa.org

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old May 1st 04, 07:42 PM
King Zulu

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

Herbert Fischer would like to show that he held a valid ham license

(WN1UYH)
in 1954 that required the 5 wpm code proficiency. Without the actual
license, is there a way to prove he held the license?

Contact QCWA ----- http://www.qcwa.org

73, de Hans, K0HB

And then ? AK

Old May 1st 04, 08:13 PM
KØHB

"King Zulu" wrote

And then ? AK

QCWA has a library of old-timey callbooks. Ask them to look up the call
in that time frame. Or not, if you don't want to --- suit yourself.

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB

Old May 1st 04, 08:34 PM
King Zulu

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"King Zulu" wrote

And then ? AK

QCWA has a library of old-timey callbooks. Ask them to look up the call
in that time frame. Or not, if you don't want to --- suit yourself.

Be glad to, Hans. It just wasn't clear where to go next next once at the
QCWA website.
Thanks, AK -- helping out a neighbor who was a ham a long time ago.

Old May 2nd 04, 04:21 AM
KØHB

"Barry OGrady" wrote

Would the FCC have a record of such?

Yes, buried in some dusty paper archive in a low humidity cave in Resume
Speed, Alabama. They won't go look.

But there's a commercial firm licensed to go into the catacomb and
search, which they'll be happy to do for a modest fee of about $122.85
per half-hour, results not guaranteed.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old May 2nd 04, 05:35 PM
Alun

"KØHB" wrote in news:iPZkc.2401$Hs1.1375
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"Barry OGrady" wrote

Would the FCC have a record of such?

Yes, buried in some dusty paper archive in a low humidity cave in Resume
Speed, Alabama. They won't go look.

But there's a commercial firm licensed to go into the catacomb and
search, which they'll be happy to do for a modest fee of about $122.85
per half-hour, results not guaranteed.

73, de Hans, K0HB

There used to be a set of callbooks for multiple years in the back room at
the now defunct Maryland Radio. This room was used for VE tests and the
store was in Laurel, so it is possible they may be in the posession of the
Laurel VEC.
Old May 2nd 04, 09:29 PM
Jim Hampton

Hello, Hans

Well, I still have my novice license (issued in 1962). I got out of amateur
radio (licensed then as N2JH) around 1981. Fortunately, when I decided to
get back into amateur radio, I didn't wait for all of the giveaways (5 word
per minute code or codeless tech license). Of course, some will still wait
for the code to go away (and codeless techs be promoted to 1 star general).
At my age, I couldn't afford to wait; besides, 20 words per minute isn't all
the difficult - even after not hearing Morse since 1969 (with the sole
exception of the movie "Fantastic Voyage").

BTW, the written exams aren't exactly "difficult", given that an 8 year old
can pass 'em )

Of course, some will still wait for the day they package amateur licenses in
boxes of "Cracker Jax" LOL

Best regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Barry OGrady" wrote

Would the FCC have a record of such?

Yes, buried in some dusty paper archive in a low humidity cave in Resume
Speed, Alabama. They won't go look.

But there's a commercial firm licensed to go into the catacomb and
search, which they'll be happy to do for a modest fee of about $122.85
per half-hour, results not guaranteed.

73, de Hans, K0HB

---

Old May 3rd 04, 08:30 PM
Phil Kane

On Sun, 02 May 2004 03:21:50 GMT, KØHB wrote:

Would the FCC have a record of such?

Yes, buried in some dusty paper archive in a low humidity cave in Resume
Speed, Alabama. They won't go look.

But there's a commercial firm licensed to go into the catacomb and
search, which they'll be happy to do for a modest fee of about $122.85
per half-hour, results not guaranteed.

That's what happens when the gov'mint is forced to privatize what we
should be getting in return for our taxes.

Federal Archive searches are not all that bad (I had to do it once)
provided that you know the box number in which the desired material
is stored. The agency has those lists, but finding the right person
in the agency to give you the magic number is an exercise in itself.

The Leo Ryan National Archives Repository in suburban San Francisco
is in a delightful park adjacent to the vast open green space known
as the Golden Gate National Cemetery. I've been in "big box" retail
stores that had less aisle room. I understand that now you give
them the box number and they bring it to you in a library-type
reading room.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
There is no International Code Requirement and techs can operate HF according to FCC Rules JJ General 159 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
ATTN: Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st Dwight Stewart Policy 300 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM