Old June 12th 04, 05:56 AM
Len Over 21

In article et, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

That's true as long as the phonetics used don't obscure the meaning of words

or
the actual callsign.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

No, thank YOU, Captain Oblivious... :-)

LHA / WMD

[Armenian judges are tuning up their chant machines right now...]
Old June 12th 04, 05:56 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Leo
writes:

On 11 Jun 2004 20:27:22 GMT, (Len Over 21) wrote:

snip

1955 was 49 years ago.

Unfortunately true, as I was reminded on my birthday back in May....

snip

LHA / WMD

73, Leo

No, FORTUNATELY!

Glad you made it! Now the FUN begins. :-)

After you've lived and experienced a few eras in anything, you'll
find lots and lots of "experts" in that anything, who either "know
all about (from reading a book or seeing a movie)" or are some-
how so gifted in their relative youth that they are divine
messengers sent to enlighten all the hoi polloi and the koi.
:-)

Just the same, in 1955 we in the U.S. military got some mass-
mimeos on the "new" NATO phonetic alphabet to memorize
since it would become effective in a few months from that issue.
[the xerocopy machine wasn't a thing then and all orders, etc.,
were done in mimeograph form...which were "cut" on a type-
writer...hence the term "cutting orders (for this or that)."]

Good for some guffaws in discussion...like "foxtrot" for "fox"
(even the term "fox trot" had gone out of style in dancing in
favor of Latin American dances in that year...the "twist" had
several years to appear and Chubby Checker was probably
still thin). We learned "love" was out and "lima" was in (a lot
of beans that). Since we all knew "how," the "H" still became
"hotel." "Quebec" was a nice touch favoring the Canadians.
We learned a bit more respect for "mama" and "papa" and
"juliet" (for those of us who knew here, too).

"Zulu time" entered the military jargon (for the Z time zone
equal to GMT) and eventually entered TV entertainment through
the series "JAG." Scientists and metrologists were just then
beginning to argue UTC or Coordinated Universal Time (instead
of Zulu...smarts folks thought they were too good for the military
or something, which we would see in the 60s).

I sort of liked the old phonetic alphabet since my initials came
out Love How Able! "Lima Hotel Alpha" just doesn't have any
zing to it. (hi, hi...hotel india, hotel india...)

Hang in there for 50-plus! :-)

Old June 12th 04, 12:10 PM
Brian Kelly

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...
In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

Kellie should note that the U.S. MILITARY adopted the NATO
phonetic alphabet in 1955, not 1956.

The ICAO and the ITU globally and the FAA, ANSI and the ARRL inside
the U.S. all agreed upon the same phonetic alphabet and it lives on
today. That's a documented 100% correct statement. What's your point
Putz?

Answer: "I'm just the local neighborhood putz, I don't have a point, I
never did and I never will".

[as one who was IN the
U.S. Army at the time, and in radio communications work, I am
quite familiar with that adoption, about as first-hand as one can
get (without shooting off his catapult)]

Golly dayum and holy cow, I wish I was there when you used them there
NATO phonetics on the Army RTTY repeaters you babysat. NATO-issued
RTTY microphones?

1955 was 49 years ago.
Is Kellie POSITIVE the ARRL adopted the NATO phonetic
alphabet 49 years ago? Or even 48 years ago?

The ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) may also
have selected the NATO phonetic alphabet in 1955, rather than
1956, but I expect a lot of outraged protests on that... :-)

I do know it is NOT the "ICAO phonetic alphabet"

except for a
bunch of anti-military peacenik hardliners will never admit to the
existance of NATO, therefore they want to rename it for "ICAO."

SNORES

Kellie will now start mumbling "putz" and other Yiddish
endearments... :-)

Can't even start to be bothered, "The Putz" obviously works just fine
for everybody around here.

SK dit dit.

