Old May 10th 04, 03:12 AM
Mike Coslo

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I picked this up off of my listserver group "CitizenSoldiers" on
YahooGroups. I find it interesting that Cingular
actually went to the effort of acknowledging thier limitations. I wish

they'd

actually said something to the effect of
"if ya ain't bleeding or drowning, stay off the phone"......

I had to chuckle that you are supposed to stay off the phone, but are
supposed to buy more cell phones!!!

- Mike KB3EIA -

I am ready. I got rid of my cell phones 3 years ago. And now have two
pieces of wire connected to tacks on a plywood base. These are all hooked
to a ham CW transmitter.

Oh no...that won't work either. No one knows the code anymore.

The way I look at it is that there are levels of disasters. Small scale
stuff will work with cell phones.

Big disasters need hf comms. If a really big one comes along, that CW is
going to start looking pretty good. For all the ops that might think
that phone is the way to go - and if the conditions support it, then
that's great.

But if you are the station trying to get communications going from a
devastated area, you might be trying to nurse a station along on a weak
battery, or working with a jury rigged antenna of questionable
performance, that CW operation may just be critical.

I am marginal at Morse CW, (by comparison with most) but I can do it
acceptably when I need to.

And that is why I support the continued testing for it. We *don't*
know who is going to end up being the point man in a big disaster, but
whoever it is should know how to communicate with whatever they can
communicate with.

And that is what I think a lot of people DON'T UNDERSTAND. It isn't
about the person sitting in comfort taking info from the disaster area.
It is about the random ham that is at ground zero. Is he or she going to
be able to do the job?

Of course I am one of those nerds that takes all the Red Cross courses
in first aid and CPR and defib etc. Hopefully I'll never need to use
this training beyond the first aid part, but I suspect the person that I
am called upon to help in extremis might find that training of interest!

Technology....ain't it wonderful?

Sometimes!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 10th 04, 04:30 AM
JJ

Jim D wrote:

Cell phones are a joke in emergency situations, because cell systems
have little reserve capacity built in and are quickly overloaded.
They are totally useless and you shouldn't even assume that they are
going to work during an emergency situation.

Oh my, now you are going to upset those who think the cell network is
vital to communications in an emergency.

Old May 10th 04, 04:37 PM
Jim Hampton

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Jim Hampton wrote:

Hello, Mike

Yep, I *love* that suggestion about programming in 911. Now, instead of
having to hit three buttons (9-1-1), you simply hit "memory-0-1".

Wow! I *am* impressed )

hehe. Just like I have said on other subjects, you can't make things
easy enough for some people. Even if the convenience insn't any more
convenient.

I also like the idea about buying more cell phones. If the lines are

all
busy due to overloading, you have your whole family try dialing on 10

cell
phones. You increase your chances *ten* times! Reminder to self: go

buy
100 lottery tickets; instead of 1 chance in 12 million, I'd have one

chance
in 120 thousand. Golly gee. Who'd have thunk?

That is an important consideration. When there is an emergency, such as
ice storm or hurricane or the like, it is incredibly compelling. Parents
want to call their parents, big sis wants to call her best friend to see
if she is alright, and little brother want's to compare freaky disaster
notes with his bud's.

If you've ever been in one, it is almost impossible to resist. You know
that loved ones are worried sick about your predicament, and if you have
a family of 3, and 3 cell phones, I'll wager that all three will be tried.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

And from your QTH, I know you've been involved in some wethear
disasters lately! 8^) We've hade them here in State College over the
last 10 years, and cell service has gone out almost immediately. More
cell phones will simply put it out of commission a few seconds quicker.

- mike KB3EIA -

One interesting thing, Mike

I keep hearing how the repeaters aren't useful and they go out when the
power goes down. I dunno, but when we had the big blackout - almost all of
the repeaters were still hummin' away There are at least two repeaters
that aren't even connected to the mains. One is solar powered; the other is
windmill powered. Regardless, my HT through the repeaters, gives me
excellent coverage from Syracuse to the East, to Pennsylvania to the South,
past Buffalo to the West, and through Toronto to the North. That is pretty
fair 24/7 coverage.

One exception - the 10 meter port can open up worldwide, but that doesn't
count for emergency use LOL.

BTW, I also don't buy lottery tickets. That is one reason I never win

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

---

Old May 11th 04, 12:30 AM
Mike Coslo

Jim Hampton wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Jim Hampton wrote:

[...]

Our repeater system has diesel generators at each site that will
operate for over a week in the event of power failure. they hardly even
hiccup for loss of mains power!

There are at least two repeaters
that aren't even connected to the mains. One is solar powered; the other is
windmill powered.

Now that is cool. I've toyed around with the idea of going solar
myself. It is a great thing for a repeater tho'.

Regardless, my HT through the repeaters, gives me
excellent coverage from Syracuse to the East, to Pennsylvania to the South,
past Buffalo to the West, and through Toronto to the North. That is pretty
fair 24/7 coverage.

One exception - the 10 meter port can open up worldwide, but that doesn't
count for emergency use LOL.

BTW, I also don't buy lottery tickets. That is one reason I never win

hehe, neither do I.

- Mike KB3EIA -