Old June 14th 04, 08:58 PM
Robert Casey

"Use the Right Phonetics" as the best article in
our national Journal for May.

Dang! I wanted to get the vanity call "K2EO" and use phonetics
"Knife Two Experiment Opposum"

:-)

Old June 14th 04, 11:08 PM
Brian Kelly

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message ...
"Brian Kelly" wrote in message

I find that people have a high error percentage in getting my call

correct
even with a clear, strong FM signal unless I give it at least once
phonetically. While my call is N8UZE, the Z is frequently repeated

back to
me as B, C, D, G, P, T, or V. The only people who don't make that

mistake
are those who have known me for a while and are familiar with my call.

There's an ancient quick fix for that problem. Use N 8 U Zed E.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

w3rv

I am aware of that but am not used to it, not having grown up around
speakers of French or people from Canada or near the Canadian border.

I didn't realize "Zed" has a "French connection". Live and learn. I
never noticed that there are any regional trends to it's use, I'm ten
minutes from the Mason-Dixon line and it's been SOP everywere I've
tuned since AM days. It's used unconsciously even on the machines and
in face-to-face conversation. N 3 N Zed is one of the locals, I
suspect that if somebody called him N 3 N Zee it would cause a
back-up-and-think-about-it moment. Maybe it's just an Old Fart thing.
Heh.

Besides, I like to make absolutely sure that someone I've never spoken to
before gets it right. Occasionally the "E" also causes problems.

I have a long-established policy: I *always* use phonetics to open
*every* QSO with somebody I haven't worked previously, on HF or on the
machines. I really don't care if the machine politically-correctness
cops like it or not.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

w3rv
Old June 14th 04, 11:28 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
om...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

[...]

Yup, zed is the French name for the letter Z. It is NOT part of a phonetic
alphabet. Outside of ham radio (which I got into in 1992) you only hear it
in areas subject to French influence.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old June 15th 04, 12:15 AM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
Y'know, with all this discussion about different phonetic alphabets, people
confusing "Papa" with "Japan" and DX/contest folks using a completely different
set and being cornfuzed by anything else, it makes me wonder.

Doesn't all this add up to 'phone modes being "slow", "limited" and
"error-prone"?

No. Just as with Morse, there is proficiency built up by use. With a set
uof headphones, and the ability to adjust the volume and tone to where I
like it, even my rotten ears can work phone nicely. In the field days
and contests where I have worked high power, I have spent a lot of time
with weak phone signals. I have gone from asking for repeats in about 25
percent of the cases to almost never.

In fact, the whole phonetic debate is a little funny, since despite the
kvetching, an experienced operator can pick out the different phonetics
without getting his/her knickers in a twist.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 15th 04, 12:16 AM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[snip]
Quite possibly. I use the so called "proper" phonetics myself (though
prefering plain callsigns).

I'm just not terribly into telling people what they can or can't say on
the air as long as it is decent language.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Actually the DX station is not so much trying to tell people what to say as
telling them what works for him so that those calling the DX can maximize
their chances of getting through and the DX can maximize his results. I
personally would look at it as simply trying to facilitate communication.

Not communicating is not facilitating!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 15th 04, 12:18 AM
Mike Coslo

Robert Casey wrote:

I prefer that people simply say their callsign to me. Phonetics
annoy me mostly. When they use their phonetics, are they practicing
courtesy to me?

Only if the channel is low noise. On SSB HF DX, you need phonetics.
Pretty sure that there is no need for phonetics on CW.... :-)

Well, I know what seems to work for me. I even use straight callsign to
break through pileups.

- Mike KB3EIA -