LHA / WMD

Old June 12th 04, 01:17 PM
Brian Kelly

"KØHB" wrote in message ink.net...
"Mike Coslo" wrote

I often don't. I don't know about other hams, but I can make out a
person's call better if they just SAY it.

Absolutely! Under most conditions the use of phonetics isn't much
needed.

Interestingly, in the amateur radio activities where speed and
readability under marginal conditions count the most (contesting and
dx'ing), the predominate phonetic set mostly uses international place
names.

A......AMERICA
B......BRAZIL
C......CANADA
D......DENMARK
E......ENGLAND
F......FRANCE
G.....GERMANY
H.....HONOLULU
I.......ITALY
J......JAPAN
K......KILOWATT
L......LONDON
M......MEXICO
N......NORWAY
O......ONTARIO
P......PORTUGAL
Q......QUEBEC
R......RADIO
S......SANTIAGO
T......TOKYO
U......UNITED
V...... VICTORIA
W......WASHINGTON
X......X-RAY
Y......YOKOHAMA
Z...... ZANZIBAR

Back when my call was w3yik and I used Washington Thuree Yokohama
Italy Kilowatt the guy on the other end of the pileup often worked
three whilst waiting for me to finish my long-winded ID speil. Hideous
phonetics. Whiskey Thuree Yolk Ida Kilo worked much better. I think
those were some sort of ancient military standard phonetics.

Then I "transitioned" from ham radio to a bit of flying. Early in that
experience I called Philips Army on Unicom and used "my" phonetics to
ask permission to pass thru their control zone at 1200. The freq lit
up like the tower of babble, Philips tower simply ignored me so I had
to wind a couple spot 360s up to 3500 and climb over the control zone
instead getting their permission to fly thru it.

I dunno how many others reamed me a new one good for using squirrely
phonetics. It didn't get any better when I got back on the ground and
to deal with the hanger bums who also heard it all.

I ain't never going thru anything like that again no way nohow.

Today "Romeo Victor" cuts thru the crap like a knife. You couldn't pay
me enough to use "radio victoria" if the guy is a new one. And "we"
don't much bother with our prefixes in the pileups these days huh
Hans?

73, de Hans, K0HB

w3rv
Old June 12th 04, 06:53 PM
Alun

"KØHB" wrote in news:Pgsyc.2138$Wr.1801
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

"Alun" wrote in message
"KØHB" wrote in news:7Aryc.2100$Wr.1723
[...]

I already explained that Japan is suceptible of confusion with Papa.
Jamaica would be better.

But it hasn't ever been confused with Portugal.

You are free to use Jamaica if you wish, but most experienced contesters
will have to do a mental double-clutch to copy you. There goes your
Q-rate spiraling down the crapper.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Hamming for 45 years this month, and it just keeps getting better.

Any word that sounds like a different letter in the international phonetic
alphabet should be avoided like the plague
Old June 12th 04, 07:03 PM
KØHB

"Alun" wrote
I already explained that Japan is suceptible of confusion with

Papa.
Jamaica would be better.

But it hasn't ever been confused with Portugal.

You are free to use Jamaica if you wish, but most experienced

contesters
will have to do a mental double-clutch to copy you. There goes your
Q-rate spiraling down the crapper.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Hamming for 45 years this month, and it just keeps getting better.

Any word that sounds like a different letter in the international

phonetic
alphabet should be avoided like the plague

Experience trumps theory, and in my experience using "Jamaica" as
phonetics for "J" would call for an instant fill and put a 3dB
down-spike on my rate meter.

If it's all the same with you, I'll just run down to the clinic and get
a plague shot and then continue my sinful ways.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old June 13th 04, 04:18 AM
Alun

"KØHB" wrote in news:%zHyc.2703$Wr.1505
[...]

You can do whatever you like, but it is precisely _because_ you and others
use 'Japan' as a phonetic that I have problems with people who think that
was what I said when I correctly pronounce the correct phonetic for the
letter P. This sucks!