Old June 10th 04, 03:12 PM
Keyboard In The Noise

Default W10XEG -- new info

The originator of the W10XEG question supplies the following new info:

Actually, the W10 call is most likely a commercial call. There were several
'repeaters' that were used very early in the establishment of the radio, and
then commercial television networks - it may be one of those. The X is for
experimental, no doubt. My Dad was very active with RCA very early on. The
first experimental TV signals in NYC were on 21 MHz, broadcast from the
Empire State Bldg - my Dad was chief engineer for the transmitter. One of
the many experimental transmitters he put on the air was W10XEG - I just
have no data about it at all.

--
Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"

Old June 10th 04, 06:10 PM
Keyboard In The Noise

Nope don't think so as the W10XEG dates back to the 1930's
Latest is it was probably an experimental commercial call issued for a
station in NY. Holder worked for RCA

--
Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"
"K Networking" wrote in message
There is a pirate (unlicensed) station which has used a call sign very
similar to that for years. Wonder if the operator has any relation to
what you are talking about?

Mike

Old June 11th 04, 12:26 AM
Keyboard In The Noise

Maybe out of US Jurisdiction ???

--
Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"
"K Networking" wrote in message
I am sure you are correct, but I am wondering if the person(s) operating
this pirate know something about radio history and want to be
nostalgic. Seems they have an axe to grind agains the commission and
are in fact operating right under the nose of a local office......wonder

why
they haven't been shut down yet?

Old June 11th 04, 10:28 PM
Richard L. Tannehill

Keyboard In The Noise wrote:

The originator of the W10XEG question supplies the following new info:

Actually, the W10 call is most likely a commercial call. There were several
'repeaters' that were used very early in the establishment of the radio, and
then commercial television networks - it may be one of those. The X is for
experimental, no doubt. My Dad was very active with RCA very early on. The
first experimental TV signals in NYC were on 21 MHz, broadcast from the
Empire State Bldg - my Dad was chief engineer for the transmitter. One of
the many experimental transmitters he put on the air was W10XEG - I just
have no data about it at all.

--
Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"

I had heard that the early "Channel 1" TV stations in NY and
Chicago were in part of the later 6M amateur band; 48-54 MHz
if I remember correctly. That is why there is no TV Channel
1 today. After WWII, the 6 M band was carved out about the
time the VHF TV channels were allocated. Do you have any
hard info about the use of 21 MHz for TV Ch-1?

Rick Tannehill
W7RT
Old June 12th 04, 02:05 AM
Da Shadow

Richard -- this all started when an inquiry was made by a gentleman whose
Dad worked for RCA and had license W10XEG in the 1930's

It appears he worked for RCA conducting early TV experiments and the
following quote heralds the early TV experiments on top of the Empire stae
building

Quote from URL: http://www.earlytelevision.org/pendletonpaper.html

"The first all-electronic American systems in 1932 used only 120 scanning
lines at 24 frames per second. This produced a blurry image with visible,
thick scanning lines and a noticeable amount of flicker. RCA transmitted
from both their Camden, New Jersey laboratories as well as from atop the
Empire State Building to a handful of experimental television receivers
located within a few miles of both areas.14 "

Also note that some early TV experimental stations operated around 2 Mcs --
see URL:
http://members.aol.com/jeff560/chronotv.html
Quote:
"Mar. 30, 1929. Radio Service Bulletin lists these new stations: W9XAO
Chicago IL (Nelson Brothers Bond and Mortgage Co.) 2.0-2.1 MHz, 500 watts;
W2XCR Jersey City NJ (Jenkins Television Corporation) 2.1-2.2 MHz, 5000
watts; W2XCL Brooklyn NY (Pilot Electric Manufacturing Co.) 2.0-2.1,
2.75-2.85 MHz, 250 watts; W2XCO New York (RCA) 2.1-2.2 MHz, 5000 watts; W2XR
New York (John V. L. Hogan), 500 watts (visual broadcasting and
experimental); W2XCW Schenectady (General Electric) 2.1-2.2 MHz 20,000
watts."

So I suspect that the sender meant 2.1 Mcs not 21 Mcs

You are correct about the later TV allotments which can be seen at URL:
http://members.aol.com/jeff560/jeff.html

Also What happened to Channel one at
http://members.aol.com/jeff560/tvch1.html
--
Keyboard

Old June 13th 04, 12:00 AM
Richard L. Tannehill

Da Shadow wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the good info. There were more revisions of the
television bandplan that I thought between 1930 and 1947.

Rick Tannehill
W7RT